3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   WW Clubs and Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups-106/)
-   -   50 or More #85 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups/12766-50-more-85-a.html)

JanetMae 01-22-2002 09:33 AM

50 or More #85

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, jump on in and join; you'll be sure to get a warm welcome!:)

JanetMae 01-22-2002 09:51 AM

Hi all! Sorry to be so long away; had a little trouble accessing the site. Once I got the msg the forums were down, and another day, that the site couldn't be found. Anyone else having those problems?

Re: the weekend of the 13th, I was hoping folks could come in on Friday the 12th (or even Thurs. afternoon if that works better; I'm off work at noon and can reach the San Antonio airport by 1:30.) I imagine most will want to leave Sunday afternoon, but please stay as long as you can! If anyone can stay at least thru Mon. night, we could do something fun in S.A. that afternoon ... And JOYce, last time Texaslady picked up Janet and Carol from the Houston airports (about 3 hours from here) and they drove down together in her car. So either city would work, though you'd want to coordinate times w/Texaslady if you choose Houston. Janet, does that date work out around your Aretha Franklin concert? Carol, have you tried Orbitz for tickets? I saw a r/t, DC to Hou for $177 I think...

Carol, how exciting it must be, anticipating Marissa's arrival! (I love that name too; had a very sweet student named Marissa years ago.) I'm glad you got to rest last weekend, but wish they could find a better solution at work than to make the two of you carry such a load! Glad to hear your dd did not hurt herself when she fell; I'm sure that was a bit scary.

Texaslady, how sweet of you to offer to bring folks from Houston! Can't wait to see you again.

Linda, sure wish you could come; maybe we can plan a reunion in Cal. some day. We could all meet in San Francisco and do some marathon shopping! But we'll take pics for you, for sure!

JOYce, glad to hear all is well; sounds like your water aerobics class is a lot of fun, and it's really nice that they are so warm and friendly. It's much more fun to exercise with friends! Maybe we should start a little class here at school, do a video or something. Hmm.

Janet, hope all is well! Really looking forward to seeing you again.

And guess what; DH joined WW on Saturday!! He doesn't want anyone around here to know, as people can make a big deal out of things and that would embarrass him. But he's taking it very seriously, and has actually journaled every day! We gave a dinner party Sun. night, and he didn't even go over points then. I can't wait for his WI Sat.; I know he'll be even more motivated when he sees how this works.

Guess I'd better run; have some papers to grade before class starts. Hope everyone's having a great week!
Regards,
Jan

gmalil 01-22-2002 12:05 PM

Thanks Jan, for the info! I checked Orbitz, they have some good prices! I'm anxious to hear what plans that other gals have.
Congrats to you dh! What a guy! I'm sure he will do great!
I must scoot and get ready to 'hit the pool' :)

Kudzu 01-22-2002 06:17 PM

Hi...

Hi y'all. It sounds like everyone has been doing good since I last checked in. The reunion plans sound great, and I don't believe that the 13th is the weekend for Aretha Franklin. The only hitch, well one of two actually, is that we had an employee in my division quit last week. I work in the IT Department and there are only five of us now. We found out that we can't replace her position right now because of budget cuts, so that means that we are all having to take up the slack. She had a multitude of duties, but we have a good team and I know we will be fine until we can hire someone in that position. The problem is that my boss told us last week that we shouldn't plan to be off unless it was a matter of life and death. Normally it wouldn't be a problem at all, but I doubt if we will have filled the position by April. The other hitch is transportation. Last time it didn't really bother me to fly, even though I wasn't thrilled about it...but this time I can't seem to get my nerve up. I did check on fares today...just in case...and there was a great round-trip fare to Houston for $97. I'd love the opportunity to ride with Texaslady again since she so kindly offered. I haven't checked on fares into San Antonio, but I will try to do that soon. I had really thought about driving. I enjoy driving and it's only about a seven hour drive to Houston. That way, if we got to shop in Mexico again, I wouldn't have to pass up that wonderful mirror I found. I had even thought about asking DD to ride with me because I know she would have a wonderful time...but to drive would mean even more time off for me. She doesn't have classes on Fridays so it wouldn't be a problem for her. There are just a lot of variables right now...so please make plans around everyone else, and if things work out then that will be great...and if not, then I will just have to shoot for next year. I haven't given up all hope yet...I would hate to miss out on seeing everyone again and on meeting JOYce and Saara if she gets to come.

