WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 02:15 PM   #1  
Rat Terrier Chick

Thumbs up

I am (angry) woman, HEAR ME ROAR!!! I spent my whole lunch hour driving from store to store, looking for regular WOW potato chips and WOW Ruffles, to go with my ham & cheese sandwich I packed this morning. No one has them. The stores here don't even have a place on the shelf for them anymore. I found WOW sour cream chips and WOW Tostitos at one store, but I didn't want those. The store managers told me WOW chips have been discontinued. I usually don't cause a scene but I yelled and walked out of the first store, leaving my half-filled grocery cart behind without checking out. I was soooo mad! I called the 800# for Frito-Lay and she said WOW pototo chips and ruffles are NOT discontinued, just may no longer be *in distribution* in my area because of poor sales. I assured her that sales are booming here and Frito-Lay really hasn't been able to keep up with the demand. She told me to call my local Frito-Lay distributor....I did that...got an answering machine saying they were out, leave a message, etc. I did that. Now waiting to see if they call me back. BTW, I ate my ham & cheese sandwich, but it was boring without my WOW potato chips.
Old 04-25-2001, 05:00 PM   #2  
Always find the good!

Default I hear ya!

Just wanted to say that I am in LOVE with WOW doritos and at a measley one point!

WOO HOO

Amy T
Old 04-25-2001, 05:33 PM   #3  
Rat Terrier Chick

One point? I've been counting my WOW Tostitos as 2 pts. I better check this out!

Okay, the Frito-Lay guy called me back. He said WOW chips HAVE NOT been discontinued, that the managers at my grocery stores don't know what is going on. He said the managers know they don't have them and assume Frito-Lay discontinued this product. Frito-Lay guy said they halted production of WOW chips while they get their new gourmet line (Bistro potato chips) into distribution. He said they are saturating the grocery store shelves with these chips (and I told him I saw lots of them today) and they are taking up space where the WOW chips were before. He told me Frito-Lay should get WOW potato chips back in distribution in probably around 2-3 weeks, and will call me back when they start stocking the shelves again with WOW chips.

So now I feel silly for getting so mad. Still, it seems like they could have introduced their new (fattening) gourmet chip and at the same time, continued production of the WOW chips so people like me wouldn't panic.

I signed a petition over at Dotti's last week about WOW chips. I didn't know if they started it because someone was told the same thing (that WOW chips were discontinued) or because they can't find them anymore and assumed this. I just hope that petition is sent to Frito-Lay so they know we are out here and we love WOW chips!
Old 04-25-2001, 06:25 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Stores can discontinue an item they deem not to sell well and say it has been discontinued (not necessarily by the manufacture but the store). Maybe this is what your grocery manager meant!?!?!!?

I haven't had a problem getting any of the WOW chips at all.
Old 04-26-2001, 12:42 AM   #5  

Default Wow potato Chips

I know the wow potato chips are great deal for us weight watchers, but the times I have eaten them,upset my stomach. WHAT A BUMMER for a crunchy munchey lover like me. Maybe I ate too many at a sitting. Did anybody e
lse have this problem???I only had my computer for afew
weeks so this is really great sharring ideas and goals with everyone.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:38 AM   #6  
Rat Terrier Chick

I asked the Frito-Lay guy and he said they were not discontinued by any of the stores I went to (HEB, Kroger, Albertsons). But, anything is possible. This Frito-Lay guy may not really know what he is talking about! He may have been repeating what he had been told to say if anyone complained. He said Frito-Lay removed the shelf stickers and replaced them with the gourmet chips stickers and wanted the gourmet chips to stand out, so that is why those chips are taking up about 1/3 of the chip area (believe me, you can't miss them when you walk down the aisle here, it is row after row!). He did tell me that Sam's still has WOW chips, so I'll stock up at lunchtime today. My daughter lives in Corpus Christi and she told me last night that the HEBs there are completely out too. The manager at the store near her apartment told her it is temporary and it's because Frito-Lay is pushing the new chips. So he apparently knew something about this. It just seems like Frito-Lay would have told someone at each store. They should have known people would be looking for the WOW chips.

Patmoody2: These chips have never made me sick. I hear some people can't eat them, but I've never had a problem. I am so glad because I love them! And I've heard they are going to make WOW Fritos. I really can't wait because it's been forever since I had Fritos.

Last edited by Tato; 04-26-2001 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2001, 12:20 PM   #7  
Always find the good!

Default My Bad!

Tato it is 2 pts per serving. That is for something like 16 chips.....If I need a quick pick me up snack I usually have 1/2 a serving. And I savor everyone. After 8 doritos, my craving is usually gone.
Old 04-26-2001, 02:51 PM   #8  
Rat Terrier Chick

Default Uh-oh!

