WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'6

Default Need some ideas with to many points.

Because I am so heavy to start I am allowed 45 points a day. With the new program focusing on "filling foods" I am not hungry at all through the day and find myself needing almost 20 points at the end of the night. I make sure to get my oils. So that way I know its 4 points used up. I am not using much low fat or FF things either. I did try buying some walnuts to use as a high point snack so that was I was still eating healthy. But even those are only 5 points a serving. I do not want to eat "junk" just so I can get my points in. I am averaging a 4lb a week weight loss right now but wonder if I could do better if I was using all my points.
erinkman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 298.6/298.6/175

Height: 5'9''

I really love hummus with veggies and pita bread but it is too many points for me usually. I would consider this a healthy nutritious snack though. Other things I love and had to cut back on are cheese, bagels with cream cheese, and wine. Why not indulge in some similar items. I've heard some studies have shown that a glass of wine a day is supposed to be good for.
nlm1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Just a quick note: Unless you've spoken to your leader about this or a doctor... the rule of a daily points target is that if your number comes out OVER 44 points then your daily points target is 44. So your points should be 44, not 45.

Also, walnuts as a snack is good. So is avocado, olives, healthy oils, peanut butter, full fat dairy items. All healthy things, not junk. Eat those to take up the extra points you have leftover.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

To help use up all of your daily points you might want to try planning ahead. Look back at your pattern in past trackers & see what you else you can add. Just try to make sure they are healthy additions
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone. I did mean 44 not 45.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Hey Erin! I feel ya, I've got 41 pts.

I use mine up by using all the full-fat versions of eveythings, dressing, cheese etc. I have also been adding the higher points things to my breakfast & making my meals lighter throughout the day. You'd be surprised how many points you can use up by having a balanced breakfast.

Here's an example of a points heavy breakfast that I had last weekend:

scrambled eggs 5 pts
shredded cheese 2 pts
2 oz ham 2 pts.
1 t canola oil 1 pt
potatoes 3 pts
english muffin 2 pts
1T butter 2 pts

17 pts! Made an omelete, hashbrowns & an english muffin.

I was full for most of the day, but used a ton of points.
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #7  

Thank you Jill, I will try that. I never used to be a breakfast eater until I joined WW and seen how important it was. I will try to start making that meal by "big" meal. That might help be get balanced through the day.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #8  

You are welcome. You are doing wonderfully by the way. So close to your 10%.
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #9  

Location: Ft Campbell KY/Clarksville TN - studying in Vancouver BC

S/C/G: 220/113/100

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
I use mine up by using all the full-fat versions of eveythings, dressing, cheese etc.
That's not a really healthy way to go about it though because most of those fats are bad fats. If you want to use fats to take up your points, then they need to be GOOD fats - olive oil, avocdaos, unsalted nuts, hummus.

Another problem is that as you lose weight and points, you will start to feel deprived from having to make the sudden switch. On top of all that, your body fat percentage will stay high.

Quote:
I will try to start making that meal by "big" meal. That might help be get balanced through the day.
Try 4-6 small meals throughout the day with light snacking (healthy stuff of course!). Big meals can lead to crashes which often result in binging on the nearest food. You want to eat small meals more frequently to keep your metabolism up and cravings down.

Also, if you feel you have too many points, then maybe make it your goal not to eat your weekly flex points or AP. When I was larger I'd eat my AP but not my flex. Seemed to work okay for me, YMMV
Tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

Use some different foods if you are truly satisfied with the quantity.

2% or whole milk vs 1% or skim

real salad dressing (there are many out there made with healthy oils or have no transfats) vs light or fat free

real mayo vs light or fat free

good regular bread vs low calorie bread

add a handful of nuts, or some avocado, or even some PB for a snack

But with the 9 good healthy guidelines of dairy and healthy oils that eats up 9-11 of your points right there. And you could always add another dairy.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone again. There were some great ideas I will definitely be using. I do have a bad ice cream habit! So for my "yummy snack" I have been adding walnuts to my WW ice cream that gives me those extra points. Also bought some flax seed to try adding to my brown rice. I also bought a different olive oil that was a little higher. I have been able to get all my points in the last 3 days now. Hopefully that will help me stay on track. I have a LONG way to go. It has been 11 weeks so far and I have never used any of my flex points. You all are great and I thank you all for such the wonderful support
Old 01-22-2009, 01:29 AM   #12  

Location: Ft Campbell KY/Clarksville TN - studying in Vancouver BC

S/C/G: 220/113/100

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_S View Post
2% or whole milk vs 1% or skim
All milk is very close in points though. It's just about how much unnecessary fat (that isn't even really a good fat) you want to consume.

Quote:
I have been adding walnuts to my WW ice cream that gives me those extra points. Also bought some flax seed to try adding to my brown rice. I also bought a different olive oil that was a little higher.
These sound wonderful. A few more things you could do is add cashew or almond butter to your diet, you get some healthy fat and points and both of them are delicious on wheat bread. And they're much better than processed peanut butter like Jif or Skippy (even the "reduced/light" kinds). Rice cakes with a non-fat cream cheese spread (savoury of sweet) is one of my favourite snacks. Laughing Cow's LIGHT cheese and crispbreads (such as Wasa). The 60 calorie Quaker sweet rice cakes are nice too.
Tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #13  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristesse View Post
All milk is very close in points though. It's just about how much unnecessary fat (that isn't even really a good fat) you want to consume.
I have almost completed my nutritional degree and while skim or 1% is preferred by nutritionists, RDs, etc. The 2% or whole is perfectly fine when a person is following a healthy eating plan or a balanced weight loss plan like W/W. Most of times it is not recommended due to the high calorie and high fat diets most adults have.

Some some info I thought I'd share from my lastest class.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 245/228/145 (low of 221.8 '09)

Butter!!!!

It's actually pretty nutritious - so throw a tablespoon on each meal. That's 9 points!
FatGirlTale is offline   Reply With Quote