Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #16  
Net browser

Hi Everybody: The parade I mentioned is a yearly thing that goes on in that town, and it goes right past DIL & partners new dance studio. Those smart girls took avantage of that fact and planned the opening for that day. It truly was a great way to get a lot of advertising. I did buy a George Foreman grill yesterday (with this new one you just take the grills out and put them in the dishwasher), cleans up in a snap. I made myself dinner tonight. Actually I think it was the first time I have since my David died. I cooked a couple of pork strips (I forget what they are really called) and had new baby potatoes and corn with that. The grill worked out just perfect. It was Trudy's idea that maybe I should look into getting one and I am happy that I did. I made enough to have another meal during the week. It wasn't quite as hot today which was actually nice. Being in an air-cond. house and going into a air-cond. car it doesn't matter much, but if you want to do a bit of yard work or just sit outside it was nice to be able to do that without frying your brain. KAREN, I am sorry the news about your knee wasn't better, but perhaps it will improve on it's own. GLORIA, let us know how the birthday party turns out. Bye for now gals.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #17  

Slavika, Glad to hear about the new grill and about your eating a real meal. that is o important. Thank you Trudy!

Here is what Mayo Clinic says about my knee.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meniscus-tear/AN00828
Karen

Last edited by Karen L; 07-18-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #18  
Fun Blonde

Karen, I read this about your knee. My middle son who was a wrestler injured his knee in high school and his doctor did arthroscopy and removed the cartilage that was loose so it wouldn't interfere with the movement of his knee. Then he did exercises to build up the knee so that these muscles could stabilize the knee because the C-band was gone. It was not much of a big deal, but he was 15 at the time. Hope this is true with you, whichever way you go.

Slavika, good for you--eating a real meal. Have you just been eating a bit here and there or frozen entrees, that sort of thing? I have the old George Foreman grill that I would like to trash because it is so hard to clean up. Wouldn't you know they would make one that could go in the dishwasher. You might find a new hobby in the PR for your DIL's dance studio. Who knows? You would certainly make a good salesman for it.

The heat has got us all down. I guess it is across the country too. I have 3 chiropractic appointments a week with my neck and today I have a massage. Last time I had a wreck I did all this and just did not want to do it this time-----and then the headaches began. Before long I was begging the massage lady to take me. The first one was a miracle. It would not be so bad if I could take medicine that would not make me so sick and loopy.

Gloria, hope the party went well. Or is it tonight?

All, yes, I am very low on thyroid so on a replacement. I hope it helps. As I told the doctor, I am not sick, just not very well. All my symptoms, including the most vexing of being so darned sensitive to temperatures, are just classic symptoms.

All, keep cool if you can. I don't even want to go from the car to the house. It has been 110 degrees here. Yuck!
Glenda
Old 07-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #19  
Web Nana

Oh, my God, Glenda....110 that is HOT! We went to the Air Base this AM and the gauge on the car dash read 102 &I I thought that was bad.
Hope those massages will help with the headaches.

Karen: The meniscus is what DH had a problem with. His was torn and the Dr. w/arthroscopic cleaned it up and except for the added problem of severe arthritis in that knee he would be great. I must admit he surprised me as he had no pain before the operation and after. We saw the Dr for the 6 month check up and he was told unless he had pain and was restricted too much he didn't want to see him for a year and that he was not a candidate for knee replacement at this time. Hope all will be as easy for you.

Slavika: I had a George Forman and used it a lot but it was one of the first and did not have a shut off button so when you pulled the plug you would get a spark....not very safe. I just got a 'Griddler' by Cuisinart. It has two surfaces that are removable and a second set if you want to grill with a flat plate. The top also goes down flat so you can use both top and bottom to grill or fry egg, pancakes, whatever. I use it a lot. Make hamburgers when I don't want to use the outside grill or bacon and eggs and it makes great grilled panini--sandwiches. Hope you have as much fun with yours.