I need to get back to work, but I wanted to "pop" in for a few minutes. Carol, I got your email and I will try to call you soon. I LOVE the name Marissa!! I enjoyed hearing about your snow too. We haven't had so much as one flake yet...not that we ever have very much. I had read in the paper where we were predicted to have at least three significant snowfalls in January and February and I got so excited. Well, now January is almost gone...so February had better be full of snow. I'm glad you got to rest this past weekend. Take care of yourself...and keep trying for the reunion. I even checked fares from Baltimore to Jackson after I found that great rate, but it was over $100 one way to Jackson. I haven't taken my thinking cap off yet though.

JOYce, DD is making me go to water aerobics with her tomorrow. She has been going to the gym everyday, but she works out on the machines. She loves water aerobics though, and so I think I will join her tomorrow. It's the getting there, changing and then having to get dressed again that gets to me. The time in the water is great...and the time in the hot tub and then in the sauna is even better!!

Texaslady, did you enjoy your day off? I certainly did. You know you'll be getting another holiday in February don't you?? :) That was sweet of you to offer to have pick-up duty again. I don't know why the thought of flying is getting to me so much this time. It has nothing to do with what happened September 11.

Jan, your idea of having a reunion in San Francisco one year sounds wonderful. That was my parents' favorite city to visit. They intended to take all of their children and grandchildren there one day, but we never got the chance. I'm cheering for your DH. I am so excited for him and wish him great success. After meeting him, I know that he will do just great!! Tell your dad hi for me.

Linda, how are things in sunny California? I still wish you could find a way to join us in Texas (listen to me talking like it's a sure thing for me). I completely understand about things being tight though. That may very well be a third variable for me now that I'm not getting any help with DD's college expenses.

Saara, WHERE ARE YOU???? Please don't tell me that we had you while you were in Finland, but we may have lost you now that you are in the United States!! :dizzy:

Carol, I forgot to mention about DD. You said something in your email about her being away at school. You must have missed my post telling that she is living at home this semester. Since she wasn't going to be doing the color guard thing this semester, she and her roommate decided to live at home. Then she decided to attend a branch of another college much closer to home, so that she wouldn't have all that driving to do everyday. So far she is thrilled with that decision. She was asked to stay at Old Navy after Christmas, so she attends classes in the morning and works in the afternoon. She has been able to go to the gym we belong too for the first time in ages, and she has so much free-time. They don't have classes on Fridays and she is loving that.

Well, I've been long-winded as usual. Y'all have a great week, and I will check in again soon.

Janet (Kudzu)

Rymsh 01-23-2002 04:41 AM

Good morning. Happy Hump Day, everyone.
Joyce, I hope you had a wonderful birthday! What did you do to celebrate? Something fun and relaxing, I hope!
Jan, congrats to dh for joining WW!!! The lowest rates I can find for when I need to travel are over $200. I'm hoping I can luck into a special rate at Southwest because I have a $74 credit from them for the flight I cancelled from Florida this month when I ended up driving back with exdh. Every time I think I've worked it out, another monetary stumbling block rears its head! I am going to put in for the days off just in case, though. (One of the problems is I'll have no leave and the days I take off for the reunion would be days without pay, which makes it a pretty expensive trip!) Anyhow, I really want to come, and I'll try.
Janet, you are right- I must have missed seeing that dd is living home this semester! That's great for you!! Let us know how the water aerobics went! Now, dear friend, if I go, you have to go too (to the reunion)! Maybe I can find a flight that stops in Jackson so we can fly to San Antonio together. I think I wish everyone were coming to So Maryland instead- not that I have anywhere to put them!!! You are more than welcome to any future snows that we may have coming- I hate the stuff! :lol:

Well, I'd better get moving. I can't believe it's time to go to work again already- I feel like I just got home! Oh well- this too shall pass. Yesterday the office managers (allergy and pediatrics) gave the other nurse who's working extra and me each a pretty flowered plant (primroses, I think) as a thank you(out of their own pockets). It felt good to be appreciated- a heartfelt "attagirl" goes a long way!
Hi to Linda, Texaslady, Saara- did I miss anyone? Have a good day!
Carol

gmalil 01-23-2002 05:05 PM

Carol, I am so glad that you are still working on a way to go to Texas!....I'm trusting that you and Janet will both find a way to do it!
Yes, I had a lovely bday for several days. :lol: I'm old enuf to spread it out over several days! The highlights were Monday night whenwe met DD and her 2 children at my favorite Japanese teppan grill. The kids really enjoyed it, especially 9 yr old Kaitlin.
Yesterday my 'tea friends' (4 ladies from church, including Linda) and I went to a favorite tea parlor for a birthday tea. <<<sigh>>>, tea parties are such fun!
dh gave me a wonderful new scanner that will scan slides to discs and print photos from negatives etc. I can hardly wait for him to get it installed for me this weekend!
Meantime, I am getting ready to go to yet another new class this afternoon, I am going to learn how to do Stained glass! I'm really looking forward to it. This is my Xmas present from dh.

