Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 08:18 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #217

G'day all,

The first night on my own is already enough
Normally when I know dh is only away for a few nights, I quite enjoy it but the thought of being on my own for at least 3-4 weeks is a bit much.
He rang last night and told me as he was on the way from the airport to the motel, he received a call from his manager to say that NZ was off Dh told him he was already there!! I am not sure what will happen now, he may stay and our whole stay in NZ will be lengthened, or he could come home and then go again towards the end of June. All a bit of a joke, what a waste of money.

Marnie What a star you are, well done on your 25 lb magnet. Sorry your cold is still hanging around, by the way I have noticed your 'hint' , see what I can find!

Peggy Yes our 'friend' is off my list, if dh wants to play golf with him from time to time, he can but I am at a stage of my life that I don't feel I have to listen to such an obnoxious person.
I love your avatar but if you would like to use your own, email it to me and I will reduce it for you so it will work for you.
([email protected])

Ann Is your climate tropical?? We lived in Darwin (northern Australia) and in October/November, as the wet season approached, the thunderstorms were unbelievable, very spectacular, we had never quite experienced anything like it.

I received my week of food yesterday and I must say I am impressed. I worked it out and on average it works out to between 19 and 22 points in WW language.
I had a macoroni salad for lunch, carrot sticks and a yoghurt and cucumber dip for a snack and beef stroganoff for dinner.
I have already noticed that MY portions are quite a bit bigger than the ones supplied!
I really feel it will give me a bit of jump start and will just get me to re-focus on portion sizes.

Have a great day all,
Cheers
Maria

This is an Aussie fly. The shooing away of flies is called 'the aussie wave'
Old 05-21-2003, 03:42 AM   #2  
Ash

Default From Down Under

Well the bad penny has turned up again, Hello Ladies Yes here I am again after spending many days berating myself about my weight loss. I saw the Doctor about being on the low carbohydrate plan and WOW did he go mad at me. With all the medication that I am on I was just not suited to that sort of diet. Well I am back on he WW point system and have joined theirAt Home program - 3 weeks now and I have lost 3 kgs, hurrah the weight has started to move again and I feel like venturing into the land of the living again.

There are far to many posts for me to read and I have just skipped over them but I see that Trudy is back, Marnie is doing OK with her WW, Maria is home from NewZealand, there has been a lot of changing of Avators, phew, I am out of breath just trying to recall every one of them.

Thanks to all who tried to get me to stay on the WW point system, but I am very pigheaded and just had to try the other, much to my chargin.

Take care each and everyone of you.

Ash/Jenye
Old 05-21-2003, 08:02 AM   #3  

Jenye,
Don't have a lot of time but wanted to post a message to you. Good job going back to W.W. Try not to dwell on the past. It's easier to move toward something (future) than away from something (past). Look to the future . I'll tell you what I tell the members of my groups. The secret to W.W and losing weight is to never quit. You just keep pluging away until the weight is finally gone. It doesn't matter how long it takes. In the end you will have learned so much about your self. Be proud that you have taken this step in the right direction.

Off my soap box. Gottat go
Karen
Old 05-21-2003, 08:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Guess who has another new Avatar???

Now guess who got it for me???

Ash/Jenye Good for you! You've learned something even though the carbo thing wasn't for you. I do think WW has the best plan just because it includes all foods - but in moderation. We can work together - It'll be a while before I get to goal - try a year! - but like Karen said the trick is in not giving up. So we'll keep on keeping on.

Maria (my avatar buddy) I know what you mean by portions! If a bowl of mashed potatoes is put before me, I automatically think it's MY bowl! When I really get hungry, I know I can load up on veggies and some low point foods. Does the food taste good from "Lite & Easy?"

I suppose I should get to work - I'll check in later.

Marnie
Old 05-21-2003, 12:49 PM   #5  
Fun Blonde

So many posts and so little time! This is just to let you know I am still alive here on the plains of Oklahoma. What a spring we have had! So many people homeless, living in motels, etc, trying to get their homes built back!

Karen - Just wanted to let you know that I really empathize with you with your dad's illness. I know how draining these times can be, but I also know that all the time you spend doing this sort of thing is something that someday you will treasure. I remember when you retired and you were going to take it easy?

Marnie- 25 pounds! Great going!

Jenye - I also tried the Atkins diet and was just so miserable. I did lose weight and gained it back immediately. I just wanted some lowfat popcorn or a sandwich or a bowl of cereal. You will find for a lifetime loss, there is nothing like WW. And I had a few complications from Atkins that were pretty miserable. I bet you can guess what they were!

Ann - So you are getting some weather too. This is just one of the weirdest times I have ever spent, weatherwise. Do you think Al Queda(sp?) has something to do with it? Think we can blame them for everything?

