Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:11 PM   #16  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all: I finally made up my mind that the BP medication is causing me to gain weight. I read all the side effects, and that is one of them. 10lbs since I started taking it. I am not a happy camper, so made an appointment to see the Dr. this week and see what he says. I have not been 'bad' and try to stick to the program. So to just get on the scale and see the weight keep going up is frustrating, and aggravating, and makes me downright mad. If I had been goofing off all the time, i could understand it and accept it and just be mad at myself. But that has not been the case. So we'll see what he says. Now enough whining.

That is a good recipe for a party or covered dish affair, or just for your family. I have never figured out the points, but it must be low. Maybe one of you clever ones can put a points value on it.

Hi everyone. 'See' you tomorrow. Ann
Old 05-11-2004, 07:54 AM   #17  

Hi All,

I was here the other day and had a post ready to go and got booted off. Didn't have to time to go and do it over. It takes me forever to get on this site. I lose patience waiting for it to load. I think I need a new computer.

Glad you all had a nice Mother's Day. Trudy hugs to you for your first one without your mom, I know that had to be hard.

Slavika your bracelet sounds cute. I have never seen that kind. I love those DQ cakes or anything from there.

Maria your tales from Manila are very interesting. You could put all your travels stories in a book and publish it. Have fun shopping. I love all those fake knockoff things. My fake rolex lasted for a long time. Finally the battery quit and they couldn't replace it here. I loved it.

Ann I got a purple azalea for Mother's Day. I have some white ones here and I would like to move a few of them to the new house.

The realtor is supposed to come tonight with the contract to sell. Sure hope someone wants to buy it. It is quite small-we will see.

Have to go do some laundry. Got behind yesterday cause I had to work in the school cafeteria and then we had a dinner engagement. It was liver lovers dinner at someones house.

Marnie how did you do at WW this week? Last week I finally lost 3 but very possibly gained some back this week. Tomorrow will tell. Good luck.

Last edited by painter5; 05-11-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:59 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Smile Happy Tuesday, All

First of all: I AM APPALLED at the way the American soldiers are treating the Iraqi prisoners of war! I'm embarassed and saddened by this outrageous punishment.

I'm not sure I'd want to go to Manila, but I sure enjoyed looking at your photos, Maria. Thank you.

I'm glad all you "mother's" had a great holiday - I did, too. I did indulge in a sliver of cheese cake and a cupcake (I think I told you sugar is my downfall!). But that was it. Otherwise I had a great week On Program/Point. My main focus now is not beating myself up if I've "cheated."

Glenda I hope the Dr. can take you off the BP medication, or reduce the dosage. It's a bummer that it causes weight increase.

Karen hope you've over the sinus problem. DH suffers during the spring when everything starts blooming.

Peggy (since you asked, and I hope you're sitting down), when I weighed in yesterday, I was -7! I even stunned myself. I followed, as closely as I could, the menu suggestions in Book One of the WW program.

Trudy sorry your computer is on the fritz. Hope it's working real soon.

Ann, Slavika and Lily hope you're all fine.

BTW, DS gave me a tape player for Mother's Day (a walkman type); I will use it as my exercise increases. I don't mind walking outside, now that the days are turning nice.

Later - Marnie

Old 05-11-2004, 08:22 PM   #19  

G'day all,

Another morning after a happy 'hour' last night
We did have fun and even had a bit of a dance that we have not done for a very long time.
DH looked very snazzy in his fake Marlborough jeans (2 pairs for AUS$20)
We had nver heard of the Marborough brand but I spotted the real mcCoy at considerably more than the $20 we paid!
I bought a very funky bag yesterday, an Italian leather bag, difficult to explain so I will take a picture to show you.
I probaqbly could have bought a dozen fake Louis Vuiton bags for the same price but I really liked this bag.

I am going back to the markets with all the fakes today on my own.

I will come back later and tell you of my bargains

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 PM   #20  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Everyone:
Maria: Great pictures. and you will have lots of fun at the 'fake' market. Just think how you can 'impress' everyone with your purchases.:

Peggy: you sound very busy with your moving process. I don't ever want to have to move again. But I imagine that is something that could happen - who knows.

Marnie: I think we are all appalled at bad judgement and wrongful behavior. And now innocent people are going to pay for this. Just today a horror with a young man. I get unhappy sometimes with the 'public right to know'. sometimes I think that is just a ploy for journalists to get the sensational stories. And my personal feeling is that they often reveal too much, always trying to get someone to leak classified information, etc. Okay guess I'll get off my soapbox now. Just irritated with the whole mess.

Hi everyone- 'See' you tomorrow. Ann
Old 05-11-2004, 08:44 PM   #21  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Marnie well look at you -7# down. That is absolutely wonderful! CONGRATS!!
We have a BIG snow storm going on today......don't even ask. I am so mad I could spit. Mother's Day was wonderful and now we have this. Trudy and I went to Weight Watchers in the storm (we are sooo good) hee hee and we both managed to have a loss. Trudy lost 1.6# and I lost 1#. We were very pleased!
Maria thank you so much for the great email and a look at your photos. We are getting to see the country through your eyes. I love the stationery that you made too. Was that from the new software you bought?
I must run, DH just got home.....talk to you all later.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:16 PM   #22  

just returned from breakfast before going for my shopping spree
I had to just chime in re the behaviour of soldiers in Iraqe, I guess no-one can condone what we have seen however in this day and age with so much manipulation of photographs it is no longer because it is a photo it MUST be true.
I agree with you Ann , we only see the 'spicy, selected' bits. I have just read a book by a woman journalist who was in Kabul, Afghanistan, the book gives you quite a different slant on things as to what editors for newspapers and television programmes want, as long as it closely resembles part of the truth and it will shock then it seems to be used.
Again I would never condone what was supposedly to have been done...but I would like to hear what led to this behaviour in the first place.

Off my soapbox now...glad you like the stationary Slavika no it is not software that I bought. The picture was made up of 2 photographs that I have taken, pulled them to bits and then re-assembled them the way I liked it. I do all of this in Adobe Photoshop CS where I do all my photo manipulation/restoration etc.
I only recently discovered how to format new stationary in Outlook Express.
It is all very addictive and good fun to do.

Marnie what a fantastic loss, sounds like starting all over was worth it!

Off to shop now........

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-11-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:27 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Wink Raining, here!

Lotsa today! South Dakota had snow!!!

Hi Everybody - DH, DS & I are heading for a Twins vs. Mariners game today. I've popped some "healthy" pop corn to bring - I will have Diet Coke at the game. I'm starting my 4th day of my second week. It's amazing how the program works if you actually stick to the points! I think it was the ticket for me to start over, fresh and new.

Maria, your time in Manila is fascinating - I just hope you are safe, safe, safe!

I'll check in after the Twins game. Hope you are all well and enjoying sunnier weather than us Minnesotans! (Hey, Karen?)

Marnie

Old 05-13-2004, 08:56 AM   #24  

G'day all,

Well I have good news, we are leaving tomorrow for Singapore again, we managed to get an earlier flight, 2.15 instead of 6.05 pm.

Today I checked an Australian Government website where they give advice on countries one should avoid etc.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Philippines

The Phillippines did not come up trumps and we are both feeling a little sheepish to have been so naive. We both agree if anything bad had happened we would not have received too much sympathy back home after reading the advice on the above website.
We went for a walk tonight but felt quite uneasy and did not stay out for long.
DH received an email with advice for travelling Lucent employees not to display any of their logos to indicate that he is working for an American company.
The world is certainly a crazy place at the moment.

Marnie you have proven to be such a good example that on my return to Australia I will re-join WW.
I am not going to wait till I know when I will be home for some time, that is always up in the air.
There is the most magnificent pool here in the hotel (as there is in Singapore), I dislike myself so much in bathers that I refuse to wear them and of course cannot go and have a swim to cool off.

