3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   WW Clubs and Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups-106/)
-   -   #167 Bale of Turtles looking at success! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups/93641-167-bale-turtles-looking-success.html)

Itryharder 09-12-2006 10:55 AM

#167 Bale of Turtles looking at success!

:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtle Group here at 3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

Itryharder 09-12-2006 11:00 AM

Princess, glad you liked Pilates so much. Seems like a good fit for you right now. And congratulations again on getting well into onederland.

Chris, you are really busy. I hope your schoolwork is rewarding and gets you going to the goal you're after. Congrats on doing the right thing for yourself and your family.

Bandit, good luck with your social activities and your determination to get this weight off.

Ariana, always good to hear from you and I love how you adapted Wendie's to fit your schedule and keep on track!

Mousie, how are you and dh doing? Miss you and hope you chime in soon.

I've had a good week and stayed off the scale until this morning. Hmmm. Scale is not showing anything lost so when I WI tomorrow officially I'll see how I did. Am not borrowing trouble, but if I had a good week and didn't go over points on Core, I may have to rethink what I'm doing and head back to Flex until I get a losing pattern established again. Wish me well on my WI.

Take care, do well, keep the main goal in your target area and keep on keepin' on!
Love,
Judy :cool:

Princess1122 09-12-2006 11:34 AM

Judy: I admire you for being able to do Core... I could not do that plan since the key to it is stopping when you are "satisfied"... not sure I know what that is :p so you are way ahead of me... I stick with Flex but peak at Core every now and then... I just know myself too well to even try it.

Susan

Ariana2000 09-12-2006 04:29 PM

Princess: Interesting. My Mom is doing pilates too. She says it is hard, but she likes it. I don't get to go to many gym classes because of my work schedule -- I get to the gym at 3:15, start working out at 3:30...no classes then. If I wait until later, I'm out too late for when I come in to work, and it's hard to get on the weights... Re Enough .2's Make a Pound: Exactly!

Chris: I don't know what SAS stands for...it's a cash-only, garage-sale type fabric shop -- everything is in large cardboard boxes, and you have to dig, but all of the fabric is typically 40-50% off the prices at, say, JoAnn's (which you can get with a coupon, so it just depends on what you need...) SAS is good for scrap quilting, where you don't have a specific color requirement. Chris -- are you going to UOP? Re Your Sister: I wouldn't want to look either, I'm quite squeamish, but I guess you do what you must, right? Sorry you're feeling unwell...

Judy -- thank you. It's great to hear that. I was quite proud of myself, adapting the Wendie plan to fit my planned IHOP expedition. <G> It's tough when you feel like you've been adhering to the plan but not seeing any movement on the scale. Have you been exercising this week? I can't remember. I would have trouble with Core. I guess I need the structure. Plus, Core is so limited on food content...how do you do it? Then again, some people say that one of the reasons we eat more is because of variety in our food, which may be true...

As a random thought, I am a big believer in using small plates for every day meals...two pieces of veggie pizza looks much bigger on a small plate than a big one... :D For the first time in my life, this year, if I were to put it all on a big plate (I eat out of pre-measured containers to save dishes), my plate would be 1/3 to 1/2 carbs and protein, and 1/3 veggies and 1/3 fruit. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? I'm feeling self-congratulatory today. :D

As for me, not much is new...I'm tired because I stayed up late last night reading a new fanfic story that my friend just started publishing yesterday. Work is very stressful, but I'm done in 2.5 hours. I have a doctor's appointment which I am more stressed out about...I will let you guys know how that goes.

Take care guys!

Itryharder 09-12-2006 07:29 PM

Dear Turtles,
Glad you all found the new thread. Food for thought: I was listening to Dr. Joy Brown on the radio and a caller said something like this--I'm great at starting WW's. I weigh, measure, exercise, and get great results and then Pow out of nowhere, I lose sight of what I want to do, gain 10 pounds and start all over again.
Response: (Tell me what you think of this because it rings true for me) Dr. Joy said you're bored! You're great at starting, but when it loses its thrill, you abandon the program. To stop doing that she suggested changing over to OA to get another new start, to hire a personal trainer, to take up a new hobby, to join a different gym, etc. The thought here was that you can do it, then you get bored. So------move on to something that is not boring and keep the weight loss continuing.

