Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 10:36 AM   #16  
kmk

Good morning everyone!

I'm feeling slightly more in control today and its a nice feeling.

Carla- I'm still crying over your loss. It's such a heartache losing a family member-even those with fur and 4 legs. Our home is filled with pets and I wouldn't have it any other way. Last August I had to make that dreaded decision for my 18 year old Siamese ,"Buddy". Oh, the stories I could tell about that little hellion! We buried him in the backyard with the ashes of his best friend which I had saved for nearly 10 years. I guess that makes me sound rather flaky but so be it-I love my pets. Anyway, we "planted" them under a kittywillow with lots of grape hyacinths on top. Now as those pretty purple flowers abound, I can't help but smile and think of all that those 2 gave to me. I hope that soon the pain you and your family are living through is replaced by the good memories. My heart goes out to you.

Judy- It's funny you should mention yoga. The trainer also encouraged me to take yoga classes. Luckily, they have them right there at the Y so that gives me more options.

Yesterday the trainer set up a program for me and showed me how to use all the equipment. I felt some of it this morning but I'm sure I'll REALLY feel itafter I do the full workout this afternoon. That's okay. If this helps reduce the stress, I'll be an exercise devotee...I promise!!!

To all of you dealing with hormones in one way or another...I hear you. I'm dealing with perimenopause and the doctor tells me this can go on for 10 more years. This is no fun but at least we're addressing it, unlike my mom's generation.

Here's to moving forward!!!!!

-Kristin
Old 05-08-2002, 10:51 AM   #17  

Kristin, sounds like you've got the attitude, and that's the biggst part of the battle. Good luck with the exercise, at least it's a good pain!

Angie, WOOHOO for you! You are doing amazingly well. Share!!

Judy, congrats on making it through another day and night! Haveyou tried dill pickles for the salty cravings? Also I just read that they work for chocolate cravings also. I'll have to pick up a jar.

Michele, good for you for talking to DH and making a plan. I can't believe you're almost lifetime! What a wonderful achievement. You deserve more than shoes for that one!

Carla, well it just takes time to get over the death of Trotski, for you, DH and Luigi. Soon you will be able to remember all the good times. Hope weigh in is good to you!

Karen B, I'm with you on the maintains! But don't get discouraged, you WILL see a loss. If you are working the program, you've got to be losing fat. Maybe it's water retention from the hormones, or maybe you're gaiing muscle.

Had a good day yesterday and will be busy today so I'm expecting another good one. Sneak peek was horrible this morning, I think it was from the ice cream on Monday. I have to stop those darn sneak peeks!
Hope everyone has a good Waterlogged Wednesday!
Old 05-08-2002, 11:24 AM   #18  

Kristin - I'm glad to hear you feel more in control today. If you don't mind, I'd like to give you a tip with regards to the weight machines. Take it slowly at first - for the first few times, try to do about 50% of what you think you can - that way you are less likely to be really sore. Many times, people start weight training, do a lot at first and get so sore that they don't go back to it. I'm glad that the trainer also mentioned yoga and that it's available at the Y. Let me know if you take a class.

Karen C - I'm glad to hear you had a good day and are expecting another one. Yup, stop stepping on that scale (I know - it's hard). Yes, I have heard of having pickles for salty cravings and I have eaten them - they are yummy and do satisfy the salty cravings. I thought of having them last night but it was on the late side and I figured I might have trouble sleeping if I ate some pickles right before I went to bed!

I'm off to fill up my water bottle - I think I may start adding some lemon juice 'cause I can tell that I'm retaining water and it's just so darn uncomfortable - I've even been wearing a bra in the evening to help with the soreness (sorry if that's a little too much sharing!)

Judy
Old 05-08-2002, 01:28 PM   #19  
Angie-del

Happy Waterlogged Wednesday!

Carla- I shed a tear for you when I read what poor Luigi did. How sad. Hope each hour finds you a bit more stronger emotionally.

