Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 06:14 PM   #1  

Talking

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, jump on in and join us! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome!
Old 05-13-2001, 06:25 PM   #2  

Default HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!

Hi all- I hope it's been a good weekend for everyone, and a Happy Mothers Day for the moms in our little group.
I had a very enjoyable day. My exdh took us all to a nice restaurant - it's an old house that was made into restaurant many years ago, and it has a number of small rooms, complete with fireplaces and high ceilings and victorian decor. And the food was wonderful!! I went for the grilled salmon over asparagus with a baked potato- and I did indulge myself with a cup of the most wonderful cream of crab soup I've ever tasted!! And the little guy was very good- always a worry with a 16 month old in a "good" restaurant!!
Saara, welcome back, and I'm glad you enjoyed May Day. Do you all celebrate Mother's Day this weekend in Finland too? I know they don't in England. I'm glad you still may have a placement over here for next year! I'll keep my fingers crossed!! I know nothing about the University of Utah- or anything else in Utah, for that matter!!: It's supposed to be a beautiful state, though!
Have a good op Monday, and the start of a great week. Talk to you all tomorrow.
Carol
Old 05-14-2001, 10:32 AM   #3  

Hi girls! Sorry to have been away for a few days. I had a spell of vertigo last week and missed 2 days of work. Was nice to be home but would have liked it better if the circumstances were a bit more desirable. Anyway, its all over now and I am back to work. DD received her Master's Degree Friday night - finally! For the first time since she was 5 years old, she will not be enrolled in school this fall. What a concept. Not unlike those of you with Seniors who are leaving their high school days forever! Grad was nice - but long - and ex-dh & his wife were there. He was really on very good behavior for the ceremony & dinner afterwards so there were no incidents to report - although I noticed at the restaurant there were three people seated between he and I so that we were basically at opposites ends of one side of a long table. Good thinking on dd's part!
He will be back on Friday for future sil's grad from the Police Academy but is leaving Sat am early - so hopefully we will have another peaceful 24 hours. Then I think he will not be back until the wedding in October.

Jan - Your activities are sure picking up with the end of school in site! Congrats on your loss this week. I know how you feel about supporting WW for the rest of your life. I have been supporting WW for 2 years now. When my last card ran out the first of May, I didn't buy another. I will try to do this on my own for a few months and see if I can. If I can't, I will go back & buy another membership card.

Carol - I know you and I have discussed this before. But as far as dating & marriage at this stage in my life - No Thank You! Doesn't mean I can't appreciate "window shopping" as Liz & Janet mentioned - just don't want to bring one home again to keep! I spent 20 years of my life being married to ex-dh and that was plenty long enough, believe me. Of course, those of you girls who have wonderful husbands probably don't understand the mindset of those of us who made bad husband choices! Just a few hours spent around ex-dh this week-end made me realize how fortunate I am now! But good luck with your injections. I think ex-dh had something like that recently and it helped him a lot, too, according to dd.

JOYce - I am so glad that you are on the road to recovery. Unfortunately it is true that those of us who are "age challenged" have a little harder time re-grouping after almost anything! That's cute about Melissa and her boyfriend - and see, I KNEW she wouldn't mind those driving errands!

Saara - I am glad there is still a glimmer of hope for your assignment to the U.S. Don't know anything about Univ of Utah - but being there for the Olympics would be so cool! Let us know when you hear.

Stamps - Hope you are feeling better now. I have been so lucky as far as colds are concerned this year. I don't think I have had a single one. But summer colds always seem worse than winter ones. Take care of yourself.

Patti - Thanks for the tux info. The guys have not gone shopping for the ones they will wear in the wedding but I at least now have some idea of what they are looking at! All that money just to RENT! Amazing! I have seen both Riverdance and Lord of the Dance and both were fantastic! I highly recommend. Have a friend who has been to Beau Rivage and she says its gorgeous! Happy Anniversary.

