Old 04-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #1  
jeanne

Height: 5'4"

Talking At Home Support Group....4/20 - 4/26

Postive Thoughts Come From Postive People!

Hi everyone! Started the new thread for this week! Hope you all had a great weekend! Can't wait to hear how everyone is doing!
jeanne
jar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #2  
jeanne

Default What Losing 10% means........

Hi! I saw this and thought it was something worth reading! I think mom2 can agree that these are probably true! She is such a success story!

~ I also wanted to tell you that I read WW Meetings have FREE Registration right now!

So many projects in life are better managed by breaking them down into small chunks," says Karen Miller-Kovach, MS, RD, chief scientist at Weight Watchers International. "Weight loss is no different."

But the body you've always wanted isn't all you'll get out of accomplishing that one starter goal. Here's what else you'll gain by losing 10 percent:

A Healthier Heart
By losing just 10 percent of your body weight, you can lower your cholesterol and reduce your blood pressure, says G. Ken Goodrick, PhD, psychologist and associate professor of medicine at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. High cholesterol and elevated blood pressure are two major risk factors for heart disease.

Lower Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
If you're overweight, you're at increased risk for type 2 diabetes, which means your body can't make enough, or properly use, insulin, a hormone that helps convert food to usable energy. By losing just 10 percent of your body weight, you'll improve your body's ability to use the insulin it makes, possibly preventing the onset of the disease, Miller-Kovach says. If you already have type 2 diabetes, shedding that 10 percent may improve your symptoms and possibly prevent complications, she adds.

More Pep
"Just a 10 percent weight loss increases feelings of vigor and vitality," says Miller-Kovach. "You'll feel better and have more energy."

A Mental Edge
Losing 10 percent can give you the self-confidence and motivation you need to keep going. "Success builds on success," says Miller-Kovach. But be sure you recognize it. "Losing 10 percent is a milestone in the journey," says Miller-Kovach. "Once you get there, take the time to congratulate yourself on your efforts."

Reality Check
After losing 10 percent, you gain a sense of what it will take to lose the rest and reach your final goal weight. "It gives you a context in terms of saying, 'Am I willing to put in that much more effort to lose even more weight?'" Miller-Kovach says. If the answer is no, that's okay. "Some people only lose 10 percent and that's it," says Goodrick. If that's you, pat yourself on the back. "Health-wise, a 10-percent weight loss is a great achievement," Goodrick says.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

Awwww, thanks Jeanne! And you're right, that is a great article!

I had my weigh in today and I was down 5 lb this week! I finally got to move my ticker again!

We're doing a Biggest Loser thing at work and I AM GONNA WIN! We start next week and I am all stoked! The winner is going to win money and I think that it will be enough to buy myself a new treadmill. I have an old, barely runs treadmill and I really want a new one. I think that I'm going to start looking when garage sale season starts. I started lifting weights in an attempt to get my arms in shape and I'm sore today. My dad, bless him, pointed out that I needed to do something about my saggy arms and gave me the weights and a lesson on what to do. I'm going to be sore for a week or so I think, but I want arms like Ali's!

Have a great week everyone! I'm sure I'll be back at some point this week to check in!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/163.0/150

Height: 5'9

jeanne- i think i will take the "small chunks" idea.
mom 2-way to go on the 5 lbs and good luck with the BL at work.
jean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184.5/169/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi, I am new to the site. I hope it is OK if I just jump right in!

I am really close (3 pounds to go ) to achieving that 10% weight loss goal and I can tell you that it has made a huge difference in how I feel. I did not realize how badly I felt. Now I want to move and play with my kids instead of it being a chore. I am actually enjoying , well almost , exercise for the first time in my life!
prettyblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 179/173/140

Default Newbie

Hi there,

I am not new to WW but new to this forum. I've lost weight successfully before using WW so I know it works if you follow the plan. After my daughter's birth 4 years ago, my metabolism changed and I'm having a terrible time trying to lose weight. Since I know WW works, I'm starting off with the 10% goal and figure that is what I'll focus on for now. It seems too overwhelming to think of all the weight I really need to lose. It seems to have crept on slowly and I didn't realize how big I had gotten until all the pictures I saw of myself seemed to be "bad". I always blamed the camera angle or lighting. The fact is, I don't look good. Sad but true. I'm motivated to follow the plan and exercise. I'm happy to find a support group going through the same stuff!

Thanks for having me,
Pam
ppturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #7  

Thanks Jean!

Welcome Pam and Prettyblueyes, jump on in, we don't bite!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #8  

Hey I'm doing WW at home! I'm so glad I found a support group to talk with! =]
ohsomeanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #9  
jeanne

Hi Pam!!! Good idea starting off with the 10% goal! Baby steps!

Hi prettyblueyes!!! Good job on that 10%!!! Keep it up, those last 3# to your first 10% will drop in no time!

mom2 - woohoo, you go girl! 5# gone forever and ever!

Here's a little to keep you gals going! Shake those booties, drink that water and eat some veggies just for the heck of it!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 179/173/140

Default Activity Points

I'm confused about how to use activity points. If I earn 2 points in a day, can I eat them, bank them, or what? I can't get a straight answer on the site. Is there a max that can be used in a given day? It just seems that if I'm allowed 24 plus the 35 allowance and additional activity points that I'll not lose. Anyone?

Thanks!

Pam
ppturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #11  
jeanne

ohsomeanjean - Hi! We must have been posting at the same time! I'm sorry I missed you yesterday! Welcome! Jump right in! It's so nice here!

jeanne

Last edited by jar1965; 04-21-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #12  

Sorry Pam, I don't do activity or flex points, so I don't know how to answer your question. I still do the old school POINTS ranges.

It's so nice outside! Hope everyone (at least where it's nice out) is enjoying spring!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #13  

You can eat them! I don't think you can bank them longer for the week. I really don't like to do the activity points, I feel like I'm eating too much.. especially when you also have the extra 35.
ohsomeanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 184.5/169/135

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies! Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Pam--I am "old school" and do the points ranges too. But, I don't use the activity points either.

We DID get outside on Saturday! It was so nice. We played outside for an hour, grilled and then I went for a 2 mile walk/jog.

Sunday, I was at work but DH took the kiddos on a good long walk.

Hope that spring weather continues! I am LOVING it!

~~Cassie
prettyblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/198/150

Height: 5'6"

I need to get my big ole rear in gear. I would love to shed about 40-50# over the course of the next year.

I have been doing WW points off and on for several years. I need a swift kick. i am hoping that by becoming more active on 3FC that will help give me of motivation and boost that I need.
LorettaV is offline   Reply With Quote