Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 09:01 AM   #1  
GARDENING ADDICT

Thumbs down

Hi everybody
Let's start this new thread with a new start. I love Sharon's idea of starting a behavior challenge (I have several behaviors that I need to change )
Sharon~~~ How would you like to set-up the challenge? On this thread or different one? I'm going to start at the beginning with a behavior that i feel is crutial to weight loss~drinking enough water. I have a real problem with this but i know I do better when I drink at least 8 glasses a daY. I would love to make that a habit again.
Come on, we can do it!!!
~~~Sil
Old 05-15-2001, 09:10 AM   #2  
GARDENING ADDICT

Carla~~~ I saw your entry on the MD challenge. Way to go,girl!!!~~~Sil
Old 05-15-2001, 06:59 PM   #3  

Am I doing well ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am realising that the stress of what is going on with Lisa is wiping me out more than I thought.I am not a happy lassie
In fact I am downright depressed!!
her boyfriend rang me yesterday to say she is talking again about this fascination with what it would be like to be on the other side (dead) I cant think what else to do . She says (to him) that where all gonna die anyway so why bother.
She wont talk to the counseller and I have to take her on Friday for an assesment at a mental health place in the city.
I just want her to be happy and I never thought that would be a hard thing she's always seemed fine if rather moddy and "piggy" at times but I just put that down to her age. She never seems sad or depressed or ever cries in fact she puts up rather a hard front, oh what to do.......
p.s I have given up on counting the fat and fibre in evrything it was just to much trouble and effort and I just dont have it in me at this time. Counting points is easier and Im doing that best I can but my weight is still up to 166lb and Im not suprised.

Sorry I cant be more of an inspriation to anyone but Im glad your there xx
Old 05-16-2001, 07:04 AM   #4  

Hi All,

Jenny I can't even imagine how difficult your situation is daily. I 'll keep you and your daughter and family in my prayers. Not to be a nudge but do you have a support group for yourself. They really do help. Take care and post here about anything whenever you feel the need.

Sil I thought we could do it right here on this board. That way it may get the board moving and we can just include it in our daily writings.

It's said that if you do something continuously for 21 days it will become a habit so I am starting a 21 day behavioral challenge. It's tempting to pick many things but stick to one behavior at a time.

DAY 1
My 21 day challenge is to drink all my water. I don't mean to be a copy cat but I do it a day or two and just forget about it.

Yesterday I took the kids to the Bronx Zoo. We were there for five hours so I got a lot of walking in and most of the time I was pushing the girls(80#s) in the stroller. I ate well and drank my water. I did eat Chinese food last night so maybe it's water retention. I made the mistake of weighing myself this morning and I was up. The next 21 day challenge is going to be not to weigh myself at home.

Have a good day.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:48 PM   #5  
GARDENING ADDICT

Hi Everybody

Jenny~~~I'm so sorry that you and your daughter are going through this difficult time.I know it is sad when you know what is best for them, but they are resistant to our help. Stay close to her (relationship wise) and give her all the help and love that you can. I'll keep you in my prayers that things will work out.And know that we are here for you in whatever way we can. Don't forget to take care of yourself,also.

Sharon~~~ DAY 2~ For the past 2 days I have done great on the water intake I have also been reading The Body For Life book.It sounds very interesting because it is so structured as far as exercise. The food intake also makes alot of sense to me. DH said he would do it along with me, and if he does then it will be easier because he won't be bringing snack food into the house. They allow one free day a week to eat whatever you want and that will be our day to go out for dinner. I got alot of info from this website (Diet Plans) and from reading the book.
I would be so proud of myself if I could stick to the exercising routine for the full 3 months
I plan to start on Monday but I have been experimenting with the diet this week.

Hello to everybody else !!! Where are you?
Don't forget to drink your water!!!!!!
~~~Sil
Old 05-16-2001, 07:45 PM   #6  
snerdlet

Default Howdy Partners

Hey fellow WW peoples.....

Sil and Sharon - I like the idea of a behavioral change challenge. I have no problem drinking the water though. At wotk I drink a 16oz bottled water and then proceed to refill it at least two times, and most times three. I don't think I woudl get through my day without drinking that water.....But oddly enough I struggle to drink it on the weekend. I guess it really becomes a routine during the week becuase my week is so structured.

