Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #1  

Default Amy--

I saw that you are involved in ChemoAngels. I'm interested!! Can you give me some details. I don't really know anything about it when you have time!! Thanks!

Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 AM   #2  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I'd be happy to~ this is my favorite group!

ChemoAngels is a volunteer group that adopts cancer patients via snail mail. We are assigned a patient and we stay with them throughout the course of their treatment (chemo, radiation, etc). If someone successfully completes treatment, they "graduate" from the ChemoAngels program.

Patients often do not respond to their angels-- this is a one-way street, not a pen-pal program. Some new volunteers become upset when they don't get "thank you" notes-- that's not what the program is about. In the last three years, I have heard from various patients maybe four or five times directly. Two were notes at the end of their treatment thanking me for what I had done. My current patient has sent me two postcards, which was a big thrill for me, since I didn't expect to hear from her.

Angels can volunteer in two positions-- ChemoAngel or CardAngel. I've done both. ChemoAngels are expected to send one package per week, plus 1-2 additional notes/ cards. CardAngels only send cards/letters-- that's the option I choose when money is tight. (And we're strongly advised against just signing our name to cards- letters are much appreciated!) Right now I'm a ChemoAngel and I generally spend $5-10 per week on my patient, including postage. Once a month or so I send a bigger gift, in the $15-20 range.

We also have two sister programs, SeniorAngels and Mission Angels. SeniorAngels adopt patients in nursing homes or those who are homebound. MissionAngels adopt families who are overseas doing mission work.

I LOVE being a ChemoAngel-- I've done it for three years now. It is amazing the feeling you get from lifting someone else up like that. I have a lot of fun hunting for little suprises to send my patient when I'm out and about. (We receive a profile of our patients telling us their likes/dislikes to help with ideas.) I always have a basket with several gifts waiting to go to my patient.

I've also seen it from the patient side- last year when my grandma went through chemo, I signed her up to be "angeled". She loved it. My grandma rarely uses the phone, but, when a new package would arrive, she'd actually call my mom to tell her about it. It was great.

OK.... well, as you can see, I love this group. That's probably more information that you wanted, right? Lol. If you want to check it out, visit: www.chemoangels.com
Old 08-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #3  

Amy - what a wonderful organization! The ChemoAngels were not taking applications. I understand they only take 200 a month and most are taken the first couple days each month. Soooo - I signed up as a SeniorAngel. I know there are so many people who are in various care facilities who are pretty much forgotten - and I have often thought how if everyone would just "do something" there lives would be so much better.

Thank you so much for telling us about the organization (good idea to ask, Steph) - just hope I get accepted and can make someone's life just a little brighter. Bev
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #4  
WW online (pts plus)

Wow, Bev.... that's amazing to me. I didn't realize that they weren't taking applications any more. A few months ago we got some national press, and things have really picked up since then, but I had no idea how much. When I started they used to beg for new angels every few months.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #5  
WW online (pts plus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev in WI
Soooo - I signed up as a SeniorAngel. I know there are so many people who are in various care facilities who are pretty much forgotten - and I have often thought how if everyone would just "do something" there lives would be so much better.
Oh-- and Bev, you're so right about seniors in nursing homes. I am the Activity Director in a nursing home, and believe me, many of these people are basically forgotten by the outside world once they come to live with us.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #6  

You ladies are wonderful. I think being an activities director in a nursing home sounds like a wonderful job. I feel for these forgotten seniors. Way to make a difference ladies. How wonderful caring for the cancer patients and the seniors!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #7  

Thanks!! What a cool idea!!!
Closed Thread