Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Weigh In At Home 8/30 - 9/5

Hi all.

I hope you all had a good weekend.

Kristin - A huge pat on the back to you for your victory over the pizza and wings on Friday. Way to go! Keep the memory of how good it felt to be strong tucked away so you can bring it out during the tough times.

I had a pretty good weekend. We went to the Viva Chicago festival yesterday - Latino music and, of course, food. I indulged in some delicious food, but we did a lot of walking around, so it all balanced out. I really have to concentrate on getting in my water today - I've been retaining, losing, retaining water the last few days. Today was back to school day. Ana has a 1/2 day today and tomorrow and Wednesday it's back full-time. It will be good to get in the routine again.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Old 08-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #2  
kmk

Good morning-oops I guess its afternoon now-

Carla - Sounds like you had a fun weekend. We had an Irish festival this weekend. I indulged(I saved points for it)but all the dancing, jumping around and singing had to count for something. It sure felt good. I'm looking forward to school starting(next week) and getting back to the routine. It will be nice to be back to work and getting a paycheck too. My son started modified football practice today and the poor boy is wiped out. It didn't aggravate his asthma so I'm hoping he'll like and it will help to channel some of that 13-year-old boy energy of his. One less stress in my life if he's busy and staying out of trouble.

I weighed myself today and I lost 2 lbs. I don't feel it physically but I do feel more in control than I have in ages. Due to the miserable humidity I didn't get very much exercise in this last week. Its supposed to be better weather this week so I plan to really focus on my treadmill workouts. I know they help my mental state. It will be nice when I start seeing the physical results. My sister is visiting so she sees what I look like now. I'll be visiting Michigan for Thanksgiving and my goal is to stick to this so I'll get to hear those sweet words, "You look great" from my parents, sister and brothers when I'm there. I would like to lose 30 lbs by then(its my mini-goal).Its probably a little unrealistic but so long as I keep losing, I'll be making progress. I'm looking forward to getting rid of my "fat" clothes. I intend to periodically ditch clothes as they become too big. It will also help to eliminate all that clutter in my bedroom and closets. Okay, I'm rambling now because I'm avoiding housework. Time to fold laundry...maybe there'll be something I can get rid of - oh what an ego boost that would be!

Some succeed because they are destined to,
but most succeed because they are determined to.

-Kristin
Old 08-31-2004, 10:47 AM   #3  

Hi all,

Kristin - Congrats on your terrific loss! Although you don't feel/see it physically right now, you will soon enough. For now revel in that feeling of control. It's a great one, isn't it? Sounds like you had a fun weekend too. I'm sure that the dancing and jumping, and yes even the singing, helped counteract any indulgence. Since you mentioned getting back to work, I'm wondering if you work in a school? Any other kids besides your 13 yo. You're right - working off that energy in a sports program can only be a good thing.

I had an ok day yesterday. We ended up going out to eat for dinner. John had to have a laser treatment to repair a pin hole in his retina and by the time he got done with his appt and I drove us home about 15 -20 miles in rush hour traffic, it was late and we were tired, so... I enjoyed, and I do mean enjoy, a nice juicy burger. Now it's back to business. I've marked one year doing this on-line and tomorrow I'll see what results it's netted me. Next year at this time, I want to be on maintenance, or close to it. I've been able to easily switch back and forth between plans on-line so that I can more closely look at the food lists for core. While I don't think I can sustain the program for long periods of time, I do think that doing core once a month or so is doable for me, as long as I plan out my shopping and meals. The food lists are really comprehensive and once I saw that polenta was a core food, well then I nearly had to declare my undying love for the Core program right then and there. At any rate, my excursion into Core will still be a couple of weeks or so away, but I definitely will give it a try.

Carla
Old 08-31-2004, 10:59 AM   #4  

Carla - It sounds like you had a fun weekend. I'm with you on getting the water in. I always find that when all of my meals are eaten out, I always retain a lot of water. Yup, back to school is around the corner for me. I'm going to try to get to bed earlier each night and up earlier each morning so that next Tuesday isn't such a shock! That's great that you know Ana's teachesr already and that they came to meet with her where she is comfortable. There's a lot to be said for that. Anthony is going to be starting a parochial school next week. Krista wasn't thrilled with the school she saw in the new neighborhood (and I had heard that it wasn't very good) so although I am a supporter of public schools in general, I'm glad that he will be going elsewhere.

