Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 06:49 PM   #1  

Smile Fabulous 40's #131

Hi Girls

It takes me so long to make decisions I drive myself crazy. With WW online it's should I or shouldn't I? I'm afraid if I join I'll think it was a waste of money. I have to join for 3 months & it comes out to $44 & change then it's $14.95 thereafter.

<sigh> I don't know

Let me go check it out.

Later,
Es
Old 10-29-2002, 12:20 AM   #2  

I joined on-line awhile ago. I really like it. It has a lot of info and support. I think there are little WW people in there telling me to weigh on Saturdays. They keep it up until I do.

Terri
Old 10-29-2002, 08:21 AM   #3  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Height: 5'6"

Hi there ~

Just a quick note before walking out the door. Thanks to all of you for your 'pats on the back'. I mean, I couldn't have gotten this far without you's guys.

Terri ~ I think that Pizza Hut's personal pan pizza is about 14 or so pts.....I think I'm going to have that next Monday when Greg is in San Diego. I'll just eat a light lunch.

Es ~ I do the same thing....think and think about what is best and then, after thinking so much, I make the wrong decision. That's just how I am. Just hang in there, you'll know what's best for you.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday. I'm off the old grind.

Me <><
Old 10-29-2002, 09:15 AM   #4  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Janie,
Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Take care of yourself; you know you'll be working out soon.

Es,
You've said you really can't/don't do meetings in person...the online alternative might be best for you. I know what you mean about decision-making....I agonize over many of them. Worst-case scenario? You'll join for 3 months, if you don't like it, you don't have to continue it. You'll never know if you don't try! And Terri gave it a great review.

Terri,
You've done so well over the years (? ! ) that we've known each other now. Loved your reference to the little WW people!

HI to Dianne, Sandy, Patti, Ruth.

I was going to say that I'm continuing to struggle..but that's not the truth...I've really made no effort in the last few weeks to lose. It's all about self-control, and THAT is where I'm sadly lacking. I haven't gotten on the scale in a month. It's almost like a cycle now....reach the point where I can't stand it anymore, go join WW, have a good first week or two, then quit after having a bad/disappointing weigh-in. I don't want to do that AGAIN!
Sorry about the whining, thanks for listening.

luv,
~Jen
Old 10-29-2002, 09:45 AM   #5  

Zoe,
That is great to plan ahead like that. Knowing I am getting a treat (in point range) in the days ahead keeps me from going off points. I love eating guilt free. It seems to taste so much better.

Jen,
Thanks for the kind words. It is about 2 years that we have been on here hasn't it? We were here when my dog, Bucky, died weren't we? He died 2 yrs. ago next month. Tanner will be 2 yrs. old in two weeks. He gets a vanilla cupcake with a candle and a bone wrapped in wrapping paper. Great video watching him unwrap it.
You are not whining. These are real feelings and I have felt that way MANY times. It will happen. I say that we are still doing the program if we aren't gaining. Staying the same for awhile is hard too. It is hard not to go over a certain weight. I know I could go off the charts if I let myself. The possibilities are endless. You have heard the stories of 300# people. So sad. That could be me. It is hard not to let that happen.

Hope you are feeling better Janie.

This might be of some interest.

Lifestyle Activity As Healthy As A Gym Workout
by Carol Krucoff

One woman started walking laps around the soccer field instead of sitting during her child's practice. One man stopped driving to restaurants for lunch and started walking to lunch instead.

These were some of the small changes that added up to major health benefits for participants in Project Active, a two-year study conducted at the Cooper Institute for Aerobics Research in Dallas. Researchers randomly assigned 235 sedentary men and women into two groups: a lifestyle group that learned behavioral skills to help them gradually fit more physical activity into their daily routines, and a structured group that used a fitness center to do traditional forms of vigorous exercise such as aerobics, swimming, stair climbing and walking.

The results suggest that lifestyle activity is as effective as a structured exercise program in improving health.

For example, both groups decreased body fat by "about one clothing size. . .2.4 percent for the lifestyle group and 1.9 percent for the structured group," notes the study's lead author, exercise psychologist Andrea Dunn.

