3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Watchers > WW Clubs and Groups

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 08:08 AM   #31
Super Surfer

No doubt you are all wondering why anyone in their right mind would take a 30 Hour Express Bus Trip to Vegas :confused: (that means driving straight through with 2 drivers taking turns at the wheel). I thought that taking a bus would be a "relaxing" way to travel and give my Hubby a chance to see the sights. Originally we signed up for a 4 day trip to Treasure Island in Minn., but that was cancelled at the last minute twice. So....we were offered this trip at no extra cost... $99.00 each including accommodations and a couple of meals for 1 week. 30 hrs to get there, 4 nights in Vegas and 30 hrs. home. We thought we had died and went to heaven, it had to be the chance of a lifetime. Yeah, right! So 6 am on Sat morning, there we were on a beautiful tour bus with our friends. 5 min. into the trip it was announced that we were not going south into the US, but going west through Can. to Lethbridge, and then south. (They had to pick up 2 couples in Sask.) ALSO, the toilet was not working! YIKES!! All 47 of us had to go immediately! They promised to make a lot of stops, and believe me they did. Well, there we were pushing westward down the Trans-Canada Hwy, when the bus started shimmeying, every now and then the back end would shake. The spare driver jumped up and went to talk to the other driver, they made a cell phone call. Then they announced that when we get to Lethbridge we would stop for a few "minor" repairs. There was a repair truck waiting, and they took off the back wheels. As it turned out, each wheel has 10 bolts, and 8 of them were stripped. We were very fortunate to get there without an accident. "Not to worry", they said. "Another bus is on its way from Calgary". Hours later it came. It was the oldest, smallest, dirtiest bus in the fleet. However, being hardy Canadians, we climbed aboard, squeezed into our tiny seats and hoped for the best, after all, were were going to Vegas for $99.00. 4 of the back seats were facing each other, which left no room for 8 legs. Now, we only have 1 driver, who has no idea how to fix the seats. It was 11:00pm and he said he would look for a garage and someone to look at the problem. We travelled like this for 1 1/2 hrs to the border, this is when Pat (a lady traveling alone) had enough. She went into the duty free and borrowed a wrench and took the seats apart and put them back the right way while the men stood around amazed. It was very late then so we went to sleep in the chairs. (I needed 1 1/2 pills to get me through that night.) Around noon the next day a horrible odor was coming out of the washroom, the toilet was plugged! The driver refused to dump till he got to Vegas and so we sat in that horrible smell for another 8 hrs. We hung those little "pine trees" all around the vents in the door. It got dark around 5:00 and we were about 3 1/2 hrs to go yet. They turned on the lights to find out we didn't have any lights, the electrical system was broken, so there was no TV, no music, no nothing. We sat in the dark till we arrived at 9:30 pm. When we got off the bus they promised all would be fixed when we were to leave for home. I think we all wanted to believe this to be true.

Before we boarded the bus to come home, we noticed it had also been in accident, the left back side had a large dent in it, which explained why one window was permantly fogged up, why the panels were away from the wall, why duct tape was holding on some ceiling panels, and why some wires were exposed. But, we got on anyway... another announcement, the toilet was dumped, but it isn't working properly so would we only use it in extreme emergencies? Anyone who went to the washroom got the evil eye, no one wanted it to back up again. Also, they were unable to fix the electrical system. A couple of hours into the trip one seat back collapsed and a lady was laying in the lap of the guy behind her. Good old Pat jumped up, got her strap off the carry on bag and tied up the seat. She was amazing!
Things were going OK for awhile, but night was approaching so we were getting ready for darkness again. The bus has to weigh in at the beginning and end of every state. For some reason our driver didn't weigh in when he entered Montana, so when he went to the scale on the way out, he got detained. We sat there for over an hour. We are really behind now.. when we get to the border, the Can guards decide to do a search..guess who's luggage is searched first?? OURS! When they called our name I went numb. Well they went through our clothes and asked a bunch of questions and then went onto the next victim. It was a random search and we sat there for 2 hrs. Finally we get back to Lethbridge. Now it is dark again and nobody is smiling anymore. The relief driver is supposed to be there, but apparently he was sick and didn't tell anyone. Our hostess made a bunch of calls and they said they had located another driver but we would have to wait till he came from Calgary. By this time the 30 hrs are up and we should be home, but no, we sat in the lobby of this motel for quite awhile. Ok, we are back on the road, driving through Sask. when we hit a storm with gusting winds. The Trans-Canada hwy was like 2 tire tracks where the semi trucks were plowing through. Visibility was almost nil when we came to a long line of vehicles. We sat there for awhile when things started to move. Now this is when the defroster broke, and the drivers windows iced up, and he was unable to see. So a passenger took out one of his plastic slot machine cards and stood there scraping the window so the driver could find the yellow line through the drifing snow. One lady in the back said she was sure hair spray would clear a window, so we were spraying it over the windows periodically, it worked, but the bus reeked. We went through 2 cans of spray. We drove through the storm, and that is when the heater in the bus died. I cannot tell you how cold we were, we could see our breath in the air. Someone said, with the wind chill it was 50 below. I believed it. The driver tried to get the weather on the radio, but you guessed it.. it was broken too. Finally we stopped at a little town. We were 2 hrs from home and the passengers were in revolt. I felt sorry for the hostess, everyone was hollering at her. Some people opted to take a Greyhound bus home. We stayed with the "Titanic". It was 7:30am and we thought, that the sun would help the window defrost, people were rummaging through their carry on luggage, and we were wrapping ourselves in diry clothes, anything to keep warm. 48 hours later we arrived home, we called a cab and at 10:00am we were in our little nest, declaring to the world, NEVER AGAIN. I had swollen ankles and fingers for 3 days. We were afraid to eat and drink too much because of the toilet facilities, and I don't think anybody should sit so long in cramped quarters.