KarenB- maintains can sure break our confidence that we are actually doing the right thing for our bodies. Hang in there. I echo Judy- could the hormones be the culprit?

Judy- good plan for your burger craving..so smart to work it in to your plan rather than denying yourself. It seems like the more we deny ourselves, the more we want it and then we'll binge. Done it way too many times myself. Now I just work it in to my plan (I remember having to bank for a 17 pt peanut buster parfait from the DQ)!).

Kristin- great to hear today is a bit better!! Have a good time with your full workout this afternoon. I always feel sooo much better after I've worked out. Good kind of a high to have!

KarenC- pay no mind to the sneak peek! In my days gone by, when I used to get on the scale every morning, I remember it would go up 1-2# the morning after I had ice cream for an evening treat. Don't know why..but it's a sure thing for me. So, shake it off and move on!

I'm in my week of exercise struggle. I took Tues off this week (I treadmill 6 of 7 days) and then promptly laid back down this morning instead of getting on my treadmill. Tried to visualize how I would be dragging my buns all day and how I'd have the lead leg syndrome tonight, but nothing worked. So, I've got to pay the piper and get moving tonight when I get home from work. Hope you are all having an easier time exercising today than I. Have a great, pt friendly day!
Angie

Old 05-08-2002, 01:44 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone.

Karen B - I know the maintains are starting to frustrate you. Hang in there. Soon your body will realize it's fighting a losing battle and will drop that weight it's so stubbornly holding on to. And, yes, keep in mind that the Clomid could have something to do with holding on to the weight.

Judy - Ana is doing pretty well with it. She has the concept of death down pretty well now. I'm glad that I'm in 7.5 weeks (not that I'm counting or anything) I'm going to be at home every day. It will be a bit more company for Luigi. Ana will be home more too, but I'm not sure Luigi will think that's a good thing. Good job on controling those cravings last night. MMMM hamburgers - every once in awhile I just have to have one. Enjoy your's when you have it. I hope the lemon juice helps your water retention.

Kristen - I don't think you sound flaky at all. Trotski is under a mulberry bush. Glad to hear you're feeling more in control. I'll second Judy - don't push too hard on the weights at first. Man, if perimenopause lasts 10 years for me, I'm going to end up being one b*tchy woman.

Karen - Don't pay any attention to the sneak peek. Hmmm - I'm going to have to try a pickle the next time I have a chocolate craving. If it works, what a great thing!

Weigh-in was about what I expected this morning. I'm up 3.8 from last weigh-in two weeks ok. But, if you recall, I felt that that weigh-in was artificially low because I had been sick. I'm still down a pound from the weigh-in before that, so I'm not all that upset. And I did a lot better than the sneak peeks were telling me, so all in all it wasn't a catestrophic trip to the scale. Now to get those numbers going down again. Speaking of chocolate cravings: I have also recently tried the Skinny Cow fudgecicles. Oh man, are they good. They're huge, and if memory serves me correctly, they're only one point. Even at 2 points they're a bargain! I'm looking forward to a good OP day today. I have a couple of ideas in mind for dinner, which always helps. Hope you all have a great OP day as well.

Carla
269.6/264.6/243 - 1st 10%/140
Old 05-08-2002, 01:47 PM   #21  

Angie - We must have been taking our lunch break at the same time again today. I remember you banking points for the Peanut Buster parfait! That sounds good right about now (the perfect PMS food - salty, sweet, crunchy, smooth). The DQ in my town burned down last year. I think that not having a DQ nearby, especially when I'll be home all day, is a good thing for me.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:20 PM   #22  

Angie - I'm sorry to hear that exercise has been a struggle this week. I'll be sending out encouraging vibes for getting on that treadmill this morning. Just a thought - have you thought of adding some other kind of exercise in addition to the treadmill? I'm just thinking that a little variety might make it easier on those tough days. I know I'd get bored if I did the same thing every day - just a thought ;-) I remember you working in that peanut buster parfait! Can you believe it, I've never been to a DQ - like Carla, I'll say that's a good thing! I just spoke to Tony - he's been home all day long waiting for a plumber who never showed up - I think he's going to be in the mood for a hamburger tonight too!

