Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 05:03 PM   #16  

Judy, great about the journaling instead of eating. I haven't started it, and probably won't because I have a fear of someone reading what I write. Silly, isn't it. Anyway, when I get the food thoughts I have been thinking about it instead of writing it down and it's helping. Also, I started keeping a little box of tictacs at heand and grab one if I just have to have something.

Angie, LOL about your shriveled up self! Whatever works. I had thought when you first said you only weighed at meetings that I could never do that, but today when you said how focused it keeps you, a light bulb went off. I'm going to give it a try next week when I'm at Mumsy's house.

Carla, YEA!! for you for banking those points! I sure wish we had a Trader's here, I've heard so many good things about them. Why don't you take photos of Ana and stick them everywhere you keep food? Then when you go to snack, she'll be right there in front of you, hard to block out then!!
Old 03-26-2002, 08:13 PM   #17  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Everyone!

Have been MIA for a couple of days and have just a a quick browse of the board, great to see our little group pumped and energized and focussed! I don't have time to do individual hellos today, so sorry. Gotta say way to go Carla on your big "aha" moment the other day.

Work has been nutso today, I was an hour late getting out, and we're off to the hockey game in a few minutes. Yesterday was a girlfriend's birthday; four of us take each other's birthdays off every year and spend the day doing fun things. Had steamed mussels and several glasses of wine for lunch, very yummy except that I ate too much bread. I was well behaved otherwise.

Off program for the w/e, had a great time away. I'm expecting a maintain this week, and I'll be happy if it holds out for me tomorrow.

I'll catch up properly on all the posts tomorrow and have something profound to add then.

Bye for now...

Karen B
Old 03-27-2002, 12:01 AM   #18  

Karen C - Way to go getting all that exercise in. Boy can I relate to the chronic excuse syndrome.

Michele - Hope you got some good news. Great job getting out with Bobby again. The mall was a sneaky way of getting in the exercise. I had taken Laura and a friend and let them shop while I walked around.

Judy - Good job writing in your journal instead of snacking. How did it go eating a smaller dinner? I've been trying to cut back on my meals and add more planned snacks...6 mini meals a day. I haven't had any trouble with breakfast and lunch, but dinner has been hard.

Angie - Ugh...cleaning. I lucked out today. Laura wanted money to go shopping last night and I told her I would give her some but she would have to clean the house when she is off school Thurs or Fri. We got hit by freezing rain early this morning and school was cancelled (first time all year). She stayed home and cleaned today. No, I haven't been jogging. Actually I've really been struggling lately. Darrell and I have promised to get back to healthy eating and exercising starting Monday. This week we are preparing mentally by trying some new recipes and planning our exercising. (And I'm not using it as an excuse to eat everything in sight this week!!) Would you believe I had Lloyd's tonight...hadn't had it in a long time. Darrell also tried a new recipe with a leftover baked potato. He cut it up, added some seasonings and fried it in Pam.

Carla - Way to go banking points. Hope you were able to get some good snacks for tomorrow.

Karen B - What a great way to spend a birthday...doing fun things with friends. Way to go behaving yourself.

I had a pretty good day today...a little too much snacking late this afternoon, but at least I grabbed healthier foods.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Pat

Last edited by Pepper; 03-27-2002 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:35 AM   #19  
Canadian, eh?

Good morning,

It's just after 5 a.m. here; I've had one of my rare insomniacal nights. Woke at 1:30 and have been up ever since. On the plus side, I did manage to fit in 30 minutes of treadmill to my should be sleeping time, also all the laundry is done. I'm even ready for work an hour early!

Pat - way to go with healthy snacking, and good for you for hoofing it around the mall for some exercise!

Judy - best wishes for Passover. What are you knitting? Hope your shoulder is feeling better asap. I think you're onto something with your journallling - think I'll give it a try again.

Carla - good job banking all those points! You're totally in the right frame of mind for getting your head around your eating issues, and you're right - what better incentive could there be than being there for Ana?

Karen C - congrats on your terrific loss! You're right back in the groove. Love the info you've been sharing too. How is your mom doing?

Angie - what a great idea heading for the bathtub instead of the refridgerator! I may grow scales!

