Soups?

• Can anyone tell me what soups are a good choice?
    Especially those canned ones you can take to work with you.
    Thanks so much!
  • Anything broth based - check the nutritional information. Most broth based soups are 100 -150 calories per serving. Any of those are good. Even some tomato soups are about the same (check the nutrition label, because some creamy ones can be pretty high in calorie). Bean soups are a little higher, but also are a good choice because they're very filling and super high in fiber.
  • I don't really buy canned soup anymore as I make my own and freeze it but a while back I did buy Campbell's Healthy Request soups - some were lower in sodium, some were 1/2 the fat as their regular cream soups. They were pretty good.

There are some good ones at the health food stores where you just add boiling water - I can't remember the brand now - I think it had the word Egypt in it - they had a great black bean soup and a couscous and vegetable soup.
  • It is pretty easy to find soups that are low in calories and low in fat and some (fewer choices) low in carb but harder to find it low in sodium too. Canned soups are higher in sodium than most things on the market. In moderation, I don't mind this, but I wouldn't do it all the time. Making your own is much better in that regard (but only if you dont put too much salt in it yourself). I try to buy low sodium brands then put pepper in it (for flavor).
  • Soup Stuff
    Hi,

What I've done in the past is find a canned low point vegetable soup broth based and then add more veggies to it. It's 0 points for the veggies and bumps up the soup a notch in flavour and texture. If you want you could add beans or pasta or rice but then you'd have to add it in the extra points.
    Hope that this helps. Good luck
  • drugs4dieting.com/wwsoups.htm

I found this website with a listing of zero point soups if you're in the cooking mood.
  • I forgot to mention that you may want to double check the point counts as some of these may be low rather than no point soups. Some may have been written when carrots were still zero points, or the authors may have made calculation errors (the corn chowder for example - I think the recipe author forgot that corn is not a zero point food).