What do you do when you feel blue?

• Recent posts by some of our lovely sistas has gotten me thinking. Maybe we should give each other some tips as to what we do to feel better when we're feeling down.

I'll start.

When I'm feeling down it's usually because I feel like I'm not good enough or doing enough or whatever. So to make myself feel better and to put things into perspective, I make lists, especially of tasks I've already completed that day/week. Just the simple feeling of crossing my goals off the list gives me a sense of accomplishment and often restores my motivation to complete another goal.

So, who's next? What do you do to pick yourself up when you're feeling blah?

~Amanda
  • I've been feeling down lately about possibly having surgery and I feel like I'm being a burden on my DD because she is working to support us both while I'm off work. So sometimes I feel pretty useless.

But, I do extra things for her that she doesn't have time to do herself. (She has been working 7 days a week lately!!) Fortunately, the auto business is still good. (She's a welder) I do things like write checks for the bills, go grocery shopping, do her laundry, etc. It kinda cheers me up that after all these years (she's 31) she finally has a stay at home mom. lol.
  • Calpurr, that is a great idea of listing what you have done. I am terrible with lists. I get so excited and write one up and never do it. Probably once a day for the last 7 years lol. Music really cheers me up. It is rare that an upbeat song will not put me in a better mood. My cats are great at cheering me up, as well. I have one that sits on my shoulder. She knows I do not want to talk about it, but makes it clear that if I decide to she is ready to listen. The others will knoozle me and headbutt me until I get over it and decide that rubbing their bellies is more important than being blue.
    Have a few comfort foods, but probably should not mention those. Have not had them in years, though, so no worries.
  • Next time that Lori is feeling blue, I am going to hop around the kitchen like a dancing banana!

How many calories will that burn???
  • AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Oh man, Izzy...just imagining that is enough to cheer anybody up, guaranteed! I think dancing around like that would burn just as many calories as laughing at someone dancing like that would.