Michele - many congratulations on reaching goal! What a terrrific achievement!! Thinking good thoughts for you re your health news.

Sad to say I had a 3 lb gain this week. Part water, and part straying over the weekend...oh well, as a dear pal always says to me..."suck it up, buttercup." I will be guzzling water today to flush away the excess.

Will check back in later...have a good day!

Karen B
Old 03-27-2002, 08:43 AM   #20  

Angie - I'm sure your house is spanking clean. I had to LOL about your being shriveled the week of PMS! My cousin (the one who is staying with us tomorrow night) swears by her baths. Maybe I need to try that. That's too bad that those 6 years don't count towards retirement. I find it hard to believe that in May I'll be at the same place (well, with the merger it doesn't *feel* like the same place) for 18 years! Of course, they replaced our traditional pension plan with a cash balance account that's laughable for us over 40's. I'm going to make a promise to you Angie that tomorrow morning I WILL NOT STEP ON THE SCALE. I did this morning but after reading what you wrote a couple of days ago and yesterday, I realize that I've strayed into negative territory as far as the scale goes. It used to be encouraging when I saw a sneak peek lost but I think these days I use it as an excuse for indulging a little more than I use it for encouragement. It's going to be hard since I'll be at my mom's tomorrow night for Passover (and I'll be dying to step on the scale Friday morning) but I won't. I hope that can keep me more honest and OP.

Carla - I'm glad to hear that you had a better day Monday - 6 points in the bank is great!! I hope you brought some good snacks with you. Long days at work are stressful and most times the food that's "around" is junk. I like the idea of "no snacking in bed" - I should have used that rule last night! I'd love you to join me in journalling.

Karen C - I think if you think about what your feeling than that's what counts. I thing the journalling is a process that gets you to think about what your feeling so we're really doing the same thing. Good idea on the tic tacs. I have to remember the chocolate tastations (hard candy that are 3 for 1 point).

Karen B - good to hear from you! Sorry to hear about the weekend - hey it happens. Did you manage to stay within points even with the lunch (which didn't sound too bad)? Hey, no profundity needed here - it's good that you stop in!

Pat - Good for you for grabbing healthier foods. I guess things went OK with the smaller meal - I tried to eat it slowly and felt full afterwards - it sill was a lot larger than my usual breakfast and lunch though. I did have an extra snack and maybe I can think of the snacks as a mini meal - the only thing is one of them was definitely emotional eating. I think it's going to take a lot of practice and I'm going to have to slowly reduce the size of dinner over time. Tonight we're having pasta, shrimp & veggies - I'm going to take 1/2 cup less pasta.

Michele - I hope the call was good news!

I had an OK day yesterday - Tony and I had a tiff in the evening and while I didn't snack too much emotionally I did a bit and I didn't pick up my journal (although I thought about it - but that doesn't count!) I guess long held behaviors are hard to break. I did have that smaller dinner though so I ended up my 1/2 day 2 points higher than Monday night which is still a little better than I've been doing. Today is going to be a busy day at work but I've armed myself with some fruit and a "Just 2 Points bar" that I get at my WW meeting. They are tasty (I get the chocolate varieties) and some of them have 25% calcium so they count towards a milk. In any case, I'm off tomorrow and Friday so I'm looking forward to that. I didn't walk to work this morning - I wanted to get in early and the bus is faster than the walk from Penn Station - I plan on exercising for the rest of the week through the weekend though so I may just take today as another rest day.

Have a great Water Logged Wednesday! (that's for you, Angie;-)
Judy
Old 03-27-2002, 08:46 AM   #21  

Good Morning!

You know I never really gave breast cancer much thought until last night. My dr. called, I "failed" the needle test, it showed Atypical cells. So now I go and have lump removed and they test the whole thing. From what I understand it is either precancerous cells or a benign tumor. With my family history the dr. admitted he is a little concerned (which I did not mention to my husband or family yet). So I wanted to get drunk last night, I didn't. I can't change anything and worrying now wont make it any better. I did not ask the dr. what happens next if it is cancerous because I did not want to know. That sound weird to you? Why wonder and worry about stuff that may never come to be. There was some talk about chemotherapy but that was from a nurse on the phone and not the dr. so again not going to sweat it yet.

