Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 08:44 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 8/23 - 8/29

Starting the thread. I'll be back in the afternoon to post
Old 08-23-2004, 04:31 PM   #2  

I'm posting a 3.5 pound loss this week. I'm pleased but, and I know Karen, you'll understand, a little disappointed because the first time I did a week of Phase I on SBD, I had a larger loss. Of course, I haven't been 100% perfect - I had a little too much PB one night and a few too many almonds on Saturday. Still, 3.5 pounds is still good and I'm really going to try to stick with Phase I this week, even when we go down to my cousin's house in Philly. I think I'll bring some string cheese or Laughing Cow light to be sure I have some OP snacks, along with some raw veggies for the road. My workouts have been good. I realized that I did some kind of workout every day last week. I may do something a little later today or I may take it as a rest day. I was overdue at the dentist (really overdue for me) and went today. Well, my mouth is a little sore from the cleanig, a little throbby almost. Sometimes cardio can make that feeling a little worse. I'll see - it would be better to work out today than tomorrow when I have to go into work (there's a meeting for the TA's) and I doubt I'll get anything in on Wed & Thurs when we'll be travelling back and forth to Philly.

Have a great one,
Judy
163.6/154/135
156/240 workouts
Old 08-23-2004, 10:46 PM   #3  
Canadian, eh?

Good evening!

Judy - great loss - even though it wasn't what you were hoping for! I hope all went well for you at the dentist; not my favorite place to go for sure. I have an ever-increasing anxiety problem when I go. I'm plugging along on my own version of Phase 2, and have done well for the last few days. We went out to a lovely seafood restaurant on Saturday night for a belated anniversary dinner; let's say I was mindful but not fanatical. We shared a bottle of wine and I had a Bailey's coffee and dessert but that only happens once a year. I got on the treadmill after dinner and did a 30 minute cardio program. I'm nowhere near where is was fitness wise this time last year - I resolve here and now to remedy that. I'm going to do an Excel spreadsheet when I'm finished here to track my progress. I'm going in to work a little later tomorrow so I can get some housework done before I go; I had a ton of stuff mapped out for the weekend, but the time just flew away.

The PC is going to go to the computer hospital tomorrow to investigate its problem with frequent freezing. I'll try to get here from work, but if not, I'll be back in a day or two!

How're you doing Janette?

Carla - thinking of you hiking throught the Rockies!

Have a great day!!

Karen
Old 08-24-2004, 01:32 PM   #4  

Karen - I hope your PC is feeling better soon. Mindful but not fanatical sounds good especially when it was your anniversary dinner. so congratulations! Way to go on getting back on the treadmill!!!! I'm not in the same shape I was last year either but if we work on it consistently, we'll get there and we can do it! What are you putting in the Excel spreadsheet? I track my workouts with a wall calendar. I write down the # of the workout, what I did and then, don't laugh, I use different colored highlighters to indicate what kind of workout I did (yellow for cardio, pink for strength, etc). It's nice because at a glance, I can see if there are too many (blank) rest days or if I've done almost all cardio and haven't done any weights.

I've been lurking a bit on the SBD threads and I've been finding them very helpful. After reading a few, I think I have to move in Phase II a little differently this time - just one good carb a day and see how that works with my weight loss. I was going to stop Phase I after today since we are going down to my cousin's tomorrow in Philly (and coming back on Thursday night) but she is very weight conscious and I think I can still continue with if I put in the effort. I'm going to bring a little cooler with good snacks so I have them if I need them both at her house and on the road.

Work today turned out to be just a 1/2 day of email training. Pretty boring for me but no complaints. I'm waiting (anxiously) to hear from the head of one of the departments at grad school - I found out yesterday that the new advisor for the Literacy department is now saying that we have to student teach *before* our 3 sequential Literacy practicums (or practicae?) - if this is true, I won't finish and get certified until the end of June 2006 (because I won't be able to take any classes next summer waiting to student teach next fall)!!! The rationale is that they want you to have classroom experience before giving you a literacy client (child) to work with. I was very upset about it when I found out yesterday and promptly penned an email to this head of the department (who I had for a course last year). He replied today that he is speaking to the advisor and someone would get back to me. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I guess the good news is that I have 2 TB of PB last night - my only snack and I stopped there - I did not eat through my "upsetness".

