YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 01-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #76  

Thanks Nikki!!!
MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #77  
No pain, No gain...darn.

WTG Misty and Nikki on ya'lls weight loss! I'm so proud to be in a group that's doin' something! Ya'll are motivating me!

Well, I just got back in from walking. The weather is much nicer (actually hot now...just loooove Florida...not...I am thankful I live here, though). I did a mile in a little over 20 minutes. I was really proud of myself because I stretched myself to do more than I intended. As I'm walking, I set little goals for myself to go a little further or light jog to a certain house or something (usually very small distances! LOL!). In the beginning, I was only gonna walk 2 blocks, which would've been 1/2 a mile...but I ended up making my mind up at the last minute and just walked down the extra block and then my block home! AND when I was on my block, I jogged a little too...and I went past my goal driveway (I only jogged for like 2 houses)!! Hee!

I'm not doing well on my diet today...I'm not eating enough. See, that's my problem. I've never been an overeater...I was just making the wrong choices. So, I used to have no breakfast, one fudge round for lunch and then dinner. Well, today, I didn't have breakfast because we overslept (oopsie!)...when I did get up, I walked and then came home and just ate a banana. That's all I've had today. Better than a fudge round! BUT not good...so, I'm gonna have to go in there and make myself a grilled chicken salad. Dinner's easy cuz we're having leftover soup. YUM! K...I'm gettin' hungry now!

OH...Misty and Summer...another idea for your quilt is to send them the muslin blocks and include a stamped envelope for them to send it back to you by a certain date (you have plenty of time to do that if her b-day's not til march)...that way, you could make the quilt and have it there to present to her AT the party!!!
BTW...Nikki...I love your idea!! I have a couple of questiones...do you write directly onto the muslin or the freezer paper (they'll probably want to specify that to the guests)? And also, do you have to use a certain type of pen or marker so it shows up and doesn't wash off? I'm thinking of doing this for someone I know too!
PrincessCherryJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

Hi Amanda-

First of all go you for walking a mile

You write on the Muslin not the paper and you use a permenant fabric marker that you can get at any craft store. They even come in colors.

Love and Light
Nikki
Nikki128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #79  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hi all. things have not been great. My diet has just not gone well. I don't mean diet diet, I mean how I am eating. You guys know what I mean Anyway I have just been making very poor choices lately. Did not even weigh in today. I know that it is going to say that I'm either up or at the same. No way I could have lost anything. So I was feeling a bit down so I hit the exercise bike and had a long bath afterwards and now I"m feeling more positive. I'm going to work hard at making sure I am getting my exercise in, it always perks me up no matter what.

Here's some good news, my 4 year old is starting JK tomorrow. We really weren't going to send him until he was 5. Before we moved he was in an awesome day care which was more like a preschool but after we moved there was only 1 daycare that did full days so we had to send him there. It is not really awful but it is not like the other place and he doesn't like it much. It has been a struggle to get him there. There have been times I have had to drag him out of the car kicking and screaming almost. Then after I'm gone he is fine and is fine when I pick him up. I don't know what it is all about really. I guess there was a kid who was picking on him so I"m sure that is part of it and also there is a younger kid who has a really bad home life and tends to hit a lot. So I think my son has gotten hit by him a few times but wouldn't hit back because we've taught him better but yesterday he did hit the kid back. Well this is not something I want to promote so we decided to send him to JK where at least he'll be around kids who are his own age where at the daycare they have kids of all ages in one big group. He'll still go to the daycare part-time, right now only a few hours in the morning and then to JK in the afternoon. I hope we are doing the right thing and that he likes it.

Misty and Sums - I think the quilt idea is fabulous. It is something your grandmother will treasure.

Nikki - congrats on the loss!

Amanda - good job with the walking! I'll think of you in Florida when I'm bundling up in coat, hat, scarf and mitts to go outside.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:11 AM   #80  
No pain, No gain...darn.

OMG! I totally messed up today. I did not do well at all! I was major stressed because I had to go to the dentist and get a crown. I have an immunity to novocaine, so the denist is one of my biggest fears since I was a kid (and also since I had a root canal by a crappy dentist two years ago...he wouldn't believe me when I said I could FEEL him drilling...he had to give me 3x the amount of shots as a normal root canal...he wouldn't tell me how much lidocaine he used because I think it was probably way over the amount allowed). When I go to the dentist, I think of the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors. AAAHHH!!!!