Wow! You guys have been busy!!

Pat-good luck to you and Darrell, it should be much easier when you are doing it together. Bobby and I took this morning off, starting to get a little sore and it was pouring rain this am, maybe later after work.

Karen-I hope you enjoyed your weekend "Off Program" we all need that once in awhile. How was the hockey game?

Carla-thanks for crossing everything for me, I really appreciate it. Ana sounds wonderful, you are very lucky! It was kind of hard to not show any emotion last night in front of Bobby dont want him to worry/know anything until there is something to know. But he is definatey my anchor/inspiration. Keep those good days coming, soon they will be weeks, then months.........then GOAL!!

Angie-I have not really changed my attitude about losing weight yet, my WW goal was 152, but I want to settle somewhere under 150 for a personal goal. Losing almost 35 pounds though is a great feeling no matter what.

**I think the most important part though is that I might not have found this lump without it. PLEASE all of you check TODAY! In the shower or in bed tonight, Dr. said it is very common for women who are losing weight to discover new things going on in their breasts.

Judy-I think I am going to join you in the journal, I always keep my food journaled, but not my feelings. That might just be the key to helping you/me figure out the triggers and patterns we have.

I will be leaving for Florida on Fri am, so tomorrow will be last post until Wed. depending on when they schedule surgery, should know later today.

Everyone have a great day and if I don't make it back HAPPY EASTER and PASSOVER.

Thanks for being here for me.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:48 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone,

Since I got to work extra early today, I thought I'd sneak in a visit in the morning.

Karen C - I liked your idea of sticking photos of Ana everywhere I snack. I have several in my office, so that covers work, I have one in my purse that I can pull out if I'm tempted in the train station, and at home, well, there the real article is underfoot.

Karen B - Glad to hear you had a good weekend and a fun day celebrating your friend's birthday. What a nice idea to take each other's birthdays off work. Yikes on the insomnia, but at least you made productive use of the time. Sorry to hear about your gain, but I'm guessing its mostly water. You can't have done enough damage over the weekend to gain three pounds. (I could, though, I bet.) At any rate, you'll have it off soon.

Pat - I know that working as a team, you and Darrell can overcome the sturggling you've been experiencing. Good for you for preparing by planning exercise and scouting new recipes. And a huge pat on the back for not using your preparation time as an excuse to eat. I have to remember to pick up some Lloyds. It's always such a good, fast meal.

I'm happy to report a .6 loss this morning. It's a small step, but at least its a step toward my destination and not away from it. I had a good day yesterday, although I did eat at maximum points and several of those points would have been better spent on fruit and milk, rather than the cupcake I ate. Oh well, sometimes cupcakes happen. (Note to self: Don't let John go to the grocery store with Ana any more. That's why cupcakes happen.) We're working on a new record in our house. We've had three home cooked dinners in a row, compliments of Chef John, and tonight's casserole is ready and waiting for us in the refrigerator. We're working really hard to keep this up. Eating out as much as we do is damaging, not only to my weight loss efforts, but to our pocket book as well.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Old 03-27-2002, 08:49 AM   #23  

Karen B - we must have been posting at the same time. Sorry about the gain - that's a lot for a week - I'm sure most of it is water. Hey, are you an every day step on the scale kind of buttercup? If you are, do you want to join me in trying to give it up to see if it keeps you more OP? I'm sorry you had a sleepless night - it's funny, I got to bed earlier the last two nights so I could get 7 hours of sleep but bith mornings I woke up a bit after 5:00 am - I didn't get out of bed but it sort of defeated the purpose of going to bed earlier! Well, I guess getting on the treadmill is one way of making lemonade from the lemons of insomnia! Thanks for the Passover wishes. Tony can't wait to open the boxes of matzohs (I'm never in a rush - after a few days of them, I'm dreaming of bread!) I'm knitting Tony a sweater. After years of making baby sweaters for my grandson and great nieces, I decided that I wanted to make some adult sweaters so I got patterns and wool for a sweater for Tony and one for me. I started them last year in the fall but then found out that knitting was a no-no until my shoulder was better.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:56 AM   #24  

Michele - We were posting at the same times. I'm sorry that the news you got yesterday wasn't as good as you wanted. Hang in there honey. You're so right about not worrying about something that may not happen. ANd no its not weird that you didn't want to ask what happens if it is cancer. Everyone has to handle these things in her own way. I'm keeping you in my prayers. And I'm scheduling my mammogram post haste.

