Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 09:54 AM   #16  
Fun Blonde

Well, Slavika, I came by for Peggy and Lily to go to teatime, but they weren't ready, so just expect me. (Wouldn't that be great if that were really possible?) It is nice to hear from you more about your son and family. He sounds as smart as his daddy.

Anne - I have had so much experience with a child who I did not agree with on his choices, but we have weathered some pretty big crashes. Joel knew a girl for 3 weeks and she was pregnant. That resulted in one disastrous marriage. He then married another who was 3 months pregnant at the time. (I have always said he would have been a better off if he weren't so fertile. And another thing we disagreed about was the fact of my belief that sex without a commitment will always hurt somebody, somewhere--do not believe in it.) Another disastrous marriage with a girl who decided to be a lesbian. One grandchild from each. Pain everywhere. Then Joel met Shanna and lived with her (she had 2 kids from another marriage). We love Shanna, but the decisions Joel made (or didn't make) have made their life very difficult. They juggle 4 kids in 3 different locations. Joel is now an attorney, but he worked and went to school nights for years. We have always had a good relationship and I admire him for being a good daddy and determined, but oh how much easier his life could have been! My second child has been a straight-shooter from the outset and has really looked at his brother's difficulties and learned from them. There have been so many times I wanted to throttle Joel, but just had to help him deal with his choices. Sorry I have rambled. At the beginning of law school Joel also had testicular cancer--one more thing he had to deal with. Life is good now.

Maria - are you getting close to buying your fancy sewing machine? That is why you are working, right? We are all waiting for our Christmas tree skirts--remember Slavika and Trudy's projects for us got lost in the mail.
Glenda
Old 05-07-2002, 07:14 PM   #17  

G'day all,

This is becoming boring but it is yet another beautiful autumn day here, 25 degrees. There is supposed to be a change around friday.
I also read in the paper this morning that we can expect a very mild winter, a bit like you on the other end of the world experienced this winter just gone.

Glenda Kids.....I am fortunate that I have not had any major issues with my children, just a few niggly ones and they had been easily resolved. My children live both very different lives and that at times, has caused a bit of friction.
It sounds like Joel does have his life on track I don't think you have rambled at all, I think you and your dh can take a lot of credit for the fact that things have now turned out the way they have.

Yes... the sewing machine, that is still very much on my mind but I will wait till I am home for good. There is not much point in buying a super duper machine and then having it sitting at home going obsolete. What I am doing though is learning more and more about photoshop and I now have to investigate if I can download designs from there to the sewing machine I want to get.
I can assure you there will be no fancy little car before I get my sewing machine

Slavika I agree with Glenda, it is nice to hear a bit more about your son. It is great that he is making some time to teach you some more computer skills. Did you learn lots?? I find with computers that one thing leads to another and before you know it, a couple of hours have passed On the other hand computers can also cause a few arguments , dh and I do things quite differently, he has to know the reasons why, I don't care as long as it works. He then gets annoyed because the way I do it is not the way it is supposed to work, are you confused...so am I
I think on-line tutorials are just great, I don't feel pressured by anyone and it doesn't matter if it takes me all day to grasp something that may take 5 minutes for someone else to understand.
Looks like tea time will have to be without most of us, one day......
Have a great day all,
Cheers
Maria
Old 05-07-2002, 07:25 PM   #18  

I just checked my email and received the following
A well-known speaker started off his seminar by
holding up a $20 bill.

In the room of 200, he asked, "Who would like this $20
bill?"
Hands started going up.
He said, I am going to give this to one of you, but first, let me do this. He proceeded to crumple the bill up. He then asked, who still wants it?
Still the hands were up in the air.
Well, he replied, what if I do this? He dropped it on the ground, and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty.
Now, who still wants it?
Still hands went into the air.
My friends, you all have learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value.
It was still worth 20 dollars.

Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that comes our way. We feel that we are worthless.
But, no matter what has happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value, dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who love you.
The worth of our lives comes not in what we do, or who we know, but by who we are.
You are special. Don't ever forget it!!

Always count your blessings, not your problems.

Amen!

Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-07-2002 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:41 PM   #19  
Member Florida Chick

Thumbs down Hello

Another sunny Florida Day.