Carla - Sorry to hear about the scale but I think you are right - throw out the artificially low post-sickness number and call this a one pound loss. I forgot - the picture of the kitten - is that Trotski or Luigi? I'm glad Ana is doing pretty well. I had to laugh at the 7.5 weeks - I'll bet pretty soon you'll be working out the days then the hours, etc. I plan on savoring every last bite of that burger. I asked Tony the size of the burgers at this place (Tony had one there last week and that's what got me craving it) and he didn't think they were more than 4 oz - so that makes a 14 pt dinner (4 oz meat is 8 pts, the roll is 3 pts and the baked potato is 3 pts). Add on one light beer at the farewell thing after work and that's 16 points - no snacking tonight. Hmmmm, I'd better savor every last bite! My supermarket doesn't have the Skinny Cow sundaes but while searching for supermarkets that did, I did see the fudgecicles. The freezer was pretty full though so I didn't get them. I may just have to find some room this week - assuming I remember which supermarket had them! Yup, senior moments - another lovely symptom of perimenopause.

Have a good evening,
Judy
Old 05-09-2002, 08:15 AM   #23  

Good Morning!

Judy-Your burger sounds wonderful! I can't even think about a burger. I have realized "HUGE" eye opener for me that I have not been journaling properly and cheating way too much! I have started journaling again and sticking to points no matter what starting today. Life without a DQ? What would I do? Probably not be in this situation in the first place

Angie-I agree with Judy, try mixing your exercise up a little. I would get bored with just the treadmill. I used to use my elliptical everyday and now I hate that dust collector. Between running, walking the dogs, Jazzercise and the NEW CableFlex I don't really dred the EXERCISE. How great for you on the consecutive losses, keep up the good work.

Carla-your weigh in when sick was not an acurate one but this one was. Yeah! You are down and that is all that matters!! Skinny Cow fudgicles!?! I am still trying to locate the flavored Skinny Cows, now this.........UGH!

Karen-I am with you on those sneak peaks, I think we all think they are evil I know mine was this morning, but actually a good thing, scared me right back on track. I have worked to hard to start slipping back up the scale. We all have!!

Kristin-I am glad you are feeling more in control. Exercise is definatley going to help with stress and weight loss, I know I would not be where I am without it. Start out slowly with the weights, getting too sore will be discouraging.

Karen-I hate when you lose a post. Clomid that is what we are considering depending on oncologist. I hope the mood swings are not too bad, Steve can't handle PMS

Pat-I hope all is well with you

Bobby had a baseball game last night and I worked the concession stand, NOT a good thing. Before I knew it I was munching on popcorn and craving the pizza and it won. Between that and the sneak peak and the fear of not making Lifetime on Monday because of my stupidity I think I have been kicked right back on the wagon.

Have a great day!
Old 05-09-2002, 10:14 AM   #24  

Michele - I'm sorry to hear that the concession stand got to you. I really believe that one slip does not necessarily show up on the scale. The key thing is to tally up the "damage", get right back on the wagon and back OP and that's what you are doing - way to go!

I stuck to my plan last night. I had one light beer and then caught the train home. The walk to the bar (close to Penn Station) turned out to be good 20 minute walk so I got a little exercise in. Tony and I went to the local place for a burger but had to wait 20 minutes to get a seat inside (not near the bar and all the smoke). By the time we sat down to eat we are pretty hungry so I did have a couple of flat breadstick like things (I counted them though). The burger was yummy. I got a baked potato and ate half of it with salsa. I did have about 3 little french fries from Tony's plate (and wrote them in my journal) but we didn't have dessert so all told it wasn't too expensive point wise and it was delicious. It was amazing how greasy my hands felt afterwards - a reminder how infrequently I eat high fat foods nowdays. I've been good about writing down every BL&T and I think it is helping. I hope to see that on that nasty ol' scale on Saturday!