Janette - stop by and say hi.

Carla - I hope you are loving your vacation in the Rockies.

I may or may not get on tomorrow or Thursday but will certainly be back on Friday.

Have a great one,
Judy
Old 08-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi kids, I'm home.

I have to read through last week's thread, but thought I'd stop by and check in. We had a good time on our vacation. Bad weather though - it rained just about every day. It was a long drive out and back and we did our return trip in a straight shot, driving through the night, so we're pretty tired, though it was from the Black Hills of South Dakota. We did spend Saturday night in Wyoming and Sunday in SD. Could a state be any less populated than Wyoming? While I can appreciate the open land, one thing I learned is I'm much more of a city girl than I thought I was. Tomorrow is weigh-in day so we'll see what damage is done, if any. We did get some hiking in, but because of the rain not as much. And I skipped some because my shoes (very expensive Mephisto shoes, sigh) killed my feet. Plus the altitude and the fact that most hikes were uphill part of the way, didn't help. Food-wise - I did so-so.

Judy - Congrats on a terrific loss! I understand your disappointment, but it's still a great loss! Enjoy your trip to Philly.

Karen - Belated Happy Anniversary wishes. I am joining you on the exercise front and will most likely post a new goal for the end of the year. I have a spreadsheet for tracking my workouts and if you'd like to take a look at it and possibly use it to tweak and make your own, let me know. I'd be happy to e-mail it to you.

And now off to find out about the new WW program.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 08-24-2004, 07:41 PM   #6  

Carla - welcome back - we missed you!! Sorry to hear that you had all that rain. There's nothing worse than going away with shoes that hurt! Um, maybe Montana has less people than Wyoming? The altitude can be a killer - I remember trying to play tennis in Lake Tahoe - I was just gasping for breath. Phew - that's a ton of driving - you need a rest! Good news that you're thinking of posting a new goal for the end of the year! My sister has been going to meetings but she goes on Sat and the launch of the new system was Sunday but I should find out some stuff from her next week.

Karen - I forgot to say happy (belated) anniversary!

I heard back from the head of the Curric & Instruction Dept who basically said I had to make the request to the head of the Spec Ed & Literacy Dept so I will be composing another letter - probably sometime over the weekend. Nothing goes easily in academia!

Have a great one,
Judy
Old 08-25-2004, 09:33 AM   #7  
kmk

Good morning -

I am in need of a place to post so that I have some accountability. I restarted WW(123) last week(at home/no meetings) and when I weighed myself Monday it showed a 5 lb loss. I have set a 12 week goal of a 30 lb loss. This may be a bit of a stretch for me but whatever I lose by that point will be progress.

"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss you'll land among the stars." - Les Brown

-Kristin
184/179/?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:55 AM   #8  

Hi all.

Judy - Hmm, maybe Montana is indeed less populated. Yeah, the altitude is a killer, although it does, initially, do nice things for the metabolism. It really got to Ana - poor little thing got sick from it. Good luck with the head of Special Ed and Literacy. They should grandfather you in, since you started before the policy change. Your right about academia, though - nothing is easy.

Kristin - Weclome and congratulations on a great loss! Glad to have you.

I weighed in at 260 this morning. That's 2 pounds less than my weigh-in two weeks ago and about the same as my weigh-in the day we left. So the vacation was a success, weight-wise. However, being back in the 260s is not a good thing. Regaining that weight and having to re-tread the same ground is not a good thing. It's time to really buckle down again. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I'll give Core Plan a shot. I have read about it, but can't get at the full core lists, etc. unless I make the switch on-line. Right now I'm leaning towards sticking with Flex points, but we'll see. At any rate, I have to get grocery shopping, etc. so for this week I will be sticking to Flex.

Talk to you all later.

Carla
Old 08-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #9  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning,

Just a very brief check in from work - home PC is down and I'm swamped!

Welcome Kristin!

