3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   WW At Home (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-home-22/)
-   -   Weigh in at home 12/26 - 1/1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-home/70822-weigh-home-12-26-1-1-a.html)

JudySP 12-26-2005 10:43 AM

Weigh in at home 12/26 - 1/1

Starting the topic - I'm off to catch up on last week and I'll be back.

Judy

JudySP 12-26-2005 11:37 AM

First of all, please accept my belated wishes for a Merry Christmas. I hope it was a happy and safe one for everyone!

Carla - Sorry about the gain but I know you will get rid of it right away. I agree with you to make my health my focus in 2006. Enough diddling around. I REFUSE to be this weight any longer and I want to be at my goal weight by the time I reach the big 5-0 (which isn't until 2007 so I have plenty of time to get there!) What kind of things does the Prevention Daytime have in it? Maybe if there are tips, etc., you can share them. My hip is a little better having gone to the chiropractor but I'm basically sidelined from the things I love to do (step, even a little spinning is out right now) but that's no excuse for not doing at least some yoga every day and there's nothing wrong with my upper body - no excuse not to do some upper body weights. Yup, the kids were all wound up last week - and the littler they are, the more wound up they were. Friday was the last day before a week off. I hope John braved the store instead of you! I'm with you on liking the week between Christmas and New Year's! Thanks for the Hannukah wishes. Tony and I lit the first candle after he came home from Christmas at Krista's boyfriend's sil's house (I was too sick to go - didn't want to get the kids there sick).

Kristiekat - staying the same over the holidays is a victory - so congratulations! My goal is the same - to stay the same over the holidays and get back to losing after the 1st.

Shanda - Congratulations on the great loss!

Rachel - Oh my goodness. Honey, I am so very sorry for all that you are going through! Yes, I am praying for you and your family and I hope that your husband gets counseling, gets on meds that may help, and tries to work through his grief without doing anything else momentous right now. As for you, dear Rachel, I agree with Carla - you have to be strong to be a nurse and I also know from experience (hard experience) that we are stronger than we believe we are. I hope that you can work things out the way you want them to be, but Rachel dear, if it turns out that your husband does leave the marriage, you will make it. As Carla says, you have a good job and you and your girls will be fine. Granted, I didn't have any kids, but when my first husband left me (and he did so with no notice whatsoever, just left a note) I thought I'd never survive but I did and I found out that I was stronger than I thought. I also found out who my real friends were and the value of the support I got from my family. I'll be praying that things work out for you - however it is you want them to. I agree with Carla, that at some point, please try to take care of yourself. If you take care of yourself you can also care for your girls and deal with whatever happens.

Tracy - welcome! Not gaining for the past few weeks is great - there are so many temptations. I'm sure when you "lay down the law" with yourself and start counting points, you'll start losing again. I'm so sorry about the fire - I'll keep them in my prayers.

Karen - Happy Boxing Day! It's so good to hear from you! I'll bet you can't wait for the end of January! Yes, we are on break now and it feels good to have a little vacation. Of course, I went and caught a cold on Christmas Eve which went to my chest (where else?) but I seem to have kept it at bay (doesn't feel like it will be bronchitis) a little bit with Zicam. Tony and I are going out east (to the beach) for a couple of nights on Thursday and I can't wait to read, play Scrabble and relax some more!

Gypsyladie - Welcome! Well, you never know exactly how much you are eating until you count it up, so good for you for starting off by journaling! I like your attitude about Christmas and New Year's being one meal, too! I'm with Carla - I've been at this longer than I care to admit too but I'm determined that 2006 will our year to get it all off!

Last week was pretty stressful and I was zonked by the end of the week (especially after being in kindergarten on Thursday). I started feeling congested on Friday night and had the cold by Christmas Eve. We had a quiet Christmas Eve with my parents and my fil here. It wasn't a late night either. I did't overdo although I basically ate what I wanted to. As I said, yesterday, I decided to stay home and Tony went to my stepdaughter's boyfriend's sil's house for Christmas. I was sorry I missed it - I had wanted to see her and Anthony and I like her boyfriend's family but I wasn't feeling well and I didn't want any of the kids there (there are some little ones) to catch anything. I sent Tony with gifts and food and he brought back lovely "doggy bag". I'm taking it easy today although I'll try to do a little yoga just to stretch my hip later. We are supposed to see friends on Wed and on Thurs we are going out to Amagansett for a couple of nights. That should be really relaxing and I'm looking forward to it. I missed the meeting on Saturday - too much to do, but the good news is that I stepped on the scale this morning and only saw a 0.2 gain - unofficial but still good news. We'll be coming home on Saturday so I won't get to go to my meeting so I may try to get to one on Wednesday morning.

Have a great one!
Judy

cece 12-26-2005 02:20 PM

Hi all.

Judy - I'm sorry to hear about your cold and am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't morph into bronchitis. Do you have any more holiday dinners or parties to attend? I put the Prevention planner into my daytimer and skimmed it while I was doing so. Every month they have a card that focuses on an aspect of health (overall health including spirituality, etc.). From what I've seen it's all stuff I, and I'm sure you, know already, but if I come across anything new or interesting you bet I'll share. There's a new tip on each set of weekly pages as well. I figure it doesn't hurt to have constant reminders.
Have fun at the beach. I'd love to be going to the beach right now.

We had a nice Christmas, if a bit hectic. I went to the grocery store mid-Saturday morning and was lucky enough to find a parking space fairly quickly, so I figured that was a good omen for the day. Since I got all the presents wrapped Friday night (a first for me) I didn't have the stress of trying to get that done at the last minute. (Or the stress of knowing that I would be up until 3:00 in the morning getting Santa's gifts for Ana wrapped.) We had a nice dinner at my BIL's house. I had everything I wanted, but one helping, and I didn't go overboard. Yesterday at my mom's was low-key and relaxing. Today we're taking it easy. John is putting together some of Ana's toys and playing with her and I just took a nap. So all is well.

Talk to you all later.

Carla

DollyR 12-26-2005 05:59 PM

Hi!

My name is Darlene and I live overseas in South Korea where they do not have WW meetings so I am going it alone online with WW. I decided to try the flex plan and not CORE since the flex plan gives me more options living overseas. CORE was too restricting when I tried to eat on plan out in restaurants. I have joined the WW site but I like the support I see here at 3FC. I was wondering how successful you have all felt with WW online? Is anyone a female in their early 40's like me? My big problem is LACK of exercise. I do not get any. I am going to try to walk 3 times a week to start for 30 minutes just to kick start my metabolism. Do you have any tips or suggestions for success with online dieting?

cece 12-26-2005 07:10 PM

Hi Darlene - Welcome. My sister-in-law is Korean; she and her family are originally from Seoul. I'm in my mid-40s (46 to be exact) and have the same problem you do - lack of exercise. I've done WW through their various plans, but haven't gone to a meeting since the late 80s. I prefer doing it on-line. I can imagine CORE would be hard for you, especially since rice is a staple. But I always feel like I'm eating very healthily when I go to a Korean restaurant - grilled meat, lots of veggies, etc. I actually love all the side dishes and could happily make a meal on those. As for success with on-line dieting, well, you just have to stick with it - another of my problems. Don't let a bad day throw you off. And you can find plenty of support here.

DollyR 12-26-2005 08:07 PM

Thanks Cece. I am looking forward to getting to know others here on the boards and returning the support you all are so ready to give. I agree about the korean food and I think the flex would be easier since like you said rice is so dominant in the cuisine. I do shop at the commisary on base so I can cook american food but I do enjoy the korean dishes. Believe me eating on the economy is a great treat! Korean food here in Seoul is awesome. I figure the flex plan will help me regular how much to eat and/or not eat.

Moon Jaguar 12-26-2005 08:41 PM

I'm up 1.5 pounds. No biggie.

TMunday 12-27-2005 01:28 AM

Hi everyone. Sorry it has taken me a bit to get back to you. It took me a second to find this new board. And plus I haven't been at the computer much lately.