It looks like we will have to return either to Manila or Singapore so hopefully when we return I will look a little more respectable in bathers and can at least enjoy the pool.

Goodnight all,
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-13-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #25  
Member Florida Chick

Maria: Someday you will come to the place where you won't care about how you look in a bathing suit, you will just want to be cool and have a bit of exercise. I have found that place, and it is very freeing.

Marnie: Congrats on the #7 loss. I see the Dr. on Friday to see what he thinks about the BP medicine and weight gain. I just don't think it is all my undisciplned nature.

Had an interesting test this a.m. Some years ago I had the H-Pylori bacteria. I thought I was cured forever, but when I found I was having recurring symptoms, I asked the Dr. and was told,'Oh yes, you can have it again.' Oh joy. And was told no blood test, since it would always show positive since I did have it. So today, after fasting all night, went in and breathed into some test tubes. Then drank some stuff, all at once without stopping, then waited 15 minutes and then blew into 2 more test tubes. So now, if it show positive I'll take the cure again, and if not, they will have to look for some other reason for the symptoms. Fun Fun.

Slavika: SNOW! How awful. I know you want spring. Hi to Trudy, and congrats to you on the numbers going down. Do you like the new program? How different is it from the winning points program?

Hi to everyone. Ann
Old 05-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #26  
Net browser

Smile

Hi Everybody

MARIA...Well I guess after reading that travel advisory it would be better if you did not leave the hotel until you have to go to the airport. If you are going to have to spend time in Manila, get yourself a swimsuit and a couple of good books and just enjoy the pool. YIKES......after going to Maui all these years for holidays trust me when I tell you you have nothing to worry about. There are always all shapes, sizes and ages at the pool and nobody seems to pay any attention to you unless you are wearing a "thong"....hee hee. So, go ahead, slap on some strong sun screen and get a little sun on your legs, and you will soon be feeling like a million dollars, and wondering why you didn't do it sooner.
ANN: I will interested to hear what you doctor says about the blood pressure medication you are on. Did your drug print out from the pharmacist show that as a side effect of the drug? You could look up the side effects of the medication on the internet.

The news is so bad now, with all that has gone on in Iraq and come to light in the last while, that my heart breaks for the young men and woman over there who have NEVER and would NEVER take part in anything as disgusting as the things we have seen and heard.

My son and dil left for New York on Wednesday. It is their 14th wedding anniversary and my son wanted to take his wife with him on this trip (it's part business) so that they could have some time together. They hired a "nanny" to live in their home and take care of the children and tomorrow after school I will pick them up and bring them here for a sleep over. The Princess is VERY excited and calls me every day to go over the "plans" for the weekend. Our grandson being all of 10 years old is a little bit more "cool". I told them that on Friday night we were going to have a Alien night. I bought a cute robot at a friend's garage sale that is brand new and looks like flying saucer with eyes that sort of light up and blink. He "talks" gibberish (it's some alien language) but when he says "WHAT", you can push the remote control and have him move forward, dance, spin etc. There is a little story about how these little critters came to earth. hee hee....I will read the story first to them. I bought dollar store hand held fans that have coloured glass so that when you turn them on they spin all different colours, and in the dark, it's really neat. On Saturday afternoon we are going to a hotel in our City (DH booked a suite for us) that has a pool and a water slide. They are very excited about that. We'll take them out to dinner and then they can swim again if they wish. Sunday morning we will go out for brunch with them and by the time we get home, our son and dil will be back. It will be a busy fun weekend for all of us.
Bye for now.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:22 PM   #27  

G'day all,

All packed up and ready to go to the airport in an hour's time.
I probably won't be back in touch until the middle of next week, no such luxury as free internet access at the hotel in Singapore.

