Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 09:00 PM   #46  

Greetings!

Nica, you are SOOOOO right about public eating when you're overweight. God Forbid anyone look over at my plate and have any reason to think "Geez, what a pig" I refrained from picnics yesterday and made myself a nice OP dinner. I was actually stuffed.

Congrats to everyone who lost. I did not find another meeting to compensate for my cancelled one, so I'll be interested to see how I do over a two-week span.

Talk to you all soon, and have a great weekend!

Jill
Old 07-05-2001, 09:30 PM   #47  
Failure is NOT an Option!

Default Hello!

Dinah -- Great job on the 4 pound loss!

Nica - for TOM and not journaling, I'd say a 1 pound loss is a HUGE success!!! Good for you!

Jill, Taunia and Karolyn: Hope you all had a great holiday.

Hello to Everyone!

For the Fourth of July, I starved myself and banked my entire days points for our cook out. I'm sure I still went over on my points, but not too awful. Didn't even attempt at totaling them with everyone's creative recipes. Anyway, the food was wonderful, but I felt terrible after eating it all. (Bloated, gassy !!)

Tuesday wasn't much better for me. A friend from work and I drove to Indianapolis after work on Tuesday (3 hour drive) to see another friend who's little boy is in Riley's Childrens Hospital due to some major surgery that he had to have done. They expect to be there about 2 months, so we wanted to help the time go a bit faster for at least one evening. We ended up taking Laurie (friend with the sick child) out to dinner at TGIFridays. The three of us joined WW together in April, so with Laurie having a rough time, Lisa (other friend) and I decided that we would blow off WW for this one night and have a couple Ultimate Mudslides!

So, anyway . . . Today I was back OP with GUSTO!!! I am actually relieved to be back in the saddle because two days of not being OP has really reaked havoc on my stomach. Has this happened to anyone else? I feel sooooo much better not eating all that garbage, that now I want to stay on the straight and narrow. WOW, who would have ever thought that would happen to ME!

Tried on bathing suits the other day. . . OH MY! I know I have lost 23 pounds, but my butt has planned and pulled off a revolt against me that you wouldn't believe. Thank goodness I'm not where I was on April 3rd or I could have easily become suicidal! You can believe that I'll be exercising like a fool this week!

Well, I'm rambling yet again, so I guess I will close for now and check back in a day or two! Hope everyone does great and remember, FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!
Old 07-05-2001, 10:14 PM   #48  

Default Greetings from Ottawa!

Good evening ladies!

I've been lurking the past few days and reading some of your posts.

Funny that everyone reacted to what Karolyn wrote about keeping her weight loss efforts to herself - even though we may feel differently about it, it struck a chord for most of us. Personally, I chose not to tell anyone (except one best friend) about joining weight watchers until after I had lost 25 pounds. At that point, I was so excited I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. Of course now that all my friends and co-workers know, everyone asks for updates on Wednesday afternoons (I weigh in at an "at work" meeting wednesdays at noon). Usually, I'm excited to share my progress but everyone once in a while I get a little paranoid and start to think people are "keeping track" and for a fleeting moment I'm sorry I ever told anyone. Anyone else feel that way?

toad4mimi - I totally understand what you mean about junk food making you feel yucky!!! I used to eat poutine regularly - it's this French-Canadian thing where we take french fries, top them with a combination of cheese curds and/or shredded cheese and add gravy to melt the cheese. It's a gooey, greasy mess. Anyways, I used to eat this stuff regularly and now, just the thought of it makes my stomach turn - although I still crave it once in a while. I think I must by crazy!

I don't know about you ladies but I think this whole WW thing is about control. The greatest reward for me has been the feeling of control over what I eat - how I "spend" my points, how I "earn" extra points, how I make-up for my little transgressions by cutting back or moving more on other days. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, I'm having a really hard time with exercise. I get up at 6:00 a.m., get myself and my kids ready for the day. We leave the house around 7:00. I drop them off before work and we don't get home again until about 5:30 p.m. at which time I have to get busy making supper. Then we eat, they have their baths, hubby and I clean up, we put the kids to bed - usually around 8:00 or 8:30. By this time, I have absolutely no desire to exercise.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?

I know that exercise will be a key factor in helping get and keep my weight down. I just can't seem to find the time or the energy to do it!! Please help!!! (Maybe I should be sending a copy of this post to Richard Simmons Ha! Ha!)

