WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 09-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/223/160

Height: 5 ft 1 in

Default Anyone tried protein shakes? Need advice

I have been searching for some protein drinks to help curb my hunger. I watch the biggest loser and they have this protein powder they use that you can mix in water.

I looked at diet direct and saw these BariWise Protein Diet Fruit Drinks that seemed to get some good reviews and they have 15 grams of protein per serving. I really need something between meals to keep me full. I used to drink diet soda cause on WW it's 0 pts, but I cut that out so am trying to find something different.

Thanks!
cheeseheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

I love this question and am looking forward to the responses...sorry, I cannot help much. WW does have a protein shake but it is pretty expensive - but it is only 1 or 2 points!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #3  

I'm a huge fan of protein shakes - I have them for breakfast or lunch most days (not both on the same day though!) or after a tough workout to help with recovery.

There are many options - if you are looking at it as a supplement or snack rather than a meal then get a shake you can mix with water (go to your local health food store and ask them about their options - there are a ton!) Shake it up in a bottle and you're good to go.

If you want to use it as a meal replacement then you can add some fruit, yogurt, juice or milk and make a full breakfast.

One of my favourites:

1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup pina colada or pineapple juice
1/2 cup water

Blend together and enjoy! Total points: 4

If chocolate is your thing:

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup ice
1 banana

total points: 5
getfitchicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #4  

The special K protein shakes are NOT terrible, and taste way bette than the slim fast optimum. they have a decent amount of protein and fiber, and i find i stay full until lunch (or until i need a snack, like a fruit)
Stefanie009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #5  
One day at a time....

S/C/G: 288/234/199

Height: 5'5''

My friend drinks them, she just had a lapband placed. She gets carnation instant breakfast sugar free ( 60cal), skim milk, and that's 14g of protein. Then she adds instant no fat dried milk ( 8g) and no carb protein powder for extra protein. They have a value pack of choc, vanilla and strawberry. IM going to start with just one a day, bc i try to eat 80g of protein and you can only eat so much low fat cheese and meat.
srr728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 6

I tried the biggest loser protein powder drink mix and it was terrible! So terrible that I could not even finish the glass. The protein powder didn't really dissolve completely. You could still see it floating around in the water. The taste was okay, but it had a terrible after taste. I would not recommend it.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #7  
Workin' It

I use the Optimum Nutrition protein powder, either the Gold Standard Vanilla Ice Cream flavor or the Natural Vanilla. Mix it with skim milk and a little light chocolate syrup, or blend it into smoothies. Have also mixed it with OJ, kind of like an Orange Julius that way. DH mixes his with vanilla soy.

Try a Tupperware Shaker Cup (sometimes called a gravy shaker I think?) to mix the protein powder in, or a stick blender if you are somewhere that you can clean it afterward. We just got DH one of the Tupperware cups and he loves it, blends the protein smooth, even in room temperature soy.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #8  
DaniGirl

S/C/G: 243.2/218.9/150

Height: 5'3

I use the atkins Mocha Latte shake, it is really good, and has 2 or 3g of sugar and 15g of protein, I think the calorie count is 150. It tastes good to me. THe other one I like is the Slim Fast Low Carb, it is hard to find, but it is 180 calories, 2g of sugar, and 20g of protein. It also tastes delicious, way better than the regular slimfast.
dnm801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 216/216/150

Height: 5'6"

I just ordered one to try, I think it's Walker. Chocolate flavor.
stamperlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 187/182/130

Height: 5'

I second the carnation instant breakfast. I mix it with milk and It usually keeps me full until lunch.
calboydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #11  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I have tried a few and I didn't like any of them. Plus, I am cheap. So what I do is have 8 oz of skim milk, and add 1/3 cup non fat milk powder. This is about 160 cal, no fat, and 16g of protein. It just tastes like milk, so you can add whatever you like: chocolate, vanilla, etc.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #12  

Default whey protein powder

I have used the whey protein powders. No specific brand - I get whatever is cheapest. They are typically with the diet foods or you can also get them in stores like GNC, for weight-training. I have found that they are better when mixed in a blender vs. solely stirred or shaken. I agree that protein at each meal helps ALOT to keep you full & satisfied, but I do struggle with having some at each meal.

Most recently I have done 1 scoop of protein powder with 1 C of Light Silk [soy milk, for extra protein as well].
206bones is offline   Reply With Quote