All - I went to WW last week and have lost 8 pounds. Just 17 to go. It took me awhile to get in the grove, but I think I might be there or at least close. When my DIL said she had joined to lose her last 10 baby pounds, she made me think about this. She is nursing and they assured her they have a great nursing mothers' program. She can get up to 33 points a day and has lost 3.5 pounds in 2 weeks. Hmmmmm......Shame we can't lose like that with that many points, but sort of past that time, thank goodness!

Having a rough time at work. Losing a wonderful lady to another job and just hate that! I have also been so busy that I cannot take the time to wait on this site to come up. Sometimes it just takes forever.
Glenda
Old 05-21-2003, 02:27 PM   #6  
Life Time 2001

MAria: Certainly sounds like your DS is taken well care of while the wife is away. Lucky boy!. So you will be off again soon. Dont know how you do it. A little slow in telling your DH NZ was off. :lol cant believe it.

Marnie: It really is fun working for WW. I do enjoy it. Its just when I do the tally I dont enjoy it so much
Woo Hoo for you getting your 25# magnet! Thats super!

Peggy: India? Wow What made them want to move there? I hear you on the rain. It finally has been nice here for this past week. Im loving it for a change!

Ann: I hate thunder storms. They have always scared me.

Jenye: Good to see you back! Congrats on your loss to! Your doing good!
KAren is right. Just plug away at day to day.

Glenda: Good to see you! Was worried, with all the storms you have been getting. Congrats on your loss to!

Best get to work.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:00 PM   #7  

G'day all,

Glenda what a great loss! Good to hear from you and good to hear you were not directly effected by the tornadoes. It is hard to imagene what it is like to have all your possesions to be literally blown away.

Karen as usual, you make a lot of sense re WW. It was nice to 'see' you again Jeney. I am sure if you stick to the WW philosophy you will loose.
Whilst on my own I have given 'Lite 'n Easy' a go and give myself a bit of a boost. I know you can have it where you live and maybe that is an option. The whole plan is just healthy living but much smaller portions then I tend to serve up. The variety is great and so far the food has been tasty and very similar to what I would eat normally (or what I should eat )
I am not the world's greatest cook, especially when I am on my own, I will eat anything that is easy, biscuits, nuts etc.etc., well this could not be easier having everything planned out. I even had brussels sprouts last night, a vegetable I have not eaten in years!! Have a look at their website Jeney http://www.liteneasy.com.au/ , in the meantime stick to the WW plan it really is the only sensible way to go.
By the way, keep an eye out for my new d-i-l, she playing as WD for Australia in the current netball test against South Africa. Channel 2 usually televises the netball on Saturday mornings.

Lily For about 6 months, (many moons ago now) I did the receptionist job for WW. I thought it was very antiquated the way it was all tallied etc., by the sounds it has not changed all that much. I agree the meeting itself was fun especially being that bit closer involved. Interesting though it did not help me to get to goal. I was about 6 lbs off goal and it just would not move. I also had many comments that I was fine and didn't need to loose anymore etc. I think it is good that as a leader, you MUST be within 2 lbs of your goal weight.

Marnie your new avatar looks great! It is a real problem to get your head around the right size portions. I tend to eat heaps of very low point foods, which doesn't really satisfy me, after all it is meant as a snack and then I tend to 'miscalculate' all those low point snacks. Of course the secret is to 'journal, journal, journal' As you can see, I have all the answers but I must put it in practice

Well have a great day all, I have attached a lovely peonie for all those peonie lovers.

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-22-2003, 12:48 AM   #8  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
I thought I better drop by and say hello to all you gals in case you thought I fell off the planet. We Canadians just had our long weekend and we also had a lot of rain. Last Saturday, we went to a friends for a BBQ/fireworks display and swimming (they are the ones with the large indoor pool). Fortunately it didn't rain on on Saturday. My family was there too, and the grandkids had such a great time.
I bought new glasses and new contact lenses. I don't know if any of you wear contact lenses but these new ones I ordered are throw aways (after wearing them for two weeks). The eye doctor gave me a pair to try and they seem ok except that they are really thin....almost like saran wrap. LOL LOL did you ever try to find the "right" side of tiny piece of saran wrap.
I pick them up tomorrow.
I have stopped feeding my birds and squirrels as I was getting so many HUGE CROWS. They eat up everything, make a big mess and scare all the little birds away. I hope my "critters" can fend for themselves now that summer is here and I will resume feeding them in the fall. I sure miss seeing them. I still put out carrots for the bunny and fresh water as the crows don't eat the carrots.
So much has been happening to you all and I likely forget some of it but I do remember that Marnie got her 25# gone forever magnet. That is really wonderful Marnie. Congratuations to you. Glenda congratulations on your 8# loss that is absolutely fantastic. Jenye good to "see" you again, and I think that WW has a great program, so good luck with it. Maria I had not heard of "Lite & Easy" until reading your post. I will check out the web addy that you gave us and seewhat that is all about. Karen how is your Dad doing, and how are you holding up?
I saw Trudy on Tuesday but have not really talked to her since. I don't know where the time goes but it goes. I bought some plants and got them planted. I also bought 6 tomato plants for my small garden and got them into the ground too. Hi Lily, Ann and Peggy nice reading your posts. It's getting to be midnight, so I think I will say good-night now.