Anyways, I'm rambling so I'll just say good night now. Good night everyone. Hope you have a good Friday and an even better weekend!
Old 07-06-2001, 06:16 PM   #49  

Question want to join...

Hi everyone! I've been reading all the messages in this forum and I'm glad I'm not the only 30 something wanting to lose weight. I had my first child this past March (13th - had a sweet little baby boy named Nicholas Daniel). I am pretty down on myself - it looks like I've been hit by a mack truck (esp. tummy) and hard to get a handle on my eating with the fatigue and nursing. Hope it is okay to join you folks. You seem like a great group. Assuming it is okay, here is my info.

Name: Lisa
Hometown: Boise, Idaho
Children: New baby son, Nicholas, born 3/13/01
Hobbies: Reading, Sleeping, Sleeping , Eating (argh), you get the picture!
Weight Loss Program: Been on WW several times - want to rejoin
How long: Not officially started
Start weight: 210 (was 248 when I had my son)
Now weight: 210
Goal weight: 136
What's worked the most for you: I need to get started and I'm anxious.
Ultimate reward when goal is reached: to get into a bathingsuit and not feel self conscious. To BE healthier and have more energy.

Good luck everyone!!! I'll be lurking around in here - gives me a boost!!! Thanks!
Old 07-07-2001, 07:13 AM   #50  

Default Just killing time

Welcome Newmom2nick - Good for you for wanting to get to work on the weight so soon after the birth of your son. Mine turns 3 today and I only got serious about it last month . Be sure to follow a program that takes into account that you are a nursing mother.... you do have special nutritional needs right now.

Diane in Ottawa - I am also in Ottawa and find it difficult to find time to excercise... maybe we should chat - if we don't live too far away from each other we may be able to buddy up with a walking program or something. I'm in centretown. If you think its a plausible plan, give me a shout on my e-mail [email protected]

Everyone else - Keep up the amazing work! You are all so inspirational. Whenever I want to cheat (myself), I get online, read a few posts and immediately regain my resolve. Thanks all!

Later!

196.5/188/145
Old 07-07-2001, 04:59 PM   #51  

Thumbs down Thanks!

Thank you Dinah196! I am so glad I decided to join this group. My resolve grows with each message I read (whether directed towards me or not).

Sometimes the challenge of losing weight is a lonely and discouraging one, but with the support of this group and WW I know I can do it.

I don't know what the nursing plan/points are so if anyone knows, can they clue me in?

Also, if anyone has tried any tasty recipes lately, please share. I'm particularly interested in grilling so any marinades or seasoning suggestions for grilling vegies or fish/chicken would be super! After almost 9 years of marriage my husband (who never has liked vegetables) told me he loves them grilled! Good news for a WW gal!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Old 07-09-2001, 02:13 PM   #52  

Hi group,

I seem to hit my plateau. I weight myself every morning ( even though weight watchers says not to) I do not let it effect my eating during the day I just like to know how I am doing. I have lost 35.8 pounds in 14 weeks. I have 29.2 to go until goal weight. For the last 6 days I have been at the same weight. I increased my exercise yesterday. Any ideas to get beyond this plateau
Old 07-09-2001, 03:02 PM   #53  

Angry just an idea...

Hi Tracey,

Almost 36 lbs. in 14 weeks is incredible - congratulations to you! You inspire me!

I know when I was OP before, the best remedy for some people was to - you are not going to believe this - increase your daily points just a couple points. For instance, if you are eating at the very bottom of your range, try eating more toward the middle or alternate days of eating at the bottom and middle of your range.

For some reason, this works for some folks. If your body thinks you are going into starvation mode, it will not let go of the fat and tries to store it.

Now, take this with a grain of salt because it is second hand - I never really tried it myself although I notice I lose more if I don't go too low.

You might give it a shot. Also, chances are if you wait it out a couple weeks while your body adjusts to your new weight you'll start to see some more progress.

All my best of luck to you. I am keeping my journal and drinking my water and so far this week (ha ha) I'm doing great!

Have a great week!

Lisa

210/210/136

P.S. One other thing that used to hang folks up (on a plateau) was not getting their "milk" in. For some reason the milk products help - could you maybe going too low on fat?
Old 07-09-2001, 07:22 PM   #54  

i do tend to go low in my range i did get the max number a few times this week. i heard the same thing. Thank you I am just afraid to try it I am not hungry but dont want to train my body to crave more. I will try it. I get my milk in by eating milk products like fat free ice cream and milk in cereal.