Janet - Sorry about ex-dh problems! When our divorce decree was written (dd was only about 12 at the time), I made sure it contained language that said he would pay for half of her college as long as she maintained a B average - up until she was 25. It didn't take that long for her to get her undergrad degree and he did pay. Sometimes I had to put him on a payment plan which means I had to come up with the funds up front - but he did eventually come up with the $$. College is so expensive. I sure hope you can get some funds out of him. That stinks about the car too - all these problems makes you remember why you divorced, doesn't it? Sounds like you are about the "stir the pot" if you are getting a hearing. Good luck.

I have rambled on forever. Hope I didn't miss anyone. My heart goes out to those of you who have already lost your Moms. I am blessed to still have mine. She is 85 now and does remarkably well although she has many bad days. I was able to spend several hours with her yesterday but we didn't go out anywhere - too much of an effort for her - but we enjoyed our sandwiches and time!
Old 05-14-2001, 12:56 PM   #4  

Saara, that's great news about the Utah possibility; will keep fingers crossed for you! Utah is a beautiful state, very dramatic desert scenery and mountains. I had a cousin who lived in Moab, and when we visited him, he took us up in his plane over the Green River and Arches National Park. It was spectacular! And going during the Olympics will just make it more interesting. Good luck!

Texaslady, so sorry to hear you weren't feeling well, but glad you're better. I know what you mean about those ww cards; they're pretty expensive! I think that with all your expertise and determination, you'll do fine on your own. Are you planning to join for the last little bit, though, to get the free lifetime membership?

JOYce, what great news about your doctor's visit & surgery; so glad it turned out to be easier on you than you anticipated. Sure hope you're able to rest now, and make some fun plans for summer.

Carol, the luncheon sounded lovely; and of course your little darlin' was a good boy! I love restaurants like that. There's one in Kerrville (the hill country) that sounds a lot like that one. Great atmosphere! Re: my sister in Florida, you're right, she's not the PT. She's a retired flight attendant and artist. And yes, wouldn't it be fun if we could all meet in Florida some day! She's not far from your second home in Ocala.

This weekend flew by; got a little done, but it never seems to be enough. Oh well! Will just have to keep on plugging away. Bought some new cross trainers Friday, dh also bought the same kind; didn't realize I needed new walking shoes until I felt what a difference they made on my morning walks! The salesperson said you're supposed to get new shoes every six months (yeah, sure) so I guess my 12-year-old Reeboks were a little overdue for replacement!! These new ones are a brand called New Balance, which a friend's doctor recommended.

Hi to Liz, Rebecca, Stamps, and Patti; hope your week is off to a great start!
Regards,
Jan
Old 05-14-2001, 05:13 PM   #5  
Inchworm

Good day to all!
I had my first big 'post-op' outing on Saturday. we had our ladies tea at church, one of those things that I usually am in charge of... the "pre-work" was done, and I just let everybody else do it! How different to just sit and enjoy! it was a lovely tea, catered by a lovely lady from England, who makes all the sandwiches and sweets, herself. I had made all the centerpieces, favors and awards before I got sick. My co-chairman asked if I wanted to present the awards, but I said NO!, didn't do a thing! The don't really believe yet, that I am stepping down.
I had a lovely Mother's day, my son was here since the fishing trip was interrupted by trailer trouble. It was so nice to have him beside me in church. He is a towering 6'5". so it was easy to show him off
a daughter came by for a visit, and the other 2 kids called, so 100%!! Most precious was a note from the granddaughter in the USAF, who lived with us for 8 yrs. She has really grown up, and expressed her appreciation and understanding for all that we have been thru together.<<<<sigh>>>>>It all pays off in the end.
Melissa had a wonderful time at her prom, I still haven't seen her long enuf to get all the details! Maybe tonight.