Happy Think Think Thursday everyone!
Judy
Old 05-09-2002, 01:37 PM   #25  

Hi everyone.

Judy - You've never been to a DQ? Unheard of! My best advice to you - don't go. Once you find out what you've been missing....
Good for you for sticking to your plan last night. I'm glad that you enjoyed your burger! The picture isn't of either of my cats, it's just an avatar that I got here at 3FC.

Michele - Popcord and pizza are very hard to resist when you have to stand around smelling them all night I agree with Judy - one bad night at the concession stand isn't going to ruin your weigh-in. Sounds like you're firmly back on track, so you'll do fine. I'll just have to put some Skinny Cow sandwiches and fudgsicles in a cooler full of ice and fly them up to you. Maybe before I go get that tomato sandwich at Judy's house...

Pat - Come back out and play with us.

I had a good day yesterday. Went a couple of points over because I was just plain hungry. It didn't help that I spent some points on Jalapeno potato chips on the train ride home, but I was craving them something fierce (thank you, PMS monster) to the point that I knew not having them would cause me bigger problems. Still was able to have a healthy dinner. And I just had the best lunch from Heartwise Cafe, the restaurant near my office that prepares low fat, high fiber food and, best of all, lists the nutritional info on their menu. I keep the take out menu in my desk with all the points calculated so I can plan ahead of time. Today I had a tuna salad sandwich, sweet potato wedges and coleslaw. Very filling and just the right mixture of carbs and protein to keep me feeling full. And all for 9 points. That's more points than I usually have for lunch, but they pack a big punch, so I don't mind. And the restaurant is about 4.5 blocks from my office, so I got a nice little stroll in too.

Ok, here's an exercise factoid I heard today. You all may already know this, but in case you don't... On our local news this morning they did a segment about a woman who is trying to lose 100 pounds (part of a people setting goals series). They interviewed her trainer and he said that during the first 20 minutes of exercise you burn carbs, from 20-40 minutes you burn a mixture of fat and carbs, and 40 minutes and above you burn all fat. And there you have it, an exercise fact from your friend that doesn't exercise.

Have a great Think Thin Thursday everyone.

Carla
Old 05-09-2002, 03:44 PM   #26  
Angie-del

Helllo everyone.

Carla- sure is a shame we aren't just a bit closer or we'd have a steady lunch partner! I think my tastes are shifting for the better because I remember thinking that the 17 pts I had to bank vs the taste of the treat just didn't equate. Thanks for the exercise fact...I had heard something regarding 20 mins before you got into burning fat.. and that's when I bumped my treadmill time from 20 to 30 mins.

Judy- I do need some variety in my exercise routine but I'm not sure what to do. I got rid of the ex bike and cardioglide when we bought our treadmill. We do have a proform cross trainer which has a stair stepper as a part of it that I've been thinking of doing. I've heard negatives about the stair steppers though regarding knees. Never been to a DQ?!? I second Carla...its better to never step foot in one. Great job sticking to your burger plan...and you satisfied your craving!!

Michele- sounds like your sneak peek and some self-searching is working for you. Great! Sure can't wait to hear you made Lifetime. Has to feel wonderful being almost there. I agree with Judy and Carla that one meal/binge doesn't creat a wt gain... it's the accumulative effect of blt's and more than one grazing event.

Well, I never made it to the treadmill last night. Shame on me. I got up this morning but managed only 22 mins before calling it quits. I absolutely hate the few days before my period begins and the few days after. I struggle so much with the exercise. Ugh. Hope you are all having a wonderful, pt friendly day!
Angie

Old 05-09-2002, 03:48 PM   #27  

Carla and Judy, congrats on planning great OP meals out! I'm glad you're both doing so well while the PMS onster is lurking around. I don't know about that exercise factoid Carla, it is sort of depressing to me, because I never exercise long enough to burn fat! AARRGH!!

Michele, LOL about working the food concession. I'm glad you got it out of your system and are solidly back OP. You'll get that Lifetime award soon!