"This is good news for people whose barriers to exercise may include lack of time, lack of access to facilities or dislike of vigorous exercise," says Dunn. "Many people think exercise is an 'either-or' phenomenon, where you either go to the gym and work out for 30 minutes or you do nothing. This study helps demonstrate that every step you take counts."

Many people don't realize how little physical activity they actually get and how important it is for them to use every opportunity they have to be active.

In fact, researchers estimate that adults burn an estimated 800 fewer calories (about the equivalent of four glazed donuts) per day than did previous generations, largely because technology has engineered physical activity out of our lives.

For example, one 49-year-old aerospace engineer was able to drop 10 pounds and lower his cholesterol from 210 to 195 simply by taking a few extra steps at the office whenever he needed to use the restroom or get a bite to eat

25 Ways To Add Movement To Your Day

Here's a starter list of 25 life "activating" strategies:

Don't use the nearest bathroom. Use one that requires you to walk a bit, preferably up or down some stairs.

Balance on one foot while brushing your teeth. Balance on the other foot while combing your hair.

Park in the furthest space.

Move with your kids. Instead of just watching soccer practice, walk up and down the sidelines. Join in your child's karate class. At the playground, get off the bench and swing, climb, hang and slide.

Hide your TV remote, so you have to get up and walk across the room to push the buttons.

Never take an elevator fewer than three flights, take the stairs.

Get rid of your electric can opener and use a manual one.

Turn your coffee break into a walk break. Walk to a distant vending machine, cafeteria or coffee shop to get your snack.

Stretch or walk while you're talking on the (cordless) phone, preferably with a headset.

Set an "activity" timer or program your computer to remind you to take periodic walking and/or stretching breaks.

Take a five-minute walk before you sit down to eat.

Walk or bike to do errands instead of driving.

Take a minute to stretch your arms, legs, back, shoulders and neck whenever you get up from sitting or lying down.

Sweep your floors, patio and/or front walk every day.

During TV commercials, get up and walk or get down and stretch.

Socialize actively. Instead of sitting and talking, go for a walk with family and/or friends. Or go bowling, play Ping-Pong, basketball, bocce ball or line dancing.

Put your favorite mug on a very low shelf, so you'll have to squat down to get it out and put it back.

Take your dog for a walk every day. If you don't have a dog, borrow your neighbor's, or just walk your "inner dog."

Practice "aerobic shopping" by taking a lap around the mall or grocery store before you go into a store or put an item in your cart.
Avoid "drive-thrus." Park your car and walk in.

Practice good posture when you're forced to wait in line. Stand firmly on both feet and try to raise the top of your head to touch an imaginary hand held a quarter-inch above you. Let your spine extend, stomach lift, shoulders relax and arms fall at your sides.

Don't automatically drive. If the dry cleaner is across the parking lot from the bank, walk there. (Wear decent walking shoes or keep a good pair in your car.)

Install a chin-up bar in a convenient doorway, then use it often to chin-up, pull-up or simply hang.

Try musical housework. Put on dancing music and sweep, vacuum or wash windows to the beat.

Every time you hear a bell ring (phone bell, doorbell, church bell, etc.) take a deep breath and smile. Think of it as "mouth yoga" that relaxes hundreds of muscles in your face. And it's contagious, so pass it on.

Have a great day everybody.
Terri

Last edited by points; 10-29-2002 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:30 PM   #6  

Terri,
I loved your active lifestyle stuff. I am proud to say that I actually do many of those things. I didn't know that it made that much of a difference. Good to know. Thank you and Jen, I am felling better everyday, but my nose is still stuffed.

HI to everyone,

JanieD
Old 10-29-2002, 07:22 PM   #7  

Angry

Hi Girls

Just got home from physical therapy. I hated every minute of it cause I think it's a waste of time. I'll be going 2 times a week for 1 month. If that doesn't help I might need surgery. As I drove up I saw my neighbor putting up her Christmas decorations! Geeesh, I haven't even thought about Thanksgiving yet.