Jenny - I am so sorry you are going through so much stress. It sounds like your daughter is severely depressed...I am surprised that the doctors haven't prescribed medication.

Welcome Jodie (not to be confused with Jody who we miss)

Ummmmm I wanted to tell you guys about a fascinating experience I had on-line. I signed up through a web site to "Become a New ME" in three weeks. The web site is -
http://www.thirdage.com/learning/health/well_revitalize.html
and I took the first test and was devastated at the results. I scored a 30 out of 100 on the test - How well do you treat yourself. If you get a chance you shoudl sign up and it will definitely open your eyes.

I gotta go - severe lightning outside and I am on a non-protected line. See ya -
Pat

Old 05-16-2001, 08:14 PM   #7  

Jenny - I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. It sounds like she's really depressed. I went through a period when I considered suicide, so I'm glad that you're taking it so seriously. She sounds like she needs professional help. What a great boyfriend she has, calling you instead of brushing it off or trying to deal with it by himself. All the best with the assessment on Friday.

The 21 day challenge! I've heard about how we can create a habit in that time. I have so many bad habits, I don't even know where to start! Eating while I read, not eating at the table, binging, going over my points by a couple and then thinking, well, I've failed, I might as well go crazy... the list goes on... I'll think about what I can deal with and get back to you all tomorrow. The one good habit I have is drinking lots of water, up to 3 litres a day. I love it, and besides, in this heat you have to drink a lot or you'd shrivel up. I would love to get rid of some of my bad habits, I don't like how I feel about myself when I don't treat myself well.

I'm rethinking my situation and realizing that I have to find new ways to exercise, the gym just isn't going to work with the baby. I'm going to look for some exercise VCD's and see if I can find something to lay over the marble floor so I don't hurt my knees. That would be a start, at least until we can afford a treadmill.

Have a great day everyone! I hope we all go to bed feeling good about what we've done today.

Jodie
Old 05-16-2001, 08:40 PM   #8  
snerdlet

Default howdy partners

Sorry I didn't finish my thoughts - I had to wait for the lightning to go away...

The web sight offers a three week program to help you help yourself. Here's the course outline:

Week One: Setting Priorities
• Self-assessment & goal-setting.
• Lifelong beauty & well-being.
• Stress relief & relaxation.

Week Two: Enhance Energy & Passion
• Exercise made easy.
• Sensuality & sexuality.
• Passions.

Week Three: Beauty Inside & Out
• Eat well; be well.
• Skin care.

Week Four: Review and Graduation
• Test your revitalization knowledge.
• Receive your diploma!

It was on the self assessment test that I did so badly. But the good news is I am treating myself better, I actually schedule time to take better care of myself - like getting in exercise at least three times a week, doing favors for people in need, and even brushing my teeth twice a day versus once a day. So if you want to check it out the web sight is above, and you have to register with them and give your e-mail address so they can send you each weeks course. And it is a self-paced course so there is no real timeframe to finish it in.