Glenda: Thanks for sharing. Why is it that when one is going through a difficult time the tendency is to think no one else has ever experienced anything like that? And then we find that we are not alone, and that there are sympathentic words for us, from people who have been there, done that! And especially, knowing that things are okay now with Joel. It is hard to watch your kids make unwise choices, and then have to live with the results. Thank you for the support.

Slavika: Sorry I couldn't find a way to make it to 'tea time' either. One of these days...:

I have a question for you great computer operators. I have Norton Anti-Virus, and on 4 different occaisions, I have got a warning about an email. I have followed the directions and now have 4 items quarentined. Now how do I get rid of the stuff? I haven't found any answers as yet, but it seems to me there must be a way to delete it forever. I am happy to know that Nortons is working. These are all unsolicited emails. Any ideas?

Maria: When you get that new fancy sewing machine, we will be giving you orders for all sorts of great stuff. Is this one that will be able to co computerized embroidery too?

I was talking with a friend today whose cousin is from Germany and is also on WW there. They were checking the differences in the point systems, and in Germany all the fruit is 0 points like our veggies are. Everything except Bananas. I thought this program was world wide. Karen-Lily- Ever heard of this?

I'm doing the liquid thing again, for 2 days this week. I hope it will give me a jump start. "See" you tomorrow. Ann
Old 05-08-2002, 10:44 AM   #20  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Great link! Had lots of goodies in there. Diffenetly spend alot of time there Tell your DH to buy me a Z3 I want one badly!!!!

Glenda: I thought my DH was the only one who did that! Mine uses brinks for our cars.

Ann: It is fun playing with graphics. Im becoming addicted Sounds like you had a good talk with your DD. Im sure things will work out. Keep us posted. As far as deleting the quarntined things. Some time you can go in and just deleted them from your Windows Explorer. But sometimes they just wont delete. I dont know why that is. But as long as they are quarantined you are fine.

Peggy: I was waiting for you for dinner. Sorry you got lost. But now the Tuna is gone....... It was good! I get it at Trader Joes. They have pretty good fish.

Slavika: How was your computer lesson? Nice of your son to come and teach you. Sounds like he has a super job!

Best get to work ALAS............
Old 05-08-2002, 08:35 PM   #21  

G'day all,

A bit later than usual, we were off-line again this morning
I have been very busy writing letters, one to my medical insurer who just give conflicting advice and it looks like I am out of pocket for $500 for the recent colonoscopy I had. I rang the centre as well and thought whilst I am there I will put in my beef about the unproffesionalism of the doctor who treated me. The woman was very nice and agreed with me and asked if I would put it in writing..no problem

Ann sorry I cannot help you with your Norton Anti virus problem. Why don't you email them with your problem.
Yes the super duper machine that I want to buy does embroidery. In fact I am hoping to send each and everyone of you a handtowel with an embroidered Australia Blue Wren. But that will be while off yet No doubt when I get the machine, someone will remind me of it

Lily glad you like the site, it is just the best, so addictive

Hi to everyone else, gotta get back to my letter writing
Cheers
Maria
Old 05-08-2002, 09:01 PM   #22  
Net browser

Hi Everybody Sorry none of you made it for Tea Time. Glenda looks like you did your best to pick up Lily and Peggy but ALAS they were not ready.
Dee was over for Tea Time and brought me a beautiful book called Spirit of Ukraine....500 years of painting, with reproductions of some beautiful paintings. Tea time always goes by so quickly.
Lily and All my lesson with my son was great. There would not have been any point in him trying to explain some of those things to me when I first got my computer but now that I have a "bit" of knowledge, I at least recognized that he was speaking in English LOL About a year or two ago, my son had designed a business (well personal card) for me. My lesson on Monday, was how to design a card, (any kind of card) and to learn to put objects in front of other "objects" and back of other "objects". Time was spent on him explaining to me what "objects" were
He also spent time showing me how to set up a "filing" system, and not just dumping EVERYTHING into "My Documents".
He taught me a lot of things and I learned a little of them.
I have to say tho, I know more this week then I did last week.
DIL and granddaughter went to the Imax for a "girls night out", so I had my son and grandson here for dinner. It was nice for me as DH is still out of town.
I don't think either Karen or Trudy have posted for a few days....but I did see Trudy at Tea time on Tuesday, and she looked good as usual.
Our weather has not been very good, and last evening I took my granddaughter to her soccer game at 6:15 and it was really quite cold out. I don't think we are every going to get summer.
Night all.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:42 PM   #23  
Super Surfer

Thumbs down I'm here...