Terri, exercise is the key. That's what I always say. Pete swares by it. He thinks it cures anything & everything. Must be true cause his sugar is stable now. Dr. said he's doing great!

Jen, cool avatar & I love Queen of Fresh Starts. We are so much alike when it comes WW. How many times have I joined & quit! I lost count! Thank God for the internet cause I don't know where I would be. Taking one day at a time is the best I can do for now. Hang in there Bud.

Janie, sounds like you had a pretty bad cold. I hope that stuffiness goes away soon.

Was Dianne going on vacation? She hasn't been here in awhile. I had sent her some email jokes & she still hasn't checked them. I'm starting to worry about her.

Hi Zoe, Ruth & Sandy

Till tomorrow,
Es
Old 10-30-2002, 09:38 AM   #8  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Terri,
Thanks so much for the motivational articles. They came at a very good time. Yesterday I began reading a book I had purchased last year, titled "The Fit Factor: How Getting Strong Can Help You Lose Weight." It's a WW book, focuses on training for strength, flexibility and cardiovascular health. I've liked working with weights the most, second to walking. I've GOT to make exercise a daily part of my life. Besides helping with weight loss, it certainly slows down the aging process!

Es,
Since you exercise to begin with, I'd imagine that's why you're not impressed with the p.t.? I don't blame you. But it's worth it if doing so eliminates the need for surgery.
That's great news about Pete's health
How many times have I joined WW? I used to be able to sit down and remember every one, now suffice to say it's over 10 That's ok, as long as we don't ever ever give up!

We're having a cold cloudy week; tomorrow they're forecasting sprinkles and temps only in the 30's, too bad for the trick-or-treaters. I told Jess I'd go out with her and the boys; usually I stay home to hand out candy, but it would do me good to get out and walk with them.

HI to everyone,
~Jen
Old 10-30-2002, 12:09 PM   #9  

Hi

I'm on my lunch break so this will be short.

Jen, the reason why I don't like PT cause what I do there I can do at home nice & comfortably. Even with an appt. I have to wait at least 20 minutes before I'm called. Also, it didn't help me at all when I had the rotator cuff problem. I had to have suregery anyway. The more I think about WW Online the more I realize it's perfect for me. It's an inconvenience to have to go to the meetings. The best part is I'll get lots of support & if I gain alittle I don't have to dread to face the weighin person.

Gotta go relieve the receptionist for lunch. Time to get yelled, cursed, hung up on. But it's my job.

Later buddies,
Es

I apologize for the doom & gloom attitude. I guess it's in the air.

Last edited by fitforlife426; 10-30-2002 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:04 PM   #10  

Hi guys:

Hey Es - there's doom and gloom in my air too - maybe its the air in NY???

Sorry to worry you or anyone else. I've been in a funk and I guess its a combination of things, Willie's health issue (which is better). He'll be out of work until at least Nov. 21 - then we'll see. The doctor has been a little concerned over his high blood pressure, but he doesn't want to put him on meds unless it doesn't get better. Right now he's on sick leave, but when he goes back, there will probably be some kind of suspension he has to face - maybe a week or two and that will be without pay. Then I haven't been on prograrm since I went on the cruise and don't seem to have any inclination to get back on. In addition to that, there have been 8 people at the Univerity who have been laid off and although its not happening to me, everyone's morale is a bit down.

Anyway, I'll get through it - we all go through periods like this and I'm sure I'll be fine. Just didn't want to bring you all down!

To all of you losers - BIG CONGRATS! And to those of us struggling - let's hang in there.

I'll try to get back here soon. Hi to Es, Jen, Zoe, Terri, Ruth, Janie, Sandy and anyone I missed (sorry!)