If you feel like chatting I have aol, yahoo, and msn or email me at [email protected]

Ty for the tips
Old 07-09-2001, 08:30 PM   #55  

Hi Ladies,

My weigh in today was disappointing but not a huge surprise. Only .2. I guess I chart it as a loss after a very bad week (good until the 4th bad after that). I have got to figure out how to deal with my stress eating and sweet cravings. I can say no to everything but sweets. I completely lost it on Saturday with cookies but I guess I need to not deprive myself. I usually exercise daily, but for only 30 minutes. I didn't get a chance to do it last week because of work (stress). I also need to push myself harder. I do moderate at best.

I love reading everyones remarks and tips - it is really motivating. I am really trying hard to have a minimum of 1 lb. for next Monday but I would really love to see 2 lbs.

I saw Pam's weights (I think ) of 164.5 then 141.5!! I dream of that! Right now I am at 168.6 and even 164 seems like forever away, but to think that I could actually get down to 141.5 WOW!!
I have not been 141.5 in over 6 years. I weighed in for my 1st prenatal check, 8 weeks pregnant at 142! I literally dream about even getting into the 150's.

I wish I could stop sabotaging my efforts. What a learning experience this has been. I keep telling myself that maybe this time I will actually learn how to be for the rest of my life.

Have a great week everyone - any loss is a good one
Old 07-11-2001, 05:46 PM   #56  
Failure is NOT an Option!

Welcome New Friends!!!!

Lisa, congratulations on your new little boy! I happen to be very partial to boys, myself! Don't get me started on my two, or I'll never shut up!

Nica, you'll get there, just be patient and NEVER give up. When I am having a weak moment(s) I have a little mantra that I say to myself. If there are some chocolate chip cookies that my skinny little sister has just brought over for my kids and I REALLY REALLY REALLY want one, I tell myself: "I will not be defeated by this cookie." For some reason giving myself power over the problem is really empowering. Believe it or not, this mantra has actually helped me a number of times. When I feel like I'm going nowhere, like the last two weeks, I just remember where I was on April 3rd (164!) I have lost almost 23 pounds, so instead of quitting, I look ahead to three months from now. I wonder where I will be!?! Anyway, hang in there!

I could type all night, but have to go to a baseball game. Will check back again soon. Until then, I hope everyone stays happy and OP!
Old 07-11-2001, 06:54 PM   #57  

I just got home from weigh and lost 1.8 pounds which totals 37.6 in 15 weeks. I have 28 more pounds to reach goal weight. I just love this program. I do not feel deprived at all. This message board is very good. I love to read that other people go through the same struggles that I do
Old 07-11-2001, 11:16 PM   #58  

Hi Everyone!

I had my Weigh-In tonight and wanted to report my results. I lost another 7.4 pounds in the past two weeks. I was really pleased with myself and wanted to share my happiness with my new friends.

Nica, I know what you mean about sabotaging yourself. Always before I would come up with any little excuse to not stick to whatever diet I was on. Then I'd beat myself up and pretty much give up. We all know that cycle. Tracey's right, though. I don't feel particularly deprived on WW. Of course, I weigh a lot, so I'm still allowed more points than many of you. Not for long, though. Not for long

Nice work this week, Tracey.

Gotta go bask in my post-meeting euphoria. Aren't those kinds of weigh-ins great?

Have wonderful weekends everyone!

Jill

140ish
Old 07-12-2001, 07:17 AM   #59  

Great job u have a lot to be happy for keep up the great work.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:54 PM   #60  

Thanks for the support you guys. I'll get it. I know that it will come off and that part of the learning I have to go through is the "process" of weight loss and habit change. Not just winging it. That is what prevented me from losing before and exactly why I came to WW this time so that I could have some structure.

One of the ladies at WW mentioned a mantra of sorts as well. She says it helps her get into a more rational state. When there is something offered that she wants (like your skinny sister's cookies ) She tells herself "There will always be cookies tomorrow." She said she would get a sense of almost urgency like if I don't take one now they might be gone. I have that same thign from time to time, especially when it is a treat that I normally don't have.

Sweets are what I crave endlessly. If anyone has tips I would appreciate it. I have had the WW2pt bars but they don't really satisfy me. I was told the Kudos granola bars are 2 pts. I am going to check those out at the store Saturday.

Welcome NewMom!! I'm partial to boys too !

I love this thread as well. It is so motivating to see if I follow the process I will suceed.

Thanks everyone - we can all do this together!!

Have a great Friday - Hooray
Closed Thread