Kristin - Congratulations on your great loss and that's great about feeling more in control than you have in a long time. Isn't that a great feeling? Are you a teacher?? I'm currently working as a teaching assistant while I get my Masters in Ed and get certified (dual elementary ed and literacy). It was a big career change for me (after 19 years in technology down on Wall Street) but I love what I'm doing and so it's worth all the upheavel it has caused. Yeah, it's miserably humid down state too. If the humidity really does clear out with the rain, maybe DH and I can get out and play a little tennis. I always feel great after that.

I had a good week last week - I only lost 0.5 pound (a little disappointing for my 2nd week of Phase I) but considering we were away a couple of days, I'm pleased that I lost anything. I did pretty well foodwise in AC and did OK with the alcohol too - not perfect but much better than the last time. I've decided that I'm going to try to become a morning exerciser again. I'll be going to grad school on Mon & Tues evenings so that really cuts out any exercise unless I do it before work in the morning. Plus, I figure if I do something in the morning, I can come home and go straight to get some homework done Wed - Fri which should hopefully cut down on what I have to do on weekends. At least that's my plan! I figured on starting this week as I am trying to re-adjust my sleeping/waking schedule back to school-mode. I did a short yoga workout this morning although I let myself snooze a little longer than I wanted to.

I'm eagerly awaiting looking at the new WW materials from my sister - I hope to get a chance by the weekend at the latest. From what I've read, I think I may be able to incorporate some of the SBD eating (which definitely has helped my cravings) with the new plan - with maybe a little more fruit included. I do miss the social aspect of the meetings and there is free registration until Oct. Anyway, I'll see how this week goes and maybe go back to a meeting the following weekend - once I have a paycheck again!

My goal for September, BTW is to get into the 140's - we have a wedding to go to the first weekend in October and while I won't be "thin" by then, I'd like to get into another decade - even it no one else notices, I'll know it!

Have a great one.
Judy
163.6/153.5/135
169/240 workouts
Old 08-31-2004, 11:04 AM   #5  

Carla - you must have posted as I was typing! Hey, a burger is do-able so I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope John is doing OK?? Since you have access to the Core program online - here's a few questions. If you make a meal with all core foods but one ingredient (like you use a 2% cheese instead of fat free in an omelet) do you count the points of only the cheese against your weekly allowance or do you count the points of the whole omelet? Also, I think there are some starches that are allowed in limited amounts per day (whole wheat pasta is one of them I think) but are there any fruit restrictions? Are you allowed the same number of allowance points as flex points, i.e., 35?

Thanks,
Judy
Old 08-31-2004, 11:11 AM   #6  
Canadian, eh?

Hi All,

Just a very quick "good morning" - my PC isn't ready yet, and it's going to be busier than ever here today. Had a terrible weekend food wise, we hosted a bbq and I got into far more wine than I'd planned and lost all portion-size and food selection abilities. Sunday I laid around feeling horribly hungover and lazy - I can't remember when I last had too much to drink...and it won't happen again any time soon.

I haven't read the posts yet...I'll try to get back and do that later.

Have a good day!

Karen
Old 08-31-2004, 02:58 PM   #7  

Judy - Enjoy your last few days of freedom! Kind of good to get your grad school classes out of the way early in the week, no? Congrats on your loss. Look at it this week - that's 4 pounds over two weeks. That's some great losing. As for your CORE questions, I'll give them a shot. (There seems to be a lot of confusion out there, even among leaders. Kind of par for the course.) I believe that if you make a meal using a combo of core and non-core foods, that you would only count the points for the non-core. I know that's how I'd do it. In the case of your omelet - if you ate the egg and cheese separately, you'd only count the chees, so it makes sense to me that you'd only count the cheese in the omlette. You're right about the starch restrictions: whole wheat pasta, brown rice, high fiber cereal and a potato are all core foods, allowed only once a day. (There are those that say that you can only have one of these starchy items a day, but I believe that you can have each of them once a day.) As far as I recall, there really weren't any fruit restrictions as long as it's fresh, wholefruit or frozen without sugar. Frozen fruit with sugar added, dried fruit and fruit juice are not core. You're allowed 35 flex points for the week and you still earn activity points. And 94% fat free popcorn - it's core. I think that you'd really like CORE, especially as you're having success with SBD. From what I gather, it's similar to Phase II of SBD, but less restrictive in terms of fruit and starchy vegetables. But I'll let you be the judge of that once you read the materials. I'm really going from total resistence to CORE to wanting to use it part of the time.