So gals, take this advice, If it seems too good to be true, it usually is!
Old 12-06-2000, 09:15 AM   #32

Trudy I often get 'lost' when a very long post is posted but you had me on the edge of my seat with this one
The trip may well have been the trip from **** but what a gift the way you described the whole trip, start writing a book
Thank you for sharing and I am pleased to hear you are home safe and sound.
Cheers
Maria
Old 12-06-2000, 11:05 AM   #33
Net browser

Hi Everybody, please go 50 & 60 yr old thread no. 83. See you all there.
Old 12-06-2000, 11:06 AM   #34
Life Time 2001

Oh.............Trudy.............
Let it be known here and now...
Forget my tree skirt.
Seriously tho
Im so sorry you had to go thru this.
Was a trip from **** for sure! But you did survive and the rest of the trip was good! You did have fun in Las Vegas. So wipe out those BAD Memories and remember the good!
Old 12-06-2000, 11:08 AM   #35
Life Time 2001

oops go to 83 Please!
Old 12-06-2000, 11:51 AM   #36
Net browser

Ok gang I'm back. TRUDY I KNEW
how that bus trip turned out but I sure enjoyed reading your post about it. I particularly liked the bit about those scented Christmas trees to try to keep the toilet smells at bay. Geez I don't know which would have been worse and the combination of the two must have been uhm.....interesting YIKES.
LILY I guess I must be pack rat because I sure have a lot of stuff...not coffee cups like your DH just STUFF.
CAL well hello, nice "seeing" you. Sounds like not only are you having a good time but staying on program too. Good for you. I liked all the Christmas traditions that the gals posted and I certainly like yours too about doing something nice for children. You seem to have a very full and good life Cal and I always enjoy your posts. You will soon be down the wee bit to achieve your 90# loss. WTG
GLENDA only my friend Trudy could go on a 30 hour express bus/holiday that takes 48 hrs. LOL
PHILL I sure love recipes. In fact when I first got my computer I printed and printed recipes off the internet and then bought a couple of big binders to put them into, ok well, maybe I bought LOTS of big binders to put them into. I mean I printed off recipes that there is not hope of me ever trying, but I printed them off anyway. Now I am a little bit more selective. I still look up and read the recipes but I don't print them ALL anymore.
I saw DEE today at WW and then she came back to my place for tea and she looks great like always, but I think she was tired from the outing. She hand made each us a gift of room refresheners in little glass jars from gelatin and scented oils. Smells lovely and looks pretty too.
I did fine at WW today, maintaining my goal. The lecture today was, it doesn't matter how much food is around for the holidays, or how much people encourage us to eat it, or eat treats in front of us, ultimately the decision is ours as to whether we CHOOSE to eat it or not. BROTHER....what a burden. LOL
Well it's getting late so I'm going to say good night. Talk to you all tomorrow. Have a great day.
Old 12-06-2000, 11:58 AM   #37

Trudy, Wow! that bus trip really was from ****! The next time I come across something that sounds too good to be true, I'll be running as fast as I can in the opposite direction thanks to your warning. I'm getting chilled just thinking about your freezing ride home. You have a lot of fortitude to have stayed with it all the way.

