Old 01-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile #210 Bale of Turtles Conquering the Chill!

We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Good morning everyone and happy wednesday! It is super snowy here today and still going strong but supposed to stop by lunch time.

Eating is doing better, I made a pot of veggie soup yesterday and SF Jello to have on had... getting in walks when I can! Thanks for the recipes!

Have to run and get the dogs out but will come back on line again later on when things calm down.
Princess1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Morning, turtles:

Princess - we are getting more snow as well & suppose to end sometime later this evening. I got my drive & walkways shovelled before coming to work this morning & will have to do it again after my Tops meeting tonight.

Funny, I also made jello Mon evening and had some for dessert last night.
It does the trick with a cup of tea after dinner.

Have a great day, everyone!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #4  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Snowing here too. It's nasty and the snow has turned to rain. It's good to hear from Princess and Bandit and know that their eating is on track and even in this miserable weather they're getting in their exercise. I'm heading to the and today will be a good day.

Good luck at TOPS : tonight, Bandit.
Take care and be well Turtles!
Judy
Old 01-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #5  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Yesterday was a good day. Today I'll be going to a new restaurant for lunch with my book club. The roads are fine and although we still have snow and ice, it's nothing in comparison to what many of you are dealing with.

I made my own chicken broth from the bones and wings of the chicken I roasted and I have to say it was a cinch to make and I have no idea why I thought it would be so much work. Crazy. And I used that strained broth to make an incredibly healthy and delicious soup, without any salt, so I think I'll be doing that again.

Take care, have a good day and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
Old 01-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #6  

Hi turtles:

Well, my Tops meeting was cancelled due to weather but according to my own scales I think I am down 1# this week.

I shovelled for another hour last night & it was like a workout, I was sweating like crazy by the time I finished. But it has at least warmed up.
Then the cable was out so I ended up watching a movie then going to bed.

My gf is coming tonight for our dinner & we are having pasta w/hot italian sausage & tomato sauce & of course, some wine.

Have a great day!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #7  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, turtles!

Bandit, shoveling is a great workout, isn't it? I need to do some of that this weekend. We have a snowblower, but I usually can't get it started. How useful! Hope you had a fun dinner with your friend.

Judy, you're quite the cook! I'm always impressed by your recipes and know-how. I'm glad to see you again, and glad you're not giving up on yourself. We aren't, either!

Princess, I keep forgetting about SF jello. Thanks for the reminder; I'm going to make some this weekend!

We had a major plumbing disaster the past couple of days. It's been coming on, and yesterday it finally hit. Just before I was going to leave for work, I thought I'd just check the basement and see how things looked. Good thing I did! We had standing water in the storage room! I called DH, and he came home and helped me move everything out to the other side of the basement. I also called a plumber who came in afternoon and spent about 7 hours trying to fix the problem.

It turns out that the house isn't draining properly to the sewer; something is jamming our outflow line, near the street. The plumber thinks it's because of work the city did a few years ago, but of course it will cost hundreds more dollars to find out if that's the case, and then thousands to fix it! No idea if the city will pay for any of it; we'll have to look into that. But the plumber wasn't hopeful.

This is our fourth plumbing disaster in the past two months, and all of them have been unrelated! Fortunately we were able to fix the others ourselves, but this one could be a financial nightmare.

The joys of home ownership! I'm really envying apartment dwellers right now.

OK then. On the bright side, I'm keeping on with my program, even though weight loss has been slow to nil this month. My body just does NOT want to give up any weight right now! But I had a lot of fun yesterday going through my closet and getting rid of LOTS of clothes. I tried them on for DH, and he told me if he thought they looked tired or huge. If so, out they went. I love paring down what I own periodically, and this felt great. I've discovered that getting rid of my larger sizes is a good idea for me. When I hit the upper limits of my clothing sizes, I find that very motivating to lose weight. So I'm not going to keep the bigger clothes anymore.

Have a wonderful Friday, everyone.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #8  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Bandit, congratulations on your : I hope your TOPS group meets next week so that you can keep in touch with them and see your results! Keep up the good work!

