Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 05:12 PM   #1  
Net browser

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr. olds #146

Hi Everybody

Thanks everybody for the sweet vibes you sent me. The procedure did not take as long as he had told me. The dentist (well the Periodonist) started right at 8:00 this morning and I was finished with him just after 10:00. I didn't really experience any pain, but having him drilling holes into my jaw bone to insert the screws was not the greatest thing I ever experienced. I told Trudy all things considered, I'd rather have gone to Pittsburgh. LOL
After I finished with him I saw the Prosthodontist and he filed away at my "existing partial" to make sure that it would not touch any of the implants. I have to see him the next 5 mornings (except on the week-end) to make sure that everything is going ok with the implants and that the dentures are not hurting them.
I am so happy that it is over and done with.
Eating anything solid is out of the question, yet it's still important for me to have a nutritious diet during this healing time and of course drinking lots of fluids. I am having a glass of eggnog now and later I will try a bit of soup.
Talk to you all later.
Old 11-21-2001, 05:59 PM   #2  

Welcome Peggy from Canada. Are you a Margaret too? I like to weigh everyday or at least every other day. If I don't it creeps back on too easily. Slavika I am happy that you made it through the surgery. All of your recipes sound yummy. My printer isn't working so I am going to have to go to my son's and print them off. I think the muffins sound good. Maria you will be so gorgeous at the wedding. It wasn't me who had that body suit thing, I think it was Glenda. Ann I am glad that the cruise was fun and that you got back safe and sound. The craft show was a big success with a lot of fighting over the snowmen. It was too funny-my partner went out to her car to get some more and they were paying for them sight unseen. Now we have lots of orders to fill. It was a total zoo with huge crowds. They come to that show to spend. Now I wait and hope that all the checks clear. I have to go and do some Thanksgiving preparations. Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans. Don't eat too much tomorrow,
Old 11-21-2001, 07:44 PM   #3  

G'day all,

Boy we talk, 18 posts and we were already on the second page making it necessary for Slavika to start this one

Slavika Bet you are pleased it is all over with, well at least the drilling. Even though you don't feel pain, the sound of drilling is NOT a good soothing sound Hope all will continue to go well and before long you will be able to bite into a juicy steak or whatever else you may fancy.

Peggy These snowmen must be really something. Any chance of showing us with a picture???? What a buzz to have people fighting over them! Good for you.

Lily I will have to get on and get to know Master Cook, I have quite a comprehensive booklet with it.

Peggy ST (st stands for sweet tooth) sounds pretty bad what stress does to you. Good that you now know how it affects your weight. Well done on the loss so far.

We just heard a news flash that the Taliban has surrendered yet another town. It is good to see the women showing their faces but the problems are still many

DH returned from Sydney yesterday afternoon and we have been asked to go to Sydney, like NOW DH has been able to convince them that he still needed here. It would be very inconvenient to have to pack up and go to Sydney only to pack up again in January to go to Adelaide for the wedding. Sydney is just that much further than Melbourne from Adelaide.
I am also thinking of registering at an employment agency for some temp. work whilst we are in Sydney. We are there for almost 9 months, I can only post to you guys and play canasta so much some temp work would be good. I have to be realistic though and at 56 it may not be so easy. I will have to resurrect my resume when I get home. I hope I haven't thrown it all out and I still do have it somewhere on my home computer.

Another quite warm day here today. I am going to try and walk to town today and run some errands.

Cheers all
Maria
Old 11-21-2001, 11:35 PM   #4  
Super Surfer

I was wondering how we were going to address the two Peggy's, and Maria came up with the best solution.
Peggy ST I would be so stressed out if I gained so much weight overnight. I can gain 3 lbs in a week, if I really work at it , but that must be so frustrating for you. Will you have to keep up with the injections? Do they speed up the metabolism?
Peggy Sounds like the craft show was a definite success. Would love to see the snowmen too. We are supposed to get some snow/rain overnight and it will be wet. The little kiddies will be out making snowmen tomorrow.
Maria My life is so dull compared to yours. Now you are thinking of temp work. I guess you have to fill the hours you are alone though. Since my DH retired I am hardly ever alone... **sigh**.
Slavika.. You must be so glad that the Dental implants are finished with. Now you will be sore, but that too will pass. Before you know it, you will be chomping down on all the crunchy food you like. You were on my mind all morning. Poor baby!