JanetMae 01-23-2002 06:50 PM

Carol, how sweet of the office managers to give you that plant! I'm sure they say a little prayer of thanks every day, that they have you and your colleague there to pull them through this bind. Any news from that other nurse, the one who kinda plays sick? I'm so excited to hear that you might be able to make it; sure hope that works out. You guys just *have* to meet JOYce f-2-f, she's a wonderful person.

Janet, it sounds like Carol isn't the only one with a workload bind now! I'm so sorry that happened to y'all. Surely, though, by April they'll have found a replacement? They can't expect y'all not to have a day off for that many months! Sure hope you and your DD can come!

JOYce, stained glass, what fun! My mom used to do these lovely stained glass window hangings; I really treasure the blue butterfly she made me. Be sure to tell us all about your first project!

Hi to Texaslady and Linda; Saara, we haven't lost hope yet, please check in!

Regards,
Jan

gmalil 01-24-2002 12:28 AM

Carol, I agree with Jan, how very nice that was for the office managers to show their appreciation for your hard work! a little show of appreciation, like that, can go a long ways!

I love working with stained glass!! those 2 hours just flew by! The first project is an assignment that everybody does, just to get the feel of cutting straight lines, curves and staying on the lines of the pattern. not as easy as it would seem :lol:
but I got all 8 pieces cut and half of them 'foiled', I'll go back Saturday and finish the foiling and start to solder!! It's kind of a sunset looking, round piece, except the colors that were available were not very 'sunset-ish'...it was a learning piece :)Then comes the hard part of choosing a pattern for my second piece.

dgd is dipping strawberries in chocolate, I guess I better go check on them...this is a school assignment. She had to choose some fancy food to take to a class potluck, like you would take to a fancy party like the Great Gatsby used to have. we saw berries at Sams club on Sunday, but I told her to wait and I would get them today, so they will be fresh for tomorrow. Well, I forgot to go to Sams or the Berry stand, so went to Albertsons and paid dearly but a promise is a promise, so whatcha gonna do!
gotta scoot!
g'nite!

JanetMae 01-25-2002 01:07 PM

JOYce, sounds like you're really having fun with the stained glass class! Let us know what you decide to make. I'll bet the strawberries dipped in chocolate were a big hit at your dgd's class party.

Well, tomorrow's the big day for dh, his first weigh in. I think he looks thinner already! But I am still having trouble getting him to eat at least the minimum. He's being really good about everything else, though.

I've decided to start journaling from dinner to lunch the next day. Started that yesterday and so far I like it. (There's a long thread in WWGeneral about it.) Maybe that will help me lose this last ten! I think I told y'all, I was just half a pound short of having to pay last month; this month, I was exactly at the limit! (2 over goal, omigosh). I think I've done much better this week, now that dh is also officially OP. I just *have* to lose a few pounds before my February weighin! That was too close for comfort!

Gotta run! Hi to Carol, Texaslady, Linda, Janet, and Saara. Everyone have a great weekend!
Regards,
Jan

gmalil 01-25-2002 04:00 PM

ROADBLOCK!!

AARRGGHH!:mad: I got an itch on my legs, which started moving up my body, and itched so bad, I scratched!...so went to the doctor, The only change I can think of is going to water aerobics....so he said to stay out of the water for a week, meantime I'm taking some medication, so will be thru itching and go back and try it again a week from Monday. Today I went in and used the treadmill and exercycle, while there, I asked for some help from an employee who was walking thru, and turns out she has a low impact aerobics class 3 x a week! so will try that next week, while I'm high and dry. I really got a good workout tis morning!
I quit taking the 'extra dose' of my diazide before I went to the doctor, thinking the increase in dosage could have caused the itch, but he assures me that is not so. By cutting back, I gained 7 pounds back!:eek: so am back on added dosage, and feeling the results :lol: I will lose 7 pounds plus, by next week. I realize it was really stupid to cut the dosage without consulting the doctor.