Lauren,
I can't believe you had another water/plumbing disaster! This is too much.
I'm sending : that you can locate the problem and then get city help to correct it. Egads!
On the other hand, I loved reading about you trying on your clothes in your closet and getting rid of the tired or huge clothes. What an accomplishment!
Weigh to go. It sounds like a lot of fun. And yes, getting rid of too large clothes seems to help a lot of weight watchers keep their weight in check. I hope your scale starts being friendlier this month to shake up a weight loss.

I just stepped on my scale and it's not moving in the right direction. We had a Mardi Gras Mystery Party on Saturday night and it was so much fun. I made a menu of Cajun and Creole foods and I ate more than I should have.
Today, again, I have to plan and prepare, get on the treadmill and turn this around.
By the way, my friend at WW's gave a great, although short, speech at a meeting I attended. Afterward we headed to Applebee's for a WW pointed out lunch. It was fun and made me feel good. This week has been heavy on going out for meals, so now I'll curtail that.
Everybody stay well and happy and keep on keepin' on.
Judy
Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #9  

Hi turtles - sounds like everyone is staying OP for the most part.

It has been nice & sunny and warmer up here the last few days & yesterday I spent 1-1/2 hours outside moving snow from ends of drive to blvd where there was abit of room. Felt good being outside for that length of time and helps to see people on sidewalk when I am backing out of drive.

Got in 2 walks of 2 miles each time over weekend & swim as well. Stayed OP other than some potato chips but hoping for a loss at scales on Wed evening.

Judy - your party sounds like fun & hope you all have w/losses this week.

Lets keep it going!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #10  
Turtle Extraordinaire

The scales finally showed some improvement, glory hallelujah. One does learn how to be patient if nothing else! Never been one of my strong points, though.

Bandit, you and I had a similar weekend with the snow removal! It got up to almost 60 degrees here; a real fluke. So I spent about 3 hours out on the driveway, chipping up ice and getting rid of hard-packed snow. It was wonderful to be outside in the sunshine, waving at neighbors, etc. And I worked up a good sweat, too!

Judy, Mardi Gras already?? How is that possible??

Plumber had to postpone his visit; his camera broke. So now he's coming out on Wednesday to take pictures inside our drainage pipe and see what's going on. So far, everything is still moving along ...

Back to the deep freeze today, but this weekend it's back into the 40s again. So I think our coldest days may be over. My DM, who lives in North Carolina, says she has daffodils and irises coming up!! Hope she enjoys her early flowers this year, because once she moves back up here she won't see them until April.

Forgot to bring lunch today, so I went to a salad bar and carefully avoided all the fattening stuff. Ended up with a very tasty salad and felt virtuous.

Oh, last night I tried on all my spring clothes. I ended up getting rid of 3/4 of them, and I fit back into my "smallest" outfits! That was very exciting. I can't wait to wear some of these things again.

Have a great day, everyone.

Last edited by LaurenH; 02-02-2009 at 02:20 PM.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #11  
Chick

HI Turtles,
Yesterday was a good day. Hey, here is an easy and tasty recipe for chicken. I get tired of grilled chicken or plain chicken cutlets.

Use a mini food processor or whack away with a rolling pin--grind up Fiber One original cereal.
Dip cutlets into egg white mixed with a touch of water and stirred.
Then dip cutlets into ground Fiber One cereal. Press the crumbs into the cutlet
Spray with Pam or mist with olive oil
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15minutes (depending on the thickness of the cutlet).

These "additions" are point free since 1/2 cup of Fiber One is 0 points and so is one egg white. You'd have to watch the amount of olive oil, but I used a teeny amount and didn't count it. I have to say I had heard of this process before, but never tried it. That chicken looked so paltry last night that I went ahead and tried the new technique. It really was good. I added pepper to the chicken and I'm sure you could add poutry seasoning or any kind of spices you like to the crumbs to jazz up the taste, but trust me--this beat regular plain chicken.

Lauren, we had a Mardi Gras style murder mystery party. It's okay--it's not Mardi Gras time yet, but believe it or not, it's getting close. I think Ash Wednesday is the last Wednesday in February. My dh and I love murder mystery parties. We have a group of relatives who really enjoy them and we are getting better at role playing the parts. Lots of laughs and good company. The reason it was a Mardi Gras theme was my dh checked Oriental Trading for different theme parties, found a Mardi Gras group of decorations and plates, etc. Then he found a murder mystery with the Mardi Gras theme. It really would have been better to hold off the party for a bit, but he's already on to the next party which will be Valentine's style and he's giving it for our grandson==he's inviting cousins and relatives and it should be a lot of fun too.