A HAPPY THANKGIVING to everyone. Have a wonderful day with family and friends.

Goodnight all..

Last edited by Trudy; 11-21-2001 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:38 AM   #5  
Net browser

Default ....I'm feeling better

Hi Everybody when the freezing came out yesterday my mouth was really sore and I could not wear my partial plate to bed last night. I sept really well and this morning, the inside of my mouth was quite swollen but I can't say that I have any pain. I have already been to the dentist this morning, and he thinks I am doing well. He said not to bother coming tomorrow but to come in on Monday. Things are looking good.
Maria you are going to be the loveliest "Mother of the Bride" that anyone has ever seen. Because of the pictures that are taken at the wedding it's important that you look and feel your best, since those pictures are "forever". Hmmmm, now you are thinking of getting a job. I guess it is somewhat difficult for you, to be away from your family and friends. I think about you often and sometimes I envy you your life style, and at other times I'm just happy to have mine. I think the expression, "the grass is always greener on the other sdie of the fence" is probably quite true. Family and friends do tend to take up a large portion of our lives. When DH and I go away to Hawaii for the month, I look forward to seeing everybody when I get home. You have had quite a bit of company this year so that is good. I know you are close to your children and love to spend time with them too. Maybe if you could just get a part time postion someplace, that would do it for you.
Peggy boy it sure sounds like you and your partner are on to a good thing with those Santa's of yours. Well done at the craft sale.
Lily geez, I was so wrapped up with my dental implants I didn't even wish you a happy holiday. I hope you have a lovely time.
Peggy ST I sure hope your puppy is ok. I love dogs........well I love all animals but especially dogs. It appears that your weight loss has gone ok for you. Yikes it seems the weight goes on so easily but it's soooo hard to take it off. I do best at Weight Watchers (and weight loss) when I walk every morning on my treadmill and when I faithfully keep my journal. I also like to have snacks on hand (that I have made) and know how to count. My BIG favorite now is to make" Sugar Cinnamon Crisps" using won ton wrappers instead of the tortilla. They are crisper and I like that......of course I like the sweet taste too.
Trudy thank you for being such a supportative friend, you really are a sweetheart.

~~~~~~HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 11-22-2001, 04:10 PM   #6  
Conquering with SBD

Hi, everyone,

Hoping that everyone is enjoying their turkey with family and friends. We all have so much to be thankful for and what a great way to stop and consider all the freedoms and privileges that we enjoy.

Maria - It is good the hear that Taliban are being defeated and that women are being granted a few more freedoms in Afghanistan. Hubby and I just returned from the Middle East (Qatar) mid-October, and were following the news quite closely while we were there. The hotel that we were staying at was beside an American military installation. The last two weeks that we were there, the airplane activity increased dramatically, so we knew that it was just a matter of time before action would be taken. We flew out of Bahrain the Friday before the bombing started, so were thankful to be on our own soil again. Fortunately, Qatar is a more liberal country than Afghanistan and there is not as much discrimination against the women in that country. They are definitely treated as lesser people than men, or boys, but are not physically abused or mistreated as the women living under the Taliban regime. But when you really consider it, we still fight discrimination in our countries today - lesser pay for the same jobs, men promoted before women, industries that are distinctly for men or for women, etc. Qatar reminded me of what I have read about the women at the turn of the century, lobbying for the vote; or what we have seen with women in our generations, moving from homemakers to career women. Middle Eastern women just have so much further to go, but are lobbying to obtain more rights all the time. They do, also, have Islamic law, based on their religion to contend with. I wouldn't want to be in that position myself, so am thankful for living in a country that recognizes rights and allows me the freedom to express myself.

Slavika - so good to hear that the procedure went well. You take care of yourself and let others pamper you while you recover - could take, what, 5 or 6 months. LOL

Peggy - Yes, I am also a Margaret. My mother's name is Margaret, hence I was called Peggy, so that I would know when I was in trouble growing up and not mistakenly think it was my mother that was being disciplined. LOL Your craft show sounds like it was a roaring success. Do you have pics of the snowmen. If so, attach one so that the rest of us can see.