Karen - Ah, yes, the evil hangover. Drinking ain't what it used to be when we were younger, eh? Hope your day calms down.

Talk to you all later.

Carla
Old 09-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #8  
kmk

Good morning -

The last 2 days have gone well for me. Its been hectic with my sister visiting, my son's football practice and trying to get ready for school but that keeps me away from the kitchen and all the evils that lurk within. Last night I nmade a big dinner with marinated tuna steaks, zucchini w/ tomatoes, onions and basil(all from the garden), garlic bread and homefried potates. I pigged out on the tuna and zucchini and was more than satisfied. In fact, everyone was dissappointed when the veggies were gone.

I am not a teacher but I work in 2 of our district's elementary schools. I'm a lunch monitor at my kids' former school-I just can't give it up. Its a thankless job-whatever goes wrong is your fault-but I would miss the kids too much. I'm strict(I make them stand and be quiet in line or while walking through the halls-egads!)but the kids hug me and most are glad when they find I'm their monitor. I think its because I don't allowed the undisciplined kids disrupt lunch and recess for everyone else. Its scary how today's younger generation has been given so many freedoms without the experience and responsiblity. An entitlement mentality prevails and it can make working with children difficult. Luckily, I was raised in a big family(7 kids)and that kind of nonsense was never tolerated. It may ruffle the "feel-good, self-esteem" people but I believe self-esteem and respect should be earned and I dig my feet in on that issue.
My more intensive job is as a school-age child care counselor for the YMCA. I'm site leader for an on-site(at a different elementary school) before and after school program. We are required by the state(and the Feds)to participate in training throughout the year. We are expected to do lesson planning, creative disciplining and be liaison for parents and teachers. We have to support the curriculum of kindergarten through fifth grade. With NY state's tougher standards this can be a challenge. We do this all for less money than a fast food employee. Why, you may ask? We fill in the gaps that today's overburdened families and schools can't. For some of these kids we are the only stability they know. We reinforce the values and self-discipline that seems to be wavering in many homes. All that aside, the real reason I do it is because those kids need me and I LOVE watching them grow and flourish. Okay , I'm stepping off my soapbox now.

Judy - you have my undying admiration for pursuing the field of education. Its tough getting there, its tough maintaining, but the benefits(hugs, drawings and the occaisonal thank you from a parent) far outweigh the tribulations.

Carla - I also have a 16 year old daughter. She is definately the embodiment of The Parents' Curse. Everything my husband and I put our parents through has come back to haunt us with a vengeance. Both her and her brother are highly intelligent and are constantly challenging us in more ways than I ever thought possible. They're both good kids so I just keep on top of whats going on and don't think twice about contacting their schools and teachers. I've learned my lesson on that one. Remember parents, no matter what anyone(professional or not)YOU know your child better than anyone else. Trust your instinct because most of time its right. Oops the soapbox weasled its way out again. Sorry.

I've got 4 bulletin boards to do, cabinets to clean and stock,planning to get down on paper and a parent newsletter to do. I guess I shuold stop wasting time and get to it. I've gots lots of low point leftovers so eating on the run shouldn't be a problem. I doubt I'll get much exercise in but I'm shooting for 3 treadmill sessions this week and the weekend should give me some extra time for that. I hope.

Have a Wonderful Wednesday everyone.

-Kristin
(Thanksgiving goal - "You look great!" from out of town relatives.)
Old 09-01-2004, 10:36 AM   #9  

Hi all,

Kristin - It's unbelievable that you earn less than a fast food employee, but sadly it's all too true throughout the child care industry. Bless you for caring about these kids for the sake of the kids and not for the monetary rewards. I teach religious ed once a week - 5 year olds - and there is nothing that beats seeing a child learn and flourish. As for your soapbox, I firmly believe that self-esteem and self-discipline are not mutually exclusive. In fact the latter often leads to the former. It's not like you can't teach a kid responsibility and values without destroying his self-esteem. As for your own kids, if they're challenging you, they're probably less likely to do whatever just because everyone else is. It's a good thing. Although, talk to me in 10 years when my DD turns 16.... She's going to be the same way.