Last edited by slavika; 05-22-2003 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:05 AM   #9  
Ash

Angry From Down Under

What a wonderful reception ladies, thank you, it makes me feel that I have never been away.

Marnie Yes we could work together that would be great. Congratulations on the 25# loss, but I will catch you. HeHe. Just love the new avatar. You had just joined when I fell into the dark blocs. Any way gang I lost another 2.2lbs this week.

Karen Thanks mate, no this time I will just plug away and get there.

Glenda The Atkins Diet just was not for me and I am glad I found out in time as I could have made my self very sick, as you say just eat healthy food the WW way and you can't go wrong.

Maria I will keep my eyes peeled for your D.I.L. as we always watch the netball on the ABC and I have checked out that site that you sent. WOW what a selection, all the meals and snacks for the day. Are you only on it for a short time while your DH is away? When does DH arrive home again?

Slavika Yes I am finding WW easy now that I have got into the swing of things again.

If I have forgotten anyone please know that it wasn't on purpose. Love to you all.

Jenye.

Last edited by Ash; 05-22-2003 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:37 PM   #10  

G'day all,

Just as I was wondering what was happening with you Slavika , there was your post
Good to hear your well, I am not sure about the throw away contact lenses, boy that sounds a bit tricky to find the right side and then put them in as well. I am sure once you get the hang of it, all will be well. The things that are 'throw-away' now
I just love the 'Light 'n Easy'. It is so simple all the counting has been done for me and I am finding it very satisfying.
I will continue with it whilst I am home on my own Jeney unfortunately it is not available in NZ. I will probably leave for NZ in a few weeks time, so I have had the benefit of the Light 'n Easy meals for 3 weeks and then we will return to Australia again late June/early July. I think I may then just order the snacks and lunches and cook the evening meal. DH has breakfast, fruit for lunch and a substantial evening meal (and is at a good weight!) so the 'Lite 'n Easy' probably won't suit him.
Congratulations on your loss, I am pleased you are getting into the swing of WW, it really is the best way to go.
The netball was a bit of a walk-over last night and our d-i-l only played half the game. The team to tour Jamaica will be announced after the test in Perth and it seems that they are having a good look at all the players in the squad, especially when we are winning so easily, they can afford to swap players around.

Another miserable day here today, perfect for sitting inside and getting my photo's on my computer organised. I only have 3973 images stored in 'my pictures'
It is a bit ridiculous, I have bought some new software for keeping track of them, as you can appreciate I need all the help I can get with that many images! Beats shoeboxes though

Cheers all
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-22-2003 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:18 PM   #11  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: Dont know about the throw away Len's. I tried some others ones a long time ago. Cant even remeber what they were called. But they were like Saran wrap also. My finger nails always tore them. So I went back to the good old hard lens. I was spending way to much on the others. I know the throw away are cheaper. But my long fingers nails wouldnt like them
Poor animals. Those darn Crows! Glad the bunny still gets something

Maria: Your light and easy sounds really good. Dont blame you for trying them. Sounds like you are trying new things to! Dont think WW has changed as far as the tally goes. Really wish they would come into the computer age. Would be so much easier for all. WOW! 3973 images??????? I cant say anything. I have been having so much fun making things I moved them off my hard drive to CD. 1 1/2 disc full

Jenye: Glad you are liking the WW program. It really is good. Have what you want, just count the points. I know when I started it was a real eye opener as far as Portion sizes. Took some getting use to. Just go from day to day and you will get there!

Best be going.. Must feed Cabana Boy Sat. is his day off

Later!
Old 05-25-2003, 01:02 AM   #12  

G'day all,

Beautiful day here today. I have transplanted 5 of my standard iceberg roses. It was a bigger job then I thought. I need to transplant another 4....maybe tomorrow!