Jan good luck on your new journaling, I think Linda has counted from evening thru the next day before. I think she had good results, she will have to tell us. :)
And yes, the chocolate strawberries were a big hit! dgd said she didn't get in line right away, so they were all gone before she got to them. She snitched one from a girls plate who had 5 on it! but saved it for the soccer teams goalie, who had asked for one.

I know your dh will do *superbly* at WI tomorrow! I'm amxious to hear.

I stopped at Trader Joes today and stocked up on Cafe twists, and cat cookies, and Pirates booty, etc, and have lots of bottled water in the fridge...I WILL SUCCEED!!!!!!!!!

Linda Jean 01-26-2002 12:58 AM

JAN, yes, I do count from dinnertime to dinnertime on my points. Seems so much easier to stay OP; I had read the same thread you did in the WW General. I know that some people say it makes no sense, that 24 hours is 24 hours, but it has worked for me! I just begin counting my points at one dinnertime and count that along with the next day's breakfast, lunch, and snacks, then begin all over again at dinnertime. Not sure why, but it is just so much easier. Maybe because I do most of my eating at dinnertime and later in the evening.

JanetMae 01-26-2002 08:39 AM

JOYce, way to go on all that activity! I'm so sorry you're having a problem with that itching, though; do you think it might be dry skin? Would moisturizer, right after the pool, help? It has always seemed odd to me that water causes skin to dry out; what a contradiction! I'm glad you saw your doctor, though. And what a happy coincidence, your meeting that aerobics instructor!

Linda, thanks so much for the input on journaling night to noon; so far, I think I really like it. It seems less stressful at night, which is also my danger zone for going off program.

We're heading off to SA now to go to WW and pick up some fresh veggies and such. (You wouldn't believe how hard it is to buy them here, unless we find someone with a garden who sells produce!) Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Regards,
Jan

Linda Jean 01-26-2002 02:03 PM

Hi, JAN! How did you and dh do at WI? I'm anxious to hear the good news! :)

JanetMae 01-26-2002 05:35 PM

Hi Linda,
We just got back... Dh lost 2.5! Not only that, but he even participated in the meeting a bit. He is being *very* real about this; I think actually joining will make a difference. We even took a long walk while Dad waited for his prescriptions. Re: my progress, I don't weigh in again until Feb., but the home scale is showing a 1.5 loss this week.

We're fixing turnip greens, grilled salmon, and potatoes for dinner tonight; strange combination, huh?

So, what is everyone doing this weekend?

Jan

texaslady 01-26-2002 05:51 PM

Hi girls! Just here for a minute before I head over to dd's for dinner. She has asked me & sil's parents over to dinner. I think she is just looking for a way to cut down on "expected" parent visits by killing 2 birds with one stone - so to speak. But, anyway, it will be a nice evening, I'm sure. Also a short one, since sil has
to leave for work about 9:30 pm.

Sounds like the reunion is coming together nicely! :D For those who don't know, we have 2 airports in Houston - one on the north side (Bush Intercontinental or the "big airport") & one of the south side (Hobby or the "little airport" - its not really so small, just seems like it compared to the other one. ) Last year Carol flew into one airport and Janet flew into the other. I picked up Carol and we made a run to pick of Janet at the other airport. Worked out just fine. So if any of you can get a cheaper flight into Houston rather than SA, just let me know.

Joyce - I LOVED doing stained glass. We have so many shared interests when it comes to hobbies. Once again, I haven't done it for many years but I was heavily into it at one time. I even bought my own grinder which I guess is still out in the garage in my old glass gear. About the itch - I suspect it may be related to the chlorine in the pool. Hope you find a way to get rid of it.

Jan - Congrats to dh on his loss this week. I think it is wonderful that he is so enthusiastic and it probably will propel you forward to lose those last 10 pounds. Be sure to tell him that I am proud of him, too!

Wow, a reunion in California! Now THAT would be fun!! As you may remember, I lived in the Monterey Bay area for a couple years. Then the NEXT time we can all visit Carol in Florida - she will be relocated by then! Woooo-heee! Coast to Coast!!!

Janet & Carol - I HOPE HOPE HOPE you can get to Jan's. It won't be the same without you! Keep trying!

Gotta go & get myself over to dd's. Everyone have a great SAturday - or at least what's left of it. I will check in again later.