For those of you thinking New Orleans, I will be there the last weekend in Sept. this year. Come on down!

~~~

Joyce

Last edited by gmalil; 05-14-2001 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2001, 05:50 PM   #6  

Hi everyone! We've sure been a quiet group for the past day or so!
Texaslady, I'm so sorry to hear about your vertigo!! That is such a nasty feeling!! Did you go to the doctor to see what caused it? I sure hope it's gone for good! Please give your dd my congratulations on receiving her Master's Degree! I know how proud you are of her- and rightly so! I chuckled at your "don't want to bring one home to keep" comment. I know your mom rally enjoyed your Mother's Day visit- after all, it's who you're with, not where you are that makes a day special!
Jan, I wear New Balance to work, and got them on the advice of a physical therapist I saw for my back a year or so ago. You don't suppose the shoe salesman has a hidden motive for recommending shoe replacement every 6 months, do you? I have a pair or 2 that are probably older than some of our "50 or more" members!
Joyce, how are you feeling by now? Wasn't it fun to for once actually enjoy the tea instead of running yourself ragged worrying about everyone else? You should spend more time on the receiving end like that! My mom used to refer to letting someone pamper her as being treated like "Mrs. Astor's pet horse"! How wonderful that your gd put her love and appreciation for you down on paper! I know you will always treasure that note. Don't forget to post some of Melissa's prom pictures!!

My dd's weigh in was today- down another 1.5 pounds, despite our Mom's Day feast!! YAY!!!!

Well, I apologize for not addressing everyone today, but I have to run. Have a great evening, everyone.
Carol
Old 05-16-2001, 10:26 AM   #7  

Hi Ladies,

Well, my weigh in went o.k. down another 1.6 lbs. But I have something on my mind that is really bothering me and bringing me down to where I can hardly enjoy the graduation festivities.

Now I know this is going to get personal, but I feel like I can talk to you ladies and if any of you have gone through this already maybe you can share some info. Last month of course for the first time, I did not write down the exact date of my TOM. Now this month I am trying to figure it out and I think I am either at 29 or 30 days. It could be a little more or a little less. I think I remember last month thinking that it was 28 days when that one started and that was a little longer than normal for me. It kind of felt like it was gonna start this weekend --- but nothing. Now, I don't have any other problems - no pain or anything. I think (I hope anyway) that I can rule out the pregnancy issue, because DH had a vasectomy over 2 years ago, so I and my friends and the girl at my OB/GYN office when I called to make an appointment (not until 6/11) think it is probably the beginning of perimenopause. I am going to be 44 in November and that is about the right age. Have any of you gone through this? I'm just a really worry wart and automatically think I have a life threatening illness. I have my yearly checkups regularly, I'm a little late with it this year but not by much. I've never had any problems like cysts or anything. I know y'all are not doctors, but any ideas? Boy, but this perimenopause thing is really inconvenient isn't it. You never know when - just have to always be prepared. But I'll be glad once they are all over for good.

Thanks for listening though. I'm going to still have a good time this weekend. I feel really good, just some anxiety......

I'll be back later and will be my normal, cheerful self----I promise!!!

Patti
Old 05-16-2001, 04:51 PM   #8  
50+ pound loser

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Just a quick note to let you all know that I made it to my meeting this week! And I am down another 3.2 pounds. My goal is within my reach, still a small light at the end of the tunnel, but it is starting to get visible. I am down 42.4 pounds since November and I still have a "weigh" to go! But I can look at this as the beginning of my life journey! Right?

Okay, gotta run. Sorry so short, will stop by again soon!

Have a great day everyone!!

Rebecca
Old 05-17-2001, 07:37 AM   #9  

Morning everyone

sorry about not posting but this week has taken a life of it's own and have not even had time to sign on and read anything until today. And I had to get to work an extra 1/2 ahead of time (and I am usually here an hour early anyway due to that obnoxious gene I have that makes it impossible for me to be late for anything. And I kind of enjoy the quiet and get a lot of my paperwork done) anyway, I digress.....

I just wanted to say hi to everyone and reply to Patti about the perimenopause. I went menopausal very early (late 30's). My cliniician was not concerned, she said that 35-55 is the age range. As a matter of fact, I was the last one of my friends to go through it. Other than the realization about the no kids issue, I didn't even notice it. Never had sweats, weight comes off a little slower, but in general not a big thing for me.

The only thing I did have to decide was about hormonal replacement since I have masses in my breast that we are keeping an eye on, so I am not a candidate for it. I do try to eat soy and other isoflavenoids but I really don't notice when I don't take them so I can't say whether they have helped or not.

I hope this helps...gotta run...miss you all

Liz
Old 05-17-2001, 12:56 PM   #10  

JOYce, so glad that you are doing so well! And a big congrats on letting others take on more responsibility at church! 'Atta girl! How sweet of your dg to write that note; I'm like Carol, I know you'll treasure it. (Sometimes when I'm feeling blue, I look at some of the notes my ex-students and co-workers have sent thru the years, and that always cheers me up! It also reminds me to write notes TO the many people who have been so good to me...) Last week in September, huh? That sounds great; I'm going to try for that! Maybe we can meet somewhere for lunch or a boat ride? Anyone else free that weekend?

Carol, thanks for the info on New Balance; that's good to know. And we thought the same thing, they were hoping for return business in 6 months!! So happy for your DD with her 1.5 loss; that's terrific. I know you are thrilled for her; knowing what a difference it has made in your own life, of course you want the same for your dd!

Patti, 1.6 pounds gone, way to GO!! Re: perimenopause, sounds like you are going through the normal beginning of that; it started for me about the same age. And yes, it's annoying not knowing when TOM is going to happen, but it won't last forever! The other symptoms came and went as well, though I chose not to take hormones because of family history. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Rebecca, what a great loss! Wow, over 42 pounds since November; you really are staying with it! And I agree, it is a journey, and a lifelong change in habits, attitude and behavior. Coming to that realization has made all the difference! (Have you read the book Thin for Life? You remind me so much of the weight loss "masters" in the book, people Dr. Fletcher interviewed, who had lost and maintained over the long term.)

Liz, sounds like you are really busy lately! I know what you mean about a schedule taking on a life of its own, and taking over all your time; this week has been that way for me too, and judging by the traffic in here, for most of us!

Thank goodness this crazy week is almost over! It's funny, I guess since I knew it would be this way, I tried a little harder to stay OP in spite of it all. Yesterday was esp. hard. I drove our technology team to a conference (they were asked to present, because their project was so great!) but had to skip the luncheon to drive one of them back home, as she felt ill. (She's better today.) Anyway, was *so* hungry by late afternoon, no chance to find anything remotely healthful to eat, and there were all these incredible cookies everywhere. One of the group brought a bunch of them back to the van to eat on the way home (over an hour drive). So, I had *one* cookie (5 points), counted it in my journal as lunch, and stayed OP. In my former life, I would have had several, and then stopped at a 7-11 to get a sandwich and chips as well. No wonder I was a size 24!

Hope everyone gets through Thursday ok ... what are y'all planning for the weekend?

Regards,
Jan
Old 05-17-2001, 02:11 PM   #11  

Hi Girls,

Well I've come to the conclusion that I have just skipped my TOM, and I have also come to the conclusion that it is perimenopause, but I am going to the dr. in a couple of weeks to confirm. I feel wonderful though!!

My son's graduation mass is tomorrow morning, prom tomorrow night....then I have a crawfish boil for my office to go to on Saturday....Sunday to just relax - crafting and painting hopefully (do any of you do the Donna Dewberry One Stroke Painting? I love it!!!). Then, Monday night is graduation. Whew....I'm tired just talking about it....

TexasLady - I hope you are feeling all better now. I know what you mean about the ex showing up at graduation. My son's father will be there on Monday with his lovely wife. They haven't seen me in awhile so I am secretly looking forward to it - not that I'll be gloating or anything like that you know!!!! But I am quite a bit slimmer than they remember I'm sure. He hardly ever calls my son (he lives in Alabama) and he just loves to come in for milestone occasions and make his grand entrance like he is the wonderful, loving father! GAG!!!! But my son is waaaay to wise to him to fall for any of that. And I'm so glad you got to spend time with your Mom - treasure her as I'm sure you already do.

