YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #1  
Lovin' Zumba!

Default YOU: on a Diet support thread June '07

Happy June gals! I was thinking we'd try to do monthly daily chat threads since the last one got pretty long.

Has anyone come up with any new challenges for themselves for this month?

I know that I really need to buckle down - just 4 short months until my wedding!

I am having the TOM from this week - I've been crampy and bloated for days and it makes it hard for me to stay away from "comfort" foods.

So, YOU: turn today (only need a mini one!) - need to get things back on track before my trip, which will make for a major challenge. Luckily in Pacific countries they eat a LOT of veggies, so getting in protein will be one of my biggest challenges. That and getting my workouts in, and dealing with the jet lag. Actually, when I went to China last summer, the jet lag there was ok - it was once I got back to the States that it was bad.

So, wish me luck for the next 6 weeks as they will be a challenge for me!

Have a great YOU: weekend gals!
Cindy
Old 06-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #2  

what if we do a challenge on here Cindy?? I could use one for the summer..or shorter whatever?? Could be a weight loss one,,or exercise one??
Old 06-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

It is my goal to be pushing 229 by the end of June. I am already walking 10,000 steps a day so maybe I will push it to 11,000 a day and throw in some strength training exercises twice a week for June. I have been fluctuating between 235 and 239 for a long time now....I can't remember when I stablized on the scales; but my pants are fitting better.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #4  

I want to lose another 10 pounds by July 26th ,,before I head on holidays..certainly doable!! Now to do it...
Old 06-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #5  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I bought the book on Thursday night and am maybe 1/4 of the way done with it. Loving it so much! I am starting Monday since my cupboards and fridge are near empty and I need to grocery shop Sunday afternoon.

I am really hoping this plan works for me because I don't have the discipline to do South Beach or WW I don't think. I have tried in the past and re-gained. I actually went for this book because I had seen it mentioned on this website so thanks!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #6  
Lovin' Zumba!

cakses! Keep reading - I just know you're going to LOVE this plan as much as we do!

Patti - A summer challenge sounds like a great idea!

As you can see my my updated ticker, I'd like to get 16.5# off by Labor Day, which is Sept. 3rd this year. That would put me at 200# - I promised myself I'd be under 200 by my wedding, which is Sept. 29th. I was 185# when I met DF, nearly 3 years ago, but then the relationship caused me to get lazy about my eating and my workouts....

Anyway, that's 5# a month for me as a goal - should be absolutely do-able with this plan, as long as I don't backslide during my trip.

And, I'm still plugging along on my mileage challenge - I wanted to do 500 "miles" in time for the wedding as well, since that's how far away my Mom's town is, but I'm a bit behind on that goal. However, since the actual spirit of the goal was to keep me exercising daily, I'm still pretty happy with the 200+ miles I have logged since 1/1.

Ok, let's do this! Back to our YOU: basics - *only* whole grains, low sugar, no HFCS, low sat fats and no other flours. I've been a bit loose on these principles lately, and will do what I can to buckle down again. It will be tough during my travels, but if I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, it should be ok.
Cindy
Old 06-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #7  

Ok Cindy shall we make till Sept 1st then....that is all summer. I can start the thread and anyone is welcome to join us....make your own goal!!
Welcome Cakses... glad your joining us..how about joining in on the challenge as well??
Im glad all our chatter about the book helped you...it has helped us in many ways.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #8  
Starting Over

My first goal is to lose 10 pounds by the 15th but I got off track (set the goal a few weeks ago). I tend to lose weight fast at first then stall out so I am not sure what to aim for. My husband leaves for Iraq soon, so I can be a lot more disciplined after he's gone as sad as that is (he's a stick figure who eats like a 800 pound person!)
Old 06-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #9  

Cakes! You are going to love this new way of looking at life. I am hoping it rains so I can splash as I walk because we need rain really bad. I love walking in the rain it is kind of mediatating for me while I workout . Hopefully I will see the needle go down this coming Friday when I step on the scale to get a good scale reading. : Have a most excellent day!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #10  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hi gals - happy Monday!

Just a quick stop by to say hi - busy, busy week for me so can't be on her much.

Kim- did you get that rain? We sure did - tons yesterday and all last night - my flowers are drowning!

You gals have a good one!
Cindy
Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #11  

Hey Cindy.....wish you could send some rain our way.....nothing. It is cooler today than it has been...78 degree high....it's been running in the 90's. I can't wait to get home and walk my heart out. Not cooking the steel cut oats as long helped some but they are still kind of stiff. Helps me get down the skim milk though
Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #12  
Starting Over

Today is my day #1 and so far so good! I was able to give my kids one peanut M&M (i limit them with sweets) and not finish the bag off myself. In fact, I didn't touch them. I had my snack at 10am though (1/2 oz of walnuts and an apple) and it's almost 1 and I am just getting hungry for lunch. Is that normal? I am making a salad with turkey for lunch and cod with steamed veggies for dinner.

I must admit, I am not done reading the book. I have read 5 chapters I think and I fast forwarded to the diet chapter so I could do my grocery shopping and get started. So I might be missing some things right away. But I couldn't wait another week to get started!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #13  
Starting Over

today is day 3 for me and i am still doing great. i feel better and i even seem to be sleeping better. it used to take me hours to fully wake up, now i sort of snooze for 20-30 mins and i am up and ready to start the day!

i tried to make cod for dinner last night and it was AWFUL but i ate some veggies and then made a whole wheat pita sandwich instead. the kids got hot dogs and boy did those smell good haha. not worth it though.

i am also on day 3 of exercising the YOAD way - i am doing 2 segments of a walking dvd which is a total of 2 miles in 30 minutes and 10 mins of stretching. yesterday i did my first day of the 20 min strength exercises from the book (found the video online - so much easier than reading and doing them!) and those are hard! this is going to whip me into shape whether i like it or not.

i plan on doing the walking for a month or two then switching to running once i have shed some pounds and my body is stronger. i'm really excited about this diet - instead of counting down the days like i did with south beach phase 1 and i am actually looking forward to each new day and what i am going to try to make for dinnner, although no more cod!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #14  
Lovin' Zumba!

HI guys - too busy to post much - just wanted to say "HI!"

Keep up the good work cakses!
Cindy
Old 06-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #15  

I love the Cod.....I do mine on the George Foreman grill. You have to be careful not to overcook because then it is nasty. I squirt some lemon juice and a little bit of EVO and a smidge of crushed red pepper. mmmmmmm I would rather have mine fried but can't do that anymore. Have you tried the Vegetarian Burgers? The flame grilled one is so tasty...... It is fun experimenting with different things. Great about still loving your journey after 3 days.....that 3 day period usually makes or break the plan for me. It is awesome your already seeing more energy after 3 days too!!!!
Closed Thread