Mountain Dew drinkers

• I noticed there are quite a few of us dew drinker!! OMG--yesterday was going to be my last day of drinking the stuff, and then I got to work, and there was still one in my fridge. I couldn't just not drink it!!!!!

So, let's go about this together. How can we quit drinking Mountain Dew!?!

I'm down to 1 can a day. I was previously drinking 32 ounces daily. I really think Mountain Dew is what made me gain this extra weight.

I bought some diet Dr. Pepper. My husband said that he heard that it's easier to switch to something diet if it's completely different than what you're use to. Maybe he's right, because there's no way in **** I could ever drink diet dew. Yuck!

I also bought some tea, but I'm not much for hot tea when it's 100 degrees outside.

Are you drinking a lot of water? At least I made myself drink 32 ounces before I had my Mountain Dew!
  • Oh, Steph, I know that getting off the soda is hard. If you can stick to one a day, you can have it without doing too much damage points wise -- 3 for 12 ounces. Do they sell Dew in those mini cans? I don't know how much they hold, but it's probably only 1-2 points worth.

I enjoy diet cherry vanilla dr. pepper when I feel I must have a soda. And I'm going to try the Coke Zero.

But one thing I do is keep a huge pitcher of sun tea in the fridge all the time. You can make it with Splenda, but it's even better if you make it with a nice combination of herbal tea bags and float a few mint leaves and orange or lime slices in it. It gives you a little break from water and is quite tasty and refreshing.
  • That's a good point--I need to check whether they have those cute little cans. I never thought of it before since I was better off buying in bulk

I'm not a big fan of ice tea, but I do like lemonade. I see that there's some of that made with Splenda now also.

I try to think about it logically--it's only 3 points. However, I don't think I can afford the 3 points. I only get 22 for the day, and I feel like I'm starving! I don't know if I'm eating the wrong foods or what my problem is.
  • OOOOH That sounds yummy Maggie! I drink pepsi one. Moutain Dew would be better, but it's not worth the points to me. I wish they made a decent Diet Mountain Dew. But still the caffiene negates some of the healthful water we are drinking. So something uncaffinated like the herbal tea would be a better choice. Hmmmm. It's a tricky one isn't it?
  • And I thought I was the only Mountain Dew addict around here. I've been drinking it for the last 15+ years, and absolutely can't stand the diet.

Right now I'm down to usually just one a day, sometimes two. I count my points and work it in somehow. I've been up to as much as 4-5 cans a day at times in my life.

I'm drinking Diet Coke when I really want another Dew. It works as far as the caffeine/soda craving.... but it's not nearly as tasty as my Dew, lol!

I'm also drinking a lot of iced tea (plain, no sweetener or flavor) and ice water. I want to try green tea but I haven't gotten any yet.
  • I have the same problems- but with coke.

I've just made it a treat- I plan for it and then I go get the best fountain Coke I can. It's worth it for me. But the rest of the time, I stick with Diet Pepsi.
  • iowa, what plan are you on? I have more points than you but weight less. . .? I think they will be coming out with a splenda Diet Mountain Dew within the next few months. It seems to be the next "thing". Diet Dr. Pepper tastes so very close to the Dr. Pepper, in my opinion. Good choice! The only way I was able to wean myself off of real colas and dew (I used to drink a 2-liter of pop every day when I was a teen-straight from the bottle cold or warm!), was to start adding a bit of water to it. Then more and more until I got used to it 1/2 and 1/2. Then the diets tasted similar. After two or three weeks on diet, the regular stuff just tasted sooooooo thick and sugary.
  • Hippohips--I don't know the name of the plan, but I just started Weight Watchers (flex) a few weeks ago--tonight is my 3rd meeting. My books says that anyone weighing 150-174 pounds gets 22 points per day. Oh, I so wish that was wrong. I was doing fine at 24 points, but for some reason losing those 2 points is killing me. How many points are you eating daily? Hmmm...
  • Oops, I was looking at your high weight (182) when I said that!
    Well, I am using what appears to be an old version of WW. I am in the same 150-174 range, but have a daily minimum of 20 with a daily maximum of 25. If I do not use 25, then whatever I have left I can use for the rest of the week as stored/bonus points.

By the way, for those of you who like iced tea and/or lemonade, you should try out the Carb Options iced tea. They come in rolls of 5 or 6 little pods. I found mine on sale from $4.99 to $.99 so grabbed the three they had left. Have not seen them around here, so I hope they did not stop making it. It is soooooooo thirst quenching and sugar free! I am pretty sure it is no points, but will double check.
  • I'm not a pop drinker, but wanted to offer my support to you all trying to quit!

Just think about what its doing to your teeth! MD is the worst when it comes to pop and your dental health (lol just had to throw that in there... had to be a good dental assistant )

~Liz
  • Hey guys, I have not drank Mt. Dew since highschool...BUT, up until 5 weeks ago, I was a HUGE coca-cola addict. I would have up to 5-6 cans a day. I've only had three Real Cokes since I started ww again. I will have a C2 once in awhile, but my new love is black cherry diet rite. YUM! It's zero everything but taste!