YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 01-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #31  

Hey everyone - I made it through the first day really well. I had a terrible time falling asleep last night, so I was sort of in a haze for most of the day, which worked in my favor with regards to cravings and thinking about food. I barely had enough time to think about menial tasks!

My waist size is criminal - baseline reading, 46". I am a classic apple with a big belly and butt (although right now everything on me is big!), so I'm not too surprised, but it certainly motivates me to plug ahead with this WOE.
katec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #32  

I was wondering what the difference was in the sugar and this is what I found. Seems to me that they may both be the same and not really acceptable on the YOU diet. I may be wrong. I added the site where I found the answer. kim

In my opinion, evaporated cane juice (ECJ) and regular sugar are basically the same thing. ECJ is essentially a less refined, less purified form of regular sugar, popular with those consumers who favor "organic" or "natural" products Both ECJ and regular sugar comes from sugar cane (although regular sugar can also come from sugar beet). The carbohydrate is interest in both products is sucrose. ECJ, since it is less refined, is typically light brown or blonde in color and will has a different flavor (like a weak brown sugar or with molasses notes). Regular suger is highly refined and purified to be almost 100% sucrose.

Nutritionally, ECJ and regular sugar are the same, contributing the same calories to your diet. The two will be metabolized by our bodies in the same way and there is really no real health benefit to use ECJ over sugar. (Click here for an explanation of glycolysis and how sugar is metabolized.)

http://www.wemoosh.com/monthly/question.html
kimpo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #33  
Lovin' Zumba!

Thanks for that explanation about sugar and cane juice - I saw ECJ listed on a lot of labels at the store today, and wondered if it was a better alternative.

Wow - it sure was hard shopping at the regular grocery store today. I had *no* luck with the yogurt, and found no bread without HFCS in it - I settled for a brand that had it listed as #6 or 7 on the ingredient list.

Guess this means I'll have to check out our more health-type stores. Oh, or maybe a bigger Hannaford or Price Chopper would have more selection? Seems I remember reading that from someone some where....

Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #34  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I shop at a normal grocery store. For yogurt, I buy Mountain High lowfat plain yogurt and put fruit on it like berries. It took a few bites to get used to, but I really like it now and don't miss the sugar or sugar substitutes or HFCS! It just has lowfat milk, pectin, and cultures. The low fat is much creamier than the fat free, but only has 140 cals in a cup (and I eat about half that with my berries).

As for bread, I have mostly given it up, but my store has pitas in the bakery section (not the bread aisle) that have no HFCS. Or I get WASA crisps in the bread aisle. Basically big airy crackers. I put my tuna on them.

Also, if there is something you want and can't find, consider asking the store manager. I ask mine to order stuff all the time. He's really nice about it!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #35  
Dr. Oz - veggie style!

S/C/G: 270/251/155

Height: 5'10"

We've been getting Sara Lee Whole Wheat breads. No HFCS, although there is honey in the one we prefer. But the sugar grams are low enough and the bread is very hearty!

Hala Bakery makes lite whole wheat pitas with no HFCS. I don't know if that's just a local thing though. And we've been getting Tam-X-ico's whole wheat tortillas. No bad stuff in those and they are filling!
rincaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #36  

I made this great smoothie/icee type drink today. I took Crystal Light (berry flavor) and mixed it with some frozen peaches, berries, melon and ice. I put it in the blender and mixed it all up. It was great and it took me forever to drink it which helped keep the cravings away.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #37  
Lovin' Zumba!

With tuna I enjoy Ak-mak crackers. They are whole wheat and do have some honey in them, but the sugars are low enough.

I plan to keep away from bread, but want to try to keep DF eating his normal stuff, so I need it for him.

Kimpo, your concoction sounds good - I'm struggling today (Day 3), with wanting to eat something sweet. Doesn't help that there are leftover Christmas goodies in the break room at work today. What are these people thinking?

I've really got to get some carrots and/or apples to keep here at work for times like this.

What is the verdict on sf/ff jello? I've mixed that into plain yogurt before - it's pretty good. But, I'm not sure about the ingredients...