I haven't been posting, but I have been reading. I just haven't been feeling too great.
The weather is horrible... and that doesn't help.
We had my DH sister and hubby in for a visit. They went home yesterday.
I will have my family over for Mother's Day. I DO NOT COOK on that day, but we do get together at our place. My DD and Mom have a birthday on the 15 & 16th of May so I will be having something again next week.
Maria $500.00 is a lot for the scope. Since we do not pay for any Medical service it is always a shock to me when I see the cost. I just had a Gastroscopy at the hospital on Monday and I didn't even think of what that would cost.
Ann I gave a lot of thought to your DD situation. I have to agree with the others, just be there for her, because it probably will end and she will be feeling bad enough.
Slavika your little red car is so cute... I just it.

Have a great day all...
Old 05-09-2002, 06:58 PM   #24  

G'day all,

Another Friday and another week has gone by!
We went out to dinner last night and had a bit of chat about our future, we both agree the positives still outweigh the negatives of our lifestyle but we have also set ourselves a target (financially) and once we reach that, we will seriously think of going home for good. Depending on where our next job will take us, will also depend on how quick we will reach that target.
This weekend we have decided to get away from the hustle and bustle of Sydney and are driving to Canberra. Canberra is our capital city and seat of parliament, it is a well designed city perhaps a little clinical. It is about 4 hours drive from Sydney. Next weekend we have our 4x4 wheel drive course which has it's starting point in a town on the way to Canberra. We will time to see how long it will take to get there.

Trudy Good to see you post but sorry to hear you have not been well. Hope you are looking after yourself and once the better weather starts it will also make you feel better. Have a great Mother's Day.

Slavika Ah the computer lessons, your lesson about files reminds me of my dh sitting me down and explaining the value of being organised and filing it in the right place other than in 'My documents' It took a little while for me to see his point but now I am more organised than he is!!!
It is all trial and error but eventually the penny dropped for me and now so many things are second nature

Well everyone, I wish you all a very Happy Mother's Day and whilst I do not have my children in the same city, I know I will enjoy my weekend.

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-09-2002, 07:43 PM   #25  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: Alas didnt make tea time. Would be fun if we could tho! Sounds like your son is teaching you some things. Soon you will be an expert! The filng system is great really easy to find things you are looking for. You probably wouldnt want to see my puter. I so many folders and folders underneath them to. But I know where to go when im looking for something.

Trudy: Sorry to hear you have been sick. Weather doesnt help either. Sounds like you have a good Mothers Day planed. No cooking is the best!
You need to relax to! Get better!

Maria: Your weekend trip sounds fun. Enjoy yourself! Also sounds like you had a serious chat about the future. Hope it doesnt keep you away from home to long. I know you have been homesick.

No big plans for me this weekend. We are having friends over Sat night for dinner but thats about it.

Later!
Old 05-10-2002, 07:14 AM   #26  

Default Glenda you passed me up

I was standing on the corner. That was me in my pink ruffled dress, patent leather shoes, and Minnie Pearl hat with the price tag hanging off of it. I had on my white gloves and I had a basket of goodies for all of you. Maria you shouldn't have said anything about making us all a present. When I first started reading this thread it was when the tree skirt thing was going on and it it still going on. LOL These girls are relentless and do not give up. I wish you all were closer to give me puter lessons. Where do you go online to learn? My dh knows nothing except how to play solitaire. It's been a busy week. My son and his wife are moving and they are not too organized. We have been helping and are going today to finish up. I have never seen so much "stuff". They have a pretty new house way way over on the other side of town. It is out in the boonies. See you all later,
Old 05-10-2002, 10:45 AM   #27  
Fun Blonde

Ah Peggy, that was you! Sorry, I passed you by, but Mama always said pink ruffles and a price tag on a hat were sure signs that I needed to speed up, not slow down. She just didn't know 'bout you!