Judy - hope the "situation" sorts itself out for you! :fingerscrossed:

Carla - Welcome back! We missed you! Sorry about the weather and the footwear, but I hope you're relaxed and rejuvenated.

235 this morning - that's a maintain from last week, but I was NOP a bit, so that's not bad, all things considered. Did a tough 30 minute walk on the tm before work, so that's the exercise done for the day!!

Have a great day - off to get some water and to tackle the inbox!

Karen
Old 08-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #10  

Hi all.

Karen - Congrats on the maintain and on doing the tm. Hope your PC gets repaired soon!

I had a good day yesterday. Considerably less snacking, which is really a bugaboo for me. I also got my water in - something that was hard to do the last few days on the road. Now I gotta run - Ana's teacher likes to visit first year kids at home prior to the start of school. This afternoon is our turn and the house is a disaster area.

Talk to you soon.

Carla
Old 08-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #11  
Canadian, eh?

Hi everybody...

Carla - good for you for getting your water in and for curbing the snack attacks. I had some Fiber 1 for my midmorning snack today and it did a lot to keep the munchies away through the day.

Our home PC est mort. The motherboard is hooped, non technically speaking. We've ordered a very cool new one that will be ready next Tuesday, so my posts will be short and sweet till then and nonexistant over the weekend.

I'm off home now to make some tomato sauce to have with portabella mushrooms and goat cheese with pine nuts! I'll tm while it's cooking, and I've already taken the hounds to the beach this morning, so all in all, it's been a good day.

Have a great evening.

Karen
Old 08-27-2004, 09:08 AM   #12  
kmk

Morning -

Karen - sorry to hear of the demise of the home computer but...a new computer is something to look forward to! That tomato sauce you were making sounds delicious-how many points? Care to share the recipe?

Yesterday was kind of strange for me. I wasn't able to get minimum points in. No, **** hasn't frozen over. I had a busy day , it was unbearably humid and by the time I got back from a concert downtown I knew I had to eat but just had no appetite. I didn't sleep well last night. SO, I'm either getting sick, not tolerating the heat well or lack of food is getting to me. Time will tell. I'm going to be more careful about the minimum. I don't want to set my metabolism into survival mode. At least what food I ate was healthy-lots of veggies and I did get my water in. I suspect its the weather. I have never been a sun goddess.

I need to plan for the weekend-my nemesis. Any suggestions on good food to have around to avoid the weekend pitfalls? I weigh myself on Monday am-maybe that will help me to avoid temptation.

Enjoy your Friday everyone.

-Kristin
Old 08-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #13  

Hi all.

Karen - Sorry that the PC died, but yay for a cool new one. What kind are you getting? Your dinner last night sounded yummy. John loves portobellos, so I'm going to have to keep that combo in mind. Did you grill the mushroom?

Kristen - I've had, much to my own shock and surprise, days where I haven't been able to reach the minimum. You're right to not make it a habit, but once in awhile isn't going to hurt. Just think of it this way - you're listening to your body and not stuffing it with food when it's not hungry just for the sake of stuffing it. And if you were eating a lot of veggies, those are filling. I'd vote for the heat causing you to lose you're appetite since I'm not a big fan of the heat either. At least let's hope it's that and that you're not getting sick. As for the weekends - they're tough for me too. I find I do best when I just graze and do lot's of mini-meals.

I had a good day yesterday for the most part. I would have had the same problem as Kristin with not getting to my minimum, but managed to snack enough later in the evening to reach it. So, late night snacking - not so good, staying within points - good. No big challenges this weekend, thank goodness. Tomorrow we have a back-to-school picnic to go to, but it's bring your own food and I'm going to make a stop at Subway for our's. Easy to count. Sunday we're going to my mom's to pick up Luigi the cat and will have dinner there. She has a frozen lasagna that she's going to make, so again, easy to count. I'll just plan a low point day around it. And on the agenda today - clothes shopping for Ana and then probably some grocery shopping. The pantry (and the fridge and freezer) is bare.

Have a terrific day and a great weekend.

