Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 04:27 PM   #1  

Question Low Carb vs WW

Hi,

I am a former WW. I have been debating with myself about trying atkins or a similar low carb diet. I have over 100 lbs to lose. I am definitely a carbaholic. I have a good friend that is doing Atkins and she really likes it. I wanted to get some input from those of you who have tried both. Which do you prefer and why.

Thanks for your input.

Cabingirl
Old 06-25-2003, 04:57 PM   #2  
Proud Canadian

I am also a carboholic. I think a lot of us on this site are. I find I lose well when I limit my carbs but then the minute I add them back the weight comes back with extra. That's why I like WW - because they teach lifestyle and not a quick weight loss. It is possible to follow WW using a low carb model but really it depends on whatever works for each individual. If you like it and it works for you. Go for it!
KT
Old 07-08-2003, 04:49 PM   #3  

cabingirl, Here is a link from the SUCCESS!! board. Its long but the person asked if ppl lost weight while eating carbs. Lots of good stuff in those pages I think.. Might help a little in your search

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=20234
Old 07-09-2003, 10:41 AM   #4  
Miss Independent

I did Atkins in high school (3 years ago) and lost really well...the down side was as soon as i started eating carbs again..it all came back and doubled. I did WW two summers ago and lost 30# but put it back on when i went to college (my own fault..too much fast food and alcohol). This summer I have lost about 16# since I started following the plan. I love carbs so for me WW is the better route to go. At least this way I dont have to give up my precious cinnamon toast in the morning...my chips at lunch.....my skinny cow after dinner.....well you get the point. Atkins is great for fast loss, but if you stop eating that way it will come back. I just cant live eating protein the rest of my life...I mean really....I'm just 21 here. Everything works differently for different people...look at both plans carefully and then decide what you think will work best for you.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #5  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Excuse Me While I Step On My Soapbox...

There is all this negative talk about low carb diets, but I've been researching them a lot during the last couple of weeks. There was a lot of bad press, but recent reports are showing that low carb diets aren't as bad as they've been made out to be. Here are some links to WebMD articles with information (these are specifically about the Atkins Diet, which I believe was the original low-carb)...

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/...tselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/...tselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Low Carbing can have some side effects, but most of them come when the diet is not followed correctly, from what I understand. Some people simply can't do low carb, which is also something that's caused low carbing to get bad press. As with any diet, if you don't feel good when you're doing it, don't do it.

No matter what diet you choose, you should research it before beginning. Talk to your doctor--if he/she is up-to-date on recent low carb studies, they will have good info for you and will be able to tell you whether or not low carb is for you.

Despite all the posts saying absolutely not to low carb, you need to evaluate your lifestyle and decide what's best for you. Jayne (who posts here, but is on vacation) has been doing it the Atkins way and is having great success. A guy that I work with who was in really bad shape--as in way overweight, super high cholesterol, just really unhealthy--has lost 40 lbs doing it and has drastically reduced his cholesterol. I don't do low carb (yet), but I've been really thinking about it because the foods you eat on that diet are the foods I crave and because it IS a lifestyle change that I could live with.

Also, I don't want you to be under the misguided thought that low carb is all about bacon, eggs, etc. It's very important that you eat your vegetables as well as other foods--the Atkins website talks about all of this. www.atkins.com And don't think that you'll be swearing off carbs for the rest of your life, that's not how Atkins works--after the first two weeks (called the induction phase), you start re-introducing more carbs until you find a balance that works for you.

If your health is an issue, losing weight is losing weight, no matter how you do it (within reason, of course!!) and your body will thank you for it.

Now, I'm not saying I'm all for low-carbs, because I still hesitate when it comes to doing it myself, but I do believe that it's important to find people who have succeeded using a low carb approach to losing weight. I think it's important to research any diet that you're thinking about starting, and I think it's vital to have non-biased and up-to-date information (for example, the WebMD articles).

The most life-changing thing that you can do for yourself is to find a diet that you can live with and succeed with.

Stepping off my soapbox now...
Old 07-09-2003, 12:17 PM   #6  
Miss Independent

Just for clarification purposes...Atkins is a great diet..as long as its for you.
I am sure i would have loved it, except my body is insulin resistant so it made it harder to eat on it. BUT there is a good book if your body is the same way as mine which will let you figure out how low-carbing will work for you. Its something like The Low-Carb Diet and Insulin Resistance ..pretty creative name huh? I will check the title and post it in case anyone else happens to be insulin resistant...it was a helpful book.

Not a "Low Carb Hater" per say, just wasnt the best route for me. Whatever you do..be comfortable in what you do, and try to know lots of pros and cons before you start.

Whatever you do choose, even if its neither of the two,Heres to a better and healthier body!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #7  
A Yankee in Virginia

I tried a low carb diet once (not Atkins, something else) and it didn't work for me. I just couldn't eat that much protein. It was making me sick. And I just love carbs too much ... I would really feel like I was depriving myself if I cut them almost out. With WW, I don't feel like I have to, although I have cut back. I don't always have a starch at dinner even though I want to, and if I do I'll make it a piece or corn on the cob or a slice of wheat toast.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:13 AM   #8  
You're a smoothie.

Default My two cents...

I did Atkins for a bit last summer and did lose a good amount of weight. But I am a carb-a-holic and I knew I'd never be able to stay on a low carb/high protein diet for the rest of my life. Sure enough, when I went off Atkins I gained the weight back. WW, for me, is the only thing that is really sensible. However, for those who really love and prefer protein then it may be a good way to go. MY personal feeling, though, is that if you love carbs you'll never STAY on the Atkins...and if you did stay on it and hated it, well...that is no way to live!!

~Emily
Closed Thread