Since I always feel that I sabotage myself and blame myself and haven't for the life of me been able to figure out why, I love this kinder approach to the problem. I certainly know that I get bored and that I flit from one project to another loving the start of most things and getting bored once again as I get into it. What do you all think? :idea:

Another good day. I'm hoping tomorrow is a good WI. If it's not, I'll reassess as I mentioned before.
Love,
Judy

Itryharder 09-13-2006 02:38 PM

HI Turtles,
My WI was great and I shouldn't have worried. My scale must stay in the closet. No kidding--I actually stored my scale in the closet.
Anyway, I lost the .6 I gained last week and an additional 1.4# for a total of 2# lost. :bravo: for me! I'm so glad because this week I have been making good food choices through some tough challenges and I'm happy.
Take care,
Judy

Princess1122 09-13-2006 03:34 PM

Judy: Great job! I am so very happy for you!!! :flame: You are burning it up now :D

Susan

Princess1122 09-14-2006 09:07 AM

Morning all... Boy I am sure ready for the weekend this week... just stress in my life getting the better of me but a weekend would help.

DS and I do the bike tour this weekend... very excited and a bit nervous since I have not been out bike riding for a while now... We are supposed to have really nice weather though :D

Have a happy day all!
Susan

bandit2 09-14-2006 10:48 AM

Ok - the last few times I have posted I get kicked out, this has never happend before & after typing a long post it is very frustrating. So, I will try & do it again.

Judy - congrats on your loss & nice to have your hard work pay off. Keep up the great job!

Princess - good luck with your biking - lots of fun & exercise.

Been busy up here this week. My previous WW buddies rejoined Mon night so that will be good to get together with them every week, but I am keeping Fri as my official w/i day since I get discouraged if I show gain on Mondays.

Tues, went to nutrition seminar & that was very informative. My friend was surprised I wasn't taking any vitamins so, now I am taking one that is good for lots of stuff.

Wed, went to curves & have been staying OP all week with my food, so hopefully will show some kind of loss tomorrow.

Anyway, keep up the good work, everyone & talk soon.

Ariana2000 09-14-2006 03:42 PM

Judy:

These are just my thoughts, me on my soapbox, things I've learned...take what you want, toss the rest, and accept the hug that's coming your way...
:hug:

Now, I think there are several potential reasons for why people are more enthusiastic and focused in the beginning, and then taper off in their enthusiasm. It may be that the newness is exciting, but I'm not sure if changing from plan to plan is necessarily THE answer, although it may be AN answer. I also think it's important to realize that we need to do what works for us and our individual lifestyles -- maybe you have trouble sticking with WW because a strict plan doesn't fit your lifestyle. Maybe it's tedious, or frustrating, whatever the case may be -- you CAN modify it after all, remember that. Or maybe you didn't do it long enough for it to become a habit -- most things take about a month of consistent action to become habit -- or maybe it was too inflexible -- did you feel like you had an "out" if you were ravenous and had no points left? Or maybe, deep down, you were convinced that failure was inevitable, as you'd tried before and it hadn't worked out.

First of all, failure is only inevitable if you give up. If you persist, evaluate, and adapt, SUCCESS is inevitable. It's only a matter of time. I can tell you there were several times I had grown very frustrated, and felt like I wasn't going to lose any more weight, or that I might gain it back. But when that happened, I first went to my mother and best friend for support (and you guys, once I met you), and then I reevaluated and looked for things I could do differently. A new trainer, a new gym -- that just may work for you! And it's still working. I've gone from a size 22 to a size 14, almost a 12 now. It took me a while, and plenty of reevaluating and changing of my strategy, but it's working. Of course, what worked for me may not work for you, and that's what's most important to discover -- what works for you. And you may need to try several programs, and take your favorite thing from each (and teach us a trick or two, why not?) :D I've thought sometimes about doing LA Weight Loss, just as a change, myself. If I get stuck closer to my goal, I just may. :D

Second of all, evaluate what part does and doesn't work for you, and if it doesn't work for you, abandon it. You don't have to do exactly what they say if it doesn't work for you! If you count points and include exercise points and don't get anywhere, trying not counting exercise points. If you find yourself eating. If point counting is too tedious, do core. You get the idea.

Also, don't beat yourself up if you slip. If you're anything like me, guilt over a food slip feeds anxiety, which feeds anxiety eating...repeat cycle. If you slip, focus on adjusting a little for the rest of the week if possible, picking yourself up, dusting yourself off and continuing. The only real failure is in giving up.

I think it's important to have an "out", a food you can eat if you get really hungry -- so that you don't feel trapped -- telling myself I cannot eat anything else only made me want food MORE. But if I told myself I could have a piece of fruit or popcorn, free, if I was desperately hungry, helped, because, if I could turn that down, I knew I wasn't as hungry as I thought, and if I needed it, then well, I didn't beat myself up about it.

Lastly, it's important to evaluate if their was an emotional reason things didn't work out before -- i.e. was food your stress relief? If so, and you didn't replace it with another former of stress relief, it must have been that much harder to succeed. I think that changing our psychological responses to and around food are just as important as our actual food consumption and exercise habits. Food is just not for nutrition, or Americans as a whole wouldn't have an obesity problem.

I've done this before...these super long posts...does anyone find my thoughts helpful here? I hope so. :o If you don't like it, please feel free to disregard. It's all meant to help, and it's all meant with great affection. :hug:

NOW, regarding your second post -- it looks like you're finding your way and on track -- CONGRATS on the 2 pounds! That is fantastic! :carrot:

Ariana2000 09-14-2006 03:52 PM

Thought I'd start a new post, ladies, after my "rant"/thoughts on WL...

Princess: Sorry you are having a rough week. At least it's almost Friday! A bike tour sounds like fun, especially if the weather's nice. It's finally getting cooler here (it's 89 degrees right now outside. That's our idea of "cooler.")

Bandit -- sorry about your forum troubles. How weird. I never get kicked off, but then I have a cable connection at work -- maybe that's why? Anyway, I'm glad your WW buddies rejoined. Support, both local and here in the Turtles group, is so important! I would never do WI on Monday, too close to the weekend. :o

Take a vitamin is good. I've also heard that calcium helps weight loss too, so maybe a calcium supplement? I take the calcium chews. Glad you are on track with WO and points.

As for me, ladies, I am relieved to report that my doctor's appointment went well yesterday...I hadn't mentioned this before -- it's somewhat scary -- but I found a mass in my left breast. The doctor think it's a cyst or a fibroid, not cancer, which is good, but I am getting a breast ultrasound just in case. I am relieved to hear she thinks it is nothing serious. I was worried, but doing my best not to think about it, which is why I didn't mention it before.

On the more cheerful side, I lost a pound this week, which means I have broken through the 160's, and I'm now in the 150's, at 159.8. (I was 160.8 last week.) It looks as though eating more protein has definitely helped -- I actually just added 2 extra points of protein a day -- so it's also possible that I was underestimating the effect of my workout, and not getting enough points in a day. I don't feel that bone deep craving anymore, so it looks like that's a sign in me of protein deficiency, not weight loss. I'm glad I talked to you guys about it, and that my mom suggested it. :D

Anybody have any big plans for this weekend? I'm going to a Rollerderby championship Saturday night, that should be fun, and I may go hang out at a coffee house and read Friday night, a friend of mine just finished a long fanfic story that I'm looking forward to reading...

Princess1122 09-15-2006 09:36 AM

Happy Friday

Morning all!

I just got done ordering this really cute lunch bag from Lean Cuisine... it is a too cute insulated lunch bag that is in kind of pink colors and it is only 9.99 and 5.00 of that goes to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation... If anyone is interested you can go to Lean Cuisines web site and it is all right there. Good cause and too cute new lunch bag :dancer:

Well I am very excited and a bit nervous about the bike tour tomorrow... not sure what is making my knee so sore but it is hurting and has been for a few days now... I really think that when I walk on the treadmill I am walking too hard if that makes sense... I try and hurry it along and that may not be a good thing for me old knee's. But tomorrow is the 16th and the bike tour is finally here :bike2: . I will be happy as long as I make it to the end, don't get lost on the tour (how embarassing) and don't take another header off of my bike :D

Ariana: I would just love to see your part of the country some day. DH is not a heat lover so we would need to plan accordingly but I would love to see the southwest... Best wishes for a wonderful weekend for you it sounds like you are going to do lots of fun stuff. So glad the protein worked for you!

Bandit: you are doing so great! Curves and eating on plan will bring you great results!

Judy: How are you doing? Any big plans for the weekend?

Chris: How is life treating you? Better I hope!

Has anyone heard from Mousie?

Have to run but will check back later on!
Susan

Itryharder 09-15-2006 09:51 PM

Hi TUrtles,
Ariana, love to hear your insights into weight loss. You're doing great. ]I'm sending good luck to you with your ultrasound and am relieved to hear that your doc thinks it will be fine.
Good luck on your activity this weekend. Sounds like a blast.

Princess, good luck on your bike ride. We're expecting rain here, so hope you have nice clear weather.

Bandit, weigh to go with getting back to Curves, etc. You're doing great.

Chris, hope schoolwork and sil are going well and that you're taking care of yourself.

This weekend will be busy for me and I hadn't been expecting it to be. Went to check out a boutique for my daughter's wedding gown to find out that the place which was great and had been in business for 40 years closed up shop.
So now we're checking out other places. In the meantime my younger daughter and her baby came out and we had a nice time. Tomorrow our new neighbors are having the immediate neighbors in to introduce themselves which I think is very nice. They are supposedly having a BBQ, but it is supposed to rain all weekend. In the meantime we're heading to a restaurant on Sunday with other friends. I am determined to have a salad and enjoy it.
It's only food, right? I did this at my book club meeting and got through with it. When I got home I was still starving, but I was able to eat Core foods until I was satisfied. Soooo, long answer to what I'm doing this weekend.,

Take it easy, be well and happy and stick to good foods and good exercise.
Love,
Judy :cool:

chrily 09-16-2006 09:48 PM

I am soooo lost! :o I was wondering why no one was posting and I didn't realize you had changed threads.

ANyhow, things are okay here. My back is killing me. I got my new treadmill. And Robin gets to come home in the next two weeks. Lots going on. Too much homework, and not enough time for me. THe girls have to sell cookie dough to make money for their dance costumes...TO get the cost of the costumes down to a manageable figure, we need to sell 135 things. We have sold 7 so far.

Yikes! You'd think things would slow down a bit but NOT! I haven't had a chance to read through all your posts yet. But just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten anyone. My braincells don't work so well sometimes...LOL

Gotta go. The kiddos want to go get some movies. Check back later.

chris

Princess1122 09-18-2006 08:59 AM

Happy Monday!

Morning all!

Well DS and I did the bike tour Saturday morning and it was great... we did the 10 miles in about an hour and at the end we were wishing that we had signed up for the 20 mile tour but there is always next year and the best part is that we had a great time!

Ariana: My thoughts and prayers are with you... I had to take a day or two to reply to your news or I would have just cried the whole time that I typed this reply... I went thru a scare last year and it was rough but I was blessed and it was only a scare. Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

Judy: What area of the country to you live in? It seems like we get your weather but a day or two later cause it is raining today... started last night and it supposed to go all day... the temp's are supposed to get in the 40's tonight.

Have to run but will come back and finish later on.