Well yesterday the cake baking went very well. Little Miss Kerri had all the ingredients and utensils out on the counter when I arrived and we had a lot of fun. She had researched the recipies on the internet and got an easy one from the Food Channel. She also got the icing recipe...it was very low cal. Only 1/2 lb butter and 3 cups of Confectioner's sugar. Tonight's the party and I will let you know how it goes. Kerrie also made the Birthday card for her mom....she drew a cake with candles and someone blowing them out with an ah choo sound effect. The candles blew all around the card and each candle had a different design on it.....smiley faces for when Mom is happy, closed eyes for tired, etc. The verse said "What's the matter...too many candles" I thought it was very clever. Older brother hadn't bought Mom his present yet and wanted to give her some money but Dad said ...she has money and you need to give it more thought so he went out and bought flowers and a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant. They are good kids.

I'll let you know how it all turns out...probably tomorrow!

Gloria
Old 07-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #20  

G'day all,

I didn't realise it was so hot in your part of the world

I hear what you are saying Slavika, it is all very well to have an airconditioned house and car but you still feel very restricted and with a continual hot spell you just want to get out in the garden or go for a walk.
Pleased the George Foreman grill worked well for you, anything that goes in the dishwasher HAS to be good thing.

A friend called in yesterday who has just had a hip replacement , she was just incredible, said it was a breeze! She now needs both her knees replaced, she is not quite so keen to get that done.
I hope they are able to fix your knee Karen and you are soon back to normal.
It just goes to show again that you just don't know what is around the corner.
Another friend also called in (I had a busy day) whilst her husband had an angiogram. He has developed heart problems, we haven't seen him for 3 months and I cannot believe the change in him, he has lost a lot of weight and he cannot do anything. They have booked to go to France for 2 months in September and hope that they can find out what is wrong with him so they can at least try and manage the problem.
This getting old is not much fun

Glenda I hope the massages are helping you and that the thyroid medication is doing its job.

Gloria what great grand children you have, I loved the boys idea of a present for Mum and his father's response It will hold him in good stead when he does the same for his wife in years to come.

With all my visitors yesterday, I will try and get on with my book of photos.
It is a huge learning curve but hopefully it will turn out well.

Hi to Trudy and Peggy and I hope Ann is enjoying herself on her vacation.

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #21  

HI All,

See you all are having the heat. It sure is hot-here the humidity is awful. I will take it over snow and cold anyday. Last week I went away for a few days with my sister. We went up to Ohio's Amish country. I love to go there. Such a different way of life. The kids are so wholesome and cute. Their horses are beautiful. www.oacountry.com The area has been "discovered" by McDonalds and Burger King. What a shame. They have a great fabric shop in Charm. My sister makes quilts and bought the makings for a whack and stack quilt. Don't ask me what it looks like. I can't picture it. We ate a restaurant the Amish frequent. They do make the best pies. so needless to say I have to get back to the diet.

Karen I am happy about your weight loss but yuck on the knee. I know that is painful. I hope it heals without suregery. Dh hurt is knee years ago playing oldtimers baseball. He tore his ligaments and was in pain. He had surgery. My youngest son has had surgery on both his knees. Weird because that is his specialty in his job.

Maria I have to go look at your pictures. Can't figure out why your emails don't come through.

Gloria what a fun day you had with your granddaughter. She sounds like a great kid.

Slavika the hot dog maker- what a good idea that was. I bet the little "rapper" had a good time on the float checking out the girls. I haven't heard about the new and improved Foreman grill. We have one of the originals. You need to take your time with David's things. You do what you can.

Glenda I have to laugh. You sound like me wanting a miracle with those thyroid pills. I have been having a problem losing lately and can't figure out why.

I am tired. I went to the race track today with a group of women. It was fun even though I hardly won. Do any of you watch Treasure Hunters? I was wishing that annoying girl last night would stick her head in the swamp.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 AM   #22  
Super Surfer