To Lily and Karen eventhough this comes as no surprise to you both but you may want to share my experience in your ww meetings. The 'Lite 'n Easy' is just fantastic and I am sorry I will have to stop when I go to New Zealand again, however I have learnt heaps by doing it, the main one being TO PLAN and to have the correct portions. I find with 'Lite 'n Easy' having everything planned and laid out for you, it is so easy. I am having lots of variety, much more than ever before. Today I have had to do my own thing (I have the 'Lite 'n Easy' for 5 days) and was determined to plan but alas, I had people calling in and by the time they were gone and then to have the lunch I had planned (rissotto) would just have taken too long, I was starving so had some soup and a piece of toast instead, it is OK but that is what I tend to do far too often. Then a friend rang to see if I would have dinner with her tonight so another obstacle in the way. I will make sure I will make good choices tonight and as I am driving alcohol won't be a problem.
I have gone through my cook books and plan to take some ww cookbooks with me to NZ and will even try the recipes that don't appeal I am a bit of nightmare with anything a little unusual yet the unusual things I have had this week have been delicious so I will give it a go.
I am keeping all the menus from 'Lite 'n Easy' to give myself a bit of a guide whilst trying to plan.

Lily It is almost addictive playing/creating images etc. I have bought the Adobe Photoshop Album Software. I am quite impressed but need to learn lots more to use it efficiently.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the tiler will start tomorrow, if he does I will then book my flight to NZ and will probably leave in about 2 weeks time. DH is definetly (??????) there till mid July now, so I will be there for about 6 weeks.

Hope you are all having a great weekend.
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-25-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:14 AM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
To all you American gals.......hope you are enjoying your Memorial Day weekend.

Lily I wore the hard contact lenses for years and years because I couldn't get soft lenses because of my stigmatism...now of course you can. I have been wearing soft lenses now for about 3 or 4 years. Last year, I wore the kind of lenses you wear a month and then throw them out but my new ones I wear for two weeks and then put in a fresh pair. My new ones cost $400.00 and that includes a year's suppy of lens solution, also there was a rebate offer of $100.00 so that means it will only be $300.00. Our insurance company will pay $250.00 of that. I also got new glasses and they were $400.00 too, but we pay the whole bill. The insurance company only allows us $250.00 every year.

Looks like we are in for a really nice warm sunny day today. Did any of you happen to get Woman's World magazine (May 27th issue)? There is a recipe in there for Breakfast Cookies. I Made the cookies (the Oatmeal-Raisin) and really enjoyed them. They are very high in fiber and very filling.

Yesterday we bought our son and his family a ski boat/100 HP motor and trailer. It's not new, but appears to be in good condition. They have been looking to buy a boat and found they all cost so much. We decided since we just had the one child and he would one day inherit from us anyway, we would spend a bit of his inheritance on him now, so that he and his family could enjoy the boat while they were young. I can't even begin to tell you how pleased I was that we were able to do this.

Maria the meals look good. Do you buy them frozen and are they expensive. We have frozen TV dinners some are "lite", is it like that?

Well everybody, hope you all have a sunny day to enjoy.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:53 PM   #14  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Glad the light and easy is working so well for you. Looking at the site the food does look good! And your trying new things thats always good

Slavika: Good deal on those contacts! I should try wearing them again. Everyone I know loves the throw away kind. I know I can get them at Costco for very little. Will ask my Dr about them next time I go,

Every one have a Happy Memorial Day!
Old 05-26-2003, 07:21 PM   #15  

G'day all,

Winter is here!!!! It was quite cold last night, probably not to Canadian/American standards, but for us it was a decidingly chilly 11 degrees overnight.
Receiving my next lot of 'Light 'n Easy' this morning, the menu is rotated on a 4 weekly basis so I wonder what little treats are in store for me this week.

The tiling is now supposed to be started tomorrow , I sincerely hope so.

Slavika good for you, I totally agree with doing things for kid(s) now, I get more enjoyment seeing them get the thrill of it now than after I am dead and gone! My mother was far from a rich person but due to some inheritances she was very comfortable in later life however too miserable to spend any of it, despite the fact one of my sisters really needed a helping hand. I vowed and declared then that I would enjoy any good fortune I had with my children. Luckily dh agrees with me and we both get a great deal of joy by helping the kids. wherever we can. I also have to say that neither of my children (and their spouses) take us for granted despite people saying we spoil them.
I will get off my box now!!!!
The meals are similar to the ones you mentioned in your post Slavika we also have many 'light' frozen meals you can buy in the supermarkets. I have tried a few, some OK some not so. The meals provided in this plan I have found to be better than any I have tried before from supermarkets. Hopefully after a few weeks I will still be saying the same

Lily nice to see your new avatar, love flowers.

Not one to brag but our d-i-l got selected for the Australian Netball team again to tour Jamaica for the World Cup. I noticed Canada is 13th in the World rankings and the USA 15th. By the way did I mention that Australia is the World Champion
http://www.netball.asn.au/news/?fuse...02&ct_id=0&i=1

That's all folks
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-26-2003 at 07:38 PM.
Closed Thread