WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #1  

Default Weight Watchers Program early 1990s

Does anyone remember the program of the early 1990's that had 5 booklets--1 for each week until you reached week 5. You stayed on week 5 until you reached your goal. I lost about 75 pounds on that program. It was the very best for me. Easy to stay on, no hunger and consistent weight loss. I no longer have my booklets and would love to see if anyone has them and would share with me. Thanks.
mkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #2  
Another Tammy

Have you tried ebay?
Ms. Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Sassy View Post
Have you tried ebay?
Yes, I have tried numerous times but to no avail!
mkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

I haven't seen those for years... but I came across some of the recipe books and the big pink book that was first put out. YUK!!! it even had recipies for cooking liver. No peas, onoins etc
Oh I remember we had to eat it at laest once a week.
Never did lol
Don't know what else was there, didn't look deep enough.
They were in a big pile in a 2nd hand shop.
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

I got to goal in 1991 when Weight Watchers used exchanges. You can find out a lot about exchanges because they are often used as part of diabetic plans. So that is not anything particularly unique to WW.

There were also optional calories each week that you could use for things that didn't really fit exchanges such as candy, cake, alcohol, etc.

You also had some floating exchanges that you could use for some categories (I think bread, protein and fruit). you could use the floating exchanges for extra bread or could use it for protein or fruit (I almost always used it for bread). You could not use it for extra fat. Any extra fat had to be counted as part of the optional calories.

I don't have my booklets any more. I did like that program. But now I really like Points Plus (much more than I liked the Points program).
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

We have an exchange plan support thread you might enjoy. We talk about all sorts of exchange plans.

I don't have the WW booklets, but I have several of the pre-1997 cookbooks (because WW was always an exchange plan of one sort or another until 1997).

I'm not bashing WW, but the incremental roll-out has very little to do with weight loss. The 5 step exchange plan, and all of WW incremental roll outs are a marketing strategy. You have to stick around long enough to get the whole plan. In the early days of WW, you got the whole plan, day one - so many people would attend one meeting to get the plan, and then attempt to do it on their own (some successfully, some not).

The "installment plan" gets people to stick around for the whole plan. From a business standpoint, it's pure genius (and you'll notice that the number of installments to get the whole program seems to gets bigger with each new program).

Exchange plans are awesome, but there's no need to acclimate to your plan incrementally, you can just jump into the deep end of the pool and start with the whole plan.

As for the whole plan, there's also no magic in the distribution of the exchanges. You can choose any calorie level and a variety of exchange distributions. The hillbillyhousewife website is awesome because it gives 12 plans - 4 calorie levels (1200, 1400, 1500, and 1800) for 3 different carb levels (high-carb, middle-of-the-road, and high-protein).

I lose best with the high-protein plan, but I also like the "floating exchange" or "flex exchanges" so I chose to use the 1500 calorie high-protein plan as my "minimum" exchanges and then added about 5 to 6 optional exchanges ( fruit, protein, starch, or dairy, interchangeably).

However, I have swapped the high-protein plan for high-carb or middle-of-the-road plans. I lose much better on 1800 calories of high-protein/low-carb exchange plan than on the 1800 high-carb plan, but I still do sometimes make the swap. I'd rather have a back-up plan than no plan at all.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #7  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
From a business standpoint, it's pure genius (and you'll notice that the number of installments to get the whole program seems to gets bigger with each new program).
I'm not sure if the installments increased with each new program before (I do agree that they did sort of dole it out over time with new books each week, although truly the essence of the plan was always in the week 1 book).

However it is certainly not true with the current plan. You receive only 1 set of materials for the new plan and they are all received on week 1. Some people actually don't like it since they liked the idea of getting something new each week. Personally I like getting it all on the first week myself.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, we got everything we needed the first week. Although I do remember the old days of the roll out. Those capitalistic geniuses!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm actually happy to hear that they've gone back to a WYSIWYG system. The first incremental "roll-out" plan that I remember, I think was in the early 80's and I believe it was a three step roll out (if I'm remembering correctly. I've been a member of so many incarnations of WW - since 1974, they start to blend together over time).

I am saddened though that exchange plans have lost favor (not only with WW, but even with the American Diabetes Association and the American Dietetics Association which created the plan in the first place). I think most people find the structure too restrictive. It doesn't have to be, but combination foods are harder to account for easily. Also, requiring a specific minimum number of vegetables and fruit, can be daunting for people who may at the start of the plan not be eating any.

Going from no veggies to even only three servings, can be difficult and even physically uncomfortable (in extreme cases can even cause uncomfortable diarrhea, cramping and gas).

Plans that allow people to wade into healthy eating may have an advantage, especially if all members aren't starting in the same place.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #10  
Fit to be Healthy!

DWLZ has a lot of the old plans all laid out under their "hitchhiker's guide" forum. You could check there for all the details. I have finally gone to throwing out my old old programs, and just sticking with the current.
MrsBonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #11  

Arrow Hi, I have the entire diet from 1992 when it was super start. It has books which have

Hi, I have the diet from 1992 which started with the booklet,
Superstart. It also has booklets for other weeks in which you pick a breakfast lunch dinner and snack for the day.
If you are interested in this diet please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkookoo View Post
Does anyone remember the program of the early 1990's that had 5 booklets--1 for each week until you reached week 5. You stayed on week 5 until you reached your goal. I lost about 75 pounds on that program. It was the very best for me. Easy to stay on, no hunger and consistent weight loss. I no longer have my booklets and would love to see if anyone has them and would share with me. Thanks.
Lisajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #12  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisajn View Post
Hi, I have the diet from 1992 which started with the booklet,
Superstart. It also has booklets for other weeks in which you pick a breakfast lunch dinner and snack for the day.
If you are interested in this diet please let me know.
The weight watchers program you have Is this the one where we used an exchange program I believe it was called. We would eat so many proteins, fats, veg and fruits. We would mark off a box on our ledgers. I reached my goal back in Theo 90's and need to find it again. This is the only plan that ever worked for me and I could hold myself acccountable for what I eat. Just counting the calories is not working. I am 63 and want to get back in shape. I would be willing to pay for a copy of the plan with the list of foods under each catagory if available. I believe it was 6 water, 4 bread, 5 fruit and veg, 5 protein and milk, 2 fats. Please help Wishes2019
Wishes2019 is offline   Reply With Quote