Old 02-11-2004, 10:32 AM   #1  
Cockeyed Optimist

Default Weltanschauung Wednesday

Today's title is in honor of Jess.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:45 AM   #2  
Cockeyed Optimist

Good Morning Girlfriends!

What is going on in your lives today?

I got up this morning and did The Firm's Total Sculpting + Abs. I confess though to pausing the tape twice for a minute each time. I don't normally do that but I switched from 8lbs as my "heavy" to 12lbs so it left me a little winded a few times.

How do you count water? I'm a purist so I've always counted only water as my waters. Never decaf tea, decaf pop, milk or juice. But today I am drinking watered down apple juice (don't ask some weird craving) as in 8oz apple juice mixed with 24oz water. I'm debating whether I can count those 24 oz as water or not according to my own "rules".

Do any of you belong to work based professional societies? If so, have you found them helpful with your career? Also, JenL, you seem to be involved in hiring staff sometimes - do you ever hire administrative staff? Does a CPS or CAP designation affect your decisions at all?

I'm considering joining a professional society now that I've come to terms after 7 some years of administrative work that it's probably going to be my career rather than "just a job" that I move on from.

O.K. time to get back to work.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 AM   #3  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Good Morning!!

Laura, you must have pulled out a foriegn language dictionary for today's thread title!! What the heck is a Weltanshauung??????? How was your eating for the rest of your day yesterday? And did you workout? (You wanted us to ask--I'm keeping you accountable, sugar!)

Guys, I'm SO happy! Aaron got a really good job and started it today. That means he'll probably be moving out before long--finally there's an end in sight. I had set a deadline for him to start getting it together and lucky for him, he actually made that deadline! Plus, he's getting a new car today too--and it's actually a decent one. I feel happier than I have in a long time.

I work at Subway again tonight, yay... It's totally wearing me out already. I hope that once I'm done training I'll get more into the swing of things and won't feel so drained. It doesn't help that I only got about 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night--I tossed and turned until about 2:30. Aaron had to be up at 5 and of course the alarm woke me up, then I couldn't go back to sleep. It's gonna be a really, really long day. But, I'm working out over lunch and hopefully that'll wake me up.

OK, kids, I gotta eat a 2 Pts bar and get to the Y. See ya!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:29 AM   #4  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Hey Laura. Congrats on working out. That's a first step to getting back. As for hiring. The first thing we look at is experience and skills. If the resume looks strong and meets our requirements plus some, then we call the person in. The last thing I look at is organizations. Why? Because I have belonged to them and you can belong to an organization and not learn or do anything that will strengthen your skills. Now I am not saying that these organizations are bad, it is just not a major factor in me calling in a person for an interview. BUT, if you belong, I would by all mean put it down, because it may be a connection that also gets you an interview!!

That's it for me. Nothing new. I have swim class with the girls tonight, so not sure I will make it for a workout. Tho walking through the water for 30+ minutes has to count for something!!

Oh and I count water as water!! Not soda, juice, milk or any other kind of liquid. HOWEVER, if you mixed that little bit of juice with that much water, I would count at least a portion of it as water!!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Laura
For the record I sometimes mix 4 oz of "light" juice with 28 oz of water it makes it easier to drink. I was thinking of getting that new Firm set thats advertized on TV with the bar weight That I think you can also use for balance and some fanny blaster step. The last 2 days were beyond hectic Monday I started my internship and it was whacko crazy but in a good way I got to work on pre production I loved it Yesterday was a crappy day primarily stemming from the fact that I was hurrying and LOL fell in my bathroom and smacked my head on a tile wall. . .makes for a great attention span in class then we went out for dinner where I did ok not great
Today the soreness from the fall set in so I'm going to the doc and making a pt apt I was supposed to start my confirmation class but I ahve a call into my priest to see if i can pick up the info tommorrrow.
OOOH! we had a blackout in New Brunswick on Monday so I went to the campus my internship was on early (b/c they actually still had power) and there was a beauty product vendor (dun dum duuuuuun) I got 75 bucks worth of hair cair and etc for $30!
I love a good deal
I will bbiab
Kierie
Old 02-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

ps I have my first WI since november tommorrow I'm Terrified its goign to be higher than it was in october! UGH!
Old 02-11-2004, 12:03 PM   #7  
Cockeyed Optimist

Sorry - just a good old Merriam Webster dictionary. It means "a comprehensive conception or apprehension of the world especially from a specific standpoint".

