Is everyone tracking points on Thanksgiving?

• I keep track of my points on the WW calculator, which works great for me. I'm just not sure if I should even bother trying to count points on Thanksgiving. I plan on having a little bit of everything and it would be hard to determine the points for every bite. I'm starting to think that I should just assume I used all my weekly points and immediately go right back on plan for the rest of my week. I just wanted to get the opinions of others on WW's and find out what everyone's plan is.
  • Always, always, ALWAYS track. Even if you have to guess or estimate. You have to treat Thanksgiving like any ol' other day.
  • Do you ever go over your weekly points? I'm afraid if I even try guessing at the points I will just be way over and there's no way I'll do enough exercising to make up for it in the same week. I've only done WW's for a month so this is still all new to me. While I did low carb I rarely allowed myself to go off plan, but when I decided to do it I went all out and enjoyed the one meal without feeling a bit of guilt and then I was immediately back on plan. I'm definitely not going to stay off track. I won't have any leftovers at the house so the temptation won't be there. I'm still not sure what I'll do.

You seem to be doing great on your plan. Have you done WW's the entire time?
  • Yup, I've been a Weight Watchers online member for almost two years now

I honestly can't think of a time when I've gone over my weekly points, but if I did I would have automatically gone into my activity points so I still had a bit of a buffer. But I also know that when you're still very new to the program it's sometimes hard to always stay on track, especially when confronted with a big obstacle like Thanksgiving.

For me, I know that if I say "Oh, but I have 49 weeklies" I'll end up just mindlessly eating and go WAY over. I don't use holidays as excuses to just go off the rails, I work the program in a way that allows me to enjoy the food I want to enjoy while still being within points. That means, going for a run tomorrow morning and using weekly points as necessary but I track everything I eat.
  • Thank you for your advice. You look great! Obviously whatever you're doing is working. It's great to read WW success stories because being so new at this I still question whether it will truly work. Sometimes I start to think I should go back to the low carb because it really did work for me, but I stalled for a long time before switching to WW's and the scale has gone down since I changed my diet, so I will definitely stick with it. It's just nice to know that others have had longterm success with it because that's what I'm looking for. Something I can stick with for life, not just a temporary diet.
  • Hi Mandy, give tracking your best shot tomorrow. Do you have online access at WW? They have a 'cheat sheet' that gives you averages of classic Thanksgiving dishes. Just make the best attempt that you can at tracking, and move on. Even if you go over, log it in and keep going.