Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 02:38 PM   #16  

Hi!

I've done the meetings. Then I did ww on my own with the materials provided in the meetings. I've done the online a couple times. And now I am back to the meetings.

Here's my take on it...

The online program is worth it if...you can't get the materials any other way. Otherwise I think it sucks. Online is online that's it. You can't access a points calculators if you aren't online. Say for example in the grocery store, or standing in your kitchen. If you have a laptop and can use it in your kitchen to get online, great. But for me it was a pain the butt to run back to my office to calculate the points on something. The "recipe builder" offered online sucks. You can get better results with a $15 copy of Master Cook. I like these message boards better than the one sat WW. The online WW offers articles (many you can access for free anyway) and recipes. But frankly if you can get to the meeting or at least the materials you can find better or comparable services to offset the rest of the features of the online program cheaper or even free if you search the web. Every recipe featured in the "food" section of this website's main page has the points value listed.

If you can do the meetings I like that best I feel it's worth the money. If you can't do the meetings regularly I suggest going to enough of them to get the marterials. The only I way I know of to get a slider/tracker/calculator..aka the thing that tells you how many points something is from someone who has one and doesn't want it or the meetings or through the "at home" program. The activity points calculator comes in week 3. Someone attending meetings could buy you the books (Food Companion and Dining out Guide). I've joined at quit enough times I have like 3 extra points sliders.

"At home" is not available to me in this area. But if it is then it's probably worth it. If you figure I had to pay $30 to register and $12 a week. So it cost me $174 for the basic materials. I'm not sure what is included in the "At Home", but if it's $126 for teh same stuff you get at 12 weeks of meetings it's worth it.

As far as WW meeting specific dietary needs you can eat ANYTHING on WW. You just count the points. Veggies are 0 points and 0 sodium if you don't eat canned ones. Fruits are low in points, chicken breast is only 1 point per ounce. So you can eat way more than rice cakes. WW offers the flexibility to meet many special dietary needs. If you want to eat cheesecake you can, just count the points. The trick is to find foods that fill you up for the fewest points. For the same amount of points there is in one slice of cheese cake you can eat an entire healthy meal. It's just how you choose to spend your points. So I am not sure where one would think WW does not allow you low sodium foods.

WW is no more than a way of calorie counting with an emphasis on meeting certain healthy guidlines. It is a way of eating appropriate portions, it is a way of losing weight, you can't expect to be able to eat everything in unlimited portions. It's not a quick fix. 1/2 a pound to 2 pounds a week is what they expect you to lose. Don't expect pounds to fall off left and right. It's not a fad diet you go on and off. It's way of eating for the rest of your life.

WW may not be for everyone, I completley understand that. Perhaps instead of disregarding the program you could try a meeting or online or at home program and get information from a reliable source. Many new peole to the program do not fully understand it.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #17  

Talking

My boss got me doing WW by giving me a set of the at home books and slide. I did well but started slacking off. So I joined online and I think it helps me to be acountable. I love having everything so organized. I really love the recipe conversions ect.
The meetings are 12 miles away and on the night I work late and I can't get to them in time. So what ever works...RIGHT
Old 11-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #18  

Debbie- When I did WW online the recipe builder only allowed/counted 4 grams of fiber for the ENTIRE recipe when giving you those points. So for example if your entire recipe yeilds 16 grams of fiber and serves four instead of calculating 4 per person it calculated points based on a maximum of four for the entire thing. Or at least that's what several people told me. When I calculated stuff myself it was always lower on points than the online recipe builder. Which would make sense if the fiber thing was true. So I found master cook to be better. Does it still do that?

Master cook has it's down falls too. It gives you a calorie, fat and fiber total in the nutrion info of a recipe. But if you have a 0 point item such as broccoli it adds in 35 calories per cup of broccoli or whatever, which would increase the points. So you have to play aroudn with it. But I paid $15 for that not $15 or whatever a MONTH for the online WW which didn't work either.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:33 PM   #19  
Proud Mommy

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5 ' 3

You can always go on ebay and find the whole program on there

Here is one that is buy it now for $29.50 plus shipping..ends in 42 minutes,but gives you an idea you dont have to pay even $100 for it

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weight-Watchers-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-28-2005, 12:22 PM   #20  

Snapple I was just looking at those and thinking what a great deal if I didn't have the stuff already.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #21  

I am on ww online and Just started. I really like it. I cannot go to meetings as my hubby is on oxygen with emphysema and homebound. It is hard for me to get out for meetings. I lost 5 lbs before starting ww and that motivated me to go ahead and get the weight off. I think it is well worth the money.
Shirl
Closed Thread