Angie, you'll get a new charm next week too for losing 25 pounds, right? That keychain must be getting heavy!

Had a good evening and day so far. Went shopping today and found an outfit to wear for Mother's Day brunch. Also had a dr. appt and according to her scale I have lost a total of 64 pounds! Weigh in today I was down 2.5 pounds from last week for a total of 6.5 pounds for my Mother's Day challenge! I'm finally firmly back on track and have broken new ground yeehaw! I'm starting a new challenge today for June 9, when I'll be going on vacation to Maryland for our annual Poodle Club of America Specialty Show. I'd like to lose another 6.5 pounds by then.

Have a great day!
Old 05-10-2002, 09:29 AM   #28  

Carla - Mmmm, that lunch place sounds fabulous - and it's great that you can figure out the points beforehand. I just might have to swing around to Chicago - how about a tomato sandwich appetizer and then lunch at this place? Good for you for walking to the restaurant and for pulling an OP day away from that PMS monster. Interesting exercise factoid - I figure whatever I do is good (although you know I actually like exercising) and I just try to get a variety of things in (cardio, strength, yoga/stretch). I also think it comes down to one thing - how many calories you eat and how many you burn. I think you are right - I'll be better off if I never go into a DQ. As for the tomato sandwich - you are welcome here for a big sloppy tomato sandwich any time. Tony is getting the manure delivered tomorrow and we are planning to prepare the bed on Saturday (a built in strength workout).

Angie - Do you have a VCR in the area where you have the treadmill or somewhere where you can do a tape? I don't know what you might like - dancy kind of cardio or easy to follow cardio but there's a huge variety of tapes out there and investing in some video tapes is a lot less $$ than big pieces of equipment. You know it was on our first forum - the old "official" WW forum that I found videofitness.com and my exercising and fitness has come so far since then. There is just so much out there that it's impossible to get bored. What kind of things do you like? If you go to www.collagevideo.com you can request a catalog - it has *anything* you could possible want as far as videos go.

Karen C - 64 pounds - wow! What did your doctor say? I hope she was thrilled. I'm so glad to hear you are firmly back on track. Your next goal seems doable and I'll bet you do it!

The PMS monster was stomping around the house last night - I ended up snacking way too much but I subtracted it from my activity points and I still have 5.5 activity points in the bank so I don't think it will be too bad. One of the things I snacked on was Smart Pop popcorn and I can feel the water retention today so I will be guzzling water today to flush all the salt out. My knees are a little achy from yesterday's workout so I think I may just walk on the treadmill today or maybe do some yoga. The only challenge this weekend is that we are having my mom and dad over for a bar-b-que on Sunday. It shouldn't be too bad - we'll be grilling some London broil, baking some potatoes and having a bean salad I made last night (I cut down on some of the oil in the dressing and calculated the points). The only thing I haven't figured out yet is dessert but I think I may make a Cooking Light crumb cake which isn't too bad point-wise.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 05-10-2002, 11:08 AM   #29  

HI Judy, Sounds like you did fine with using the banked activity points for PMS snacking. Thanks for the video links, I'm going to check them out. You're BBQ dinner with the folks sounds wonderful. You reminded me of a recipe for 3 bean salad that I haven't made in years. I'm going to dig it out and whip it up when I get back from Texas. Everyone loves it and it has no fat, uses frozen apple juice and I can't remember what all. Actually, the dr didn't mention my weight. Last time I was in there, I pointed it out to her and she was thrilled, but I didn't feel like taking the time yesterday, it was a busy day. I went in so she could check the lumps I found on my leg. She says they're probably cysts and just to keep an eye on them.

I've been busy today getting the house ready for my trip, I hate to leave before cleaning everything. The rest of the day will be spent packing and going to the salon to get my hair done. I'm leaving early tomorrow and will be back early Friday morning, so everyone have a great Mother's Day and stay OP while I'm out of town!

Last edited by Phoinix; 05-10-2002 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:59 AM   #30  

Karen C - have a great trip and a great Mother's Day!
Closed Thread