Talking

Karen so sorry to hear about your knee. I remember my stupid ankle last summer. It kept me from doing a lot of things. I hope there is a speedy remedy for your knee. "They" tell us to keep active, but our body parts are prone to injury when we do too much. You are really doing so well with your weight loss. Of course, you are working at it. Might be the reason why I am not doing so well.... you have to work at it.
I am trying to convince our Slavika to join my Wellness facility. I think it would be a healthy way for her to pass the time. I think she is going to give it a try. There is Guest Day when I could take her in for free, or she could pay the $10.00 fee for the day and I could take her in any time. Of course Slavika that would mean we would have to eat healthier treats at Tea Time. You should have seen the lovely assortment she picked up today. We "might" have had a bit of livation...
The temperature reached 95 on the weekend. I thought I was going to perish. My allergy to whatever I am allergic to, was driving me nuts. I didn't go outside much, just to water my poor flowers or to dash to the car. I don't know how you gals can live in such hot climates. It would be the end of me.
Maria I also smiled when I read your daughters "plan" for the birth of her baby. We know that things don't always go as planned. The excitement of the birth is evident. Do they have the nursery all ready? Is the baby going to be a girl? I thought I read a "she" in the mail.
Peggy The Amish Country looks so peaceful. Do you remember the movie "Witness" with Harrison Ford? I have been to the races a few times and thorougly enjoyed myself.
Gloria My George Foreman grill sounds like the one you replaced. No on and off switch. It is a non stick, but I have to clean the grills myself... maybe I need a new one. Slavika's is really nice.
Glenda I didn't know you had thyroid problems. I hope the chiropracter can clear up the headaches. I get this sinus thing, it involves my left eyebrow, eye and cheek and makes my teeth ache. Here I go again complaining.
Yesterday was my 41st Wedding Anniversary. Remember the Birthday Calculator.. I am a 1 and my DH is an 8... the calculator didn't think it was a good match.. We had a nice day, went out for dinner and had the family over in the evening.
The situation in the middle east is so upsetting. I think the outcome of that region is going to affect all of us one way or another. I hate the fact that the Canadian soldiers are "peace keeping" in Afghanastan. Watching the national news is very disturbing.

Bye for now..
Old 07-19-2006, 01:09 AM   #23  

Good to 'see' you Peggy and thank you for the link to the Amish page, it is an area we hope to visit when we come on our American holiday.

I have tried to rectify the email problem however the problem is at your end, I can receive your emails but for some reason your provider is rejecting my emails.

Trudy I think that is an excellent thing for Slavika to do to join your Wellness Centre. Just keep persisting until she agrees to try it out.

Yes Lexie is having a little girl and the nursery has been ready for some time. Her due date is August 12.
I loved Slavika's story of her childbirth experience

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #24  
Web Nana

A quick update on the birthday extravaganza! Chris worked Monday until late so she didn't see any of the birthday baking but Tuesday she had an early day home at 3PM. By that time Kerri had the table set, beautifully, and almost all the ingredients out in anticipation of my arrival to start cooking. Needless to say Chris was surprised...she said 'so that's what all the whispering was all about!' Between Kerri and her brother Sean they wouldn't allow Chris to do any helping.

The plan was for appetizers...cheese and crackers and a platter of sliced tomatoes with basil, mozarella cheese, & olive oil. She even had her dad take her our to get wine for the party....white for appetizers and red for the meal. She had lamb which came our great and roasted potatoes and asparagus and corn on the cob. Then she pulled out the cake and lit a whole box of candles.....mom had a fit over that...'I'm not that old!' All in all we had a great time and I don't think either mom or Kerri will forget this. By the way Sean did pick up a beautiful bouquet of mauve flowers including some roses. He is learning.

Yesterday we went to the Cape to visit my friend and we had a lovely afternoon sitting on her front porch and watching the people in the water and the boats going by. There were a bunch of kids who had been taken to the beach from some sort of day care place and they all had orange t shirts. They were all across the street waiting for the bus to take them back and every time a car, truck, motorcycle went by they would all pump their arms and holler.....Honk, Honk....some did and when they did a roar went up from the kids. She is doing well but will always have to use the walker. they have a visiting nurse come in once a week to set up her meds in the daily containers so there will be no mix up. She also takes a drop of blood to check for the Cumidin that she takes. Yesterday her blood was thin and the nurse called the DR to check about possibly not taking the Cumidin that night. It is good that they have a professionial come in to help. Being 85 & 87 it is easy to be confused.

