Health-Focused Friends

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • Hello!

Here's a group for any Weight Watcher members (or anyone thinking about joining) to check in, get support and encouragement while trying to become healthier, not just thinner. We want to focus on eating a wholesome diet, exercising more, having a positive outlook on life, and losing weight along the way. This is what Weight Watchers promotes anyway, but sometimes it's hard to stay focused. Together, we'll make it!

Ok, tomorrow is going to be a challenge for me. First, I have a brunch at our church, then in the evening, I'm going to my nephew's wedding and reception. Food, food - everywhere FOOD! I hope there will be some points-friendly foods at both places. Combining some-points friendly foods with portion control, and some preplanning should get me through the day. I plan to have 2 egg whites for protein before the brunch, and some walnuts a small bit of turkey before the wedding so that I'm not too hungry by the time we actually eat.

Who else wants to focus on becoming healthier?
  • Hi Jane,

I'm here. What a great idea. I think some of us have come to realize that we have to eat the healthy foods... veggies, fruits and whole grains. I just read that these are the foods that boost our energy. Maybe that is why we get so tired when we WW use so many pts on the junk foods we like to eat. Now I understand why the new 100 calorie snacks which we are allowed to have not only do not help me to lose weight, but they also seem to drain me of my energy. It would interesting to learn how certain foods affect each one of us. I don't think it hurts to have some of these things perhaps on "special" occasions and plan them within pts, however, I am convinced there should be more healthy foods eaten.

I hope you had some WW/pts friendly foods at your gatherings, but if not do the best you can. My sister who does WW has one day each week that she eats what she wants. I'm not sure I could do a day, maybe one meal or one snack. I think eating a little something before is a good idea. I have read some where about doing that to keep yourself from being too hungry. They told what to eat, but I don't remember what and not sure if I kept it or not. But I think you made good choices.

Have a great day.
    Trish
  • Jane,,,that is planning on staying on plan...ha ha see the circle there...but taking a healthy snack that will tide you over will eliminate the feeling of wanting to gorge. I am the snack lady at work...I have a drawer full of healthy nuts, granola bars and popcorn,,,(no butter or salt popcorn which everyone hates...lol more for me)

Because I have been working long hours I have learned to bring lots of things to work. So I have instant oatmeal,,,the 33% less sugar which I just love. Add a cup of fruit and its a full meal deal.
    I bring cans of soup...some crackers. Hummus...(anyone else addicted?)
    and lots of bottled water.

I know by planning ahead I don't feel like cruising the vending machines,,,or going to the gut truck (we have a woman who drives a truck with hot and cold foods,that comes by our work twice a day) I refuse to eat off of it...just gross over cooked,,lots of fatty foods. The most Ive eaten off of it is cheese,,,she sells small 1 once packed cheese.

Well Im off to finish cleaning the house...lots of laundry and huge dust bunnies.

ttfn
  • Hello,

Trish - I think you're right about junk food. Too many carbs in general tend to make me lethargic, even if I'm within my points limit. Seems there are a whole group of people that have a "treat day", either saving their points, or going off plan. I guess I'm just the sort of person that would find it to difficult to get back with it the next day. As you said, a treat "meal" is more like it.

Angie - I like hummus, too. The first time I had it was with some friends in Philly, and it was so good! This isn't a dish that's well accepted in rural Indiana, though, lol. A big YAY to you, being the "healthy snack" lady at work.

I made it through yesterday without blowing it. The brunch was trickier than the wedding reception, since there are so many good cooks in our church. At the reception, I did well with the meal, then skipped cake and punch. I don't really like that kind of cake, anyway.

Today's Father's Day meal will be ok, point wise, since it's at my house, I made sure there are plenty of healthy foods.

How's your day going?
  • Hi

Jane - Terrific job. You made it through yesterday without blowing it. Just think, you have that success to get you through other situations like that. I've heard it said that when we think we can't do something or are afraid we will mess up in a situation that we should think back to our times of success. Then remember "If I did it before, I can do it again". Of course, you have many of those and so do I, but sometimes we have a tendency to forget those. And now you have another "trophy" of success to add to the others to draw on. Enjoy your time with your family today.

