YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 06:57 PM   #16  

Teacher. This is your baby. I'll PM you and learn you how to do it.

Bad English inserted on purpose.

dip
Old 01-13-2004, 03:35 PM   #17  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

I know how to do it, if you want to start another thread. It's fine with me to just continue on this thread also. Didn't mean to be difficult...
Old 01-13-2004, 04:42 PM   #18  

I have a quick comment. I read several portions of Dr. Phil's book and it reminded me of a great book I received last year, Flip the Switch by Jim Karas. He's the guy on Good Morning America who helped Diane Sawyer lose 25 pounds and the one who worked with Oprah's best friend, Gayle King. It was very well written. I have lost 31.5 pounds during the last year. One of the things I concentrated on was doing strength and resistence training. It has dramatically changed my body shape and has done so much more for me than cardio.

Maybe you can also answer why Dr. Phil looks so heavy. He certainly could drop a few pounds himself. He seems to be pushing every product imaginable. I recommend food diaries and strength exercises, they work.

Barbara
Old 01-13-2004, 08:04 PM   #19  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Barbara, you succeeded in making me chuckle about Dr. Phil's weight. He has admitted to not being skinny. He said that he is at his "comfortable/healthy" weight for his age. I don't expect to become the weight I was when I was 21. I've had a child, several surgeries, gravity has taken over, and I am 39. I too am striving for a more "comfortable/healthy" weight. You crack me up! I don't know the other diet guy you mentioned.

Alright Dip, all of that technical stuff you wrote is over my head. I think I pulled a muscle in my brain reading that. If you guys want threads linked, Dippity doo da is gonna have to link them. All I know how to do for sure is start new threads.

So, let's get to Chapter 2. Dip will start us, okie dokie Dip?

I will see you all at the Chapter 2 thread! Ciao!

Summer
Old 01-13-2004, 09:32 PM   #20  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer40
Maybe you can also answer why Dr. Phil looks so heavy. He certainly could drop a few pounds himself. He seems to be pushing every product imaginable. I recommend food diaries and strength exercises, they work.

Barbara
The TV camera does add pounds as I've found out (much to my chagrin - fortunately the filming was taking place within the company I work at, so not too many people were 'exposed' but imagine the HORROR when I saw how FAT I looked on screen...aaggghh...). More than one of the Weight Loss Challengers has mentioned that they were surprised that Dr. Phil looks more svelte in person than on TV at a couple of points throughout the WLC shows.

And as far as the products, I agree that wasn't the best idea he's ever had, but he never mentions them during the show, the profits are given to a charitable organization, and the company distributing them had to sign an agreement (along with the TV stations airing his show) that they NOT be advertised before, during, or after the "Dr Phil" show is aired.

Remember too, that Dr. Phil was a football player - he has a football player's build (a "BIG GUY" - just look at those shoulders). I think he has a great message - the book is one of the best weight-loss-related books I have ever read, and I've read a *lot* of 'em. And the important thing is that it's GETTING OUT there to people - like I said, I don't think it was an especially great idea of his to endorse a line of products, but I admire the fact that he's using his popularity to help a nation get it's head together about our obesity epidemic...just my two cents
Old 01-13-2004, 09:38 PM   #21  

Thanks, Mrs. Jim for the clarification about Dr. Phil's build and the product endorsements. He walks the talk, as does his wife.

dip
Old 01-13-2004, 11:52 PM   #22  
Uber-Moderator!!

No problem Since I'm a mod, I'll go ahead and close out this thread now - folks please post on the Chapter 2 thread!
Closed Thread