50 or more week of Dec. 9

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • If you have 50 or so pounds to lose, or are losing, jump on in and join! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome!

Linda, your DH built a color tv set??!! Wow!

Hi to everyone from rainy South Texas! We're under a flood warning until tomorrow morning, and I had to tie grocery bags around my feet to get out to the car today. (Still haven't finished that walkway.)

Just two more weeks until the Christmas holiday, when my DS and db-i-l bring Dad back home. Dh and I are hoping to go down to Laredo next weekend, and the Riverwalk the next, for a little r&r and shopping. Guess I'd better save up some points!

Hope everyone's having a great Monday!
    Regards,
    Jan
  • Y'know, when I was in grade school I could build an AM transistor radio from scratch out of junk in my dad's garage. I wouldn't even begin to know how to do that now.

I'm glad someone started a thread because I gotta go to work. Today was my first weigh-in, and I lost 1 pound, so that is a bit of encouragement.

Have a good week all!

Kelly
  • Yay, Kelly, way to go on your loss! Doing the happy dance for ya'. Losing 1/2 to 1.5 pounds a week is the WW way, so you're right on track. And I'm impressed: you could build a radio out of junk?! Amazing.

Ladies, I heard from Texaslady! She's just fine, and says to say hi to everyone and that she's been thinking of us. Problem is just that her modem has gone on the fritz, and her password doesn't work from work, and she's trying to hook up with cable service or something faster, from home. She's feeling good, no post surgery problems, and I'm sure will be back with us soon. Whew.

Hope everyone had a great Monday!
    Jan
  • Well, my dad was an electronics technician which made for exceptional junk for making radios.

Is it okay to post here for help? I can't meet my minimum points. Today, I was flat stuffed ALL day, and I am still 2.5 below my minimum points. I've banked my 5 and am done. I don't think I can eat that much again --I was miserable cramming it in all day. I'm not a snacker and I'm trying very hard to keep my fat below 30%, and make my points as well. I'm also trying very hard to eat all of my veggies, fruits and dairy. I ate so much today that I couldn't even fit my water in which I usually drink all day long.

I spent an hour this evening chopping veggies for the 1-point minestrone soup, but what's the point??? *burp*

Kelly

Edited to add today's menu:

Morning
    2 cups black coffee 0
    1/2 Onion Bagel 1.5
    2 Tbsp Cream Cheese 2

Snacks
    1 small apple 1
    1 large banana 2

Midday
    6 oz Yoplait 99% Fat Free Strawberry Yogurt 4
    1 medium orange 1

Evening
    4 tbsp Hidden Valley Ranch Fat-Free Italian Parmesan Dressing 1
    1 slice oatmeal bread 1 (homemade even)
    1/2 cup mashed potatoes 2
    Giant Salad 0
    Hamburger Gravy 6

Snacks
    2 tbsp sunflower seeds 2
  • Hi Kelly! Of course it's ok to post here for help; that's what we're here for, to support each other in this journey! Re: not enough points, in looking at your journal, I noticed there wasn't much protein. I've read that protein is important at breakfast and lunch, especially. Have you thought about adding a slice of crisp bacon at breakfast, or some veggie sausages? And on the salad, maybe some lowfat croutons or a light olive oil vinaigrette? You could add some granola to your yogurt at lunch.

Looks like you're doing great at working in your fruits and veggies. And you're so right to work towards at least the minimum; if you have too little, your metabolism slows down.

Hope everyone has a great day! Gotta run .... class incoming!
    Regards,
    Jan
  • Yay! I met my minimum points. Unfortunately it was because I bought a perfectly revolting Red Baron Frozen Pepperoni Pizza on the way home. UGH. But, I had promised my husband homemade pizza tonight, then went and helped a friend about 2 hours more than I had planned to, and pizza dough takes over an hour to make. So I made a concession. I'll probably be up all night burping. If you haven't tried it, the 1 point Autumn Minestrone was actually quite good! I didn't use vegetable broth, but used fat free chicken broth instead. I'd be happy to post the recipe if anyone is interested. Is it this dead because of the time of year?

Kelly

Kelly
  • Hi Kelly! WTG on meeting your minimum points! And yes, would love to see the recipe.

Re: the forum being so quiet, I guess it's the time of year. Also, ever since 3FC changed the groups around and ours got buried another level, we've had some problems with people finding us, I think. I sent a PM to the admin, but never got a reply.

I hope you'll stay with us, and that our other members will have more time after the holiday and come around more often; I miss everyone's posts...

Hope you have a great day! ttyl,
    Jan
  • I had thought the boards seemed harder to get around in now, but hadn't put 2 and 2 together. I kept losing myself. I finally boomarked this section of the board. Here's the recipe... it is even for crockpots which makes it easier. I made it as-is except for the broth, and I only used half a bell pepper.

Autumn Vegetable Minestrone (1 Pt)

2 14.5 oz cans vegetable broth
    1 18 oz can crushed tomatoes – undrained
    3 medium carrots -- chopped (1 ½ cups)
    3 small zucchini -- cut into 1/2" slices
    1 medium yellow bell pepper -- cut into 1/2" pieces
    8 medium green onions -- sliced (1/2 cup)
    2 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
    2 cups shredded cabbage
    2 teaspoons dried marjoram
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup uncooked instant rice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Mix all ingredients except rice and basil in a 3 ½ to 6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in rice. Cover and cook on low heat setting for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
  • Hello Ladies,

How is everyone doing? I am doing great still battling this cold. I weighed myself today and lost another 2 lbs! This is a milestone for me because I am now officially in the 220's. I am very happy. I have a long way to go, but I know I can get there with weight watchers.

I need to get on and post more, but they have been doing some layoffs at my job. Today was the last one for now. Several people that I like are gone. I can't believe they do this two weeks before Christmas!!! I am very blessed that I am still here.

Take care everyone!
  • Tonya, another 2 pounds, that's terrific! I knew you'd make the 220's before Christmas! I am so happy for you.

Glad to hear you didn't get caught up in the layoffs, though I'm sorry some of your friends are gone. I agree, that's a heartless thing to do right before Christmas! I hope they're through with the downsizing.

Kelly, thanks so much for the minestrone recipe! I am printing it out right now. Sounds like a really hearty soup for a cold winter evening! I'm a real fan of soup, especially crock pot versions.

JOYce, I got the copy of the newspaper article you sent, thanks so much! It's a lovely story, and you deserve all the wonderful things they said about you; you really are a giving person. I'm sorry to hear your computer has a virus, and hope you can get back to us soon!

Nothing much happening around here today, but things will soon escalate. There are two faculty parties this week and another next week, plus my good friend's son's graduation party. Also, dh and I are driving down to Mexico to do some Christmas shopping on Saturday, and plan to go out to a really nice restaurant we've always wanted to go to. (I will finally have a chance to wear that black dress I bought for the non-cruise!) So I'm trying to stay fairly low in points now, to make up for the upcoming risky events. I just barely squeaked by at my Dec. weigh-in (lifetimers have to stay within two pounds of goal, and weigh in once a month, or they pay the meeting fee). Gotta get a little margin on that by the January weighin!

Hope everyone's week is going along well! Janet, Carol, and Linda, drop by when you can! Texaslady, hope you get your modem fixed soon! Lilithu, let us know if your articles go online, so we can read them if there's an English/Spanish/or French version! Hope you're enjoying your new job!

Regards,
    Jan
  • I'm back..
    It turns out that it was my dh's puter that had the virus, 15 of them! so we are all healthy again!

Tonya Congrats on the 220's!

Thanks Kelly, for the recipe...I'm not much on veggie soups, but will give it a try. I know they are good for me.