JudySP: Thank you for the nice welcome. I do appreciate that!
~~~
I really do feel laying down the law on my self and getting a routine started again (which is coming very soon!) will make a drastic difference! I have done pretty good with keeping track of my points since I noted it on the other board. But today I had a few home made Christmas cookies and I have no idea about those points. So I didn't count them... but I still had several points left for the day. So I should be fine.

As for the fire my husbands family went thru. The father has past away. He died Monday morning. The boy that was visiting has been sent home. He is doing well. The 5 year old little girl is still in pretty bad shape. She has a 105 temp. and she also has pneumonia now too. They are keeping her in a drug induced coma. It is not looking to good. I sure hope that change soon! If she does survive she will only get about 70% usage of her lungs. There was so much damage. It is sad.

DollyR: Hi there and welcome! I am a WW Online member as well! The places where WW has there meetings is to far away for me. So I do everything online. There is a lot of nice tools on that site for members! But I also find more support here on these boards! I have heard of many people having as much success with the online membership and support as the people who go to meetings. It is all based on how seriously you follow the plan and exercise. I am not one that likes to exercise much either!! But I have found the Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds videos to be very motivational! Last year when I lost around 30 pounds I did it with Leslie's exercise videos! Now I just have to do it again! I quit smoking so I gained all of the weight back! But I still has about 50 more pounds to lose at that point. I do wish you much luck on your weight loss journey! It is not easy, but it is so worth it!
~~~
I weigh in first thing on Thursday mornings! I am hoping to see a change this week. However, due to TOM I am not expecting anything! But we shall see! I need to get some sleep now. I wish you all luck with your weigh ins this week!

gypsyladie 12-27-2005 09:54 AM

Three days of festive dinners are finally over and I have to say that I am so glad that I started back here on Dec. 23. I was able to consciously think about everything I put in my mouth and avoided the pastry table except for one piece of traditional fruitcake and one Christmas cookie. That's big for me! I will weigh myself on Friday and I should be down a few. I have faithfully tracked every point and journalled. Now I have to start an exercise/activity journal to push myself to burn off a few more. Every small step is a positive one, so keep your fingers crossed for me for my Friday weigh in. Thanks.

cece 12-27-2005 10:14 AM

Hi all.

Darlene - Is the commisary well-stocked? Are you able to find reduced fat foods,etc., or is it just pretty much the basics?

Shanda - I'm sure the 1.5 will come off in no time.

Tracy - I'm so sorry to hear the father died. I'll continue to keep the little girl in my prayers.

gypsyladie - It feels good to be control during the holiday feeding frenzy, doesn't it? Sounds like you did a terrific job!

I had a run-in with some chocolate-covered peanuts yesterday. (Karen, it made me think of you and chocolate-covered almonds.) Ah well, it's a thing of the past now. Time to move forward.

Have a great day.

Carla

DollyR 12-27-2005 08:17 PM

We have one of the biggest commissaries in Korea so it is well stocked. It is about the size of a small grocery store in the states. Which in some places the commissary is the size of the local 7 Eleven or Circle K!!! I am lucky ours is big. The Koreans have two stores which carry fresh veggies E-Mart and Kim's Club which is thier version of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. I go to those places if I want some better quality produce.

chubbynursenomore 12-27-2005 10:35 PM

Hi everyone
Things here are much worse, well if they could really have gotten worse. My husband told me he is basically in love with the girl in CA and he is going there in Februaray to be with her for 12 days. He said maybe he would have gone to marriage counseling with me, but because of his "strong feelings" for Tracy he doesn't see the point. He is furious with me because i have told some friends what is going on, he says i shouldn't be talking to anyone, this is between us. Anyway, I need my support system. And I really think he just doesn't want to look like the bad guy.
He is still taking care of the kids when I have to work, but I'm not sure how much longer I can let him be here if he is not living here. My girls are just heartbroken, no matter how I explain it to them, they think he doesn't want to be with them. My heart breaks for them and I just hold them when they cry and tell them he loves them and I love them and I will always be here for them.
I am trying to figure how I can afford to stay in this house because I really don't want to uproot my kids. They need their home, it's one of the only things they have left.
He did go to the grief counselor once, on my begging, and says he doesnt' want to go back because they told him not to make any major decisions for a year. His friend knows he is not acting rationally or thinking clearly, and is also encouraging him to seek counseling so I hope he will go. Even if we don't end up together, I want the father of my girls to be mentally healthy.