Hugs,
Dianne
Old 10-30-2002, 04:52 PM   #11  

Angry

Mi Amiga! I was sooooo worried about you. I feel so bad that you're going thru a rough time right now. What's this about Willie getting suspended? Lots of lay offs going on. David's job is laying off too. Pray Girl. That's all we've got to hold on to especially in times like this. If it wasn't for prayers I would have been in the looney bin by now. I'm surprised the Dr. didn't put Willie on meds. My oldest sister has always had high blood pressure & has been on different meds but it never goes down. I think it has alot to do with her stressing over her alcoholic husband. Awww, I hope you feel better soon. I'm here if you need me. You have my email right? Hugs

Halloween tomorrow!!! When I get home from work I'm going to have to run in my apt. & pull down the shades. What a scrooge huh. Is scrooge only for Christmas? I'm just not in the mood this year. I'm struggling as it is & then Pete with his diabetes makes me not even want in the house. For all those that will be celebrating hope you have a Happy Halloween!!!

Have a great evening everybody.

Gotta go exercise to get out of this funk I'm in.

Love you's

Last edited by EsRios426; 10-30-2002 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:27 PM   #12  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Hello everyone ~ I can't believe that it's Thursday already tomorrow. Halloween.....I don't really celebrate this holiday but I put pumpkins and smiling scarecrows out. We have a dress up (optional) at work tomorrow but I don't think I'll be doing that.

Dianne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~ I'm so happy to see you here. Girl, don't worry about getting us down. We're here for you and to listen at ANY TIME. I know it's easy for me to say but you know me ~ I tend to disappear too when I'm not doing well. You are so close to goal so hang in there. Don't let it play too much on your mind, K?? Just let us give you our ears and shoulders.

Es ~ Ok, now I've heard everything!! Christmas decorations already?? I really don't like the bell ringing all night. And they don't understand that when the light is off, they shouldn't ring! Is that too hard to understand?? Haha...I guess I'm a scrooge too when it comes to Halloween.

Jen ~ good idea about walking with the kids. Be sure to keep warm. 30 degrees is COLD! It's supposed to be only high 40's the next 2 days. Brrrrrrr.....very cold for Texas

Hi Terri, Janie, Ruth and Sandy.....hope you's are all doing well.

Patti <><
199.4/179.6/148
Old 10-30-2002, 10:06 PM   #13  

Janie,
You are welcome. Glad you are doing better.

Jen,
Sounds like a good book. Good luck to you!
I really feel better when I am active.

Es,
To early for Christmas. Geesh! Yes on the exercsie. If I don't do it I maintain.
I am so glad Pete is doing well. What a load off your mind.
Hope everything feels all better tomorrow!!!!

Dianne,
Welcome back. I will keep Willy in my prayers. Good luck to the both of you. Hope you have a sunny rest of the year!!!!!

Well gotta go carve a pumpkin and roast some seeds. TTYL,
Terri
Old 10-31-2002, 07:37 AM   #14  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Good Morning and HAPPY HALLOWEEN ~ although I am not a true celebrater of this 'holiday', I do tend to participate in it in a fun way. I hope that all of you and your children have a wonderfully fun time.

I have today and tomorrow left and then it's WI. My scale isn't moving. As a matter of fact, it looks like it went UP a half pound. Being it's TOM, I am not too upset but really, I don't want to see a gain. I only have .4 to get another 5 pound star (20 lbs) so I am praying that I can at least get down a half a pound.

Today is our annual HALLOWEEN LUNCH at work......I will stay away. None for me. I am bringing my own

I will check back tonight, inbetween the doorbell ringings. I think this may be a good exercise night.

Later my friends,
Me <><
Old 10-31-2002, 12:01 PM   #15  

HI everyone,
I lost 1 lb this week, for the first time I've had a loss in I don't know how many weeks. Let's hope it is the beginning of a trend.

I don't really think of halloween as a holiday since I don't get the day off but I do think it is fun and I dress up too for when I take Ellen around the neighborhood, although this year because of my cold I will be staying home and handing out the candy while Steve takes her around.(Boy, that was a run on sentence if I ever saw one!) I am not doing anything terriblly original, just a witch, but it is still fun. Steve is trying to be Prof. Snape from HArry Potter, but I don't think most people are going to get it. Ellen made my life easy this year and is going as a soccer player. She is just going to wear her team uniform.

Have a Happy Halloween everyone,

Hugs,

JanieD
Closed Thread