Judy - We were posting at the same time, too, I see. Yep, I'm armed with good food to get me through the day. I made sure I had some protein with my breakfast, especially since I'm eating it so much earlier, I have a couple of pieces of fruit, some tortilla chips that are 2pts for an ounce to go with my veggie chili, and some fat free caramel corn. Should see me through. Glad to hear that your mini meals worked for you. Good for you for keeping your emotional snacking contained. You're making me want to pick up my knitting needles again. It's been several years, though, so I better start with something simple. Have a great seder tomorrow and STAY OFF THE SCALE.

Carla
Old 03-27-2002, 09:01 AM   #25  

Lots of postings at once....

Michele - I'm so sorry to hear about the test. I will be hoping and praying that the biopsy comes back benign. When you say family history, do you have a history of breast cancer in the family? When is the lump being removed? Have you thought of looking into going to that really good hospital in Boston - I can't remember the name but there is a really good hospital in Boston that specializes in cancer cases (which hopefully yours isn't)- it's as good or better than Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. You might want to check into it as the place where you have the lump removed - or keep it in the back of your mind. In the meantime, hang in there - we're here for you. Thanks for the reminder to do a self-exam. That reminds me, it's time for me to make my appt for a mammogram.

Carla - congratulations on the 0.6 loss - it's a step in the right direction! I had to LOL about cupcakes happening!

Last edited by JudySP; 03-27-2002 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:56 AM   #26  

Michele - I just spoke with my cousin and the name of the hospital in Boston is Dana Farber.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:29 AM   #27  

Wow, the board's been busy this morning!

Pat, great idea to prepare mentally for next week, and it's wonderful that Darrell is there helping and cooking. I can't contribute any recipe ideas, because basically I don't cook, only bake!

Karen B, me too with the insomnia. Like you, I have been getting a lot accomplished early. Too bad about the gain, but like everyone says, it must be water. Thaks for asking about Mums, she is doing better every day and slowly getting stronger. I of course am totally stressed about the fluid they found in her pericardium and chest cavity, as well as the nodules. I'm concerned she has a metastasis (sp?) of her lung cancer from last year.

Michele, (((HUGS))). Ithink your attitude is just wonderful. You go off and enjoy yourself in the Keys without a worry!

Judy, way to go with the journaling and controlling the emotional eating. You're right, it's hard to break old habits! Have a great holiday.

Carla, congrats on your loss and especially on the meal planning, it is one of the most important things that helps me stay on program.

Okay, I'm joining the rest of you in once a week weighing, down with sneak peeks! When I stepped on the scale this morning it showed a gain and I immediately got upset. I don't need that, you know? I have this feeling that WW secretly "creates" a large loss for new members. It just seems strange that the two of us who joined last week both had such large losses. Maybe I'm being paranoid!

I cranked up my exercise routine this morning. Garrott brought home some ten pound weights to add to my machine, and WOW did it make it harder! I only did 20 minutes this morning and was sweating profusely. I think I'll do 20 minutes again this afternoon. So I'll be doing less time at a higher intensity, should be helpful.

Have a good day, and happy holidays to all who are off early.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:44 PM   #28  
Angie-del

Goodness sakes, is there alot of catching up to do! Happy Water logged Wednesday!

Pat- great to hear that Darrell and you are tackling the eating healthy and exercising together. Always works so much better for the whole house is on the same page. I struggle a bit with Tony's diabetes..what is good for him (blood sugar wise) is bad for me and vice versa. We've learning (still) the adjusting we need to do...he can have lots of the meat and small amts of rice, potatoes where it's opposite for me.

KarenB- suck it up, buttercup!! Love it. Wow, did you ever put your insomnia to great use! Great job getting in the treadmill. Yesterday morning I didn't get on my treadmill so I needed to do it last night after dinner. My legs felt like lead.... I have so much more energy first thing in the morning. Struggled a bit this morning though because only 8.5 hrs had passed since I had last done my workout.