Jack got into the water and he said it was perfect. There were lots of people on the sand and in the water. After we left we wandered around and found another beach and were able to park and have a light bite to eat while looking at the water.....very restful.

I am in the midst of laundry which I have neglected lately and my dryer just dinged so I am off....

Gloria
Old 07-21-2006, 12:09 AM   #25  

G'day all,

Gloria that all sounds so lovely, the dinner and your visit to your friend. Makes me wish for summer.

DH is quite unbearable at the moment, he is having a difficult time adjusting to retirement. Two weeks after we came home from our trip he was asked to go to Bangladesh for 3 months which we refused, he then was asked to go to New Zealand and he had psyched himself up to go and was then advised the contract has fallen through. So we are back to square one.
He wants to be retired but then he doesn't

The good thing is that he is aware that he is being a pain in the backsite, so lets hope he snaps out of it soon!

So that is about it from me, back to getting my book finished.

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #26  

Maria my Aunt once told me along time ago that the definition of retirement was twice as much man only half as much money. It will take time for the 2 of you to to get used to being in the house together 24/7 . There will be times that a large rock would come in handy just so you will have some peace and quiet and space. When I need to get away for a while I take the dog and the golf cart and way we go. Some times all I need is 20 minutes. I've even begun to let DH do some of the mid week food shopping. Like we need Lettuce and tomatoes and maybe some fruit. It gets him out of my hair for a while and makes him feel like he got some thing that needs doing. He really has no hobbies. Right now it's really to hot to out on the golf course. Course right now he is busy every day with me as the gimp around here.

Yesterday we went to Walmart because I had cabin fever and needed to get out. I drove one of those carts around . That was kind of fun but. I have to tell you the world looks different from a sitting position. Don't like it.

Gloria, Sounds like your GD party went well. She did a good job. Your day at the beach sounded nice.

Glenda, Hope all is going well with new medication. If I remember right you don't do well with meds. So how is it going? Did Your head aches go away yet?

Slavika does your new George Foremen Grill have an on/off switch? We got a new on and it does not. Was disappointed. Like the way it cleans up tho. Oh Yes go with Trudy to the wellness center. It will be good for you! :

See you later
Karen

PS
Trudy was i coming on a little strong about the wellness center???
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #27  
Fun Blonde

Karen, you are funny about the brick. We still work, but with this heat in the evening I understand. HE can't get outside. No, I do not do well with medication for pain or inflammation. The thyroid has been no problem, thank you Lord! The heat gives me such headaches. I had a regularly scheduled massage from the wreck thing, went home, went to sleep on the couch and remember very little about last night. Those massages just zonk me out.

Peggy, I think I want your life. Going to the races, to the Amish country, just sounds like lots of fun. A whack and stack quilt! We want to see a picture when finished.

Maria, he will get his act together eventually. It sure must take some adjusting to get into a new routine, but those I know wonder how they ever worked. I did call my brother and he said this is the worst time of the year for him because of the weather, but it will pass. He has an obsessive hobby of bird watching--even goes out of the country into a helicopter to see some exotic bird. But that is what gets his juices flowing.

Talked to my kid, the school administrator yesterday. He said he and his kids have extreme cabin fever. They can't play in their backyard pool because the water is way too hot. They had been to McDonald's to play, watched videos, colored and were all cranky and bored. I remember those days well. Cabin fever January and July and August. This is the 13th day in a row with temperatures over 100!

Slavika, you have such a good friend in Trudy. She will get you a new hobby, the fitness center. It will be such fun because you can have a little tea-time after every workout and feel justified.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #28  

G'day all,

Glenda I am glad we are visiting the US in April/May, we won't have to worry too much about the heat, we get enough of that at home.
I rather like your brother's hobby of birdwatching but I guess anything obsessive is not a good thing, just ask dh about MY photograpy and addiction to Photoshop

Karen I am sure the world must be different in one of those little carts. Makes you realise how restricted you are when you cannot walk.

On the retirement front....dh was asked to send his CV to someone in Singapore, there could be some contract work in the UK.
I doubt (and hope) if anything will come of it and this is really our problem, being a consultant and supposedly work when you want to, just doesn't really work. We are in a constant state of limbo.
Financially it is just too good to pass up but for peace of mind and just settling in to retirement, it is not a good thing for either of us.
I guess it keeps life interesting.

