Old 02-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #31  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, All,

This morning I opened my email and discovered this link in my Weight Watchers Newsletter. http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...id=590&sc=3010 This article has information that speaks to my problem of the moment, and it seems from reading your posts, it might help you all, too.

Lauren, that's a good thought, but I haven't even been thinking about the approaching milestone. I think part of it also might be I've gotten into a bit of a rut with my food and am wanting to eat some things I've been avoiding. I need to plan in small servings of those foods so I don't end up overeating them.

But it's mostly stress. I'm also dealing with aging, and ill, parent issues and that's the main stressor right now. Plus juggling two jobs. And trying to keep at least some of my music and social life alive. I didn't mind giving up a lot of that when I was raising kids, but I don't want to make those sacrifices for an aging, ill, cranky, demanding, abusive parent. I need the support of having that time with my friends and the relaxation of time away from work/caregiving. When I can't get a good balance in my life, my usual coping mechanism is overeating. I need to change that.

I love your tale about high numbers with a 1 in front of them. You're right, Lauren, our minds can twist in really odd directions. I also noticed your comment about spring coming. I wonder if we're all, at least in part, reacting to the drearieness of winter. I enjoyed the sunshine today, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow and the next day. I hate taking the train in the rain, but that's life.

I'm glad to see everyone popping in for support. That's what will get us past this slump and back down the road we want to be on.

Keep on turtlin'!
Lin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #32  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
Welcome Cherry-----don't worry about the past. Work on today one minute at a time. You can do this! Perfection can go out the door. Just think about the baby steps and do the best you can!

Very thoughtful posts, Turtles. I'd love to respond, but I've got the flu right now and have to go lie down.

Lin and Lauren, I'm sending : to help you handle your folks.

Bandit, here's for keeping such a nice social life going.
So long for now Turtles. I plan to be back later in the day.
Judy
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Morning, turtles:

Lin - I feel for you with all the stress you have, not fun. Aging parents to deal with, that must be very tough. THankfully, I haven't had to deal with any of that yet.

Judy - hope you are feeling better. I started sneezing like crazy yesterday & hoping not coming down with a cold. Hate those - all stuffed up & achey.
Yuck! So, get better soon.

They were calling for a big winter storm yesterday & thankfully, most of it missed us. I did abit of shovelling this a.m. before work but really didn't need to - it was melting as I was out there in my T-shirt. Truly, this winter for us has been remarkable - I don't remember a winter being as snow-free & mild as this. And poor, Florida - there are all kinds of signs here in the grocery stores saying that the fruit is frozen. We have the Olympics going on in Vancouver which is like a 4 hour plane ride from me - and that is taking up lots of our TV shows.

Congrats to the U.S. on all the medals - awesome!

Hope everyone else to coping which whatever they have to deal with at this time.

Take care!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #34  
Turtle Buddy

Quick post--a link to a NYT article that's really interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/he...tml?ref=health The question they're discussing is whether eating slowly causes you to consume fewer calories. Food for thought.

Keep on turtlin'!
Lin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #35  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
We rock! Sometimes I wonder about this site and group and where I would be without it. The answer is easy: nowhere and heavier!!!! I can acknowledge that right now we're all struggling, but our attitudes and our searching for techniques and changes that will allow us to live our lives and still lose weight and become more fit keep prevailing. I never know when I come to this site what might spark another push to lose more weight. You turtles have been magnificent and I appreciate all that you post!

I'm feeling a little better---I pretty much slept Monday away and I'm not 100% at all yet. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be fine. Had my WI and a good mtg. this morning. I was careful not to breathe on anyone and had a great WI. : this is my lowest yet 192.2# and so close to breaking 190#!!!!! (Yes, I know I had the stomach flu, and I know I didn't do anything but drink water on Monday, but for now this is what I weigh and I'm sailing with it. I KNOW I can keep this off with good eating for this WW week)
This is long-time virgin weight territory for me again and I'm so happy! I checked my chart that I keep online w/ WW's and May was the turnaround for me. That's when I started losing weight for real and I am bound and determined to go the rest of the way!!!!