Judy, Judy, Judy - What the heck happened to your Yankees last night? Oh my goodness. Of course, you know that that game tied a 1975 game for biggest shutout. And the losers in 1975 - my Cubbies, of course. At least you're still leading your division.

I'm reporting a .02 gain for the week. Really more of a maintain. So for my year-long on-line effort I have a net of nearly 20 pounds lost. Could have been a lot more. Should have been at least 10 pounds more if I hadn't gained back that weight last month. But, it's still 20 pounds less than I weighed last year at this time and it's a heck of a lot better than being 20 pounds heavier. And now to work that much harder the next 52 weeks. I'm going to do Flex this week and then next week I think I'll give Core a whirl. I have a few challenges this week: lunch at California Pizza Kitchen tomorrow - but I know that I'm having a salad, so it won't be too bad. Monday we're going to a cook out, but I can control what I eat, so all should be well. John would like to go away for the weekend, but I really want to stay home and get stuff done around the house. Since we just got back from vacation, I think I'll prevail.

Have a great day.

Carla
279.6/260.2/145
Old 09-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #10  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning!

Another quickie - the good news is that my PC is being delivered this evening.

Krisitn - what wonderful things you do for kids - I'm in awe! LOL re your daughter - been there done that. My DD is 23 now, and doing great. I seriously dobted I'd survive the teen years.

Carla - good news on the maintain. 20 lbs in a year is great! Like you said, better than a gain. Slow steady weight loss is said to be very healthy - even if it's frustrating.

Judy - enjoy your last few days before school. Congrats on your loss and what *did* happen to your Yankees yesterday?

I had a maintain today, which, considering my weekend is a gift! Treadmilled for 30 mins before work today.

My goal for September is a 5 lb loss. Anyone care to join me?

Have a good day...

Karen
Old 09-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #11  

Karen - Congrats on the maintain. I'll join you on that September goal. You've made whole wheat pasta, right? I was in Whole Foods today and picked up some whole wheat pasta and have noticed that there aren't any cooking directions on the package. Does whole wheat pasta cook about the same as regular, or does it need a longer or a shorter cooking time?

Speaking of whole wheat pasta, I mis-spoke on yesterday's thread re: the CORE program. It is one serving of whole wheat pasta OR a potato OR brown rice per day.

Carla
Old 09-01-2004, 03:26 PM   #12  
Canadian, eh?

Carla, I think it cooks about the same as regular. Be sure to taste. I like mine a little more al dente than Mike, so if he cooks it, I find it a little overdone. I like the "nutty" flavor of the whole wheat.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:59 PM   #13  

Carla - Congratulations on dropping and keeping off 20 pounds this year - that is indeed an accomplishment. I'm cyber-patting you on the back big time - Whooooohooooo! I'm with you on staying in one place this weekend - the only thing I may do is go over to my parent's pool on Friday but that shouldn't be much of a challenge and only one for lunch anyway. Thanks for the CORE info. I read my sister's materials last night (and made copies) and I think it's something I definitely want to try. I may even start of Saturday and join you for a core week. Even though SBD has been working well, I would like to see if I can eat pretty similarly but with more fruit. At least, it's worth it to see what happens for a week. Even with the only one of those starches a day (whole wheat pasta, potato,etc. which is what my sister said too) that's still shouldn't be a problem. The Yankees, <sigh>. Thankfully Tony and I love tennis and the US Open is on because once it because 6-0 we turned it off in disgust. Their problem is pitching - has been for months. Only 3.5 games ahead of the Dread Sox - after a huge lead - I'm disgusted and a bit worried but we'll just have to see. At least it's nice to know that I have company in a way as you understand with the same thing having happened to your Cubbies.

Karen - ouch! Sorry to hear about your hangover. I had one about a year ago (it had been quite some time but they had these sour apple martinis.....) and I forgot just how miserable they are. Yeah on your computer being delivered today - you might even be unpacking it right now! Oy, as we say in the NY, the Yankees - at least I didn't let them upset me enough to eat (although with all the good whole foods I really don't get snack attacks like I used to). I'm with you on the goal of 5 lbs for September. I have a wedding to go to the first week in October and while I won't have lost as much as I originally planned, 5 more pounds would be great and I think it's doable.