Trudy - The weight gain I have had over stress has been very frustrating, indeed. Just before I started WW, the doctor gave me a shot to kick start my metabolism initially. He told me to monitor my weight and my stress level and if I noticed a significant weight gain to come see him right away. He takes blood tests to see if I am producing the chemical that shuts down my metabolism, and if I am, then gives me another shot to kick start again. Sooo, since July, I have had 2 shots. Hopefully, this won't become a habit, but at least I know what to watch for now.

Maria - It's so good to hear that you were able to get the body suit. I bought one a few years ago and, like you said, spend all the time fiddling with the hooks. I finally cut the little part that fits under the crotch off, hemmed it to be like a long, form fitting teddy. That works very well and stays in place because of the elasticity. I also saw (at Walmart in Canada), the same thing in a slip concept. They are longer and fit like a body slip. I bought two of those (1 white, 1 black), and wear them almost all the time with suits and dresses. They make all my body parts more smooth and come down mid-thigh, so slim my thighs and rear end, also. I love them. If you see that kind of thing, try them, too. When is the wedding? It sounds like you will look like a dream.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying OP for the weekend. If not completely OP, then following a plan to make sure that there is not tooooooo much damage. Have a great time. I'll talk to you all again on Monday.

Luv,
Old 11-22-2001, 05:11 PM   #7  

I ate too much, I ate too much, I ate too much. Now I feel like the stuffed turkey. But it was good. Maria it might be a good idea to get a job for awhile. It might make the time go faster and you won't get bored. I have a December job. I help my nieces with their mail room business. I help pack the boxes of presents that people ship out. It is fun but tiring. And it is always fun to see what people send and to hunt for the "perfect" box to pack it in. Peggyst my mother was a Margaret also. Slavika how is your mouth feeling today? That is a heck of way to go on a diet. Your new snack sounds too good. I don't think I could eat just one or two of those. My dh wants to play on the computer now.
Old 11-23-2001, 02:56 AM   #8  

G'day all

Well I lost the best post I have ever written (I can say that because you will never know any different ) into cyberspace .

The good news is that I walked to and from town yesterday with no ill effects! I did rest in the park on the way home. It is a 50 minute return walk, not counting the time I spent meandering around the shops.

Slavika so pleased to hear you are doing well, evnthough you say it is not too painful, it sounds pretty painful to me
You are right the grass is always greener on the other side albeit your grass is covered with that white stuff for a lot of the time . I think because we are counting down now to going home, it makes one a bit homesick and the thought of moving to Sydney after only 2 weeks home is a bit disapppointing. Never mind, I am keen to try and get some part time work and if not work I will do some study to keep me off the streets.

Peggy ST what an experience to be in the Middle East when you were My dh was in India for 10 days mid September, that was worrying enough.
You are right how lucky we are, I visited the web site of RAWA, (fighting for rights for the women of Afghanistan) it is an unbelievable web site but not for the faint hearted.
My daughter's wedding is on January 26, which also happens to be Australia Day.
I will practice wearing my bodysuit before the wedding.

I have also been a bit busy (showing off ) with uploading some more pictures in my photoalbum. I have named the album 'for my cyber friends'. I am very pleased with the framing of my cross stitch, the photo is not that clear because it has plastic wrapped around the picture which I thought I would leave on until I get home. The adress again is http://www.picturetrail.com/ and my member name is 'flaggies'.
I hope you like them, it is just a bit of fun.

DH is away for the weekend at future s-i-l's buck show. The good thing is that it makes it very easy to stay OP

Take care all
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-23-2001 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:41 PM   #9  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Maria hi, there, I went and had a look at your album and the cross stitch picture you did looks lovely ............and looks like a lot of work. I have done a few needlepoint pictures, but have never tried cross stitch.
My mouth is kind of sore today. I tried to count and I think there is about 13 stitches in my gum and I think they are bugging me. Also, the swelling has gone down in the inside of my mouth but now it seems one side of my jaw is swollen on the outside.
I was going to go and see Harry Potter with my son/dil and kids, but didn't feel up to it. I did manage to at least bake a couple of batches of shortbread cookes, which I better get into the freezer before DH eats them all. Oh well, I can make more.