Jess - you're a pal. I went to bed at 8PM last night so I was done eating when I posted. And this morning I did a Firm work-out. What great news about Aaron. Have you decided that you want to live alone again even if he does have a good job? Try to take care of yourself. I remember how exhausting 2 jobs was when I did it on a regular basis.

JenL - Thanks. I figured the organization itself wouldn't be a primary reason to call a candidate but wondered about the professional designations they provide in some industries. I say water waking is exercise - at least a point's worth!

Kierie - I have that Firm set. It is spectacular! I LOVE it! I'd advise buying at Target or collagevideo.com rather than from the Firm. That fall sounds nasty. Glad the internship is going well.

I walked into the corner of a table this morning and now my knee is killing me. I'll bet I have a very pretty bruise.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:05 PM   #8  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Default Happy Wednesday!

Laura, I swear you made that word up!!!!

As far as your question about professional organizations, etc., when I was the director of a preschool and daycare and did the hiring, I DID look at professional organizations closely. I know that some of the ones that educators can belong to adhere to higher standards, and I knew if I saw that on one resume and not on another, that the one who was a member had the edge. JenL is right too in that they are great networking tools...that's how I've gotten two jobs. I am still an active alumni of Sigma Alpha Iota (professional musician sorrority) and I get many many wedding and funeral and party singing jobs from that affiliation. Just my two cents worth. I'm so proud of you for getting up and doing your tapes. I heard the frustration in your words when I read your post yesterday, and I'm really glad that you are strong enough to take positive steps to pull yourself up when you start slipping. You're my inspiration!

Jess, I am so happy for you and Aaron. Maybe it was just a matter of maturing...don't they say that in your twenties, men are still a good five years maturity wise behind women and don't catch up to the early thirties? Not exactly sure how accurate that is, it's just something I heard. Hang in there...can you put a CD on your computer to energize you?

Jen, I am glad you're planning workouts in over your lunch break. I think it's going to be a nice stress break as well as doing something just for you.

Kieriekins, isn't it fun to be crazy busy with something you love? Rest those aching muscles...owie! Maybe a lot of long hot baths are in your future!

I read yesterday's posts this morning...boy you guys were getting deep. I'm just going to be as painfully honest as I can here. Yeah I don't get a lot anymore and sometimes it's just being crazy busy and sometimes (lately) it's been computer woes, but many times I come on and read the posts and find that I just can't post. Why? Posts on our thread get so negative on some days that I am so drained by the time I read the posts I don't have it in me to offer anything myself. Now I"m not saying that I'm above all this...I can get just as negative as the next person. But I've made a decision in my life that I really try to live by. I find I am much happier and more productive if I MAKE myself be positive and that means eliminating negative things from my agenda. If something brings me down, I just have to put it aside until I am "up" enough to deal with it. Just keep in mind, this isn't directed at any one person, it's just something I've noticed from time to time. And it's not that we can't vent here, because that's what this is for. It's not that I don't want to hear that bad things are going on in your life, but I need to hear some good things that are going on in your life too, to balance it. And it's ok to be in a bad mood from time to time and come here and just get a little support. I promise to come and try to encourage as much as I possibly can, and to try to be a part of the solution rather than running away. And who knows, maybe I'm the only person that feels this way and you all are perfectly happy with the day to day thread postings. If that's the case, then I will probably just bow out without any hard feelings. So I hope I didn't offend anyone or hurt anyone, but that was something I really needed to say.

Ok, I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback on this, because maybe I am just way off base on this, and if I am, I need to hear that.

I'll check back in in a bit...

Last edited by aaronsmom; 02-11-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:57 PM   #9  
Bono Fanatic!

Jayne - How ironic that the day I decide to lurk is the day you post such a message. What you said sums up the EXACT reasons I never post anymore. I have been coming here for years, but after a while, began to feel that all it did was bring me down. And, like you, I work hard at keeping negativity out of my life. I am not saying that I am always upbeat, but I just got to a point where I can't spend so much time dealing with negativity on a daily basis. I originally came here for the weight loss support, which I definitely got. Now, though, there is very little weight loss occurring. Yes, I know weight loss is a struggle. I was overweight my entire life until 5 years ago, and it is a battle I fight everyday, so I am in no way unsympathetic. I realized though, that coming here and reading how someone would pig out over the weekend and then vow to recommit week after week after week made me finally realize that this isn't a group very committed to weight loss, which is really what brought us all together. I probably am coming off quite rude, but I know a lot of you wonder why no one posts anymore. I think what I discussed above are a few of the reasons why.

