WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 04:00 PM   #1  

Question Crystal Light??

Ok..I have a question...My leader says that Crystal Light nor any other drink with artificial sweetner counts as water...but I have read in many posts where some do count it as water. So which is it? Thoughts?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #2  
Eat well, Live well

Urban myth and science disagree on the answers to this one!
Science says: A drink like crystal light is so very low in calories, that it essentially counts as water. Yes...there are a few calories in it, so if you drink say 250 mL (1 cup) of water, then you can only count about 230 mL for your water, which is pretty much all of it. (I know a few members here will disagree with this vigorously, but I am basing this on journal articles from scientific journals that I have come across). This actually includes things like herbal tea (as long as no sugar and cream are added), diet soft drinks, etc.

Part of it is a mental thing. If we become accustomed to sweet drinks, then in the absence of artificially sweetened ones, we will probably reach for regular pop or Kool-Aid instead of water. Drinking plain old water is just a good habit.

Caffeinated drinks is an exception, but don't believe the urban myth that caffeine makes your body excrete more water than you take in with the drink. For example, in an average person for an average coffee, about 1/3 -1/2 of the water will be taken in as water, while the other 1/2 - 2/3 will be excreted due to caffeine action in the kidneys. (I pity the research assistants that had to help with this study!

I personally count my low-cal or 0 cal drinks as water. I have successfully been losing weight and never feel dehydrated. So, I know I'm not exactly doing what WW says, but hey...whatever works. I hate the taste of water in this area, and crystal lite costs less than bottled water here.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #3  

Good info Allie...thanks. I like to split one of the crystal light on the go packets and do half in 20 oz of water and then the other half in another 20 oz of water. It just helps me get in all 100 oz or so. Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:42 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Allie, what a great post.

However to add to it W/W official stance is you can utilize decaff and nonalcohol beverages for 1/2 of your required 6 8-oz glasses.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #5  

The way that I understand the water thing is the same as what Kellie suggested. Noncaffeinated beverages can count as some of your water, but it is good to have plain ol' H2O too.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

I just wanted to add that in nothing in thematerials they provide or their online program does it suggest that sweetened (artificially or otherwise) cannot be counted. So yes they can.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I've always been told by my group leaders that Crystal light and herbal teas can count as part of your water intake. I still drink my 8 glasses on top of my tea though.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #8  
Movin on down the scale

I count the crystal light, teas, coffee (decaf) as my waters, but I also get 8-10 glasses of WATER per day on top of whatever else I drink...
Old 11-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

I'll ditto the last 2 posts. I am the same way...I usually have all my water in before noon (32 oz with my WATP in the morning before work, 32 oz between 10-12) I drink a diet soda or unsweetened tea with lunch, I drink tea or diet soda or Crystal Lite or Sugar Free Koolaide with dinner. I also get another 32 oz usually with my afternoon workout.
Closed Thread