YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 01-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Also, Dr. Oz is going to be on Oprah today.
piperboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #62  
Dr. Oz - veggie style!

S/C/G: 270/251/155

Height: 5'10"

Well crud. I missed it.

After week one of the YOU diet, I lost a grand total of a inch and a half of waist and 2 pounds. Need to measure dh's waist tonight, but he lost ten pounds! Danged men.
rincaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #63  

Congrats Rincaro! That's an awesome job
DO any of you have problems measuring your waist? I have a natural roll that lies about an inch above my belly button line so i have a hard time measuring because the tape measure slips up. Any ideas besides taping it down? I seem to get different measurements each time because I can't seem to keep it in the right place.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone. I have been following the YOAD plan since Jan. 1 with wonderful results. I love the plan and it is working for me (and my husband, too!)

Here's my Week 1 Results...

1/1/07 Weight - 234.6
1/7/07 Weight - 229.8 (lost 4.8 pounds)

1/1/07 Waist Measurement - 43
1/7/07 Waist Measurement - 41.5 (lost 1.5 inches)

What I did...
*Walked 30 minutes every day (about 1.2 miles each day)
*Alternated upper and lower body workout everyday (about 30 minutes each day)
*Ate 3 meals and 2 snacks which were low in fat and sugar

Melody
MelodyAM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 230/226/135

Height: 5'3

Default Hi Everyone!

I think I was posting on the wrong board. I thought there was not anyone posting for You on a diet daily. I had right acl surgery on 12/26 so of course I can not do the walking yet. I have been doing my therapy I started last week and I get a good sweat up. I am working on doing a lot of leg lifts. I have not been eating totally correct 100% of the time, but I am trying. I have to rely on other people to fix me meals and go to the store for me. I want to go full pledge next week with the diet. I will be able to get around at the store myself. I am doing more and more things around the house in stages. I am trying to keep my spirits up, because I want to get back on my feet like yesterday LOL! I am 35 years old and the mother of 3. My children are 9,11, and 18. My oldest I have been raising since she was 5 she came with my marriage package. She will graduate high school this year.

I wanted to let you guys know I saw the show with the Dr Oz telling about his book. I heard him tell Oprah it was okay to drink 100% fruit juice. Did anyone remember him saying that? I also saw him on Oprah today. He is a very educating doctor. He always tells you how things are in easy terms and not big words. I tried the steel cut oats and I am not fond of the little bitty grains. I do love to eat the whole grain oats by the Red mills company. I wonder if it makes a lot of difference if I choose to eat the whole grain instead of the steel oats?

I am going to settle in for the evening.
Giggles123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #66  

Ok. I am a big nerd. Dr. Oz is coming to my local Wal-Mart to do book signings January 19th. I think I am going to go! I have been so excited since I saw the sign last night!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #67  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning ladies! Hope everyone is doing well. I'm feeling pretty good about this program - then again, I'm still on my workout endorphin high right now, so it's easy to say that!

I did hear the part about fruit juice - I believe that fruit juice IS allowed, however, as it is calorie dense and already a little processed, your body may react badly to it in terms of hunger. I personally allow myself OJ on Sunday mornings, with breakfast, but that's it. This is just what I like about this plan - there is lots of flexibility, and you can tailor it to your needs and preferences. You may not lose as fast if you are drinking OJ everyday, but if that keeps you on plan, then that's ok. And if that's not ok with you, then stop drinking juice!

DF has lost 1.5" on his waist already - this is just day 9 for us. I'm only at about 0.75". But, it's still good progress for just a little over a week. I've not been doing all my exercise yet, so I shouldn't complain!

Still working on finding the perfect WW pasta - please do let me know the brands you all have found and liked, if you wouldn't mind.

Gotta get back to work - have a great day!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #68  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey gang, question for you all: Have you been experiencing any sort of physical issues since starting this plan? I have, and I'm wondering if it's just me.

First there is the fiber issue - obviously makes your digestive system kick into high gear.... if you know what I mean. That I expected.

Then there is my sleep. I've been having trouble getting to sleep, and if not, then trouble staying asleep. Do you think digesting could cause this? I do tend to eat within 1-1.5 hours of bedtime - usually a bowl of higher fiber cereal, but I have done that for a while, so it's not just the cereal.

