3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   WW Clubs and Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups-106/)
-   -   60's and Beyond #114 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups/145402-60s-beyond-114-a.html)

painter5 07-21-2008 01:26 PM

Time seems to fly by. Seems like I was just here and it has been about a month. My resolution is come by more often. It has been hot and later today it is supposed to storm. Hopefully it will be a gentle rain. Nothing really exciting has been happening. We celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary on the 11th.
We watched my nieces dog last week while she was at the beach. I sort of miss her now. She kept Max company.
I guess Maria is still on her adventure. It sounds interesting. It is hard to keep up with her.
Welcome home Ann. That sounds like an experience at the airport. Wonder what that was all about but I guess you will never know.
Glenda I read about you falling off your shoes. It is funny but a good thing you weren't hurt. I do dumb things like that. We would make a good pair.
Suz hope you sell everything at your market. I have been hitting the local one for corn. Really good.
Hi everyone hope your summer is good and you are staying cool.

flaggies 07-24-2008 12:21 AM

G'day all,

Our holiday is becoming the holiday from ****! We are currently at Cape York, nothing much here other then the fact it is the most northern tip of Australia.
The road to here was the worst we have ever travelled and the tailshaft of our car can totally break any time (at the moment it is making a very bad noise) We cannot risk going back on these roads unless it is fixed. The part has to be flown in from Cairns and because it is very heavy passengers and the mail takes priority:mad:
Our windscreen has cracked, our solar panels have given up the ghost, our two way radio attenna has snapped, all in all not good.
Where we are is right on the beach but you cannot swim because of stingers and crocs. Lots of flies, mozzies, sandflies, geckos and frogs! Very hot and humid and last night it rained all night and we were forced to sleep in a closed up camper, a bit like sleeping in a sauna.
Home at Brighton looks pretty good and we have decided when the part does finally get flown in and the car is fixed we will head home the quickest way (still about 5000 kms:()

As you can imagine counting points etc. is the last thing on my mind:dizzy:.

Don't know when I get another chance to log on the internet....

In the meantime it was nice to read everyones posts.

Cheers
Maria

Lizziepie 07-27-2008 01:57 PM

Oh My Goodness- Maria- So sorry that you have had all this trouble. I do hope that you get your part soon. What a disapointment for you both. How about your friends you are traveling with? Did they too experience such catastrophes. I do hope that you get home safe and sound.

Peggy- nice to catch up with your summer. I think that we are all a bit lazy with the posts over the summer. So many things to do, and vacations, etc. We have had our share of thunder storms, and they mostly come now in the afternoon, just about when I am ready to go to the pool.
I am trying to stick with my points, but :rolleyes: Don't always make it. I didn't gain on our vacation, just stayed the same so that us positive.

Suz: I bet your garden stand is increasing in business every week. Once people know you are there, they will come for sure. We do have a Farmers Market here once a week, but the veggies are not nice home grown ones like yours.

Trudy: I hope your wrist is doing better. Do try the magnetic bracelet, if you haven't already. I know I get relief from mine. I even wear one on my left ankle, which gives me trouble from time to time. I bet you are the only one who has Bunny circles, instead of crop circles.:lol: How cute baby bunnies are.

Glenda: I hope your had a wonderful time with your 'bestest' friend. It is so nice to be able to do something like that, just girls. I thought about you and the bad weather in South Texas. I don't remember when you said you were going to San Antonio. Did you find the SAS shoes. I know you won't be able to fall off of any of their shoes.

Trish: In what part of So. Carolina do you live? Anywhere near Charleston or Myrtle Beach? We used to winter in M.B for a couple of years, until we came to Fl. That whole area has changed so much, and grown so much. Sometimes I'm not sure I am all that happy with what some folks call 'progress'.

Sally- Hope your summer is going well. I'm sure you go to camp a lot, and I bet Patches has a great time.

We went out to eat this noon, and went to Red Lobster. I was a bit proud of myself, as I came away with 12 points. Shrimp skewers and broccoli make a great meal, and with a small salad I was good. My biggest points came from the biscuits. Cant resist them.:D: Can't make them at home.