Margot, I'll be at Disneyland between Christmas and New Year's and am looking forward to seeing the changes since I was last there about ten years ago. Is the expansion finished? What did you think of it? Congratulations on keeping OP and finding the motivation to do so when you needed it. I plan to follow your example with the veggie tray - we don't have See's here (and don't I love their chocolates), but our office is awash in cookies, caramel corn, fudge and my favorite candied pecans. A few healthy snacks might just keep me on the straight and narrow until after the holidays. Of course, here in South Louisiana our holidays last an extra six weeks, and somebody always brings a wonderful king cake on Fridays right up until Mardi Gras.

Karen, I should have listened to your suggestions before I went to our office's annual ladies Christmas party after work tonight. Everybody brought something delicious and our hostess thoughtfully provided bowls of candy and nuts on every table in the house. Actually, I did ok. I made the best choices I could, moved the nut dishes out of my sight, tried to take small portions, and didn't make a second trip to the buffet table. I had some banked points, and there's a whole week before next WI to work it off. I went to my meeting before the party and was down 2 pounds from the last disastrous WI the week before, which helped my resolve.

Maria, I've wanted to visit Australia ever since I had a pen pal from Adelaide when I was a teenager. I hope to make it one day after I retire. Right now, hot weather sounds very appealing as my hands are getting very cold at the keyboard. I, too, am picturing all of us sitting in our computer rooms among varying amounts of junk, sipping our tea and composing our replies. I don't remember who first asked about "food loathings" , but I'll tell you mine - eel! It's been twenty-five years since I ordered it in a restaurant, but I'll never forget that disgusting taste.

Enough about food. Anne, I went to the Moyle Council website, and your region certainly looks like a lovely place. I remember a recent PBS series on scenic rail journeys and one of them was a train from your area to Belfast. I was especially interested because my grandmother came from Northern Ireland. She was from Bessbrook, where she lived with her family on her grandmother's dairy farm, and commuted to Belfast where she worked in the linen mills after she left school at the age of twelve. I had the chance to visit Ireland in 1981, but did not get to the north on that trip. I hope to return there someday and see all the places Grandma used to tell us about.

Well, I'd better get to bed now. I have tomorrow off and my handyman is coming early to help me install a cedar lining on my closet walls. I've had the boards for a month already and it's time to get this job finished.
Old 12-06-2000, 12:00 PM   #38

Trudy, Wow! that bus trip really was from ****! The next time I come across something that sounds too good to be true, I'll be running as fast as I can in the opposite direction thanks to your warning. I'm getting chilled just thinking about your freezing ride home. You have a lot of fortitude to have stayed with it all the way.

Margot, I'll be at Disneyland between Christmas and New Year's and am looking forward to seeing the changes since I was last there about ten years ago. Is the expansion finished? What did you think of it? Congratulations on keeping OP and finding the motivation to do so when you needed it. I plan to follow your example with the veggie tray - we don't have See's here (and don't I love their chocolates), but our office is awash in cookies, caramel corn, fudge and my favorite candied pecans. A few healthy snacks might just keep me on the straight and narrow until after the holidays. Of course, here in South Louisiana our holidays last an extra six weeks, and somebody always brings a wonderful king cake on Fridays right up until Mardi Gras.

Karen, I should have listened to your suggestions before I went to our office's annual ladies Christmas party after work tonight. Everybody brought something delicious and our hostess thoughtfully provided bowls of candy and nuts on every table in the house. Actually, I did ok. I made the best choices I could, moved the nut dishes out of my sight, tried to take small portions, and didn't make a second trip to the buffet table. I had some banked points, and there's a whole week before next WI to work it off. I went to my meeting before the party and was down 2 pounds from the last disastrous WI the week before, which helped my resolve.

Maria, I've wanted to visit Australia ever since I had a pen pal from Adelaide when I was a teenager. I hope to make it one day after I retire. Right now, hot weather sounds very appealing as my hands are getting very cold at the keyboard. I, too, am picturing all of us sitting in our computer rooms among varying amounts of junk, sipping our tea and composing our replies. I don't remember who first asked about "food loathings" , but I'll tell you mine - eel! It's been twenty-five years since I ordered it in a restaurant, but I'll never forget that disgusting taste.

Enough about food. Anne, I went to the Moyle Council website, and your region certainly looks like a lovely place. I remember a recent PBS series on scenic rail journeys and one of them was a train from your area to Belfast. I was especially interested because my grandmother came from Northern Ireland. She was from Bessbrook, where she lived with her family on her grandmother's dairy farm, and commuted to Belfast where she worked in the linen mills after she left school at the age of twelve. I had the chance to visit Ireland in 1981, but did not get to the north on that trip. I hope to return there someday and see all the places Grandma used to tell us about.

Well, I'd better get to bed now. I have tomorrow off and my handyman is coming early to help me install a cedar lining on my closet walls. I've had the boards for a month already and it's time to get this job finished.
Closed Thread