3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   WW Food and Point Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-food-point-issues-23/)
-   -   Fruit Juice (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-food-point-issues/220219-fruit-juice.html)

MrsD2008 12-22-2010 11:54 AM

Fruit Juice

My friend keeps tell me 100% fruit juice with no sugar added is 0 pts+, but I am pretty sure that is wrong. I typed the nutritional info into my calculator and looked up the values on Weight Watchers Mobile and on-line and they all have points values. Is there an article on-line explaining why there are values for fruit juices even though fruit is now free?! I need something from WW in print to back me up! I don't want her drinking 2 or 3 glasses of juice a day thinking it's 0 and she's actually consuming 8-12 points for it!

seagirl 12-22-2010 11:59 AM

It's not free. We talked about this in the meeting. Fruit is free because it contains both water and fiber that fills us up. Juice is missing the fiber and dried fruits are missing the water so they are not free.

MrsD2008 12-22-2010 12:02 PM

I personally know it's not free, but my friend wants something from WW telling her why. I get that you discussed it in a meeting, but is there an article or anything on the site?

seagirl 12-22-2010 12:05 PM

You can tell her I heard it from our leader and she can decide whether she chooses to believe it. Or you can just let her keep doing what she's doing and let her weight loss be her guide.

reji 12-23-2010 09:39 AM

Here's an article in the Washington Post that explains why WW doesn't consider fruit juice zero points. I've copied the pertinent paragraphs, including the name of the person at WW that the reporter was speaking with.
Even Karen Miller-Kovach, the chief scientific officer at Weight Watchers International, says the company's change on fruit didn't come easy, at least not with her at the scientific helm.

"I had to be assured six times over that it was the right thing to do" from a weight-management perspective, she says. What convinced her were clinical trials that showed people were not consuming too many extra calories when they could eat as much fruit as they wanted. (The program does not consider fruit juice, dried fruit or canned fruit to be "free" because of their high sugar content.)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122102487.html

kaplods 12-23-2010 09:52 AM

I'm not currently a WW member, but I read everywhere, so I tend to post everywhere if I think I can help.

It's great that you want to help your friend. Remember though, you can't do anyone else's program for them. When you get wrapped up in helping someone else, it's easy to lose focus on you.

Also, WW is still going to be a customizable plan. When the WW plan as written doesn't seem to be working for a person, WW leaders will still sit down with a client and help them tweak the plan to make it work.

For example, when I was a WW member, I was in a group with a woman who couldn't lose weight on her point alottment. She was older and had low-thyroid that her doctor wasn't willing to medicate. After weeks of working the program (she swears dilligently), her leader had her drop her point level to a lower level. That's still following the program, even though it's not "written" that way. WW has contingency plans to customize the plan to an individual's needs.

For me, if I were to sign up, I know that I could very easily overdo fruit to the point of stalling. I've done it before. I could wait until a leader told me I had to cut back on fruit, or I could use common sense and know this about myself. I would bet (and win) that I couldn't eat unlimited fruit and lose. Heck I've even stalled on an all-fruit diet.

Most people won't gain weight on fruit - but I can and have. That doesn't make free fruit a bad idea from WW's standpoint, but it does mean they'll have to work with people like me, and customize the WW plan to us. You can also bet that someone who does stall on fruit isn't going to be told to quit WW, they're going to be told to stop eating so much fruit.

It could be written in blood, and some people are going to do whatever they want and call it WW. You can't help that, and it's going to drive you crazy if you're trying to monitor her and yourself. Let her learn on her own, if that's what she needs to do.

angeluv 01-01-2011 08:12 PM

fruit juice definitely has points..but if she can't give up fruit juice...tell her try to the diet v8 splash berry blend or tropical blend..i've looked it up on the ww site and it is 0 pts...and they taste awesome..they don't taste diet at all