Joyce - Glad Melissa had a great time at the Prom. Just tell me when everyone wants to get together when you come and I'll be there. Sounds fun!!!

Rebecca - Great weigh in!! You are doing wonderful!!

Liz - Thanks for the reply. I'm feeling less worried now because everyone seems to agree. I had my very first TOM when I was 9!!! I'm READY for them to stop any time now!!!

JanetMae - September sounds great to me. Just let me know when and where!! Thanks for your opinion on my problem. I have stopped worrying and I'm just gonna enjoy feeling good and enjoy my son's graduation. My step-daughter is graduating Tuesday night. I wasn't going to go as she sent the invitation in her Dad's name only, but my husband is begging me to go. I guess I will just for him. She just contantly gets a "dig" in at me every chance she gets. Oh well, I guess that will never change. Oh by the way - great job on handling those cookies! It is pretty amazing what a lifestyle change we are making. I still have not had one sip of a soft drink since I started in March and I'm not sure I would even like them anymore if I did try one!!

Well, hello to everyone I didn't mention and I probably won't be back until Monday, but hope you all have a great weekend.

Take care,
Patti
Old 05-17-2001, 05:54 PM   #12  

Hi everyone. I hope the week's going okay.
Patti, congrats on the 1.6 pound loss, and on your avoidance of the sodas for all this time!!! Enjoy graduatiionon Monday- and go armed with plenty of Kleenex!
Rebecca, WOW- 3.2 pounds and a 42.4 total! That's awesome!!! You've really got this nutritional lifestyle down pat!!
Liz, I too am cursed with the same "obnoxious gene"- I absolutely can't stand to be late, even by a minute! I always say I'll be early for my own funeral!
Jan, congrats on handling the temptayions your busy week rought forth in such admirable fashion! Not that I am surprised, having met you and seen how wonderful you look.
Texaslady, I'm getting woried about your absence the past few days again- I hope you aren'y fighting the vertigo again!
Janet, I hope you too are feeling better, and that you didn't go back to work too quickly.
Joyce, how are you coming along? I hope you are continuing to rest and delegate, even though I know how hard that must be for you!!!
Saara, any news on the possible Utah placement? How's the job going?
Stamps, where are you?

Well, I hate to miss a good time, but I'm afraid September just won't be doable for me- just too tight financially, especially with Christmas only a few months behind it. But I'll try to make the next one.
My dd stopped in at my office today with my little sweetie- she had just come from getting him his first haircut. AWWWWW. He looked so cute!!!
This weekend I have babysitting duty a couple times and a few errands to run, but other than that, nothing special. It's suposed to rain off and on through the weekend here anyway.
I'd better run. Have a good Friday, everyone.
Carol
Old 05-18-2001, 07:23 AM   #13  

Morning everyone!

Jan: I am so excited for you only having one cookie! I still have the "if a red light food appears it must be a miracle and wh am I to refuse a miracle?" attitude. Because we are so busy, we couldn't take lunch away from our desks to the company bought us lunch the last two days. Yesterday was pizza, which is my biggest red light food. Needless to say I did not stop with one slice.Sigh, today is another day.

Patti: have fun at the graduation this weekend. But you can keep those crawfish! reminds me of eating bugs! Definetly not a red light food for me.

I agree with you Carol. They do look so cute with their hair newly cut.

gotta run. Hi to everyone I missed. TGIF!!

Liz
Old 05-18-2001, 12:35 PM   #14  
Inchworm

Good morning!

JAN! 1 cookie!, not in my vocabulary! Congrats!

Hearing Liz's description of crawfish, makes me even more curious about the little critters!
I was looking at sample menus from N.O. menus last night,and saw on one of them that crawfish have a 'season'....will they be 'in season' when I am there in Sept-Oct??
I didn't see any season restrictions on gator bits!
Do they really taste like chicken?

Patti, I had never heard of Donna's Onestroke, but yesterday after reading your post, I saw her on QVC! I was just channel surfing while sitting her at the computer and there she was demonstrating her technique! I used to do a lot of tole painting, but do mostly ceramice things now.
I know it is an exciting weekend for you with all your graduation events....have fun!
Jan is helping to make plans for a get together in New Orleans, in Sept, check your PM for details. Anybody else that can come, let us know and we wil give you the details.
I must get OP, now! to be ready for this, you are all such great success stories!!

It is doggie bath day, so must get ready to take her..
I put her pix on my Homepage,(with great grands)..
I also put up some prom pictures.

Have a great day, and weekend! time is flying!

