Biggest changes from old plan to new plan?

• I did weight watchers 4 years ago and lost 40 lbs...in the last 4 years I've gained 30 lbs back. I've attempted multiple diets but nothing is really working. Back in Jan. of 2011 I tried the new WW PointsPlus online but had zero luck. I think meetings are the golden ticket to WW success (personally).

Anyway, my fiancés family is doing WW now and I've decided to give it another go. Since I lost my original weight doing the old plan and had little success with the PointsPlus online I'm nervous about going down the WW road again.

Are there any helpful tips or changes to be prepared for? For anyone that has done the old and the new program, do you feel the new program is as effective or more effective?

Just looking for a little reassurance I guess...
  • I think the new program is about equally effective in pounds lost, but probably more effective in encouraging you to use your points well. Some items that were previously lower point but not that great for you (like 100 calorie pack snacks) have gone up in points. You also have more points than before, so you can still fit those things in if you really want them. But something about seeing that higher number on them make me really assess if this is how I want to spend those points.

Overall I think the biggest advantage of the new system is just that it is new. For those, like me, who've done the old points system for years, learning the new program forces you to really pay attention the way you did the first time you came to WW. I do a lot less estimating and a lot more looking things up because I don't feel as confident in my ability to estimate points without a calculator anymore. As a result, I probably have a much more acurate tracker.
  • I am in the same boat as you! I am a little nervous to start the weight watchers journey again, because when I started the new system, it didnt seem to be working. However, my sister lost about 40lbs on it. She is looking great. I am wondering how long it will take me to get down to what I was! 30 pounds to go! Good luck to you!
  • I know this is an old-ish thread but I just covered the differences between counting calories, WW, and WWPP on my weight loss blog.
    Basically it's this...

In the WW points system points were determined by calories, fiber and fat.

Considering 13 years of research since the points system was put into place, WW realized they needed to revamp their system. Research shows a lot, so WW made the PP system, which determines points based on carbs, fat, fiber and protein.

Most fruits and vegetables are also now of 0 point values, whereas they all (pretty much) had some sort of point value attached to them.
  • You miss the point - the plan doesn't do the work, you do. If you follow PP+ the way it is written, it works fine. It does teach us more about healthy eating and making good choices than previous plans.