Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #84

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • The other thread was getting long so I decided to start a new one.

So glad to Slavika back. But wow what a storm you went through. glad you are OK. I think it might be time to join Trudy's wellness club? maybe?

Glenda I hate to say this but I really think your sister is right. We could all just say the heck with it and just let our weight and health go to the dogs(sorry Sprout). But just how happy would we be with our selves. Be honest now! Think about the last time you went to buy clothes. Just how happy were you with the way the pants or shorts or the dreaded swimsuit fit. So we just have to hang in there. We can if we think we can , then agan we can't if we think we can't. So think we can! To many cans in that one.

That being said I weighed in at goal last night! (Hope I don't hurt my other knee now)

I do have a doctors appointment this afernoon something about my labs wasn't good. My guess is the Meds I take for the migraines is messing with my system. But then it could be my Iron count . I'm hoping for that because it's been great not having so many migraines. Don' want to go back into that black hole again.

Maria I hope you continue to get well. You american tour is coming fast now.

Ann hope the eye is good.

Peggy stay cool you too Gloria .

How's it going Pam and BlueIris
  • Karen, I sure hope your migraine medicine isn't the culprit. I used to have bad muscular headaches that I thought were the end of my world. I do agree with the thing about our age and medicine, etc. We could so easily give up, but what a path that would be! In September I am going to join a fitness club and pay for a personal trainer for awhile just to get my program going and me. I have put this off long enough.

So glad I am not traveling for awhile. Maria, you will be prepared for all the international flying restrictions when you really get into your trip, but oh my! No liquids of any kind. It is just such an unfriendly world, isn't it? I am so glad they uncovered that plot in England before it had time to come to fruition.

All, I am amazed at how alike we all are from the little questionnaire. I don't think there was anyone who had been in a fist fight? or stolen a car? And Maria, I understand your not playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians. But the rest of us did, I think.

This is the 12th day in a row of temperatures over 100. And that string was broken up by one weekend with 89 degrees. Before that it was over 2 weeks straight. I never remember a summer like this. All, stay cool.
    Glenda
  • The next time I come here and open my big mouth some one tell me to shut the heck up!.

Here we are doing all we can to be healthy watch our diet, exercise, Don't drink or smoke sleep 7-8 hours most nights. Lead a healthy lifestyle. And our body turns on us!. What the doctor wanted to see me about was my sugar is beginning to creep up! I'm so mad I could spit tacks. Just when I thought it was safe to have a cookie it was snatched from my fingers before it hit my lips. I've been swearing all day. My poor DH has been laying low and patting my hand saying don't worry honey it will be OK. I know that but it still makes me mad as a hatter. I'd better leave before I say something that gets banned.
    Later
    Karen
  • Karen, what does this mean? We all understand your frustration. I don't think we ever really get a handle on what we are supposed to do. It is just a moving target. Husbands sometimes have impossible tasks.
  • Doctor said my sugar has been on the rise the last three times I've had blood drawn. And because I am at risk for diabetes I need to stay on top of it. I have calmed down. And am no longer on the war path. DH took my fasting blood sugar this morning and it was 88 so we think that 103 the other day was some thing I must have eaten the day before. And then it was not a fasting blood test either. I go back in November for more labs. and will find out what the A1C number is, that tells me whether or not I am diabetic or not. I think anyway. At 6.5 DH was called borderline. At 7 he went on medication .He is not there anymore he is at 6. His doctor is thinking about cutting his medication in half. 103 is by no means really high it's just that with my family history I do need to watch it. I was so angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And i like to eat cookies.

Today is a better day.

Karen
  • Karen: There are some sugar-free cookies that aren't too bad, but I know it is not the same. It is the pits to have family history of diabetes. That is why I've watched what I eat forever.

Glenda: Good for you going for personal training. I have to settle for Curves, but that is a pretty good work-out. I'd like to go more than 3 times a week, but with the cost for gasoline, I don't make those extra trips.

Went to WW today and I think I might be on the downturn once again. -.8 is not a lot but at least it is down. Why is it so easy to put on and so hard to take off?

When I was a kid our gang also played 'space' Buck Rogers was big in the comics and movie serials.

I am waiting to hear from all the tests I had for the osteoporosis. I found out the cost of Forteo, so if insurance won't cover it, I won't be taking it. It must be made of a gold solution. I know that the drug companies say they have to charge that much to pay for research, but wht about all the Gov.t grans they get for research? He must be in there somewhere. :

I am so happy that my eye responded well to the laser treatment. I don't have to go back for 6mo.

Glenda: When you have those over 100deg. temps is it a dry heat like Arizona?

Hi everyone. And where are you Pam and Blue Iris. Hi to you too. Have a great rest of the weekend. Ann
  • G'day all,

Back to feeling my old self again today Took a while to shake this chest infection.

Thanks to all for your input towards our trip. Now that we have booked, it is REALLY going to happen

It is a magnificent day here today, the start of spring is on its way.

Karen I think you are right re the advise to Glenda but having said that I can so relate to what Glenda is saying, this weight thing is just the pits.
    I will have to pull my finger out because I really do want to loose some of this weight I am carrying before our trip.

Sorry to hear about your sugar levels Karen, it doesn't seem quite fair when you are doing the right thing and the figures are still up

We are a bit in limbo at the moment, our daughter is expecting her first child and she was due yesterday. The minute she has the baby we will jump in our little 'dream machine' and drive over to Melbourne to welcome our second grand daughter, stay for a day and drive back again.
    Everything is put on hold whilst we are waiting for the call. She was sure she was going to be early but that hasn't happened.
    She was one of the reasons that I went to see a doctor about my chest infection, I didn't think I should welcome a new grandchild by coughing and spluttering all over the poor child!
    Her husband will have 2 weeks off and then when he goes back to work I will fly over and stay a few weeks to help her.

Ann any particular reason you are having the osteoporosis test or is it just a routine test?

I know I should comment on other posts but at this minute I cannot remember who said what

I hope you are all well and are having a great weekend,

Cheers
    Maria
  • Maria: I have had osteoporosis for some time now, and my last bone density test showed my spine had deteriorated a bit more. So the tests to see what can be done, if anything. Still waiting for the reports. I try to do everything that I should, calcium, exercise, and I take Evista which is also supposed to be helpful for bones. The Forteo is supposedly the only medication that has proven to rebuild bone. The others just stop the deteriation from going any further. I know I have shrunk in height. That is a sign of back problems. But I don't have the 'dowagers hump' which comes from spinal fractures. So time will tell what comes next.

Glad you are feeling better. I'm sure you are looking forward to this new grandbaby. Ann
  • Ann, are we talking about the same thing? I take Fosamax and it is supposed to rebuild bone too. Leon has osteoporosis and he has been on a mission. He drinks only milk and water all the time, eats yogurt, smoothies, etc. He stopped all caffeine cold turkey. But do not know how successful this is. I was just wondering if your mother had this. Sometimes I think we are fighting heredity more than other factors. And, in answer to your question, yes, it is usually not overly humid when it is this hot, but we cannot count on dry heat like Arizona.
  • Hi
    I was also under the impression that Fosamax is the only drug that helps make osteoblats to build bone. In my case the Osteoporosis is heriditary, Mom and her sisters all have it. I do have a small frame, it is just well hidden. Of course, stupid dieting in the past didn't help me at all. I had a bone scan and I am waiting for my results. Now I worry about the Osteonecrosis Of The Jaw which is associated with Fosamax and other bis-phosphonates. I checked out the web for Forteo.. http://seniorhealth.about.com/cs/ost...s/a/forteo.htm
    I wish I didn't have to take anything.
  • It has been an interesting day so far and it is only 9:30 AM. Had an appointment at an eye surgeon to have him look at a growth I have had on my eyelid for a year. It has grown and in the last few days has had a black spec in the middle. DH said I looked like I had a spy camera on my eyelid.
    Well I saw him and he said it was probably benign but he would remove it and send it for biopsy. I asked him when it would be done and he said he had the room ready and it would take 15 minutes. So, bottom line it is off and I am none the worse for it. No pain...novacain in the eyelid and I didn't feel a thing. I am swollen now and need to put a cold compress on it three times a day for the next couple of days and I have an ointment also to apply. He will see me again in 2 weeks and that should be it. I didn't even have time to get apprehensive. That's a good thing.

Marie: So glad you are feeling better and just in time to welcome you newest grandchild. I am sure you can hardly wait.

Glenda & Ann: I think the whole world is on Fosamax. I asked my dr when and how I would know if it was working. He said they don't usually do another bone scan as if it showed no improvement then the Fosamax was preventing more bone loss and keep it up. If it showed improvement then the Fosamax was doing it's job and keep it up. Bottom line it is Fosamax for life.

Karen: So sorry to hear about your sugar levels. Hope they can come to the bottom of the problem so you can have your cookie, at least once in a while.

Well, I guess I should get myself a cold compress for that swelling.

Gloria
  • Gals: Because of esophageal problems I cannot take Fosamax. I only know what the Dr. told me about Forteo being the only med. that actually built new bone. But if my insurance doesn't cover it, I won't be taking it anyway. It is very costly. I got the report of all the tests, and I didn't learn anything about myself that I didn't already know. Osteoarthritis in my hips as well as the osteoporosis, more degeneration in the spine. None of it caused by thyroid, or other glands, good sugar level, good blood pressure, etc. So now I wait to see what the insurance does. . I just keep doing what I have been doing and that's that. My mother had osteo. My eldest daughter with the Lupus has it, and my youngest has osteopenia, so she is taking Fosamax now too. Eldest couldn't take it. She did the Forteo. Oh well, the joys of getting older. Ann
  • Hi All,
    Been busy and it all seems to revolve around eating out at different times with friends. I need to get to it and stick to the points. Now for some reason I want one of those Wendy's frostees. School starts next week. Where has the summer disappeared to-after the 4th of July it seems to rush along.

Glenda like the idea of joining the gym. We have a Fitworks up the street. I should look into it. Hope you are staying cool. I don't mind the heat too much but it is the humidity that gets to me.

Maria are you a new grandma yet? I am excited for you.

Gloria I can't imagine getting novacain in your eyelid. That sounds very painful to me. Hope the swelling is gone.

Karen I am sorry to hear about your high sugar. Hope it was just a fluke but it is good that they are watching it. I had lunch with some old work friends yesterday and one of them brought a diabetic pie. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested.

Lemon Cream Pie
    Mix together:
    1 oz lemon Crystal Light
    1 8 oz cream cheese
    Then mix in 11/2 cups of milk and 1 large sugar free instant vanilla pudding.
    Add 8 oz of Cool Whip and put in a graham crust.
    Refrigerate.
  • G'day all,

My poor daughter is still hanging in there, she started getting contractions last Sunday but just when she thinks it is serious the contractions stop

I didn't realise you had osteoporosis Ann and Trudy and Glenda and her dh, sounds like you all have it well in hand.

Glad you got rid of whatever it was on your eye Gloria and that it was nothing to sinister.
    It is funny how our conversations change as we are getting older!

A question for you all, as you know we will be hiring a car for 2 months when we get to America.
    We drive on the left hand side of the road and the steering wheel etc. is at the opposite side as what it would be in cars in the States.
    My question is where is your accelerator and brake pad?
    The foot controls in our cars, the accelerator on the right and the brake next to it and in a manual car the clutch next to that.

Does that mean that you use your foot controls with your left foot

Plans are coming along nicely.....

A warm day here today and it is not even spring yet!

Cheers
    Maria
  • Maria to answer you question quickly.....getting ready to leave for the hair dresser. Our steering wheel is on the left but the gas...accelerator is on the right...use your right foot and the break is next to it and you still use your right foot. In other words it is just the same as in your car except the whole works is on the left side of the car. Hope that helps. Gloria