I hope you try it and you find it as fascinating as I do.
Pat

Old 05-16-2001, 09:19 PM   #9  
GARDENING ADDICT

Pat~~~
I just signed up up for that class and one on computers. I took a quiz on how well you take care of yourself, but i can't remember what it was called. it looks like alot of fun. I'll have to visit it again tomorow. Thanks for the great tip!!!
Have you received the first assignment of the class? Was that the test that you took?
~~~Sil
Old 05-16-2001, 09:49 PM   #10  

PAT Im looking at it now and have signed up too, thanks for sharing!

The thing with Lisa and this depression is that she seems just the same as she always has so its so hard to help since she insists nothing is wrong.
If only it was so easy to make her happy like it was when she was little.
She has a bit of acne which seems to be bothering her and I took her to the doctors today and she also wanted to go on the pill. Everything seems to be happening at once. Im feeling old.
He had a talk to me on my own and said what a plesant bright girl she seemed and just try to use lots of positive talk about her as she cant see how wonderful she is. I had thought we had ,had a happy fun day on Sunday but the second we got home she was on the phone to the boyfriend (so he tells me) saying how bored and sad she was and felt like she didnt want to be here (on earth).
No I dont have a support group but i do have you guys and I value your friendship thoughts and prayers.
I am telling her that tomorrow she MUST open up and tell them how she feels that even if there is no "problem" that she fell sad and depressed for no particular reason otherwise no one can help her and maybe they can give her something or whatever.

Oh well Im going to go and read my "learning centre student handbook" and have my cuppa tea.
Old 05-17-2001, 08:20 AM   #11  

Default DAY 1

Day 1 Yes I said day one since I didn't drink much water yesterday. I did drink a lot of coffee way too much. I was doing ok and then I crashed when I came down from all that caffeine, Today I will drink 8 glasses of water even though is is going to be difficult because it's cold damp outside and we have the school picnic today. I don't do well when I'm cold. But I'm working tonight and I always drink water then.

Happy to see more activity. Dena and Carla if you are out there we miss you. Though Carla I heard you are doing well on the Memorial Day Challenge. Congratulations! I'll have to check it out.

Pat thanks for the info I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:05 AM   #12  
GARDENING ADDICT

Happy Thursday Everybody (lurkers included!)

I did great with the water intake yesterday. Some of it was decaf ice tea~ that counts right? I even started with getting in 5-6 small meals a day according to Body For Life (BFL). I'm awaiting my first assignment from the 3 Weeks to a New You. Can't wait~I'm excited about the new changes that I want to accomplish and am very motivated (the first in a long time) I already feel like I have more energy~~hooray!

DAY 3~~~ In getting ready to start the BFL next week, I have already done my 20 min aerobic workout. (first thing in the am on an empty stomach).
I wasn't sure if 20 min would be enough but it is based on a series of increasing intensity during the workout and I did sweat. With time, I plan to push my intensity levels up higher.
I've had 1 cup of coffee and 2 glasses of water so far. I might sneak in 1 more cup of coffee with my first mini meal. Thursdays will be my FREE DAY and I can eat anything that I want DH and I are going out for dinner tonight~~we've both been craving a good steak.

Jodie~~~ I like what you said about going to bed feeling good about what we did that day.

Jenny~~~ Hang in there, gal!! It sounds like you are staying on top of things. And I'm glad to see you back on the board more often. We miss ya when you are gone

Dena, Carla, Jody ~~~We miss you gals!

I'll check back in later. See ya!!!~~~Sil
Old 05-17-2001, 09:32 PM   #13  
snerdlet

Default Howdy Partners

Sil, Sharon, Jennie - I think you will like the on-line class. Yes I got my first lesson last week. That was where I took the test...that is one of the first things you do. They ask you questions, then after you answer they explain you why the question is important to you. Then at the end they tell you how you scored. I didn't do to well and I could immediately see why. But I am on to the next lesson about stress reduction which I really need.

Sharon - when I was going to WW meetings the leader told me that you could substitute up to half of your water with flavored water (non-sugar laden), like lemonade, kool-aide, and even coffee (although she recommended decaf without cream) as long as you were drinking plain water for the other 32oz. Even sugar free hot cocoa counted, but if the drink has calories you have to count those. I hope that helps.

I hope you guys enjoy the image I am attaching. I cracked up when I saw it......
Pat

Old 05-18-2001, 04:32 PM   #14  
GARDENING ADDICT

Happy Friday

Pat~~~The picture of the dancing sheep(?) was too cute! I haven't received my class assignment yet. Maybe next week.

Sharon~~~How are you doing on the behavior challenge? Today is DAY 4 for me and so far I'm doing great

I plan on getting in an upper body workout later today. I am determined to get in better shape!!!!

I hope Dena, Jody, Jenny, Jodie and Carla are all doing well.
Ya'll have a fantastic weekend (me, I'll be working )
~~~Sil
Don't forget to drink your water!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2001, 08:27 PM   #15  
snerdlet

Default Howdy Partners

Sil - yes, those are supposed to be dancing sheep. I received my e-mail for the lesson about two days after I signed up. I don't know if that web site has set days they send out the e-mail or whether it is driven by when you sign up.

Anyway - I wanted to give you guys a little encouragement (and a little for myself too). So here goes -

Just what made that little ol' ant
Think he could move that rubber tree plant
Everyone knows an ant...can't move a rubber tree plant
...................high hopes,..............high hopes
But he has.......................he has
He has high apple pie in the sky hopes
So when you ..... blah blah blah blah (I forget the words here)

Whoops there goes another rubber tree
Whoops there goes another rubber tree
Whoops there goes another rubber tree PLANT!!

Last edited by snerdlet; 05-18-2001 at 08:32 PM.

Closed Thread