Anyway, so I stressed all day, couldn't eat, didn't exercise...THEN, I ended up eating a banana and some strawberries...with chocolate on them. It was actually quite comical because I felt like God was trying to teach me a lesson for cheating on myself...I BURNT THE CHOCOLATE IN THE MICROWAVE!!! LOL!! I ended up eating the banana dipped in it anyway, but boy did that ruin the whole effect. It's pretty bad that I suffered myself through it just so I could have the chocolate on the fruit, though. THEN, tonight, we went to dinner and my mouth was still numb from the dentist. I wanted to reward myself for getting through the appointment...so we went for wings and beer at one of my fave restaurants and afterwards I bought peanut butter cups at Target. Some reward huh! LOL! I couldn't even hardly taste the wing sauce and the beer was Michelob Ultra, so that at least was low carb/low calorie beer. This day was soooo totally messed up! The worst part is that everytime I tried to cheat, it backfired on me!! And to tell you the truth, I feel like crap right now for the way my day went eating-wise and not exercising..my body just feels yucky and I'm still hungry. I'll just have to get back on track tomorrow. Believe it or not, I'm really looking forward to doing better tomorrow!
Old 01-13-2006, 05:29 AM   #81  

Amanda-
Don't feel to bad about it. We all cheat. I know I will cheat this weekend. I am spending it with my bf and I usually have to drink a ton of soda to stay awake. I generally try to balance it out later in the week by drinking tons of water and eating less. Anyway, try your best and don't beat yoursef up to bad.

Love and Light
Nikki
Old 01-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #82  
Jen

I think a visit to the dentist deserves a little comfort food! I hate the dentist too, is there anyone who likes visiting the dentist?? I haven't been in about 3 years I think and I know I have something going on or I've developed a sensitivity on one side.

I rode my exercise bike again yesterday. I am so out of shape though it isn't funny. I used to be able to do 45 minutes at a low setting and not break a sweat, now 30 minutes feels like running a marathon. I think that more than anything else is helping me to stay on track a bit more.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #83  
No pain, No gain...darn.

Well ladies I did wonderful today. I slept alot I think because of the toothache and also I think I'm still not completely over the sicklies b/c my sinuses are icky today...we also had a big thunderstorm come through and the weather affects my body greatly. It's amazing how much the weather has to do with how I feel...I never believed it until I began to recognize it for what it was. Anyway, I managed to do a little exercising with Carmen...I only went through the routine once, though. Then, I tried to get some ab exercises in, but my dog kept jumping on me trying to play with me and my hair. Finally, she settled on top of my stomach and was content to watch me suffer doing slow crunches. I couldn't stop laughing too hard to get enough crunches in to make a difference...but laughing is good for abs, right? Hee hee. Anyway, I was also very proud of myself because we went to a place called Cafe Chocolat for dinner. They have really good healthy food there as well as decadent chocolate goodies and all kinds of desserts! I was sooooo proud of myself because I got a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread and a cup of black bean soup. I got grapes instead of chips and to drink I had a sugar-free caramel/chocolate nonfat latte! Mmmm! I felt like I indulged healthfully. Although I'm trying to stay away from bread altogether, I figurred whole wheat was better than white or rye. I just recently read an article about breads how most 'wheat', 'rye' and grain breads are really white bread disguised as healthy, according to the ingredients. So, I did good and made sure to ask that it was "whole wheat" instead of just wheat. So, I'm more proud of myself today than I was yesterday! Yay! I also hopped on the scale and it looks like I'm gonna lose a good amount as a total for the week. I'm trying to wait and 'weigh in' on Tuesdays. I should be in 'scales anonymous' because I love to get on the scale...even when I know it's not gonna tell me what I want to see! I also got a new scale that tracks each time I weigh...and it tells me how far I have to go to reach my goal. I have 66 pounds. Okay, I'm gonna go now...oh, btw, I'm sorry for posting soooo long each time...

OH...IS THIS MOVING TO ANOTHER THREAD? I THOUGHT I SAW SOMETHING MENTIONED IN THE BEGINNING ABOUT STARTING A NEW THREAD EACH WEEK? WHEN I GO TO MY SUBSCRIBED THREADS, IT DOESN'T PULL IT UP FOR THIS 'TIME PERIOD'...WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? JUST WANNA MAKE SURE I'M POSTING IN THE RIGHT PLACE!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #84  

Hi all!!

It's been a busy few days. I have been organizing all my reciepts from feeding the kids I babysit for. I figured out I make like $2.28 an hour! That SUCKS. So not worth my time. But I feel like I can't quit b/c who knows where these kdis will end up, the girl goes to school in the fall so if I can make it through spring and summer then it will get better. Plus, I know I should think of the money as being "ours" I don't. I am used to having my own income. SO I like being able to cash my paychecks and spen dit how I choose. Before I was babysitting when I would visit my friends in Rochester DH would give me like $20. $20 won't cover much. Now I can take what I want out my account and do a little shopping or pay for lunch for my friends and I. But it is alot of stress, and I don't get as much time with my kids which I can't put a price tag on. I did talk to the lady and she agreed to give me a raise to off set the cost of food. So that helps some.

Amanda-I am a scale junky too! I need to toss the thing out the window! Anyway, sorry about the dentist. I hope in the end it was worth getting it done and going through the pain, fear and emotions. I had to laugh at your exercis estory. Between the kids and the dogs (I have two) doing floor exercises around here is an exercise in fuitilty LOL. Great job on eating out healthy, that's what is all about! Living your life in a better way, while still living YOUR life.

Jen-Great Job on the exercise!! I know it's hard getting back into the swing of things. How's DS doing in his new school? I am debating about sending DD to preschool next year. I'm just not sure yet. Maybe I just can't let go yet.

Nikki-Hope you are having a fun weekend with BF!!!

