Old 07-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275.6/264.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Letting Others Cook...

So, my WW week runs Thursday-Wednesday weighing in Thursday morning. So tonight is my last night of the week. I have used almost all of my weekly points, (If I use them, I try to do it Thurs-Monday so Tuesday and Wednesdays are clean days) We are going to a friend's house for dinner and they JUST told me it's Pasta Carbonara. These people just don't get it -- last week they brought brownies, this week they serve us cheesy bacon pasta. I can't find points on it, but I guess is one cup is about 16 (old) points. I really don't want to use that many points on a meal late in the day (7:30-8 pm) since I have to weigh in in the morning, but I can't ask them to change the menu, and bringing my own food seems incredibly rude. Help!
NightwingFanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I wouldn't bring my own food, as in just enough for me, but I think it would be fine to bring a side dish for all that would complement the meal and serve as a main dish for you. Perhaps a chicken ceasar salad?
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I like that idea of bringing a side dish that's Points friendly (including veggies!)

That way you can have most of your plate be that Points friendly side, and then have a small serving of what they're offering for dinner.

PS - Welcome to 3FC
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #4  

Have to go there straight from work; like I said, I just found out about it. I don't have a car to go pick anything up either. Basically all I have at my desk is "emergency food" (oatmeal, ramen, 100 calorie packs). I am pretty sure our hosts are picking my husband up from work too, so he can't go home and make a side either. I did respond to their menu and ask to see if they are serving any low point sides as well.

(Thanks for the welcome)
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

That's so frustrating! From the sound of your post, it looks like this could be a weekly or so regular dinner with these friends. Aimeebell has a good suggestion and the two that pop into my mind are as follows: you could switch off on hosting dinners to mitigate some of the points impact or you could bank points when you know that you'll be having a dinner with these folks.

Have you tried nicely explaining your situation to these friends? You said that they 'just don't get it', so I'm thinking you've at least mentioned something to them.
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #6  

It's not usually a weekly thing, just happens two weeks in a row. I did try explaining, the points system, and that 16 points is A LOT. (Apparently there is a misconception that you get like 100 points).
Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightwingFanGirl View Post
It's not usually a weekly thing, just happens two weeks in a row. I did try explaining, the points system, and that 16 points is A LOT. (Apparently there is a misconception that you get like 100 points).
There are still options available to you. The few that come to mind are:

1) Don't go. Claim something has come up and you'd love to get together another night, but that tonight is just not good.

2) Go, but only eat 1/2 to a 1/4 of what you might normally eat. Then when you get home, have a salad made up of mostly vegetables to tide you over.

3) Go to hang out and have a nice time, but decline dinner politely. You can even use a little white lie and claim to not be hungry.

Last edited by Lovely; 07-27-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I am in the habit, not matter where we go, I take a gigantic salad with tons of fresh veggies and a bottle of low fat dressing. I fill my plate with that and then just eat a very small amount of the entree (although I am totally off carbs right now) The picnics over the last few weeks have been ideal for this because there has been BBQ meat. No one has even notice that I don't get into the potato & mac salad, chips, wine (well a few have noticed that. lol)
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #9  

News: There will be salad! I can bring some of my emergency light salad dressing from work. I will be avoiding the pasta all together and noshing on salad, and maybe a roll. Thank you all for your suggestions!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

I am so glad to hear there was a solution. So how did it go?
wagfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #11  

I managed to end my day with 2 points left! I weighed in this morning and lost 1.4 lbs this week giving me a 5 week total of 9.6 (so close to 10)!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Happy to hear it worked out =)
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #13  
is on a mission.

S/C/G: 211/200/175

Height: 5'9"

I'm glad that it worked out, and I'm also glad for this thread because I've been in situations like this. My partner's parents eat what they consider to be healthy dinners, and sometimes they are not (example: lots of full fat ricotta cheese is usually involved). When they invite us over for dinner, I always get stressed. These two options that Lovely presented are great to keep in mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
2) Go, but only eat 1/2 to a 1/4 of what you might normally eat. Then when you get home, have a salad made up of mostly vegetables to tide you over.

3) Go to hang out and have a nice time, but decline dinner politely. You can even use a little white lie and claim to not be hungry.
EMGL82 is offline   Reply With Quote