Lauren, I love that you got to purge your closet of spring clothes that are too huge AND that you are fitting into your too small clothes. You are doing great! Also kudos that you had the patience to wait out the time while your body took its sweet time releasing more weight. : so much of this is a matter of trust and patience. Trusting that what we do will reward us with a weight loss and patience when it doesn't happen quickly or when we plateau. Weigh to go!

Bandit, for getting rid of all that snow. Keep up the good work with your exercise and watching what you eat. You're doing great. Joining TOPS has been a boon for you! :smile:

I will make today another good day. Tomorrow is my WI and I want to get to my meeting and WI.
Take care, be well and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #12  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
I got to my WI and was up .6#. The good thing about getting to a meeting is that I come out enthused and knowing I can do this. First step--get rid of the recent 1.6# gained. That puts me at 20#down. Next step--I'll plan about later.

Take care and be well. It's sunny here today and it felt good to get out.
234.6/215.6/214 will put me 20# down
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #13  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
I had such an interesting thing just happen. My sister who lost a great deal of weight last year (from 1X down to med/small) just sent me her "fat" clothes. They are all nice, but I've got conflicted feelings about this. It feels odd. Yes, I really am thrilled that she lost so much weight. Yes, I am jealous that she did and I didn't. I also have two nieces who both elected to have gastric surgery to lose weight. So all of a sudden I've gone from being overweight, but kind of in the middle in our family, to being the overweight one. It doesn't feel good. Thanks for listening! Receiving the fat clothes did help me kick things in gear tonight and I ate well all day plus I started getting some small household projects in shape. feels good. I need to concentrate on doing the right thing to lose weight. I can do this.

The main reason I chimed in again tonight is that I checked out the fiber one website and there are recipes galore. Since Fiber One original cereal has 14g. of fiber in each half cup of cereal, it is a great extender to chopped meat, etc. I checked out the dinner recipes and there is one for a Salsa Meat Loaf and also crumbs for chicken cutlet that sound a heck of a lot better than what I did. You might want to check out the recipes.

Keep on keepin' on. I know I am. :
Judy
234.6/215.6/214 heading back to 20# down.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #14  

Hi turtles:

Judy - I have some Fibre One cereal on hand, so will definately check out those recipes - what a good idea, thanks! I'm sure your sisters intentions were good, but I know how you feel. But, just enjoy some new outfits while you can & soon they will be too big for you.

Lauren - congrats on fitting into your "skinny clothes" - what a victory for you!

Had my meeting & was down 3# from last w/i - but with some up/downs over Christmas - so I am officially now at 200.25 and down 20.25# at my Tops.
Won the draw for market basket which was cleaning products, so that was nice as well. Will be all set for spring cleaning.

Been keeping track of my walking & over the last 4 weeks have walked 26.15 miles (I know that doesn't sound like much for some, but it is good for me)

So, for the next 4 weeks my goal is to beat that & lose 6# - "Baby Steps"

Hope everyone else is staying motivated and warm!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #15  
Chick

Okay Bandit, you rock!!!!! Weigh to go!
You have had a great weight loss! Fabulous! Joining TOPS and getting new momentum and sticking to your plan have had such great results. Congrats on your : You are exactly where I want to be, and I only have to knock off 12# to get there. Thanks for showing the way. Also walking and keeping track are great. You've got your own challenges to yourself and that's what you will be successful with. Yay!
Thanks for the insight about the clothes. You are right--who says I need to stay in this size? It's up to me to change things around and get into a size medium myself.

I caught a dopey cold again, but I know winter will be winding up soon and I'll get out for fresh air, etc. Everybody have a good weekend, get in the water, the exercise, and the food tracking and chime in to let us know how you're doing!

Princess, I'm thinking of you and praying for you--there's a good job out there for you.
Ariana, let us know how your quilting is coming along.
Lauren, has the plumber gotten his camera fixed yet? I've got my fingers crossed and I'm sending prayers for all of us in this group that we keep on keepin' on and are happy and well.
Judy
234.6/215.6/214 and lower