Judy- YOU STAY OFF THAT SCALE!!!!! I seriously think it helps me to stay focused...you're right on about how we (at least you and I) used a good sneak peek as an excuse to overindulge. NO MORE! Keep working on eating slowly...I think it's also a key to success. Here's something that'll make you laugh. Baker's Square (a restaurant chain here) has a pie of the month. In Feb it is Strawberry Silk and I love it. I got on Dotti's site and figured the points out for a slice and Tony bought me one on the last day of the month. Do you know how long it took me to savor that piece of pie? No lie, here, it took me 25 minutes!!! But I enjoyed every single bite and I had banked the 15 pts per piece needed. I put my fork down after each bite and concentrated on the taste (Tony and the kids all had eaten their pieces of mint silk, had put their dishes in the dishwasher and were doing other things before I was even half done). Heaven Have a great Passover and days away from work. See you next week.

Michele- sorry the news wasn't what you (and all of us too) wanted to hear most. I think not worrying about what may never be is a healthy thing to do right now. Thanks for the reminder- I do self exams and haven't reached the magical age of 40 (when my insurance will start paying for them unless there's family history etc) to have my baseline mammogram done. Try and have a smile or two while on vacation.

Carla- way to go on the loss!! You've made the first step in the downward direction. No stopping you now. Great job John is doing on the meal planning. It'll make journalling so much easier for you. With a meal planned already you can better control what you eat (snack) on during the day becuz you know exactly what you need for dinner. As my leader says: plan, plan, plan. Good note to yourself- had to laugh! I love the oatmeal cream pies and Tony got a box a few wks ago when he went shopping. He was keeping the box out in the garage so I wouldn't be tempted. Well, he left one out for Tiff one night which she didn't eat so it was staring at me from the center island when I got up the next morning. Instead of eating it (which was what I wanted at the moment) I looked up the pts first. It was a whopping 8 pts! No way was I going to blow about a third of my pts for the day within 15 mins of awakening. Choices, choices, choices!

KarenC- glad to see you joining us in no sneak peeks this week! What kind of machine do you exercise on?

Well, had a good day yesterday. Stayed on program and managed to bank 1.5 pts. Question for those who attend mtgs: do you bank your activity pts or do you eat them? I just started the activity pts two wks ago and I have preferred to leave them in the bank. I thought I might be using them initially, because I dropped to a lower pt range at the same time I started activity pts but I haven't needed them yet.

Angie

Old 03-27-2002, 01:11 PM   #29  

It's so great seeing so many posts!

Karen C - I'm glad to hear your mom is feeling better and getting stronger. I'm wishing the best for her. Yay for you for increasing the weights on your machine. You're going to be one buff babe!

Angie - Oh my gosh - 25 minutes to eat that piece of pie. I'd have had it down in about 2. I definitely need to train myself to eat more slowly. Last night I was done with my dinner before John made a dent in his. (Ana doesn't count - she just picks at her dinner.) I'm a fast eater to begin with, but I've noticed that if I'm rushing around trying to get things done between the time I get home and the time we have dinner, I eat dinner that much faster. As for the cupcake, it wasn't worth the points, so its friends that are still hanging around my kitchen shouldn't bother me.

Forgot to post my stats and also to mention that I walked to the train station this morning, carrying my laptop, no less, so I got some activity in.

Carla
269.6/265/243 - 1st 10%/140 goal
Old 03-27-2002, 01:11 PM   #30  

Hi Angie, ouch, those workouts close together hurt! Congrats on banking the points. I use a Healthrider, which similar to a rower in that you push with your feet and pull with your hands, but it has a seat like a bicycle, so I guess it's a hybrid, maybe an upright rower. Anyway, I have been counting it as moderate activity, but with the weights on it I think it's more intense. Re: your ? about banking or eating points, well last week I banked them but like you, this week I'm in a different weight class so I may eat them. My leader said you must add them to the minimum of your range and eat at least that many points. That's not what the week 4 book says, but she said if you don't then you won't lose weight. For example, my range is now 20-25. If I earn 3 exercise points, I must eat minimum 23 points.
Closed Thread