Cherry, give yourself the opportunity to eat less and move more. Losing weight does wonders for your psyche!!!!!! Here's : to keep you going. The past doesn't exist anymore. Right now it's today that counts.

Lin and Lauren, you both are dealing with aging parents. I'm sending and to help you cope. God Bless!

Bandit, do you have TOPS tonight? Good luck at your WI.

I made a yummy turkey soup and put some whole wheat couscous in it.
I am also relying on Vita Tops---deep chocolate--for a one point fiber filled chocolate fix. DH stocked the house with food since I couldn't get out and that's a very good thing since we're facing another snowstorm over the next few days!!!!!

Okay, love to you all. Be well and happy and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
234.6/192.2/189 and deeper into the 180's (I feel that when I hit 160# I'll feel like I'm at a normal weight. I'm 5'4" and can carry that much weight. I'll worry about my "goal weight" for WW's when I get closer, but I feel optimistic today)
Old 02-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #36  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Judy, glad you're on the mend -- the flu is no fun. It has been going through our office like a mighty wind lately. Take care of yourself and rest up! Congrats on that lower number, even if it was caused by undereating when you were sick. I know you'll see it again "for real" soon, so don't lose heart if you gain a bit back this week. I never keep off "sick" weight losses initially, but the "real" weight will come off soon!

Bandit, we're paying crazy prices for citrus fruit because of the weather in Florida. Our winter has been milder, too; not nearly as much snow as some of the folks down South have been having. Although lately we've had our share and then some!

Lin, I hear you on the aging parents. Fortunately, none of mine are abusive; that would be very difficult indeed. I suspect my overeating of late is also linked to the same stresses, and I need to find a better way to deal with them, too.

Cherry, good to see you!

The scales are up and pants are tight again, thanks to the stress eating (mostly nuts, but they do add up). So this morning, I remembered what usually helps me -- focusing on the positives of losing weight. I made myself remember the excitement of losing weight, feeling clothes get looser, having more energy. I don't know why I let myself lose sight of all that sometimes! Anyway, it is really helping today. People brought in the dreaded Girl Scout thin mints, and I've managed to keep away from them without a problem. Yesterday it would've been another story.

I do so much better when I focus on the positives than on the negatives or the "what can I eat"s, the struggle. When I keep my eye on the prize, the rest seems to just flow almost effortlessly.

Have a great day, everyone.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #37  
Chick

Lauren, I love the idea of focusing on the prize! Very smart.

Also big thanks about the warning of GS cookies. Ican't have them in the house. Cookies and crackers are my biggest trigger foods. Last year I bought some and had the Scout send them directly to the troops in Iraq.
The kids got the benefit of the order, the troops got goodies they'll love, and I didn't have to look at the boxes of cookies and hear them calling me day and night. Worked for me!
I just checked my chart on WW's online e-tools and see that since early May I have lost 25#. I am very proud of my weight loss. I am setting a challenge to be 35# down this year so that by April I will have met that goal. and
Good luck to us all.
Judy
234.6/192.2/189
Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #38  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Wow, Judy, that is OUTSTANDING!! I am SO impressed! 25 pounds is fantastic! You're really inspiring me here. I want to be able to say the same thing next fall or winter.

Way to go!
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #39  

Morning, turtles:

Judy - WOW, awesome weight loss. Again, what are you doing for such great results? Every once in awhile I try something else only to lose a few pounds then gain them back. I find counting my points works best for me, but still with all the new diets coming & going am tempted to change things up. That is why I keep losing/gaining the same pounds over & over.
By this time, we all know what works for us & we should just stick to it.

Stayed the same at my w/i last night & that is frustrating, so really have to rethink some of my "extras". Last week I had chicken wings 3 times - so that wasn't good.

ANyway, have a great day - calling for a storm today & hoping most of it misses us.