I have lost 15lbs since this all started. I am not eating or sleeping much and feeling so sad and hopeless. I really can't even believe this is happening to me. Don't worrry, I am going to counseling as well. I am taking things one day at a time, and that is really hard for me (I'm a super control freak and a planner for everything).
Keep praying for me girls. I am trying to get through this the best way I can.

cece 12-28-2005 03:38 PM

Hi all.

Rachel - I'm glad to hear from you, but sorry that your news isn't any better. Your husband's grief counselor speaks the truth and it sounds like your husband just doesn't want to hear it. I'm sorry he's not heeding the advice he's been given. And I bet a year from now he'll be wondering what he did and why he did it and he'll regret it. As for him being furious with you for speaking with friends, that's bulls*** plain and simple. If he's made the choice to leave his marriage and disrupt his family, he has to take responsibility for the decision and let the chips fall where they may in terms of how people view his actions. It's not fair that he ask you to suffer all this in silence. You said that his friend is also encouraging him to go to counseling - is that a local friend or the woman in CA? I ask because I can't for the life of me imagine what kind of woman would want to take on a man carrying all the baggage your husband is carrying, especially since he's basically destroying his family to be with her. My heart breaks for your little girls. Here where I live there are support groups for kids dealing with divorce, etc. It helps them to know that they are not alone and that it's nothing they've done - divorce just happens sometimes. You may want to check into such a group in your area. If I can help you out by doing some research on the internet, just let me know. And Rachel, I know it's hard, but please try to eat something. Force it down if you have to, but please keep up your strength for yourself and your girls. And as for staying in the house, he bears financial responsibility for your girls too. If it comes to divorce, perhaps you can continue sharing ownership of the house as well as the costs of the mortgage and maintaining it. That's what my sister and her recent ex did. At any rate, get a good lawyer. I'll continue keeping you and the girls in my prayers; and your husband too.

Darlene - It's great that you have a well-stocked commisary. And the availability of fresh produce in the Korean stores.

Not much new here. I've been operating in slow motion these past few days - recovering from the Christmas hub-bub. I'm forgoing weigh-in this week. And now off to make meatballs for dinner tonight.

Have a good rest of the day.

Carla

TMunday 12-28-2005 04:36 PM

Rachel: I am so sorry to hear about what your family is having to go through. You sound like such a strong women! I know it hurts right now. I think your doing a great job with your kids and this situation. I have to agree with Carla though. This is going to bite him in the rear a year from now! He is going to see what a mess he made. Keep your chin up!

~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the little girl (my husbands cousins daughter) in the fire.... she is not doing to well. She is doing worse actually. She does have pneumonia, still has the fever, and her breathing is getting worse! They are turning up the life support. I don't think it sounds very good at all. Her fathers funeral is tomorrow. And the teenage boy is ok and at home from what I heard. I hope the little girl is ok.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope everyone is doing good with WW! So far so good for me with keeping tally of my points and stuff. :) I hope to see results in the future... if not during tomorrow's weigh in, then soon. :)

JudySP 12-28-2005 05:00 PM

Carla - I'm glad that your Christmas was less stressful (at least after you got the gifts wrapped Fri night!). Low-key works for me. Good for you for eating moderately as well as relaxing a bit the day after! No, it hasn't morphed into bronchitis - I was a little concerned yesterday - it hurt a bit when I coughed - so I started a Z-pack and am feeling a bit better today. It's still a rotten cold but at least I feel well enough to go out to the beach - Tony wasn't sure we should yesterday. Of course, no exercise so for the first time in a number of years, I'm not going to make my yearly goal. I'm trying not to stress about it - the one thing that's been good about lying around in bed for the last few days is that my hip is feeling a bit better. Sorry about the run in with the choc. covered peanuts. I've had a run-in with lots of not-so-great choices in the last few days - I guess I've been feeling sorry for myself for being sick over my vacation.