You are probably all right about the bathers thing, I just have to get it through my thick head
The 'thong' is something to strive for Slavika

Ann hope all is well with your tests. I had the test for H-Pylori bacteria some time ago and was disappointed that my symptons were not due to that but to an ulcer instead I also thought that once treated with anti-biotics, that would be the end of it.
Good luck with your visit to the doctor and the BP medication. It must be so frustrating when you fairly well do the right thing and you still keep having the weight creep up. Can you imagene what your weight would be like had you not been as displined as what you are

Slavika Sounds like your son and his wife will have a lovely wedding anniversary and you will have a good time with your grand kids

Slavika you said it very succinctly and my sentiments exactly re the Iraq business. It is all a very sad state of affairs, not much more I can say.
DH's colleague who is in Baghdad, is working 16 hour days, goes from the living compound in an armoured car to his work and then back again. He expects to be there for 6 months.

My dd is visiting us in Adelaide the day after I arrive back. She is going to a very good friends engagement party. It will be lovely to catch up with her.

Stay happy and healthy, 'see' you next week sometime........

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-14-2004, 07:35 AM   #28  

A couple of days ago I wrote a great post and somehow lost it into the vast place of Cyber Space. Was too tired to start again.

Haven't been here for a while as we have been busy getting ready to make our house buying trip. I will be glad when we are sure what house to buy and all is taken care of. I keep waking in the middle of the night remebering yet one more thing we'll have to do while we are in Florida.

Today is DH last day at work until July 30 when he is offically retired. I am very worried about how all three of will get along 24/7. Like who will end up being killed first! At least I will have a job to go to 2 days aweek and will be filling in for othere vacationing Leaders during the month Of June and a couple of meetings in July. Have been asked to work during the last two weeks of July but had to decline so I will have time to pack and have a yard sale.

I'm looking forward to meeting Ann She has given me her phone number so I can call and we can make plans to get together.

Marnie way to go on the weight loss front!! It is always good to have a renewed commitment . Keep it up. I agree this weather we are having is the pits. I'm beginningto think we will never see summer. Fishing opener this weekend . That means in order to get out on the highway I will have to drive to the middle of town to get to the traffic light so I can make my turn. I always dread fishing opener, Deer opener and Duck season. Everybody and his uncle drives through our town.

Maria. a few weeks ago at the Weight Watchers meeting we used a quote " You are not what you think you are . Your are not what I think you are . You are what you think I think you are." In other words put on a bathing suit. You may never see those people again so what do you care what they think! Enjoy The sun and enjoy a swim! Stay safe
Ann what is that test you were talking about I've never heard of it before?

Does any one here watch Survivor? Rupert Rules!!! I was thrilled to see him and his wife a daughter receive the $1,000,000 last night. Anyone share my enthusiasm?

Well I'm going to get busy Have things to do and later will be running out to Camp Ripley to give my son some money. Militay pay( which is very poor) takes a while to get straight. so they need help.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #29  
Member Florida Chick

Karaen: The test is for trying to find out if I haave a re-occurance of the H-Pylori bacteria. it can cause stomach ulcers. You take an antibiotic, a strong one, with some sort of ant-acid like previcid, to get rid of it. I had done that once, but now I am starting over with the same symptoms so - the test to see.

Also today the Dr. changed my BP medicine, and we will see what happens. I hate to read the side effects when you get a prescription. Makes you want to not take anything. Weight gain and swelling of legs/ankles were in the side effects of the other stuff. Time will tell. My system is so wierd about medicine.

Looking forward to meeting up with Karen next week. What fun. Have a good weekend, everybody, and Slavika have a great time with your family. I'd like to be there for Alien night too. Sounds like great fun. Ann
Old 05-15-2004, 12:26 AM   #30  
Life Time 2001

Alas....... Im so lost.
Cant keep up

Ann is meetng Karen.
Marnie: Wooooooooooooo Hooo
You lost! Keep it going! You can do it. Just takes time!

Im a lost lamb Trying to find her way
Closed Thread