Kristin - I have nothing but the greatest respect for BOTH jobs you do. I know how very little the pay is but I also know how important both positions are! Our elementary school has a before and after school YMCA and I know how needed it is. Yes, there is a lot for you to do before next week - I hope to be in that same position in a year or two (depending on what the head of the Spec Ed and Literacy department says!) That meal sounds fabulous and it's great that you have lots of low point munchies left over! Yes, even as a teaching assistant, the benefits as you put it so well, really make this whole journey of mine worthwhile. Oh, and take out that soapbox anytime you want!

Well I've managed to do a little yoga every morning this week and I went to bed 45 min earlier last night and got up a little earlier today. I don't think I'll manage more exercise today. I went up to CT to see a woman with whom I was great friends with at camp growing up (30 years ago). We saw each other at a camp reunion last year (first reunion ever) and finally got together today. It was (as it was last year) as if 30 years had not passed. Anyway, after about 2.5 hours total driving, I'm a little tired but Tony and I are going to try to get in a little tennis tomorrow. No real challenges coming up foodwise.

Have a great evening!
Judy
Old 09-02-2004, 11:50 AM   #14  

Hi all.

Karen - Thanks for the response. I prefer my pasta al dente too, so I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I too love the nutty taste of whole grains. Here's hoping your new PC is up and running.

Judy - Good for not letting the Yanks start you on stress eating! I think the CORE plan will especially be a boon in the summer with all the good fruit in season. I have my meal list ready to go for next week and am now actually looking forward to it. What a turn around, right? I've been stressing a bit about some of my favorite breakfasts and lunches, but I can do without them, if need be, for a week. I'm also thinking that I'll be looking to snack on junk a lot less and will be able to use by 35 points for a few of those breakfasts/lunches. I also think that I'll be more apt to get my dairy in, especially in the form of milk, as well as my fruit when I don't have to spend points on them. I still I'll be doing FLEX weeks as well as CORE weeks, but who knows what the ratio will be?

I had a pretty good day yesterday. Used a handful of flex points, but I still have plenty left. I'm looking forward to having a great salad at California Pizza Kitchen and perhaps will split a pizza with my friend, if we decide to do that. Dinner tonight will be Lloyds BBq and corn on the cob, so it will be relatively low point. So I'm all set. Other than my Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, I don't have my usual stash of sweets in the house and am not really missing them, so I'm not going to go into withdrawals next week. And if I really want something sweet while on core (besides sugar free/fat free pudding, which I believe is on the CORE list, but don't take my word for it), well I'll just have to earn the activity points to have it.

Carla
Old 09-02-2004, 10:54 PM   #15  
Canadian, eh?

Hi everyone,

Ta da! Posting from my new PC. Better, faster, stronger, and best of all - it doesn't lock up.

Judy - What a great visit with your friend. I have a friend that I very seldom see, but when we get together it's like we saw each other last yesterday. We'll have you looking great for that wedding in October. Five pounds will make a big difference to you.

Carla - Hope you enjoyed your lunch. Dinner sounds very tasty too. Good for you for not having the sweet stuff around. I'm much better without it too. I can't just have a bit and go back a week later and have some more; it's pretty much all or none for me. My worst weakness is ice cream. I only get a very small amount for special occasions now.

I've been dutifully treadmilling. Twice yesterday and got up at 5:15 this morning and did a half hour. My legs are a little tight climbing stairs, but I feel pretty good overall. Tomorrow I'm working a half day and then getting ready to head up to our property on Saturday morning. I'm staying for two weeks with the dogs, and Mike will be up on weekends as he couldn't get time off work. I'm looking forward to solitude, nature, a stack of good books, many naps, living without a calendar or watch, eating well, and basically doing my own thing! Mike's cousin & her husband live 15 minutes away, so there's help if I need it. I'll be home on the 19th, I think.

Til then, eat well, exercise lots, and I expect to see you all at least 3 lbs lighter when I'm back. Shall miss you very much.

Karen
Closed Thread