Darlene - Welcome! I can understand trying Flex being in South Korea. I love Core, basically because when I eat Core foods and cut out a lot of processed foods and junk, I feel better, but hey, the reason they have 2 plans is because different things work for different people! I am in my late 40's - 48, going on 49 in March. I'm unusual in that I like exercise but I've had a problem with my hip in the last month that has kept me from doing as much exercise and the kinds of exercise I like. I think your goal of walking 3X a week for 30 minutes is a great, doable plan.

Shanda - 1.5 around the holidays isn't bad - it will be off before you know it.

Tracy - sorry to hear that the father died. I'll keep the little girl in my prayers. My work routine will be starting again next week (on Tuesday) but I have to figure out how to adjust a few other things - like getting to bed earlier so I can get a little exercise in before work. I've heard a lot of people like Walk Away the Pounds. Congratulations on quitting smoking!!! Even with the weight gain, you've done the best thing you can for your health. This Jan. 9th will be 10 years that I quit smoking.

Gypsieladie - congratulations on doing so well during the holiday dinners! I like to use a wall calendar for my exercise log. I mark off what I do on the calendar and then I can see how much I've done with one glance. It sounds a little crazy, perhaps, but I color code the kind of exercise I do with highlighting markers. It's colorful, it shows up well (good motivation) and it helps me see if I'm getting a good balance of cardio, yoga (stretching) and weights.

Rachel - I'm glad to hear from you although I'm sorry about the news. I hope he ends up listening to the grief counselor although it doesn't sound encouraging. I can't agree more with Carla though - it is total bull**** for him to say "word one" about who you speak to and what you say to others about what is happening. You have a right to speak with whomever you need to to keep yourself strong and take care of yourself and your girls. He has abandoned his responsibility to his family and has to own up to what he is doing. If friends and family sees him for what he is - too bad. Carla has a great idea about seeing if there is a group that the girls can go to - it might really help them. I also agree about getting a lawyer - whether it comes to divorce or not. Your husband does have a financial responsibility to his daughters and you need to know what your rights are legally. I agree with Carla - PLEASE try to eat something - maybe something that you don't normally let yourself have - a little indulgence. When my first husband left, I also lost a lot of weight - I was going to WW meetings then and I remember talking to my leader about the fact that I just couldn't eat. He said something to me that maybe will help you. He said that sometimes, when everything else in your life seems out of your control, it helps if you can control *something*. He asked me to try to control what I ate (that is, to try to eat) and I remember that it did seem to help, if just a bit. Listen, Rachel, you *WILL* get through this no matter what happens. My heart breaks for you and for your girls, and I will keep you and them in my prayers. But I want you to know that you are strong enough to get through this and to help your girls get through this - it sounds like you have a good support system - and you are a loving, caring mother. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I have been doing so-so food wise. I could be doing better and I could be doing worse. I'm not going to stress about it though - I just want to rest, get better and then get back to the program. I didn't get to a meeting this morning - I got a good night's sleep and slept a little later than usual - and I feel better today than yesterday. I looked up if they have meetings out east - there is a meeting on Friday morning - but it's about a 1/2 hour away from where we are staying. Probably won't happen but who knows, I may decide to take a ride. As for out at the beach - I'm going to try to eat as Core as I can. There's always seafood out there and I'm just going to try to eat moderately. I plan on taking my yoga mat just to try to keep limber and stretch my hip. It's supposed to rain tomorrow but be nice (and a little warmer than usual on Friday). I'll take shoes for walking although whether not I get out depends on this rotten cold. There is one computer out there - hard to get access to it so I don't know if I'll be able to check in or not. We're coming back on Saturday but if I don't get a chance to get on, have a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year!

Judy