I was confused between WOW Tostitos and WOW Doritos! You're right, you get alot of chips for your points when you eat Doritos. I buy the Tostitos more often (you only get 6 large chips for 2 points), because I can't stop when I start eating Doritos! I caved and bought several bags of them today when I finally found WOW chips. Sam's was already out, and I drove over to a different Albertson's and found all flavors. I bought potato chips for my SIL who can't find them at her store in Houston, chips for my parents, my daughter in Corpus and myself. I can't believe it, but I spend $65 on WOW chips! Those Doritios are calling my name.....
Old 04-27-2001, 11:01 PM   #9  

I know what you guys mean. I tried to find them at Wal-Mart, Albertsons, Furrs, and Raleys. I was so mad because I couldn't find them at any of the stores. Can you imagine going to all these stores just for chips? I did finally find a bag at Smith's grocery. Saved! Are they really going to make fritos low fat too? Hope so
Old 04-29-2001, 02:03 PM   #10  

Rat Terrier Chick...
Ok, this has nothing to do with WOW chips, although I do love them! But I am more interested in your name. Do you own a Rat Terrier, or breed them? Curious, because I just got a new one a few weeks ago, and I am having a lot of trouble finding info on this breed. I haven't posted for a long time, new to lurking once again. I am used to Labs, this tiny little creature is new to me. So I was hoping you may have some insight for me.
Have a great day all...
Kathy
Old 04-30-2001, 12:16 PM   #11  
Back To Lifetime....!!

My Albertsons carries the WOW chips here in AZ. What I really miss is the Skinny Chips that Trader Joe doesn't carry anymore... at least not here

Nona
Old 04-30-2001, 04:43 PM   #12  
Rat Terrier Chick

Default Rat Terriers

Kathy, I have 3 Rat Terriers! I had a Rat Terrier when I was growing up, then when my daughter was 7 we got one for her. Our Little Lady was diagnosed with inoperable cancer when she was 9. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I still cry when I think about losing her. I got another female from a breeder whose husband has just passed away and she was selling most of the dogs. Gidget May was 1 1/2 years old and the lady said her husband has bred her but she wasn't going to have puppies. Wrong! Three weeks after we bought her I knew she was expecting because her tummy was getting too big. I planned to keep whichever puppy was last to sell, but the day they went up for sale all except 2 were gone by 10:00 that morning, Iso I decided to keep the last 2. If I was rich I would have kept all 6 puppies!

I love mine. Tinky and TaterTot (my user name Tato is his nick) both sleep with me. They are around 11-12 lbs and don't take up much room!

Rat Terriers are wonderful house dogs because of their short hair and size. They are quick to house-train and so smart that you can teach them just about anything. And so loving! My daughter is married & in college 6 hours away, so it's just me and the doggies and they are babied and spoiled.

I inherited a Norwich Terrier (Little Ben) from my daughter last year and he is a lot of trouble. Long hair that has to be combed and brushed every week, plus baths much more often than Rat Terriers. He's really cute though, and he thinks he's a Rat Terrier. He watches them and then mimics them. I've never seen anything like it! If Tato gets under a blanket on the sofa, as soon as he jumps down, Ben jumps up and gets under it, peaking out just like Tato did!

All of them have different personalities and so much fun. I wouldn't trade any of them (not even Ben). I love them all!

There used to be quite alot of information on the net, but it seems most of it has disappeared. I've never seen any books on Rat Terriers, but if you find something on smooth-haired Fox Terriers, you might want to read it. They are very similar.

Have fun with your new terrier. I hope you enjoy many years together!
Old 04-30-2001, 06:44 PM   #13  

Tato,
Thank you so much for the info.
I hate to take up room on this board to talk about my dog... But I am just so excited to see someone else has one. I have talked to the breeder a few times, but as I said, no one else seems to know of the breed.
I have always had big dogs, have a Lab who is 5 and he is just in love with this new pup. All who see's him thinks he is a Jack Russel, when I say no, a Rat Terrier, they just look at me. I feel in love with him in the pet store (bad place to buy a dog I know, but after investigating I learned they only sell from local breeders)So after talking to her, we brought him home. He is 10 weeks now, and about 4 pounds. Just a little ball of "Pure energy"!!! But he is coming along fine, learning the housebreaking pretty well. I work full time so he is crated during the day. Come home mid day for an hour to let him out.
He is so smart, and so alert, does things I would NEVER expect from a puppy of that age. He plays so hard with my Lab, sometimes I wonder if it is to rough. But the Lab doesn't seem to mind. Seems to be a "grown up" trapped in a puppy body. The Lab walked into walls and crashed into things for months. Maybe the size is the difference, he was just a clumsy puppy. This one is so different.
My email address is: [email protected], any more info would be appriciated. As I said, I hate to bore others with Rat talk. Ha!
Nice to hear from you...
Have a great day!
Old 05-01-2001, 10:23 AM   #14  

Hi... have a question about these WOW chips. We can't get them here in Canada, but when I venture across the boarder to do a little cross-border snack shopping this weekend, I was thinking of picking some up since they're getting such rave reviews. One thing, though... are these the chips that are made from something called Olestra that's supposed to be not so good for you? I think that's why we can't get them here in Canada, because they have this stuff in them?

Thanks

Christine
Old 05-01-2001, 11:12 AM   #15  

Default Wow chips

Hi Christine,
The Wow potato chips does have olesta in it. It seems to upset my stomach everytime I try them. The taste of them was very good,so I think it is worth a try.
Closed Thread