~~~

Joyce
Old 05-18-2001, 03:13 PM   #15  

Hi girls! Just wanted to let you know I am still around - just have been incredibly busy this week - as it sounds like most of us are!

Wow, New Orleans sounds great but I am unable to commit right now. DD's wedding is that next month and, of course, September-October is homecoming mum time for me too. Will have to see how it goes and let you guys know later. Sure sounds like fun, though.

Jan - I am so proud of you and your "cookie" lunch! Not much nutritionally - but pretty good point-wise!! New Balance is really a good brand of shoes. My ex-dh is (or rather was before his heart surgery) a marathoner and he swears by them. That's all he will let my dd wear - of course, she is as much an exercise freak as he is.

Patti - I went through menopause at about your age too. My TOM just skipped around for a while and then gradually stopped - I remember it being feast or famine, though, if you know what I mean (oh, and I also remember the hot flashes!). I never had any trouble otherwise and was sure glad when they stopped completely! I choose to think of it as a declaration of freedom. I can really identify with the ex-husband routine. I always picture mine as coming in with "guns blazing". He comes with extragvagant gifts, etc for whatever the occasion at hand and makes a really big splash. But, like your son, my dd is wise to him. Enjoy all the grad festivities.

Joyce - I am so glad you seem to be doing so well. As for crawfish (or "mud bugs" as they are affectionally called around here) - well, they aren't my favorite thing to eat. I think its the visual thing ! Never had gator - but I think Carol did the last time she went to Florida. I am sure she will fill you in on the taste.

Rebecca - WOW! 42 pounds is just terrific. You have such a good mind-set about this weight loss stuff. I just know you are going to make your goal. Congratulations.

Carol - Thanks for the e-mail. I am OK - just busy. I was thinking about your little Florida house. Will you be able to get down there anytime soon? Is it currently rented? I hope so as that must help with the payments. Boy, this Grandma duty is a hard job, isn't it - but SOMEBODY has to do it!!! "lol" Give him a hug for me, too.

Liz - Pizza is a huge red-light food for me too! Besides the calories, it is full of cheese - which doesn't set too well with me. Despite everything, I will eat it just the same! What is WRONG with me! That's like putting your hand into the fire when you know its hot! O well, I just do my best not to be around it - out of sight, but not always out of mind!

Gotta go. DD's fiance is graduating from the police academy tonight. He did get the assignment he desired and begins his new job Monday morning - 6 AM! (will works different shifts for the next 6 months - changing every 3 weeks). We are so proud of him, but we are apprehensive, too. Guess that's part of the territory and we need to learn how to deal with it.

Everyone have a great week-end. Will check in again later.

Last edited by texaslady; 05-18-2001 at 03:18 PM.
Closed Thread