Time for the pool soon. Hope everyone is doing well. Ann

suz 07-29-2008 03:18 PM

Afternoon everyone
I have been so busy with doing market promotion we had a radio station give us a plug last week and are going to do it again this We are putting a flyer in our local paper I hope if i can get a hold of them there voice mail is full so I emailed them Some how my phone number got into the paper as a contact for the Market so I am getting about new vendors wanting to come in May have a couple of new ones this week and the event vechile from thr radio station may drop by on her way back to the station All in all it has been busy but because we have had cool and wet weather this year everything is a couple of weeks behind but people seem to think if its in the stores we should have it to!!!

the phone is ringing so I better go Take care Suz :carrot:

pattygirl63 07-31-2008 01:47 PM

:wave: Hi Everybody,

Can't believe it has been almost a month since I was here. For so long we've been homebodies and now all of a sudden we are busy, busy. DH fell and hurt his back and now we go to the chiropractic center 3 days a week for treatments. After going to a class with him, I am going to start going on August. By going on Family Day as Tony's guest, I get 2 xrays free. I tried going to Core, but couldn't do it so I'm back on Flex. Staying with my pts and being more active.

Maria - I am so sorry you have had such a bad experience on your trip. How sad to be on a beach with all those critters so that you can't enjoy it. I hope you get your car fixed quickly and you get home safely.

Suz - You are busy, busy. Sure wish we had a good veggie stand here. Sounds like you are really successful.

Ann - I live just south of Charlotte, NC. We go do our shopping at Costco and Sam's in NC about once a month. We used to go more often until gas prices went up. I love traveling in this part of the country as it is so beautiful with the mountains etc. Didn't get to travel this year because DH's surgery and fall. Hopefully we will get to do some of that the end of the year or next year.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'll check in again when I can.

:hug: Trish

survivor 07-31-2008 03:55 PM

Well, I just read this thread and I am sure I remember very little. Suz, you better watch out or you will have a fulltime job, just scheduling vendors. We have a Farmers' Market here and it is pretty outstanding. It is at our local park. Trish, hope your DH recovers quickly. What is that about 2 free x-rays? Sounds like a deal for those of us of a "certain" age. No young person would be overly excited about two x-rays, huh? So, what about Core was impossible. I have heard it is not a doable program for very long.

Maria, I am so sorry that one of your dream vacations turned into a vacation from ****. Cold. Hard to imagine what that is like. But the car parts and being in a remote location. What a pain! Just keep your sense of humor, I guess. Are some of your supplies your favorite Merlot. That can help with the sense of humor.

We did have a wonderful vacation. Still sort of on a high. We did not run into bad weather, but it was threatening. Our granddaughter, her husband, and baby boy were supposed to go down to Corpus Christy but they just stayed in San Antonio and had a lot of rain. We actually had great weather. We were in New Braunfels (sp), went to the Schlitterbaum Water Park, the next day to Sea World (since we were there five years ago they have added a water park too) and then on to the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine. What a deal that is! It is a water park inside and outside. This is some kind of fantastic place. It is a money-maker, for sure. There were 7 of us there and our DIL had the foresight of not letting anybody else have the "activated" wrist strap. If the kids had had one, they could have charged anything anywhere. Talked to a lady whose young girls had gone in for a chocolate pedicure and she owed an extra $120. Anyway, we had so much fun. We did go shopping at the San Marcos outlet mall and that was another great day. Believe me, I think I have had my fill of water parks and sun for awhile. Just glad we can keep up with them all. But, I was with a size 6'er and a size 4 young lady. I felt like the Blimp of the Universe. Came back and I am so determined to do better. At first it was easy, after eating a path through Texas. Now it is hard. Duh!

Peggy, Karen, and Canadians, hope you are enjoying the nice drop in gas prices. Can you believe we are excited about gas going down $20/gallon when it has climbed about a $1/gallon this year?

See you lovely ladies later.
Glenda

Lizziepie 07-31-2008 05:00 PM

I can hardly believe that August is almost here. Where does the time fly to?