Take care!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #40  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Bandit asked me what I'm doing to actually lose weight. I checked my chart and here's what I found. My sister also helped to point this out. What I've been doing is pretty much losing a small chunk of weight and then maintaining that loss over a couple of months. The good news is that I have not been losing and then gaining a lot. I'll spend several weeks kind of balancing my new weight loss by gaining a smidge and losing a smidge. Now, I would never recommend this to anyone, but over the course of ten months, I am very pleased with my results.

So, to prove what I mean, back on Nov. 11th I weighed 193.4# and on Feb.24th I weighed in at 192.2# So, for all of December, January, and most of Feb. I fooled around with a four pound up and down loss, but I never went higher than the 4#. My leader suggested I check out the plateau books which I did and they were helpful. Mostly they suggest in a kindly manner that when we hit plateaus we have lost some of our motivation. That was true with me and so I tightened up with myself. I weighed my chicken servings and when it was time to go to bed, I didn't have the peanut butter tablespoon I had allowed myself previously. I also had to stop keeping nuts in the house (Lauren, sound familiar?) because they are a trigger food for me------and I simply eat too many of them.
So, I exercised a bit more regularly. I made sure I ate the right number of veggies/fruits and I tracked my points carefully. I switched from the e-tools to actual writing down my food and that was a good switch for me for now. (My most successful friend at WW's, Grace, who has lost over 230# always switches things up. Right now she's on a veggie kick and it's doing wonders for her shape.)
Finally, when I'd get down to the last 4 or so points at night and get nervous, I'd write down all the things I could choose from. That settled me down a bit (I have to acknowledge that I have an anxiety about food--God knows where that came from). For example, next to 4 points, I'd write popcorn, orange, Vita Top, 1 point bread, apple, etc. and see that there was plenty of food to choose from-------however there wasn't room for peanut butter out of the jar or handsful of nuts.

Does that help at all? As far as the wings: I would count them in before I started eating for the day. I'd account for them even though I'd be eating them at night------and then plan to have eggwhites on one-point bread for breakfast, a huge salad with 2 ounces Boar's head turkey (one point) for lunch------or maybe a Boca burger on one-point bread and loads of salad. I'd be as creative as possible. Also, I've always got low sodium soup, homemade, in my fridge and with this weather, that's working for me too.
I don't consider myself especially successful. This journey is taking me down many side roads, but I hope this can spark something for you. If none of this sounds reasonable, and since you're so sociable----especially on weekends, would you consider starting your points at night, going through the next day and doing your adjusting around lunch and making a smaller point afternoon snack for yourself to keep your points tight? Then by dinner you start your points over again. I've never done that but I've read about a few people finding that to be successful.

to us all and and : We've all lost plenty of weight (Cherry, I'm counting you in on this because I know the weight will start to drop soon) and we're doing great. Now we can all work on tweaking what we're doing and keep on keepin' on. Anybody else have good ideas?
Lin, loved the WW link. I read that myself and felt it was an article that helped a lot.
Bandit, one more idea: do you drink a lot of Diet Coke? Some people are finding that that one item can slow up their weight loss. Just a thought

Love,
Judy
Old 02-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #41  

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. I am giving it another try and i am going to try to write everything down. My main problem is not to give up before i even get started.
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #42  
Chick

Cherry,
You can do this!!!!! Tracking will get you where you want to be.
Judy
234.6/192.2/189 and deeper into the 180's
Old 03-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #43  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
I'm working really hard to ditch this weight. My dd's worked out well. That was Sat., on Sunday I ate well and today I am quite a bit under points as I go into the evening. I'm hoping for a : on Wednesday.
How is everyone doing? How was the weekend?
Judy
234.6/192.2/189 and deeper into the 180's
Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #44  

Hi Judy - thank you for all the helpful information. I have done the tracking starting at dinner the night before & that actually works very well from the socialzing end of things. You are accountable right up front - so thanks for reminding me of that. I do drink Diet Coke, but not every day but some weekends I will have a few (especially with my chips or popcorn) so double whammy there.

Hope everyone is having a great week!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #45  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Am having a good day. WI is tomorrow and I hope it's good.
How's everyone doing?
Judy
234.6/192.2/189 and deeper into 180's