Bible study Luncheon was today, was lots of fun. I fixed my 'famous traditional' Wassail, the ladies brought pot-luck finger foods, they were delish. I was pooped, let dgd order pizza for dinner. It's always fun when a group comes in that have not been here before, they were amazed at the doll collection, and enjoyed looking it over.
    Our sharing question was "what are you most looking forward to at Christmas" ..our family has really dwindled , so it will surely be different, but I said I look forward to cards from old friends, and the Christmas Eve program and service.
    ttyl
  • Tonya, you made it, with days to spare! Congrats to you, keep doing what you have been doing, and the weight will continue to fall off!

KellyQ, I am very impressed that you made a radio from spare parts of your Dad's. You must be very talented! Thanks for the soup recipe, it looks really good.

JanetMae, I am so glad that you got ahold of our texaslady and found out that she is all right. Hope she gets hooked up at home soon. It was thoughtful of you to get in touch with her and report back to us. How is school?

The carpeting is in the new library, and all of the furniture has been moved in. Today dh hung all of the family pictures on the walls, so it looks like a real room, now. We'll pick up the new door tomorrow. The room is wonderful!
  • Tonya Congrats with your loss, you're doing great!

For myself, the loss is going really slow... But I'm not doing anything wrong, so I guess I just need to continue and not give up. I've come this far, so I know that eventually the pounds will go away.

Yesterday I went shopping. It was great, I've gone from a size 20 to a size 16 (if the metric system I've found on a site is right), so that means I no longer have to shop in the 'big is beautiful-section!! That felt great: I've bought two regular jeans and a great sweater, and I could almost find anything in my size.

So that was really motivating to go on.

JanetMae, my articles will only be published in Dutch, so I guess it will be extremely hard for you to understand Gotta go and finish them, my deadline is getting really close.

Take care

lilithu
  • JOYce, glad the luncheon went so well! You are always doing fun things like that. (The way my house looks right now, I wouldn't dare host a party! Gotta get crackin on that, as I'll be doing Christmas dinner there for the family!)

Linda, I was relieved that Texaslady is ok, too. It's not like her to be gone so long from the thread! How exciting that your room is taking its final shape; I know you will really enjoy having that done in time for Christmas!

Lilithu, you're right, I don't think any of us can read Dutch. I can (slowly!) read Spanish and French, but that's it! I think it's wonderful that you are so fluent in different languages. And kudos to you on reaching size 16 already!! It's a major milestone, getting to shop in the regular department; how fantastic you must feel about that!

Guess I'd better run for now; have to make a green bean side dish to take to the jh faculty party tonight. (I'm on two faculties, high school and junior high, this year, so I get to go to three parties: jh, hs, and a hs ladies only get-together tomorrow.) Also went to a tea party here at school today, hosted by the homemaking dept.; did ok points-wise, though it was tempting.

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Regards,
    Jan
  • Well, in my infinite wisdom (NOT) I had leftover homemade pizza (8 pts) for breakfast... without thinking that today was our work's Christmas party. Although I always opt to answer phones at the front desk instead (1. it makes me really popular, 2. I don't have to deal with a party) there were still a ton of delectables laying about all day. One was my serious weakness... whipped cream. I just LOVE whipped cream.

So I ate every single point available today. I also couldn't resist the cheese popcorn which thankfully turned out to be only a point per cup.

Tonya, congratulations on your loss!

Janet, good luck at your parties! I was also sorry to hear about your non-cruise, but the way I see it about now, you may have gotten really sick. Thousands of people have about now. If that isn't some kind of bio-warfare, I don't know what is. I'm surprised it isn't top news.

JOYce, I'm not huge on veggie soups, but was surprised at how filling this one is. I generally like thick creamy soups. I told my husband he was welcome to have some... and he said something along the lines that he needed something to remove the paint from a project he's working on.

Linda, we're remodeling too... unfortunately it's a conversion from a garage into another bird room. I guess that has it's benefits too though!

Lilithu, congratulations on your size loss! That is almost more motivating than a weight loss!

Kelly