YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #106  

Good morning everyone! I purchased the book last weekend and I have made my way through it. It was a good book with a lot of insightful points...

As for the oatmeal, I purchase steel cut oats in bulk at either Whole Foods or Wild Oats market. It is soooo much cheaper if you buy it that way verse in a package.

What I do is bring 8cups of water in a big pot to a boil and add 4 cups dry s.c oats. Allow to simmer for at least 30min to 50min. You will need to keep an eye on it and stir somewhat often so the oats don't stick to the bottom of the pot. You may also need to add additional water. Once it is to the texture and consistancy that you like, allow to cool slightly and transfer into a large container. Place in fridge. It keeps very well.

Each morning I scoop out 1/3c (with the measuring cup) of the cooked oats, and mix with it 1/3c egg beaters. You can also add a little water or milk. Add some splenda, cinnamon, and whatever fruits sound good. Nuke for about 3min and enjoy! I have found that the extra protein from the egg beaters tends to keep me full longer. I don't have a mid morning snack until about 10:45 or 11 (which is 1 piece of fruit). I hope you find this to be helpful!!!
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #107  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning ladies!

Kate -was reading your blog and wanted to share that I've found a better probiotic yogurt - Breyer's Lite. An 8oz. container has 110 calories, 1.5g fat and 8-10 grams of sugar, depending on the flavor. It contains Nutrasweet, so the sugar is from the fruit, so that's ok. There is a bit of an aftertaste, but I'm pretty used to that, so I like it. Steer clear of the lime on though - I thought it was nasty!

Tatt - In terms of adding calories, a snack of whole wheat english muffin with natural peanut butter and possibly natural fruit spread, with a glass of milk, could help. But, I agree with Susan - post your menu and that will help us help you better.

I'm doing well - my appetite seems to have tapered off a bit, which is a good thing - that will help me to stop eating after 8pm, which I am still struggling with. Last night I just had a glass of milk before bed, more out of habit than anything.

I'm bummed because I was rushed at the gym this morning, so didn't weigh myself. Now I have to wait until tomorrow am!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #108  
soon to be thin

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5"7

Default Loving You on a Diet!!!!

I started on Jan 13 at 260 pounds, and I have lost 3 inches off of my waist, 3 off my hips and 4 off my bust!!! and lost 11.5 pounds. I don't feel hungry and I feel as if I am eating all day long. But it is working so who am I to question it.
soon to be thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #109  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

For breakfast: 1cup of oatmeal with 1 scoop of protein powder, cinnamin and 4oz soy milk, LUNCH: Smoothie made with 6oz soymilk, whole bananna, 1 cup strawberries, 1/3 cup bluberries, 1 scoop of protein powder, SNACK apple and almonds. SUPPER: 2 Boco burger, 1 cup of spinish, 1 cup of FF cottage cheese, 8 oz skim milk. SNACK: orange or yogurt.
Breakfast is 350 cal, Lunch is 350 and supper around 300-400. I really cant eat anymore. I cant get a snack in between breakfast and lunch, because I dont eat beakfast untill 8:00am. Do you think I really need 1700 cal a day? I ususally end up with 1200-1250 cal a day.
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #110  
Lovin' Zumba!

My eating schedule is usually as follows:

Breakfast 8:00am
Snack 10:30am
Lunch 1:00pm
Snack 3:30pm
Dinner 6:00pm
Snack 8:00pm

Eating something at all of these times would definitely help anyone to get more calories in. Start by dividing up what you are currently eating now, and then gradually increase where you can to get your calorie count up if you need to.

Just remember, you don't want to throw your body into "starvation mode", which WILL happen eventually if you are eating too few calories. This is typically what causes people to plateau, and then gain back quickly once they become discouraged by this.

To be honest I skimmed some of the book, so I really need to go back and read what YOU: says about coming up with recommended calorie totals. I lift weights regularly so I know I need to have my calories and protein much higher in order to build muscle - otherwise I'm always starving!
Cindy
Old 01-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #111  

Bfl Cat is right ! ! YOu don't realize the problems restricting your calories can cause. I've gotten some light string cheese, and try to keep that and some shaved turkey on hand for am snacks, and the WW english muffin with some type of spread can help kick you up there. I eat breakfast at 0430 so the snack thing isn't really a problem, its those lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng evenings that kill me. I try to do my workout in the pm to counter the 'hunger' voice in my head.

Last edited by tatt; 01-24-2007 at 04:58 PM.
tatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #112  
agility-nut

Believe me I am not restricting my calories. I am eating as much as I can. Maybe I will have to buy some peanut butter. I have been holding off on that, because I just love it and it could get me into trouble. I still cant believe how much you can eat when you are eating the right stuff. I Love it!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Question....I don't have the book yet(am going to be getting it though), but I was wondering what kind of meats can you have? I saw the "You: Owner's Manual" on DHC lastnight and it said to stay away from meat from 4 legged animals...so I got thinking is all your allowed to have is Chicken, Turkey and fish?
KnCmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #114  

You can have meat from 4-legged animals but not daily or several times a week. It just isn't good for anyone. Poultry, Fish, meat substitutes, beans are far healthier and lower in fat and calories.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #115  
agility-nut

Super-mom, After you read the whole book, you are not going to want meat from 4 legged animals. The book is great. At first I just skimmed it, but after when I sat down and read the whole book, you wil change your eating habits, believe me. You will love how you feel in just a week after following the books recommedations.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #116  

Can anyone help me with calorie content of clementines ? I'm hooked on them, but think I probably need to find out what the value is when planning my meals. I can't find them anywhere !
tatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #117  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Does anyone know when he's going to be back on TV? I went to Discovery Health and found stuff about him. However, their TV listings don't show him as being on anytime soon. I don't think he's going to be back on Oprah either.

TIA
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #118  
agility-nut

I found it Calorie-king. Clementines (2.6oz) is 35 cal., .1- fat, 8.9 carbs, 1.3 fiber, 6.8 sugars, .6 protien
Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6

Hey guys!

I have been on South Beach for a month as of today and i was wondering if any of you mixed the YOU plan with SB? I think on south beach, cool whip is hurting me and other small items are as well. If you do split the two plans what rule are you guys sticking to?

Thanks!
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #120  
Lovin' Zumba!

You could apply the food limitations to SB - checking the ingredients for the 5 baddies. Cutting HFCS would mean the elimation of cool whip.

But, YOU: allows many more carbs - whole grain products, potatoes, ... than SB, so the plans are very different. I'm not sure you could really do both at the same time.
Cindy