Lastly my face is breaking out horribly. Now, I often get this issue when starting an exercise program, but it's usually only 1-2 every couple of days, mainly cause by sweat. This is different - anywhere from 3-5 new ones a day! Frankly I'm running out of cover stick!

None of these are show-stoppers for me, as I'm sure they will subside as my body adapts, but I was just more curious if I was alone in this.
Cindy
Old 01-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #69  

Fiber has to be increased slowly or you will have digestive issues. You should not be eating before bed at least 3 hours. As for acne, is there any foods that do it to you?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #70  

Things still chugging along here. I started tracking my eating and exercising
online (I can't link to the site here - how strange!) and I can feel myself getting into diet mode, which is good. Unfortunately I did have a run in with some mashed potatoes and some chocolate cream pie today, but I kept the portions smallish and I don't feel badly about it. My waist is now at 43.5.
katec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 230/226/135

Height: 5'3

Default Congrats!

Kate,

Congrats on the 1.5 inch loss. Keep up the good work and don't give up on the bad days.

Later,
Tonya
Giggles123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 234.8/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone. I'm new and glad to find this group. I bought YOU about 2 weeks ago and have been reading it and implementing different ideas from it. I love the common sense approach of eating natural and whole foods.

So far I've cut out all white, processed, refined flours (except for that super tempting and oh-so-yummy garlic bread last Sunday after church) and sugars. I've cut out almost all butter.

I've been doing either fruit smoothies in the morning with the psyllium husks added or else having a couple eggs, turkey bacon and one piece of whole wheat toast with a smidge of raw honey. Very satisfying. I've also been eating more salad and trying to add lots of the dark colored veggies in.

Oooh, the other thing I love that the book recommends is the raw nuts. I'm in love with almonds so that was easy. I just have to make sure I don't go crazy eating them yk? Just a small handfull--maybe 6-8.

I've also been hitting the treadmill, anywhere between 40 minutes and a hour, six days a week, along with weight training. Unfortunately, no weight loss yet, but I've set my goal for 4 weeks as to not get discouraged. I figure by 4 weeks I should be seeing some serious changes.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I'm just so thrilled to have a found a "home" and people to talk to about all of this.
Paintedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #73  
Lovin' Zumba!

Welcome to our group, Carrie! Glad you found us! Sounds like you've been making some great changes since you've started.

Quilter - yes, I know I should not be eating 3 hours before bedtime, but thats an item I'm still working on - I really struggle with no eating after 7pm, especially since that's often when I finally get to sit down to dinner! But, as that's not something that is new to my routine, I do not think that's to blame for the sleeplessness.

Interestingly enough, a co-worker suggested that maybe I'm not able to sleep because I don't need to - that perhaps this way of eating is giving me so much extra energy that I don't need so much sleep any more? I guess that is the positive spin on this! I'll have to see what happens over the next few weeks. Maybe I'll become a person who only needs 5-6 hours of sleep a night, instead of 8-9?

Wanted to share that I tried some organic ketchup yesterday. I just can't eat meatloaf w/o ketchup, and so I broke down and spent $4 on a bottle! It was actually good, but I think when this one is gone (which will take a while), I may try to just make my own. The ingredients on the bottle seem straight forward enough: water, tomato paste, sugar, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, onion powder, allspice and ground cloves. Should be easy enough to come up with a recipe based on that, right? So, there's my tip for you today - if you want ketchup, try making it!

Also found out that my low-fat and no-fat mayo (miracle whip), are loaded with HFCS. Guess we'll be phasing that out!

Hope you all have a great day - keep up the good work!
Cindy
Old 01-11-2007, 11:58 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 234.8/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the welcome Cindy! It's interesting, this plan just makes so much sense to me. There are no real "rules" to follow, it's just common sense eating what your body really needs. I love it!
Paintedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #75  

Hi everyone. I have been seeing Dr. Oz on Oprah, and it makes so much sense. I just bought the book last night and have really been enjoying it. I came on here to see if anyone else was reading it, and I was so happy to find this. Can I join in?

Tammy
Redheadswife is offline   Reply With Quote