Angie - Good for you. You such a smart girl to have such a great plan to stay OP with your healthy snacks at work. You know there may be people at work that you are such a good example for and may never know about. I am a night snacker so I too keep healthy things for me to snack on. However, I am learning that it isn't good for me to eat salty type snacks at night as it will cause a temporary gain. I like hummus and it is good to use on a sandwich gives it fiber. Since I am a sandwich person, lately I like to spread Laughing Cow cheese, 1 pt., on one slice of my bread since I don't use mayo much any more.

I did good this week, but can do better. This is a progress at work and a progress of learning what works for each of us individually. I was OP, I stayed within my daily pts. A few days I missed eating all of them, but I went over daily pts only one day and used 4 of the 35 WP. However, the pts probably balanced out for the weekly pts probably not using many or any of the WP. I need to exercise more. I will work on that this week. Knee has bothered me some since I walked up all those steps at the hospital last week and I even felt some pain in the other one. I should never have done that. I know that if I start exercising and get more weight off that the knees will improve more and more. I lost 4 recycled lbs again, but at least I did lose them and hopefully I have learned what foods to eat using the WW guideline for portions and will continue to lose. I've got 2 more recycled to get rid of and be back to virgin territory.

Hope y'all have a great day.

Trish
  • Hi ladies,

Sorry, for not stopping by earlier, but the weekend seems to be flying by.

The 3 year old birthday party was fun. Lindsay is a typical middle child, very outspoken!! LOL It was an early party because Misty had planned it for the park on Saturday morning, but it was threatening rain so it was at her home instead. We left there about 11:00 and preceded to search for Wii Fit and a Wii Console for Misty's birthday next month. We were told that Circuit City was getting the Wii Fit this morning...so , at 9:20 I was parked outside of the store waiting for it to open at 10:00. Good thing I did, they only had 6 of them but no consoles. So, I started making some phone calls, drove 35 miles to another town and purchased the Wii Console. Now my stepdaughter will have her own Wii Fit to work out with on a daily basis. She had 3 kids in 5 years and is desparately trying to lose the baby weight.

My dh is at work (yes it's father's day) but he will do whatever it takes to get his job done. He is the mmanager of the mechanic shop at a large auto auction. He is actually a working manager, meaning that he has to still do a good bit of the mechanicing. He has one mechanic working under him and one helper...but like most companies overtime is frowned upon...Maurice is salary so he is there 7 days a week. Hopefully he will come in early enough to run Misty's early birthday present to her.

I have overeaten the last few days, eaten out way to much, and I skipped two days on the Wii and treadmill...time to get back on track and make better decisions...eat out less!!

Jane, glad to hear that you did well on Saturday. I don't have a particular day to eat anything I want...but I find that I still eat alot of my old favorites, but now i's not everyday!! I just fear that if I deny myself those food I would just end up bingeing on them. I've only had pizza once and I've had a hamburger (whopper jr) once. I tend to eat fried seafood of some kind once a week and I like a good steak about every other week or so! During the week I eat prepackaged frozen dinners for lunch, I usually like to have a 1 pt bagel or yogurt for a snack in between meals. For supper I tend to eat a salad... or tuna or salmon...I also bake chicken or pork chops. For snacks at home, I like keeping fresh fruit..I love watermelons...also like to keep dried blueberries and chopped walnuts in the house. Oh, breakfast is usually kashi cereal w/ff milk, instant oatmeal or sometimes just a weight watchers muffin. Anyway that is pretty much the details on my eating. Except for the last 4 days of eating out too much!!

Exercise....I'm aiming to work out everyday...but I'm still somewhat new at it and sometimes I just have to let the body rest. Having the Wii Fit helps me keep track of it so 1 or 2 days don't turn into 3 or 4. Being able to see the graph on tv showing the missed days holds me accountable!!

Well, have a good father's day...hope you are all doing well...Oh, I've got to tell you about this song I heard this morning. I was literally bawling while driving down the road..I thought I might have to pull over and stop. It's a country song, it was my first time hearing it and I think the name is "Daddy It's Okay to Let Go". She talks about a father teaching his child to ride a bike and the child saying "Let go Daddy, Its scary, but I think I can do this on my own. The next verse deals with a daughter being given away at her wedding by her daddy, again she tells him it's okay "Daddy let go" then the last verse is what got me. She talks about her daddy wasting away in a hospital bed and of course you know what the chorus is. I lost my own daddy to lung cancer 3 years ago...this song touched my heart!!

Okay, now I'm outa here. Take care!
  • Hello,

Trish - Woohoo for the 4 pounds down. Recycled or not, it's a loss! Have you seen the new containers of mayo with olive oil in it? I haven't tried it, but wonder how it tastes. I never thought of putting LC cheese on a sandwich. Usually just put it on celery or saltines.

Ruthie - (is it ok if I call you that?) Glad you had fun at the bd party. The twins' party is tomorrow evening. It's being held at my house, but Mary is furnishing the cake and ice cream. I think I'm going to have to get a Wii, since so many people are talking about WiiFit. Your DH sure sounds like a hard worker. I know the song you're talking about! It's by Crystal Somebody, lol. And yes, it's a real tear jerker.

Well, ladies, I didn't do as well with food today as I did yesterday. The good news is, I sent all the point-buster foods home with the kids. Now I have to get through the party tomorrow night, but I'm going to have some fruit salad on hand, and that's a good alternative to cake.

I got my new WW magazine in the mail Friday, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. If I pick up any good tidbits from it, I'll share.

Toodles!
  • Good morning,

Not much time, I'd like to get in a few minutes of yoga before I jump into the shower. We went out to eat again last night...Misty & her hubby took us out to eat for father's day. I had portabello chicken that is to die for!! I'm hoping it didn't have too many calories because I ate the whole thing!!

Thank goodness today is a work day!! Because I can get back on a normal eating schedule!!

Jane, yes you may call me Ruthie! My dad's side of the family call me that and a few friends have picked it up, even my boss occasionally. Well that dog has brought me his bowl...time to feed him.

I'll talk to you all later, take care,
  • Hi LAdies,

Jane - Sorry you had a bad day with eating, but don't worry about it. Just get back OP today. You had a lot of food to deal with too much in a week end. I personally thing you did fine. Remember we have to realize we will have times like that and just move on instead of letting it derail us. I'm late with it but tell the little twins I said "HAPPY BIRTHDAY". I hope you all had a good time. I got my WW magazine too but haven't had time to read it yet. I recently ordered another magazine called Healthy Eating or Eating Well. Can't remember, but I'll let y'all know if I see anything of interest to our healthy eating.

Ruth - Glad you are here too. And you do the same as I told Jane. Don't let the overeating or eating out etc throw you off track. I think we have to plan for times like that. When I go out to eat, I try to stick to veggies and protein, but it depends on where I eat as to whether I can do that or not. Then I just try to eat as well as I can.

I've had a pretty good day. I hate days when I spend my pts more on things that higher in pts, but I am learning to just adjust it so I still eat pretty much what I like and stay within my pts. It is working for me for now and just hope I can keep it that way. It is easier for me right now while DH isn't able to go out any where and we eat here at home. Eating out sure puts a strain on the pts. That may begin to change next week when things start getting a little more to normal.

Catch y'all later.

Hugs,
    Trish
  • Hello ladies

Thought I would pop in and say hi! Wow, WW is a busy forum! This is a good little spot for someone like me who is seriously thinking of trying WW.

I've actually subscribed to the magazines for years (no longer have that subscription but may start again) and I've bought many WW cookbooks and use them now and then. I've just never actually followed the plan.

But---I have a wonderful friend who is lending me some of her extra stuff with some information and once I get them, I'm ready. (boy I hope I'm ready)

This year has been a hard year for some reason. I've used every excuse as to why I'm not losing......in fact why I've gained some....problem is, I'm the only one I can blame it on......nothing else. But I believe I'm ready to focus.....truly focus on me again. (I've said this in the past haven't I ladies??) It's already half way through the year! ALREADY!!! And I've got nothing to be proud of.

So glad to see you ladies here. I feel at home already. Hope you all don't mind me joining!!

I better get going for now. Not sure how often I'll be able to post, but I will.

Hugs to each of ya!
  • Hello!

Ruthie - I just love calling you that. Glad you had a good Father's Day celebration. Wow, you're dog is smart to bring you the bowl. My dog comes up to me and walks in circles when she needs something. She pokes Neal's glass with her nose when she wants ice, lol.

Trish - yep, that's the glory of WW - no food is off limits. But I'm like you in that I don't like to spend my points of just anything. It's important for me to save enough for evening, though. I still haven't had time to read my WW magazine. I want to really absorb on it, not just skim it, so I'm waiting til I have plenty of time, and peace and quiet..

Marti - YAY, you made it! I don't have much to be proud of so far this year, either, but hopefully that will change. Please heck in as often as possible.

Mary Kate, Angie - how're you doing?

To anyone reading this - if you'd like to join us, please just jump right in!

Thank goodness all the celebrations and parties are over now for quite awhile. I'm feeling able to make it now, especially with this group to help. We have fresh bibb lettuce, radishes, and green onions in the garden. Now I just need the tomatoes to get ripe.

The kids and Neal are picking cherries today. I'll have to find a points-friendly recipe to use them.

Have a good day!
  • Hi There

Marti - Glad you are here. Hope WW works for you. As you know I went through a lot until it all came together for me just a few weeks ago with WW Flex pts. I did a lot of reading about different ways to lose here on 3FC and I tell you there is a lot of info here. It finally came together for me when I saw that there are 3 important things to always have in my diet... fruits, veggies and good carbs like whole wheat/grains. I've learned that fiber is the key to the food plan for me. The nice thing is that WW fits any way a person wants to eat because it teaches us to eat the right portions. You will find yours. As long as you don't give up and keep working at it, it will come together for you.

Jane - Hope your day was better for you now that all your celebrations are over. Your busy day putting up cherries should help.

Catch y'all tomorrow. Have a good evening.

Hugs,
    Trish
  • Ha ha Jane,,,Im no baby! Marti is the baby....lol Im a big girl,,,in so many ways...ha ha And we will be celebrating your b irthday too.
    I agree with the girls,,,,you did have alot of food obstacles this past week and so you slipped a bit but you didn't completely fall down in the muck. ( you got your pant cuffs a bit dirtied) so dust them off and carry on!

Ruthie I have travelled the city looking for a wii fit,,,and rockband...but that doesn't come out for a few days. So I have till the 27th to see if I can get one,,,fingers crossed.

Well I have to say,,,I really need a kick in the backend. Ive gained so much weight in the last 3 months I feel sick! Im not exercising,,,Im eating healthy but then not. Not drinking my water...mostly cause I can't go to the bathroom when I want. (work) But we recently hired more people...and I have asked if I can train more people to use my phone,,,I take bout 700 calls a day so no leaving it unattended.
    So tomorrow I am going to drink 2 huge glasses of water,,,today I did 1. Im going to make it so I am drinking up to 4. That is my goal to myself. In 2 weeks,,,june 30. I will be drinking 4 huge glasses of water per day.

Im going to pull out all my WW books and reread everything,,,feel more in control already. All or nothing kinda gal here....

k feel so much better...whewww
  • Hey girls, just checking in before I head off to bed. Spent 20 minutes on treadmill this morning and about 45 minutes on the Wii. My eating for the last few days has been relatively good. Eating fairly light...salmon last night and tuna tonight. Not snacking...so hopefully I will see some results soon. I've been dropping 3 or 4 lbs then I just hang out at that weight for almost a month before I start losing again.

Angelia, by the way...I love your name, my youngest daughter is Angela...
    I was blessed to find the second Wii Fit...because after Sunday there doesn't seem to be a Wii Fit within 100 miles of our town. I've been checking for a friend who I should have called Sunday when I went to Circuit City.

Jane, my husband has our cat spoiled to cold water from the refrigerator door.

Well, I'm off I'll try to log on in he morning before I leave for work.
  • Good idea for a group! I am trying to be very health focused this time (I have tried to lose weight many many times before, a few times on WW). I'm using core and I try to make the 8 good health guidelines the center of my food choices. I feel like I had a good day if I remembered to have my healthy oils and my vitamin (those are the hardest for me to remember!)

Glad to meet y'all!