Suz; I hope your sales venture will keep growing. You are certainly trying all the avenues to make it a success.

:cp: It is raining once again. We are in the summer rainy season, and we need the rain so much. It is going to take a lot to get our water table back where it should be. I did actually get in 1/2 hour in the pool this p.m. before the rains came.

I think the hardest part about the Core program is being able to be sure when you are 'satisfied' . It is too easy to over eat, to be satisfied.

I did a 'nono' today and bought some bridge mix. If I have a weakness, that is it. I listened to the old 'tempter' this afternoon.

We had to go to Plant city to the Dr. Tues, and so Karen and Frank and Phil and I had a nice lunch together. It is nice to be able to actually meet and spend time with a cyber friend.

I have to shut down as we are having thunder, and i don't want to fry the computer. More another time.

Hi to everyone. Ann

flaggies 08-03-2008 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
G'day all,

The trip from **** has only become worse and we are now about 5 days away from home.
We finally received the part for the car and got out of Bamaga. The first day we decided to try and increase the speed and perhaps try and 'skim' over the bad corrugations, potholes and the bulldust.
We arrived exhausted at Bramwell Crossing which is a homestead with a camping ground. We had a good sleep and in the morning I decided to give Alan a break and I drove. The roads are incredibly bad with many huge dips and I was very cautious however not all the dips have a warning and as I came to one of the dips without a warning, I put the breaks on and lost control of the lot. I should never have braked but alas always easy in hindsight. The campertrailer flipped but luckily the Landrover thought about it but decided to go back on its 4 wheels!!!
We were very lucky not to be injured but here we were in the middle of nowhere and what now.:(
Three pighunters came along and helped us and right the camper and thought we could probably drag it to the Morton Telegraph Station (10 km away) where we could decide what to do next. We slowly made our way to the station where we then also discovered we had a flat tyre on the car.
We decided to try and nurse the camper to Weipa, the closest town 170 km away. It is very expensive to get a truck out to pick it up (around $2000) and we were not insured for that eventuality.
We set out about 9 in the morning and very slowly made our way to Weipa, stopping frequently to cool the breaks with water from the rivers we had to cross on the camper.
Once we got to Weipa 8 hours later, we reported the accident to the police and then set out to find accommodation. We were fortunate to get a beach villa right on the beach, the next day we had to try and figure out what to do.
I had taken many photos and we emailed some of them to our insurance company.
By the end of the day we had the all clear that we could leave. The following day our next challenge was to try and fit everything out of the camper in and on top of the car.
We left Weipa at 5.30 am to try and get to Cooktown in one day, which we managed to do. Once we were at Cooktown we also had phone coverage again and were able to ring everyone.
Our travelling companions were very worried about us and couldn't work out why we had not contacted them.
We met up with them in Cairns yesterday and had a mini reunion, they had also had mishaps but none quite as serious as ours.
It looks like the camper is beyond repair, I must say I am not upset about that.:carrot::carrot: We are insured for the market value so should get a reasonable payout.

I have quite enjoyed the campertrailer but I am OVER it!!! Hotels and motels from now on.
I am happy to say that Alan agrees with me however he had wanted to do one more trip with it.

Australia is such a large country and we could not have been further away from home when we had this mishap.

Hopefully we will be home by the end of the week, what a relief that will be when we finally drive into our own driveway!

I have attached one of the photos of our adventure to give you some idea.

Once I am home i will put p a little website with all the photos of our trip, the bad AND the good!

'Speak' to you all soon from the comfort of my own home,

Cheers
Maria

suz 08-03-2008 06:54 AM

Morning everyone
Maria thank goodness you and Alan or OK the good Lord mist have been with you that day the road in the picture reminds me of the road we were on last year when we went to our Daughters wedding We were rerouted because of a forest fire and had to travel logging roads very dusty and very narrow

The market went well we had 2 new vendors also one that did not show up and another new one next week So this week we had 5 vendors and next week 6 for sure but one of the new vendors was going to hand out flyers to some people she knows that are interested in doing more markets so who knows how many will show up If only are weather was not so wet it seems to rain every few days we need sun and warmth

Hope everyone else is doing well Suz :carrot:

survivor 08-06-2008 05:11 PM

Omigosh! Maria, I am so glad you all are okay and you made it! You know us old unadventurous sort just sit here and marvel at you two. I told Leon about your trip from **** and he just shook his head. Just so glad you are okay and I am very excited about seeing the Australia you saw but through your camera lens. You should be home now.

WELCOME HOME!

nanacas 08-08-2008 09:25 AM

I hope Maria made it home in one piece. That was some accident and they were very lucky to out of it only losing the camper. Maria, I don't think I would have the courage to attempt that 'Outback' trek. Welcome Home! Rest, and catch your breath! You and Alan will need a vacation from your vacation.

Suz: Hope your Farmer's Market is still going strong. Once the word of mouth gets about you will be really busy.

Glenda: I agree and Jack said the same thing that trip was not for him.

Ann: Bridge mix...chocolate and nuts...my downfall. Hope you are able to hide it and only go to it in dire need times! LOL
I have been trying to keep to my diet and have been OK so far but it is difficult. I have diagnosed as pre diabetic and the Dr. sent me to a nutritionist who suggested that I watch my carbs and eat about 45 g per meal with a 20 g carb snack between meals. He also prescribed a blood monitor so I could get used to what the carbs do to my blood before and 2 hrs after the meal. Well the numbers were all over the place and then I asked what the norm should be. He suggested below 115 fasting in the AM and below 165 after meals. Then I saw the nurse at the Wellness Center and she said that the 45 G was the max and that I should try for less. Bottom line is when I tried that the numbers came way down. I have been eating a better carb balanced day and my numbers have stabilized for about a week.
I also feel better....don't feel sleepy after meals any more. I will go to the DR. in October for another blood sugar blood test which will tell me if the Diabetes is under control. He said that your blood makes a complete change in your body every 90 days which is why the test is in October.
Since May I have lost 11# and he wants me to lose another 15 and feels that if I do it may clear us some of these diabetes problems as well as the high blood pressure that I have just developed.
It doesn't pay to get old or fat! LOL
Hope everyone else is doing well and enjoy the balance of your Summer.
Gloria

survivor 08-08-2008 12:57 PM

Gloria, I am so impressed with your #11 gone. For me to lose that, I would have to starve, I do believe. You will feel so much better all around when eat properly. I know on vacation I ate heavier and just felt sluggish. I have blood pressure problems and wish I could get off that medicine. It is not an easy medicine for me to take, but then none is.

Maria, again, just so happy to have you back fit.

Where is everybody else? I hope you are all doing well and staying cool wherever you are.
Glenda

flaggies 08-12-2008 11:04 PM

G'day all,

Finally back to some normality, both grandgirls are asleep and I thought I would take the opportunity to post.

Gloria that is fantastic your loss of 11 lbs, keep it up!

I am not back to my routine of the Wii Fit just yet, I did however buy some new sneakers (the old ones are lost with the camper) and they are fantastic and I have been walking with relative ease.

As some of you know, I have put up a website with photos of our 'holiday'!
They can be seen here www.adam.com.au/alanscholz

Cheers
Maria

pattygirl63 08-13-2008 08:29 PM

Maria - WELCOME home. I know you were glad to get home. Enjoyed the pics. Sorry about the accident and the break down. Glad it is behind you.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Trish

Lizziepie 08-15-2008 06:44 PM

Hi all:
I didn't realize that it had been so long since I posted. Gloria; congrats on the 11#. And glad that you are feeling better. That makes the change of diet worth it.

I just found out that the Dr. is not pleased with my cholesterol level, so he put me on a generic statin drug, 20mg. to see if it would help and hopefully that I wouldn't have any side affects. I'll go back in october to see what is happening. If it is not one thing it is another. so I am watching my diet much more closely, so hope that will also help the situation.

This is just a quick hello and I'll be back later. Now I am off to line dancing class. We do have a good time and we are all 'golden oldies'

Ann