Well I should head for bed. I am beat! Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:31 AM   #85  
Jen

Misty - my son is loving JK, he gets so much more out of it than daycare. He has not liked the new daycare for a long time, we finally found out what one of the problems was...there was a kid who was rather aggressive and taking it out on my son who never did anything to provoke him. The other kid is gone, actually is in JK too but it is a bigger group, more space, better discipline so there is no trouble. We thought it was just getting used to the new daycare but it is not really a great place. It is in this woman's house, there are too many of them for a small area, they try to have routines and programs but I don't think they are really followed. He is only going now when I am working nights because I don't get home early enough for my husband to go to work so he takes him to daycare, well I need sleep anyway. My schedule is changing at the beginning of next month and he will only go when I am working, otherwise I am keeping him home. At the old daycare I felt that he was getting a lot out of going, it was more like a preschool so it was worthwhile.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #86  

Good morning all!!!

How is it going? Amanda I meant to answer your question about the new trheads. I was think we'd start a new one each month. That way for thso ewho can't check in as often you don't have to go back through several trheads to check up, yet we don't end with 180 page trhead. Does starting a new thread on the first of each month work for everyone else?

I've got a little stomach bug or something today. Both my kids got sick to thier stomachs yesterday so must be something is going around. So my plan is to take it easy today. Have a great day everyone!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #87  

Morning All-

I am happy to report I got that job I went for on Thursday night . This is a major relief on many levels and the kids are awesome.

On a different note. I over ate this weekend. I am hoping to balance it out by Wed. Most of my gain is prob salt as I did not eat a lot but had a lot of salty foods like nachos and thai. Thai food is just awesome. I hope everyone is doing well.

Love and Light
Nikki
Old 01-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #88  

Congrats on the job Nikki!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:31 AM   #89  
No pain, No gain...darn.

Congrats on your new job Nikki!!!

A new thread at the beginning of each month sounds great to me.

I did okay over the weekend. It's been really cold here (freezes over the last couple of days), so I haven't been outside to exercise. I ended up exercising 3x last week, so we'll see how things go tomorrow when I "officially" weigh myself in for the record. My mom only weighs once a month...I just can't hack that! LOL! Anyway, over the weekend I did okay eating. We had Dairy Queen last night...but it was a kiddie sized cone and I shared it with my DH and ended up giving the rest to my two dogs. So, it was just enough to satisfy me. I am noticing that I'm not craving sugary stuff anymore. Part of it is probably b/c I allow myself to have a little if I want it- I just don't overindulge and keep eating after I'm satisfied. That's something I've learned from my hubby...he leaves food on his plate all the time when we go to restaurants. It's amazing how our upbringings affect us in this way so much later in life. I was raised to eat everything on my plate and couldn't leave the table til it was cleared. My dad was big on not wasting anything and to this day he's a penny pincher. DH was raised in a wealthier home-not rich, but not pinching pennies either. So, it was okay if they didn't like something...it was just thrown away (I'm sure his mom saved bigger items that weren't touched, though). So, I've had to recondition myself when we go out to eat...to not stuff myself full just because I'm trying to clear my plate. I've also found that veggies as sides are alot easier to clear off than starchy sides! They don't give you as large of a portion when you order the healthy stuff.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get out and walk today...see ya'll later!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #90  
Jen

Morning all. Oh boy do I feel so frustrated right now. My son was giving me trouble about going to daycare this morning. I was supposed to work last night but they didn't have an assignment for me so I stayed home on a vacation day. So normally when I don't work I let my son stay home a bit later, watch some cartoons and then he goes to daycare. Well today he didn't want to go at all. I sent him to his room and told him that if he didn't go to daycare he wasn't going to JK and he was going to spend the entire day in his room. That got him moving finally. At present I haven't contacted the school about me taking him to JK on the days when I am not working because I don't have my new schedule yet. I don't want to screw up their routines, heaven help me, I don't want to get on the bad side of the office staff and the bus drivers. So I just take him in for the sake of him having a bit of playtime with the other kids, then he has lunch then he gets on the bus for JK. He's there for like a total of 2 1/2 hours. Anyway I just feel so frustrated when he acts this way because I know that he does like it there, yeah I understand that there was a kid picking on him but that kid is gone, he knows that kid is not at daycare anymore. ARGH!!! Drives me nuts when he acts like this.

Okay enough of that. I had a protein shake for breakfast and I'm going to have a decent lunch soon and then ride my exercise bike. As of yesterday it's 4 months to my goal and I'm behind on where I should be for weight loss so I'd better pick up the pace a little.

Misty - hope you are feeling better.

Nikki - congrats on the new job, hope you really enjoy it.

Princess - you are so right about how the way we were raised affects our weight. I was raised the same way, always clean your plate. My mom gets upset when my son doesn't eat everything on his plate and she wonders why all 3 of her kids have weight problems. I don't force him to eat everything but he is bad for only eating a bit and then complaining later he is hungry. What he wants is junk food or some kind of treat but we've caught onto his game and if he's hungry later we just bring out the remains of his supper out of the fridge or he has to eat something like Cheerios. Not saying he never has treats, he has his fair share, but I am trying to do my best so that he doesn't go through the same things I did as an overweight child.