Now our Mothers' Day is sort of up in the air. Tomorrow we go to a play in Guthrie with my brother and sister. Afterwards, we were supposed to go to Kyle and Gina's for a Mothers' Day dinner. Last night Kyle called to say her grandfather is dying and they will probably be called there. So, we might just be vagabonds, wondering where to go. The other son has invited us there for the day, so that is probably what we will do. Nothing is set in stone.

Tonight we have a benefit auction for my friend who is in the hospital for 3 weeks, trying to get her achilles tendon to heal. It has been so awful. She is so obese--that has to be a part of her not healing, don't you think? Anyway, they are having an auction-hamburger feed. I bought $50 worth of stuff at Dollar General that I hope will look cute enough to bring in more than that. She is one of those people who have helped, given money, seen needs, paid for perms for poverty-stricken teens, etc. all her life. So, I hope the community gets together to help her.

Trudy - so sorry to hear that you aren't feeling great. Weather will sure bring you down. Have a nice Mothers' Day and enjoy.

Glenda
Old 05-10-2002, 10:51 AM   #28  

Default God Morning All

Like Trudy I am reading but no time to post. It is now Friday and my day off. So to speak. I have a million things to do to day. We were gone last weekend so I've got that stuff to do also.

My DH is a peach. Last week I told him of a dining room table and chairs that I found at a used furniture store. Been looking at new and way out of my price range. Any way I found this one and wanted him to go look at it with me but He give me the not now thing And says whats the hurry. So I drop it until Monday when I bring it up again. Still I can't get him to go Then when I came home Wednesday night There it was in my house as a Mothers day present. Needless to say I was thrilled. It is perfect for my little house. It has 2 drop leaves so it is just the right size for the 2 us but hen when you put up the drop leaves and add 2 more to the center I have a table 7 feet long. It great! He is a peach!

Slavika when reading about your little mishap with you new little red car I though now this sounds like what I would do. I was driving my DH's SUV and judging distance isn't like in a regular car. I backed into a van loaded whit men who all jumped out to see the damage. None thank heavens. But I put on my sweetest smile and said how sorry I was and we all left happy.

Ann the deal with your daughter and the younger man. I totally agree with every one just let it go and deal with it the most positive way you can. Life is too short to let this kind of a thing get in the way of a family relationship.

Maria, Lily &Slavika I need to learn about files I Just put every thing in MY Documents . Where caan I find out this stuff?

Peggy You are always so busy. But don't work yourself to death moving the kids.

What are all of your Mothers Days plan. I'm Having the family over every one is bringing something.

Do any of you get that Cooking Mag. Called LIght & Tasty My DIL made the cream filled Strawberrys in one of the issues that were to die for. When I get the Mag. back I'll post the recipe for you that don't have it. I'm also going to use it as one of my give away recipes for my WW groups.

Trudy I hope your feeling better. The weather has been just crazy here also Yesterday it was rain , snow ,hail, wind and the sun was out most of the time all this was happening. It was so cold it felt like January.

Hello Glenda Hope all is well at your house. I remember you telling us about Joel a while back. Good to hear all is going well for him now.

Karen
Old 05-10-2002, 04:54 PM   #29  
Life Time 2001

Peggy: Dont know how Glenda could of passed you buy. Basket of goodies would of been a dead give away it was you
Now lets not start on that skirt thing again
Which Im still waiting for ALAS............

Glenda: Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned. Hope your goodies bring in more money. I love those stores. You can usually find something there! Have fun at your auction!

Karen: Your DH is a peach! That was so sweet of him to get that table for you! I get the Light & tasty Magazine, but I dont remember that recipe. Sounds good tho!

Found these tutorials on how Organize your computer. The first one has a good picture so you can get an idea.

Organize Files

Look Towards the bottom for this one

Last one

Have a great weekend all!

Last edited by LilyG; 05-10-2002 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:24 PM   #30  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

I think it's probably about time I took a turn in starting the new thread......so see you all on No. 179.

Slavika
Closed Thread