My book is just about finished and ready to go to the printers. I will send you all the link of the PDF version of the book. A lot of photos are the same as the website but there also many new ones that I have added.

Once I have done this book, I thought I would do a book of Matilda's first year for ds and d-i-l for their Christmas.
I was lying awake early this morning thinking about how I would do it and which photos I would include, goodness knows I have enough of Matilda's first year
I will let you know my progress in time to come.....

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #29  
Net browser

Hi Everybody: I spent time this morning looking at MARIA'S photo's, and they are truly wonderful. You sure have a great talent with that camera of yours. KAREN it's a good thing that they have those riding carts at Wal-Mart, at least you were able to have a change of scenery. About my new George Forman Grill.....Yes it has a power on/off switch, a timer like on a stove and also you can set the temperature. To clean the top and bottom grills you just pop them out and put them in the dishwasher. Easy clean up. Mine cost $149.99 plus the taxes. The grilling surface is about 9" by 12". I bet they are cheaper in the US. If any of you gals spot one check the price and let me know. It's called "The Next Grilleration" model No. GRP99CAN. MARIA sent me some information about digital cameras so I would like to get one. I bought myself a new scanner/printer that supposedly prints great photo's, and I am also going to get a new computer desk and chair. The desk I have is just too small to hold the printers, speakers etc and my chair must be the most uncomfortable ever invented. It is one of those old fashioned oak chairs that bankers had along with those HUGE oak desks. This chair was David's Dad (he was a banker too) and when he retired the staff had a brass plaque put on the back of the chair saying he was the bank manager from "1935 to 1968" and it was given to him when he retired. I put a pillow on the seat to raise myself up so that I can type without knocking my elbows on the wood arm rests, but my pillow keeps slipping and one of these days I will end up with my BUTT on the floor. TRUDY picked me up all the literature on the wellness center and I think that it would do me good to join. I was thinking that maybe I would wait until summer was over and then go She is a dear friend and I know she worries about me. It would do me a lot of good to have "someplace" to go and also this body of mine is not looking to impressive these days. It requires some serious work. My blood sugar levels are up and that is not good. I will call the doctor tomorrow and have him set me up for some blood work. I forgot to mention that before I can move in all this new computer furniture I have to clean up the shelves and things in this room FIRST. Everynight before I go to bed I put bright yellow postie notes on my kitchen table. One says WALK (on my treadmill) the other says clean computer room. So far I haven't done either. My exercise consists of squishing up the WALK postie note and throwing it in the garbage. Yesterday I went with DIL and kids out for hot dogs/fries AND soft ice cream cone. Hmmm not exactly diet type food, but I sure enjoyed it and the company. My Princess is in rehearsal every day including Sat. and Sun. from 2 to 4 hours and the time differs. She never complains, so I guess she is truly enjoying the experience. There are 16 children munchkins and the fact that she was one of the ones chosen, out of the hundreds of children that auditioned for the part is just super. I already have tickets for two of the performances of Wizard of Oz and I think I may have to go a third time too. The play starts on August 1st and runs until August 20th. It's a outdoor theatre with a roof over it in one of our lovely parks. GLORIA how nice that the birthday party was such a great success. ANN, nice to hear you are back and I hope all went well on your holiday. GLENDA I am happy that this time you are not having trouble with your new meds. PEGGY, I would love to see the crafts and things that the Amish people do. I know they have some wonderful cookbooks too.
Well gals, that's my news. Bye for now.

Last edited by slavika; 07-23-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #30  

G'day all,

Lovely to see your post Slavika, you are lucky with a good friend like Trudy so close by. I think joining the wellness centre will be great and as you said, it will be something you have committed yourself to and will encourage you to do a bit more excercise than screwing up your yellow post-it note
Also to have your computer room set up the way you want it will give you more incentive to do things.
I love my computer room with all my books, printer, scanner etc. etc.

The wizard of oz sounds wonderful and to have such a close connection with a member of the cast would make it doubly special!

I must be off and put some finishing touches to the book!

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread