Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Cherry: You are doing great! 2 OP days is awesome! Keep going and before you know it you are back in full swing! I know what you mean about a whole pizza... LOL. I actually was in the mood for pizza yesterday so I made pita pizza's last night for supper. Very low points ones, two kinds, a 1 pt whole wheat pita with just a dab or two of trader joes pizza sauce or salsa and topped it with some mushrooms and then FF cheese. Put them in the oven for a bit and they came out very nicely... I figured 3 pts per pizza, and we had a salad along with it.

Have a happy day!
Princess1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #17  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Turtles,
I love that this site is hopping! (Or is that the rabbit analogy?) In any case it's a lot to respond to.
I think Bandit deserves a for all her shoveling of all that snow! Also, let us know if there are any really good recipes or menus you come across when you check your past trackers.

Also, I must chime in for you, Princess. You have lost so much weight and you look great in your Hawaiian Paradise photo. Now you're ready to knock off the next part of your weight. You go girl!!!!! Loved the pizza recipe. I also make a version of that on the Lite Thomas' Multigrain Eng. Muffins that are good.

Cherry, two OP days is phenomenal. Remember, it's hour by hour if need be.
All we can do is give this our best effort, be prepared for emotional eating by having at least three things to do to prevent us from eating (drink lots of water, read a book, work a puzzle--whatever it is for you). You're doing it and as far as those 2 points, that's what the weekly 35 points are for! Use them, count them in, and keep on keepin' on!

Chrily, it's so sweet that you did little crafts for your little guys! That sounds so nice and homey. Keep going--you're doing great!

For anyone who's struggling right now, chime in. Remember--we were all struggling just a few days ago, but by posting and reminding ourselves that we can do this, we're all doing better.

As far as me, for Valentine's Day dh and I agreed, no chocolate. I did bake him 12 sugar cookies heart-shaped with red sprinkles this morning for a surprise. However, I really think that they'll get thrown out because we really are both trying very hard!!!!! They looked darling in this little red paper heart box. Then I got him a Quiznos salad (his favorite--he doesn't like home made salads) and served him a Diet Snapple in a heart-shaped coffee mug. That's about as close to a regular Valentine's Day that we have. Sure beats eating a whole box of chocolates. I Prefer flowers, any day! Chocolates just make me hungry and guilty--a temptation I'd rather not deal with.

I'm going to post a Shrimp Stir-fry that is low in points (a WW recipe) and easy and delicious. I'll type the recipe the way it is in the book , and then I'll add what I did to make it easier and bulkier.

Ginger-Shrimp and Green-Bean Stir-Fry
Makes 4 Servings
5 points/serving

4 t canola oil
1 1/2# peeled and deveined large shrimp
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2T. minced peeled fresh ginger
1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
1 (8oz.) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
1/3 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
2T. reduced sodium teriyaki sauce
1/4t. salt
3 scallions, chopped

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Pour in 2t oil, add the shrimp. Heat about 3minutes. Transfer shrimp to plate.
2. Add 2t. oil to skillet. Add the garlic and ginger; stir-fry about 30sec. Add the greens beans and stir-fry about 3 minutes. Add pineapple and stir-fry about 1 minute. Add back the shrimp, broth, teriyaki sauce and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are heated through and the green beans are crisp-tender--about 2minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in scallions.
Serving=1cup=5 points
Tip: Serve over whole wheat linguine 2/3c.for two more points.
Could also be served over brown or white rice.

Now--what I did and it was yummy:
Since it's just my dh and me for dinner, I cut the amt. of shrimp in half, but kept the amount of veggies full recipe size.
I used frozen, peeled and cooked shrimp that I had in my freezer. I defrosted them as suggested on the package. Then when it came time to work with them, I just warmed them up in the pan and followed the rest of the recipe as it is written. I'm a volume eater and loved getting that many green beans==absolutely yummy. I also think that canned sliced water chestnuts could be added to stretch the flavor and volume. Just a thought.

I like the frozen peeled cooked shrimp. I buy them when they go on sale and defrost only the amount I need at the time. They are great defrosted with a cocktail sauce--mix horseradish in a jar with ketchup or chili sauce. Serve in a fancy glass or on a plate of lettuce. Hardly any points.

They are also great tossed in a little olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic for a topping for WW pasta. Yum.

Okay, I've got the cottage cheese on my list from Princess' idea for a new breakfast crepe. Also the Cool Whip. Onward and Downward we go!!!!!

Judy
234.6/217.6/thinner into onederland

Last edited by Itryharder; 02-14-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: I goofed when I wrote the amount of minced ginger.
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #18  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

Hi all. Not going to try to do individual posts just yet. Valentine's Day was good so far. I'm not really a candy fan (I work with the stuff all day long) so I'm kind of sick of the stuff, but my honey got me a cute little card and the Jordin Sparks CD. She was the American Idol winner from last year. There is this awesome song on there called God love ugly. It talks about God thinking your beautiful no matter what the outside package looks like. Neat song.

Anyhow, I made up a CD of my husband's favorite songs and some of mine and gave that to him with a box of chocolates. He can indulge in those when not in my presence...

The girls enjoyed their day. Kids get such a kick out of Valentine's Day. It's almost as exciting for them as Christmas.

Well better go and find out where my husband is and what he wants for dinner. This having our own business stuff stinks. No one is paying and we are now getting behind on our bills. Thousands of dollars out in accounts receivable....stinks!

Christina
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #19  

Morning all and a very happy Friday to everyone! Well, Valentines day was nice... I made DH home made Choc. chip cookies and packaged them up and got him a small present to go with that. He got me a nice bunch of flowers, a beautiful candle and a very large box of GODIVA CHOCOLATE. Ugh! My favorite and it was not like I did not know it was coming... soooooo, I will try and save them for times when I am really craving something sweet and then it will be a wonderful treat, they are so rich that really just a piece is enough to curb the cravings. It was a very expensive and wonderful treat!

Judy: I love the shrimp recipe and I will be trying that soon! Your valentines day sounded perfect!

Chris: Your valentines day sounded wonderful also... Sorry to hear about your AR troubles... that is ones of the biggest reasons that small business's are struggling so hard these days... I hope it gets better real soon!

Cherry: How are you doing?

Bandit: What is new with you? Bet you are earning lots of AP with all the shoveling.... ugh!

I will check back later on, have a wonderful day!

Last edited by Princess1122; 02-15-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #20  

Hey ladies thanks for the support and the motivation to keep going. I had another OP day with only 1 flex point used. I have gone from 219 to 216 in the time i restarted on Tuesday it is not official cause not my weigh in and probably water weight but i am so excited.

Judy, Bandit, Princess, and Chrily - I enjoyed everyones posts and hope that we can all keep on keeping on.

Princess the pita pizzas sound food i will have to give that a try. Thanks.
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #21  

Cherry: Weight to go! I am so happy for you!

Once the scale starts going down it is worth a million bucks!

Great Job!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #22  
Focus on the Process

I have a little scenario for you all...then can I please get some advice on it. Back when I first started 3fc, I was roughly 216 lbs. I was gung ho and excited. I tried so hard and the weight came off. I got down to 197. I don't know what happened between that time and now but my weight has ballooned up to 234 (this a.m. scale number). I can't seem to get a grip on my life and focus. I don't know what worked before or what will work now. I seriously don't get it. I really really hate the way my body looks and I hate that I am getting more limited everyday on what I can do. My question is two-fold....

1. What am I missing that you gals seem to possess that is getting you closer to you goals?

2. Why can't things just click for me and fall into place so the weight will come off? Heck, I don't mind working hard for it...I just need to know what to do.

I guess I need a fresh perspective on this weight loss journey. I know what I want for an end result but connecting the dots is killing me.

That said. Today is just a quiet little day. I've been working on my homework and listening to my little dog bark. Neither one of them are happy to be outside but it's nice and they could use some fresh air. I suppose...back the grind.

Hey Cherry! Congrats on the weight loss. That is totally awesome. I am longing for the day when the scale will go down for me, not up.

Christina
Old 02-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #23  

Hey Chris, I don't have a quick or magic answer for you but I feel your pain, I truly do.

I would have to say this:

Tomorrow is day one - get on the scale, write your weight down, day one period, does not matter what happened yesterday, last week or last year... day one!

Pick your plan today, core or flex, for me it almost has to be flex because I think that I may use core as a license to eat instead of how it actually supposed to be used, but that is just me.

Get organized, you sound really busy, map out your days, meals, W/I days, class, kids, homework, exercise time, and some quality time to sleep, etc.

Review the 8 healthy guidelines because no matter what plan you pick they pertain to both.

Write down everything that you put into your mouth no matter what plan you pick, I think that is very important.

Look at your fridge and pantry, if money is tight then work with what you have and start making a list for when you can go to the grocery.

Get it into your mind, you can do this, you really do need to start putting yourself first a bit though.

Look at any med's that you are on, what are the side effects? If weight gain is one then call your doctor or pharmacist and see if they can either be changed or what suggestions they have to counter act the med's.

None of us are any different then the rest, we all want it, you have been having a rough patch for a while now and I would bet that the stress alone is crushing you... school, kids, home, bills, etc. You can only do so much, I know that is easier said then done but it is something that I really had to learn the hard way... if we don't start to take care of ourselves now then we may hit a brick wall later on and then were would we be?

Make menus, work on a list of things to do instead of eat, get yourself organized and it will start to happen before you know it!

Hope this helps and please know that we are all with you every step of the way.

Princess
Old 02-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #24  
Focus on the Process

Princess, you are so right. I already feel like I hit that brick wall. Just basic things seems so overwhelming. I do have one question...you mentioned 8 healthy guidelines???? What are those? I bought the at-home weight watchers kit a couple years ago and I bet it's probably in here (if it is a WW thing).

I know planning is essential. For me, it is a pain though. I am pulled so many directions, to write out my plan takes planning...planning for time. There are so many hurdles and hoops to clear. The last person I think about is me. If there is clothes to be bought, I buy them for the kids. Nothing new for me. I haven't had my hair cut since July. Everything I do, I do for someone else. I went to a counselor at church for awhile earlier in 2007. Her one question for me was "why don't you think you deserve to have nice clothes? A new haircut? Things for yourself? Why do you put everyone else first?" I had no answer...at least not out loud. In my mind, I kept thinking...cuz I'm not worth it. Maybe when I'm thin I'll be worth it and pretty enough, but not now. She told me, no matter what size I am, that I am worth it and beautiful. Those are such hard concepts for me to wrap my mind around and believe.

Thanks for all you suggestions. I am printing out your post for reference. I am going to look at all your advice and check them off as I do them. I love your advice about DAY 1! Okay...tomorrow is just that...day 1.

Christina
Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Princess - great advice. I think we all need a Day 1

Chrily - you really sound down. I also find weight loss really hard.
I do the up/down thing often. As you all know when I am OP I do really well, but when I get side-tracked it usually is really bad.

I find negative comments from family/friends really bothers me. I know sometimes people don't mean for it to come across like it does, but still it hurts. An example - the other day my dd was home & my mom came to visit & dd got my mom to take photo of dd & myself with her new digital camera.
So mom took photo & ended up cutting me in half & her comment was "that I would slimmer that way" and laughed. I know it isn't a big deal, but still you would think you own mother would know it would bother me.

So, I think for me other peoples thoughts on myself really influence my behaviour. That is something I need to work on for myself - have the confidence to make choices that will get me to goal.

Chrily - I hope you can get back on track & remember everyone here is struggling with their weight loss as well.

Take care.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #26  

Morning all, just a quick check in on my way to weigh in...

Chris: I will post the guide lines when I get back in later on.

Bandit: boy oh boy do I know what you mean about negative comments! They are so cutting and hurtful!

More later!
princess
Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #27  

Good morning all and happy Saturday... one of my favorite days!

Went to W/I and stayed for the meeting.... great news! I was down 2.8 lbs! I was pretty happy about that! The leader did an interesting meeting today, it was about having fun in life... as we get older she thought that most of us forgot to have fun, expecially when it comes to exercise and activity... she had a great point and one that I will remember... make it fun and you will keep at it... when we were kids no one had to tell us to get outside and go play, we were out the door in a shot as soon as our parents gave us the all clear sign...

Chris: I always thought that I was not worth it... not worth anything really... but then I realized that not only was I worth as much as everyone else, I was passing those negative thoughts on to my kids and family... almost giving them a pass to walk all over me... The minute you say, "Heck NO, I am in line with the rest of you for clothing, haircuts and the good things in life" is the day that you reclaim you! It may feel funny at first but once you do it you will feel great. Not saying that any of us deserve more then the other but most certainly deserve as much as the next person!!!

Ok, about the planning, I don't mean a huge meeting of the minds here, I just mean, keep a large note pad around with a pen on top of it, when you think about what you need to accomplish today you jot it down, when you think about, "oh my gosh, I need to take the dog to the vet on Saturday" Start a page for "Saturday" and put down "dog to vet". Just make sure that you put on there daily "30 minutes for me - exercise or whatever!"

I make a list for almost every weekend day so that I remember to get my meals made, get the laundry done, run to the store, 30 minutes of exercise, get ready for Monday - that is a big one for me!.

Our money is very tight here also so I know what it is like, I have been making a lot of SF FF jello and then portioning it out, I buy a lot bagged fruit from Sams club or the grocery store because it is cheaper. I make reduced fat peanut butter and SF jelly sandwiches for our lunches... they are cheap =) and we like them =)

I will post the guide lines on another post as I have rambled on this one.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #28  

Default Healthy Guidelines

I think that it is ok to post these... hopefully I am right

1 - eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day

2 - Choose whole-grain foods whenever possible

3 - 2 servings of milk products each day

4 - Ding at least 6 glasses of water each day

5 - Have healthy oils each day - I think it is two tsp per day - olive, canola, sunflower oils, fish, nuts etc.

6 - Get in your protein, at least two servings per day

7 - Limit sugar and alcohol

8 - Take a multi vitamin-mineral supplement each day

Remember - portion control and write down everything that you eat and like Bandit said - keep them from week to week and see what works best for you!

Last edited by Princess1122; 02-16-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #29  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
What is happening here is astounding and I am so glad to be a part of it.
Go Turtles. We rock!

To help Chrily out, the 8 good health guidelines are found in every WW's Week One book. Simply, they are: Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Choose whole-grain foods whenever possible. Include 2 servings of milk products daily. Drink at least 6 glasses of water daily. Have 2t.healthy oil each day. Make sure you get enough protein. Limit added sugar and alcohol. And take a multi-vitamin mineral pill each day. That's it! Simple and sure-fire.
Now--where to start?

Cherry, Your : has me jumping up and down for joy for you. You proved to yourself that you can do this! Weigh to go!! I love to see effort rewarded like you have done. It makes me so happy. :smile:.

Chrily, I read your post so carefully and was trying to figure out how to respond, and sure enough--there was Princess right on the ball with so many wonderful suggestions. I'm also going to print out her response for myself because although things are going well for me right now, that can change in an instant (because of the emotional thingy and a host of other reasons). We all can use a reminder that today is Day One and we can do anything we put our mind to.

Chrily, Look at your accomplishments! You go girl! Having a family business with slow and no payers stinks--plus you're in school and doing really well--plus watching the children, etc. and all you do. You know what that is. I have to echo what your church counselor tried to tell you and I'll relate it to myself as well. If you're not considering yourself deserving, then who will? You're a religious gal (I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes--but I've got to say this--)God don't make junk! He loves you and you are soooooo worth it!! As far as me, I would put myself on my "list" for what I wanted to get done in a day. But I'd always drop myself off the list as other family members needed me and I'd drop whatever I had planned for myself and do what they needed.

Now--after awhile that became a "reason" for me not to lose weight. After all, if I ran to baby sit, how could I have veggies and fruit in the house. If I was planning a wedding, how could I fit in time to exercise? Get it???? Now I'm giving myself permission to be first in line. It is truly not selfish--it's sensible. I take care of myself and my face gets prettier and I'm happier with myself and everyone benefits from that!! Trust me, it works.

How can you do this? Take a minute and do the very basic. Plan and prepare. Get groceries in that will work for you. WW cooking is really simple.
Grilled chicken, ff hot dogs, bean dishes, soups--all cheap and easy to prepare. If you know some particular food won't work for you on your eating plan, don't eat it! Treat yourself nice--put those little guys in a stroller and walk in a mall if it's too cold outside. Window shopping is a lovely activity--you don't have to buy a thing!!! You are the expert of yourself and you'll figure out what works for you. (One thing I might suggest is to get back to your doc. As Princess says some meds do pack on weight. Tell your doc what you've been doing and suggest your thyroid might need checking.)

What I have confidence in is that you will discover what is happening with you and by following simple steps, you'll fix it! I might also suggest getting out your WW's books and reading them. There is a wealth of material in them and something else might click for you. We're all pulling for you. Let us know how you're doing.

LIvvy, If you're reading this, hop right in. We are really on a roll here and helping each other tremendously. Let us know about you and what you'd like to know.

Negative comments: Oh Bandit and Chrily and Princess, my heart broke when I heard the pain about these reckless comments. People have some nerve! Especially when a mom jumps into the act--ugh--how ridiculous!!! No one purposely chooses to be overweight. We are all working on getting that under control--a little support might be nice. I try to ignore the negative stuff and look for support only from people who can provide it. Not easy to erase the negative, but I work on it.

Princess, ohmigod!!! How sweet of your dh to buy you a huge box of Godiva chocolates. Well, it is true that one piece can be ultimately satisfying and glorious--handy to have when you'd love a chocolate sweet. I know you can handle it. Also, big congratulations on your weight loss. That if a fabulous amount of weight to lose and shows how on target you were this week. Weigh to go! :

As for me--I'm sorry this is so long, but there's a lot to respond to and we are burning up the Cyber Space Wires!!! I have gotten in the habit of planning dinner ahead. I looked through my WW recipes and also my cookbooks. Then I wrote a grocery list to have the ingredients on hand. Then I wrote down on my calendar what I'd have for dinner each night. I change them up all the time, but in general I fix the planned meals some night during the week. Cuts way back on take out and that works for me. I do slow cooker, easy soups, fast protein, etc. I also make a big batch and freeze the leftovers. That has saved me many times for either lunch or dinner. I've stepped up my exercise to 40 minutes on the but if I'm too tired, I've got permission to do as little as I can.

: to all of us. Take care and be well. Let's do this!
Judy
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #30  
Focus on the Process

I'll post more later but I just had to tell you gals about something in our local paper this morning. We had a customer my husbnad was trying very hard to collect from for the past 2 months and she just kept avoiding him. Well he drove to her house Thursday and collected IN PERSON. Now we read in the paper today that late Thurs. night she was drunk driving and hit 3 cows, killing 2 of them and is now in jail. The accident is still under investigation and further charges are pending. How is that for timing? If he woudln't have gone there that day, we would have been missing even more money. Not saying that what happened to her is a good thing, it's just funny how things work.

ANyhow, I have to hurry. I only had time to read through your posts. The girls have a Girl Scout fair today so I need to get ready and get them over there. Thank goodness its only 3 blocks to the mall where it's being held. Check back later.

Christina