Carla
Old 08-27-2004, 12:35 PM   #14  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning -

Kristin, you poor dear! Hope you manage to survive the weekend woes, and the heat. I'd be on death's door before I couldn't manage my minimum. As for the portobellos, I used the SBD tomato sauce...you can use any spaghetti sauce though...put about 1.5-2 cups into a shallow baking dish or casserole...remove the stems from the mushrooms (2) and lay them stem side up in the sauce, crumble fresh goat cheese onto the mushrooms, sprinkle with pine nuts and voila...bung into oven for 30 min @ 350. Very tasty. As for weekend eating...I try to double up a recipe during the week for Saturday dinner (leftovers), and on Sunday try to do several dishes for the coming week - actually my personal chef (DH - Mike) does most of it; I just supervise and wash dishes!

Carla, get thee to the grocery store! I always go to pieces when there's nothing much in the fridge; things like cheez whiz right out of the jar start looking good. - don't ask why my fridge has cheez whiz in it; at least it's "lite". Enjoy the picnic and the dinner at your mom's. How exciting to be shopping for school clothes with Ana...enjoy it! Just wait eight or nine years...you'll dread shopping with a sulky teenager...ack...I'm having flashbacks!!

The IT guy at work is building a PC for us...a pentium IV with all the bells and whistles...so until it arrives, I'm saying so long for the weekend. It felt odd last night not being able to go and log on for a few minutes.

Be good, eat well, drink lots (water preferably), exercise a bit, and have a great weekend.

Karen
Old 08-27-2004, 01:39 PM   #15  

Carla - Congratulations on not gaining anything on vacation - that is great. I hope you are patting yourself on the back even if you are having to re-tread some of the same ground. Oh, poor Ana, getting sick from the altitude. I hope she wasn't sick the whole time! Thanks for the good wishes on the school thing - I don't even know if it *is* a policy change - it could just be that the advisors didn't know what they were talking about which is even worse. I'll see if my sister can give me a copy of the complete core list after she goes to her meeting tomorrow. What is involved to making the switch online? When is Ana's teacher visiting? If she did already, what did you think of her? I've heard of teachers doing that but don't know any who do so I'd be interesting in what she said.

Karen - way to go on the maintain especially if you were a little OP. GREAT JOB getting on the treadmill again! I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your old computer but I'm sure it will be nice to have the very cool new one. I know it's hard to wait for one - but it's well worth the wait! I just love my laptop. Ooooh, that recipe sounds yummy. I'm going to have to make it next week. I've made the portobello pizzas that are in the first SBD book and they are yummy but this sounds even better - I love goat cheese. Sorry I missed posting until you were "off" for the weekend. I look forward to hearing how you love the Pentium 4.

Kristin - what a great loss to start! Welcome! The gals here have already given you some good suggestions for the weekends - they can be tough! The only other thing I'd add is to save some points so that if you indulge a little, you can just count it and still stay OP. I hope you are feeling OK. As for not eating at the minimum, I agree with Carla that it's OK once in a while - as long as you don't make a habit of it.

I had a good couple of days. I packed some snacks for the trip down to Philly and as I suspected, my cousin had foods around that were easy to adapt to Phase I. I did stray a bit - I joined everyone and had one drink and my mom brought down a bunch of fresh figs (which I love) and over the two days, I had two of them. Still, I didn't have anything else I shouldn't have and so plan on staying on Phase I today. I think I will start Phase II tomorrow - we are going down to AC for two nights and while I can certainly do the food pretty easily, not having even a glass of wine is just now realistic. The key will be to keep it to wine (I figure the cosmopolitans are worse - higher points and the cranberry juice has a bunch of sugar). My sneak peek this morning was the same as last week's weigh in but that might end up to a loss since, get this, after skipping a cycle last time, I ended getting TOM after only 19 days this time - yup, I got it on Wednesday, cramps and all. I did not exercise either Wed or Thurs. I'll do something today - I thought about tennis but it is really, really humid today so I might just do something in the basement - probably something gentle since I'm still crampy.

I don't know if I'll get a chance to get on tomorrow morning since we were talking about leaving early although I'll try. We'll be back Monday, so if I don't get on tomorrow, have a great weekend!
Judy
Closed Thread