I really do hope you all are well and are able to accomplish what you set out to do.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:00 PM   #10  
Cockeyed Optimist

Thanks for your post Jayne. I really appreciate what you had to say. I have to agree that in my RL I try to avoid conversations with people that are consistently negative as it sucks too much energy out of me. In fact, that's the reason that I stayed away for the last week or so - I had absolutely nothing nice to say and I didn't want to present that face to all of you each day. I waited until I had started on the positive upswing so that I had good news to report as well as bad.

I too acknowledge that this is a place to vent, lord knows I do!, but find the daily more enjoyable when we share good news as well. I make a much better friend than I do a therapist.

I apologize if I've hurt anyone's feelings. That wasn't my intent. I just wanted to reinforce the idea that I like hearing about the good in each of your days.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:10 PM   #11  
Cockeyed Optimist

JenK - thanks for popping in and letting us know the reason that you don't swing by more often. I appreciate it. Hope law school is going well.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:43 PM   #12  

Hey girls,

How is everyone doing??

Laura, I would totally count the water part of the juice and water and water. If you're really torn over breaking your rules, just drnk a little extra plain water tonight! WTG on the exercise. I have been in the same boat with not getting up to go running. I am making myself leave work at a decent hour and go tonight, despite the cold and dark.

Jen, I'd count the swimming class as something - it's better than sitting at a desk or on a couch! Plus you're giving your daughters abilities to have fitness in their own lives. I grew up racing on a swim team every summer, and I sure miss being able to do that!

Kierie, I love a bargain too! What kind of products did you get? Good luck at WI.

Jayne, thanks for being honest with your thoughts. I personally never considered this thread to be overly negative, but I am naturally a pessimist, so maybe it's normal to me, lol. But I can see how sometimes if you need encouragement and there is just complaining going on that might not help.

That being said....I didn't get the condo and I'm really bummed out about it. This is the third time I put in a contract and didn't get it because someone else waived appraisal. It's discouraging. Anyway, when I heard this morning I totally just wanted to stuff my face with chocolate. But I didn't!! (I did that yesterday, lol). I have stuck to no sugar. However, I did go to Trader Joe's to pick something up for lunch and spent a few too many dollars on sugar free candy. But I had some for lunch and am still going to consider this day OP and a success. Providing that I run. Laura, please check up on me tomorrow!

Jess, so glad to hear Aaron got a job and responded to your concerns. Hopefully that is a great sign of things to come.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #13  

Hi JenK, I guess it took me a while to post and I missed yours. Thanks for adding your comments - I know I've missed you around here, but I can't say that you're wrong in your observations. I know I've been one of those that keeps saying I'm going to recommit and then blowing it. Maybe we need to refocus and make the threads more about support and w/l tips, etc. Not that I don't like hearing about personal lives too, but we could use both. Any ideas?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:55 PM   #14  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Wow, guess I didn't see the thread as overly negative either. I look at it more that people are reaching out for help and that is how some people express themselves. I am one of the people that is having a hard time getting back on track, BUT, I have been here since the start of this website (literally) way back when it was a funky scroll list. AND I have lost weight successfully twice before. BUT, after having 2 children, my niche is not the same and I am struggling to find what works. Maybe this group isn't the group I should be in then. I really enjoy you all and enjoy sharing myself with you, but on the same note, if I am bringing people down because I am not a fast loser or have a constant cheery attitude, then I need to find a place that is going to be there for me.

Sorry for all that negativity, but I really needed to say something.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #15  
Duchess Tiger Lily

Let me just clarify what I was trying to say and maybe refocus myself a little bit here.
Jen and Lexi, please don't feel like I aimed that at you -- I didn't aim it at any one person at all. I'm not asking people not to share themselves or come to seek support when they need it. I guess what I am asking is that if people need to post 3 things that are going wrong in their life, maybe they can also post three things they really like about their life in order to kind of balance things out. Or maybe if they're struggling with a particular weight loss issue, find one aspect of weight loss that they've been really good at, and tell us about that as well. I don't want anyone to leave over this unless it's me for bringing this up, so that's not what I'm asking anyone to do. Does that help to clarify things?

Hey JenK!!! I've missed you...I'm going to start your running program back up as soon as Baby Olivia is born!!!
Closed Thread