So, how is everyone doing with this plan? Anyone want to share your progress? I did seem to be 1/4" down on my waist already today!
Cindy
Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #38  

I would think that SF jello would be ok. I know its ok for Atkins induction. I am so snack happy right now I can hardly stand it. Im thinking an apple with a very small amount of cream cheese with splenda and cinnamon to make a dip. I did ok today up until dinner and then the kids had the last of the fish sticks and ff in the house( and of course a vegie). I did have a couple of ff's even though they were baked they still had the hydro veg oil. I am thinking about purchasing a book I saw today with all the allowable diabetic foods in it. It told the fat, sugar and other values. I thought that might help give me some sort of idea about the foods that I could purchase and that will speed things up at the store. Going off to crunch my apple. Man I wish it was cheesecake kim
Old 01-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #39  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfL_Cat View Post
So, how is everyone doing with this plan? Anyone want to share your progress? I did seem to be 1/4" down on my waist already today!
Cindy
Granted I have a lot of waist to lose, but I am down 3.25 inches there in a month... Woo hoo!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #40  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

WOW..way to go everyone! I am sorry I have not posted much lately. I have been having a devil of time at work comming off a LONG vacation. (it is amazing how fast one can become use to sleeping in) Then to make matters even more difficult ~~ PMS. It seems everytime I try to start an excercise or to change my eating *poof* there it is! But I have been doing well, yesterday was my first offical day and I had:

B: Oatmeal, w/ splenda and cinnamon, banana
S: Orange
L: soyburger on english muffin, w/ tomato, and pear. (Ok, I a single serving pack of chips from the vending machine...but I claim PMS cravings....)
Dinner: chicken, corn, black bean, basmati rice thing...The book didn't say much about rice, but I figure since it's still low GI it maybe ok (that and the 15 pound bag in my house I am not throwing away)

I go grocery shopping today, so this should be an adventure judgeing from what the rest of you are saying....talk at you later, I will post more, I promise!
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 AM   #41  
Dr. Oz - veggie style!

S/C/G: 270/251/155

Height: 5'10"

Good morning YOU-bies! I had a slipup last night, but surprisingly I feel really positive about it. I think all this YOU-turn business is the key. So I goofed. So I make a YOU-turn. All is good.

In other good news, even though the scale says I'm only about a half pound down, my stomach felt less fat. So I measured my waist just now, and I've already went down over an inch! Over course I have a lot of inches to lose, but hey, movement in the right direction is awesome!
rincaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 330/327/250

Height: 5'5

HI all. Just checking in for the day. Have a great day all!!!
msgypsylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Just finished reading the book! I have done a TON of different diets - I read this book in an entirely different light. I am excited about eating more healthy and also making myself walk 30 minutes a day.
I have made up a few different recipes - loosely based on his recipes. Let me know if you guys see anything in them that may not fit the plan. I am planning on re reading the book, but so far, I feel like it is pretty easy!!

Morning Shakes - I use the bullet blender.
I fill the mixing cup 1/3 with crushed ice, then I cover the ice with Vanilla Soy Milk. I add a few scoops of crushed pineapple, frozen blueberries and a half of a banana, then top it off with a tablespoon of soy protein powder. They taste awesome! I have been getting up every morning and making one for DH and then make one for myself about a 1/2 hour later.

Lunch - I have been making whole wheat turkey wraps. I take whole burrito size wraps, then spread marinara sauce over it, layer with sliced turkey and sprinkle with skim mozzerella cheese. I roll it up and grill it on the George Forman grill. They taste really good.

Dinner - I took whole wheat english muffins and topped them with marinara sauce, tuna and skim mozzerella cheese and then baked them in the oven.

I have tried to stick with ingredients I saw in the book - anyone see anything that might not fit in the recipes above?

Good luck girls - we can do it!!!
piperboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #44  
Lovin' Zumba!

Piper - I think your menu looks pretty good, but I'm a YOU:bie, so I may be wrong.

Question for you all about whole wheat pasta - does anyone have any tips or tricks to make it better? I've not been a fan in the past, and had settled on the Barilla Plus, which I love, but I see now that it doesn't have any whole grains.

Are there specific brands of ww pasta that you think are better than others? I've mainly used Hodgson Mill.

The good news is that my sweet cravings were better today - I did remember to bring in carrot sticks for myself. I had both a ww english muffin and some steel-cut oats this morning (b'fast and snack), and think it really did a good job of helping with my hunger. I think maybe I need to limit any fruit as snacks to the afternoon, as I think it makes me get hungrier sooner.
Cindy
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #45  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Bfl Cat ~ Boy am I glad you mentioned hunger. I am starving all the time. It seems the only time I am full is when I eat some fat. And considering this is a fat restricted diet....I am in for a heck of a time. Today I had the munchies big time all day...could have ate like a horse, starved when I didn't until I ate a piece a of cheese. Then I was fine. Didn't want anything more, its dinner time now, having fish. Not that hungry really. Strange.

The brand we buy is called Harvest Farms. I have tried the barilla plus and love it, but it is not whole grains. I have tried others like the Hodson's mills and some from the health food store and they are just too grainy and "wheatie" tasting. ICK!

Hope it helps!
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote