Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #1  

Default Week of 8/28

Hi all!!

Quiet weekend around here. I was crazy busy. Busy setting up my classroom and doing the bridal shower thing for my future sister in law.

Well off to clean. I spent 6 hours sorting through files and papers left by previous teachers this morning. My feet are KILLING me b/c I couldn't sit down as I was spreading them out across my entire table. But i have to get the playroom in order and laundry sorted.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #2  

Misty you sound so excited. I am so happy for you. you sound busy but busy doing what you want to be doing. Plus you will feel so good getting a paycheck! Yippee Skippee. Remember to take lots of water on your first day because you talk and talk and then talk some more. I remember the first week of school my throat always getting sore from not being use to talkiking so much.

Back from Ohio and back on track. I need to keep my bucket home for awhile tired of sabatoging myself. Plus I think my daughter needs some space.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #3  

I'm so happy for you, Misty!!!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Morning all. Well I've hit an all time high of 240.8 and done a lot of thinking, talked some stuff over with my husband and made some decisions. I'm going to go ahead and look into WLS right now rather than waiting til the end of the year. There is a surgeon in the US, about 90 minutes away and I may be able to get approval to have my surgery there and have it paid for by our health care system. Apparently a lot of Canadians do this because we don't have the systems in place to get people into clinics or have the surgery. I have a family dr appt in 6 weeks, I need her to sign the forms. So my plan is to try and lose weight as best I can over the next 6 weeks, keep a detailed journal so that I can show her what I am doing bad or good. It would be great if I could lose weight over the next 6 weeks and I am going to try but I"m not betting the farm on it. Even if I lost 10 lbs I am still over 100 pounds overweight. Anyway I know my track record at keeping a journal has not been good but I have to do this because likely I won't get approved if I don't show that I've put in a honest effort to lose.

Misty - when does school start for you?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #5  

Jen~~ You can do it! The nutritionist that I went to asked me to not only journal my food intake but to also write how I felt when I was eating it. Are you bored, lonely, happy, etc., and at what level (on a scale of 1-10) are you hungry? I'm also a horrible journaler, so do as I say but not as I do.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #6  

My asthma is kicking up big time because of weather so yuck.
Jen have you posted on the WLS threads they probably would have great advice for you.
I am a real advocate of journaling. When I stick to program and journal it is so much easier to be accountable. When I ignore journal I am on a spiral to out of control. Hence the big butt pants on my body..
Old 08-30-2006, 08:47 AM   #7  
Jen

Hi all. Well my first day of journalling did not go well, I didn't even make one entry. On the plus side though, I did drink all my water. So that was good. I'll make another attempt today to get going on the journal.

I am looking at a couple of WLS forums including this one but I'm looking more at one that is geared to people in Ontario because in order to get surgery in a timely manner we have to go to the US if we want to get our health care system to pay for it. It can be quite a complex undertaking and so far no one here has responded to a post I left about it so I'm guessing there are no Ontario chicks having WLS in the US. There is a lot of info to wade through and by no means please anyone think of it as being the easy way out. That is what I thought at one time as well but now my eyes are wide open after reading so much.

Luflic - sorry to hear about your allergies, can you take anything for them?

Steph - I'm a lot do as I say not as I do in some ways as well so don't worry about it. That's a good idea to journal also what I am feeling.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #8  

Hi all!!

Luflic-I hope you feel better

Jen-I don't think WLS is a easy way out. It's not glamorous, or easy. And it will forever alter how you live. Some people try to go back eating sugars and carbs, but if you want a 100% chance of not gaining back your weigt you can't. So if you feel that you've tried and this is your best chance at a healthier you then I say go for what you need!!

Journaling is key for me too. I just lose track somewhere around Friday night LOL

My sister's surgery was delayed. There are some concerns with her liver. So she has to watch her carbs (so no carbs at all really) and in two weeks they'll check again. Something with her PCOS or IR causes her liver to swell, and b/c she was going into surgery she wasn't watching the refined junk a kind of eat it while you can attitude.

School starts for us on Wed. the 6th. I took all three kids in with me today (the other one is at his Gramma's down state all week). We put up my bulletin board, did a few finishing touches, rearranged a few things. Tomarrow I go in and copy and laminate stuff and then at 5 I do a meet your teacher time. I am so excited. I found a class pen pal exchange and will be doing taht with a preschool teacher in Arizona. I think that will be a fun thing for the kids.

Then I have to spend my long weekend cleaning my house!

Well have a great day everyone!!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:39 PM   #9  

I always had my students do pen pals and at the end of the year we would have a picnic together was a neat activity.

The weather is better today so I can breath when it is humid I am down. If I stay indoors function fairly well. I have been on all the meds. Now I have taken myself off of everything and try to avoid things. Hate I mean hate steroids, was so weary of nebulizer and all it entails so rather baby myself in humid weather. Thanks for your well wishes all I am doing better today!

Coming here and venting is a good way to Journal!

I too think that surgery is definitly not the easy way out.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:39 AM   #10  
Jen

Misty, that sounds very exciting that you are gearing up for your new job! Yes I have read something about getting your liver ready for surgery as strange as that sounds. Apparently if there is a problem with the liver they may have to do a bigger incision or have to do an open surgery rather than laproscopicly. What I was reading recommended trying to eat the same way as you would after the surgery (well you don't have to eat pureed food though) so that way you are going to be used to eating that way by the time you have the surgery.

I am down a couple of lbs today. I drank tons of water yesterday so I know that is part of it but also I was watching what I was eating closely and I refrained from having any evening snacks. I retain and lose water very easily and I've been feeling bloated lately (thank-you TOM).
Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 PM   #11  

Hi all!

WHEW! I am beat!!!! DS didn't do so well with being seperated from me. I hope it gets better. DD did great and really enjoyed her daycare class. My room is ready, I met many of my parents....small world I went to highschool with one of them and she works at my husband's company. Being from NY and living in PA though only an hour away from where I grew up I don't see very many of my classmates.

My kids seem fun and I am excited to get going. I will also be doing afterschool care for the "big" kids. They are a HANDFUL. But, the director told me to lay down the law and everyone else will follow through my rules. I went to meet them today and while going outside the director had a behavioral issue with one and I said go ahead and take him to the office and I can take the rest. So we went outside and they tested me a bit, but really if I had to speak to them the straightened up. SO I think it will go well.

My weight is back up a bit...no surprise. We have litterally no food in my house. I had to borrow bread from my in laws so I could feed the kids lunch today. So we've eaten out alot, I'm too darn tired to cook so when we do eat at home it's junk. I've done some stress eating, DS is really testing me and he and DD cry and fight from teh time they wake up. Why is it I can keep other people's kids in line but not my own LOL. I am really hoping that I can get back on track with school starting. 3 days a week I won't be home to eat. I'll get 30 minutes to myself each of those days. I could walk, or relax, that will be weird!

My neighbors that I watch kids for got an offer on thier house and if all goes through they close on 11/1. If that happens then I will probably be done watching them. They'll rent a place in town until the new baby is born and it'd make no sense for their mom to bring them here so they'd go into daycare full time. At which point I am not sure if I'll opt to do daycare full time or opt to keep my two days off with just my kids.

So lots happening here, very little of it having to do with me losing this weight or trying to reach my 30th birthday goal...which is a joke at this point. But I am hopeful that this new beginning will last longer than most LOL.

have a great night all. I have a LOOOOONG weekend ahead as I have tomarrow off and Monday as well.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #12  

Misty, I'm so happy for you! You should very excited! And this is a perfect time to start new, healthy habits. Your life has changed so drastically so quickly, but it's a good change!!! Try to accompany this with all your healthy eating, and you'll be on a roll in no time at all.

The weather has cooled down so quickly! You can definitely tell that fall is in the air today. It's just like the first weekend of college football rang in the new fall season!! I plan on going for a quick walk, get groceries, and clean a bit before dh gets off of work at 1:00. He's not feeling well. He had a bad sore throat yesterday. He's really worried that he'll give it to me too, and I won't be able to take much of anything for medicine to help me feel better. He slept on the couch last night. There was absolutely no persuading him to come to bed. He's so stubborn!!

I hope you're enjoying the holiday, weekend. Jen, is it a holiday in Canada too?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #13  

Hey chicks, sorry I have been MIA. We had 2 derbys this weekend, just back from the second one. I am so tired, and I think I might have a mild sprain in my ankle, i cracked it on the bleacher, and then slipped. I hope it feels better tomorrow. My eating has been horrid, I need to go to the store, but probably won't make it there until Tuesday, so tomorrow's eating probably won't be much better. I have set a new mini goal, of 10 pounds by Halloween, as we are not going to Tenn. until the summer. I have some new clothes on layaway, and hopefully I will be able to fit in them by the time I get them out. They are 1 size smaller than i wear now.

Hope everyone has a good Labor Day!!

Hugs,
DOnna
Old 09-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #14  
Jen

Yes we have Labor Day in Canada as well. It has been a pretty wet and cold weekend so far but tomorrow is supposed to be sunnier.

Not sure what I am doing with WLS. In some ways I think it is a reasonable solution and in other ways not really. Also it will be difficult to find a surgeon in Canada, it might take up to 2 years to have the surgery but right now I am not sure that I want to go to the US for the surgery which I could probably get within the next couple of months. Hard to decide what to do. While I like the idea of losing weight quickly I don't like the idea that there are some foods I may never be able to eat again. Also is losing weight really worth risking technically unnecessary surgery for? Right now I do not suffer from any other medical problems related to the excess weight although I know that will not likely always be true. I don't know. This needs a lot of thought.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #15  

Jen, I am glad that you are taking the time to give this surgery a lot of thought. My DH says even though I qualify for WLS, he doesn't want me to do it, he says it isn't worth risking my life over. I agree, at least in my case. But I think everyone has to make the decision for themselves. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Hugs,
Donna
Closed Thread