I hope all of you that celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday had a wonderful day.
Have a nice evening everybody, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:10 PM   #10  
Life Time 2001

PeggyST: Incredible story. It sounds like its working now with the Dr's help. Must be really hard when the stress does happen. Has the DR given you any more info into the problem? If Wieghing everyday helps then do it! You need to do what works for you. What an experience in the middle east for you.

Slavika: Glad the surgery is over. Now to the healing. That takes time. Hows it going? I think I wouldve rather gone to Pittsburg to!

Peggy: I bet they did fight over the snowmen. They are so cute! I havent seen anything like that here. Maybe I will when the craft shows start up here, which should be next weekend.

Maria: Wow I didnt get a book with my Mastercook. Maybe cuz I always buy them when they are 10$ deals A temp job sounds good. Will keep you somewhat busy. Im sure it does get boring at times. Loved the pics! That bird is beautiful and so in the Bird of Paradise. You must of spent alot of time on the needle work to. Its beautiful! Also glad you didnt get any rain in that champange

Trudy: Im sure you are taking good care of our Slavika. Make sure shes rests!

Well the trip was just wonderful............. I really dont like going down there at all and Im so happy to be home! I like DH's parents. I just dont like bugs and ants and they have quite a few. Im itching all the time im there. She said she spent a major time cleaning, well could of fooled me So needless to say Im glad Im back home. Did have a nice Turkey day dinner and a little to much wine. So its back to the grind stone. Dont know if I gained until tomorrow but Im dropping the points anyways as I feel like I have.

Oh Forgot Karen WW called me to work for them. Dont really know anything yet until I return the call on Monday. But Im excited they finally called! I did call her a month ago and never heard anything until now.

Have a great night all!

Last edited by LilyG; 11-24-2001 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:26 PM   #11  
Net browser

Default ....welcome home Lily

Hi Everybody
My mouth is feeling pretty good today. It's funny, but I thought that I would likely lose weight this week since it seems that I have hardly had anything at all to eat.........not the case. I guess even if I am not eating "really solid" food I am still eating. I made rice pudding and have been eating that, some egg nog, Lipton's Noodle Soup......I guess the points add up. I have not even kept track of points thinking I was no where near my daily limit but I will start tracking again today. Weight Watcher's is on Tuesday and I would sure like to see a little bit of a loss. Trudy and I go a little earlier so that we get a chance to chat with the other members. Sometimes we learn as much from them as we do from our leader. Everybody has experiences and recipes to share, so it's never dull. A lot of the members just get weighed in and then leave..........I will never understand the reasoning behind that, unless of course you have an appointment you simply must keep. When I have had a "bad" week, weight wise, the other members are always so supportative, and encouraging. I think it helps to keep you going for another week. Lily you would do well at WW. Would you want to be a Leader, or would you rather start off taking the fees from the members? Karen have things slowed up any for you yet? How are your meetings? Do most of the members stay or do they get weighed in and then leave? Do you like for your groups to contribute to the meeting or would you rather just give your lecture, and maybe take questions at the end?
Have a nice Sunday everybody. I'll come back later to see if anybody else has posted.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:56 PM   #12  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: I just want to be a receptionist. I know I dont have the time to devote to being a Leader. Maybe at some other time but right now, I know its just not possible.

Going to do christmas cards today and get them ready to go. DH is traveling next week and he likes to help so we are going to get them done today!
Old 11-25-2001, 07:50 PM   #13  

Just sat down to read what's going on in the world of my cyber friend.

Slavika. your mouth sounds sore. Don't envy you at all. Pittsburg sounds like much more fun.

Lily glad to hear that WW finally called you. I agree if you have any kind of life at all the receptionist job is the one to take. Although some would like to never do the paper work. For me being a leader is fun but I do miss the days of letting someone else do all the ordering and hauling of products and meeting room supplies.

Slavika to answer you question. I love to have the members kind of take the ball and run. Some times it's hard to get them to talk. Then again sometimes you can't get a word in edgewise(that is a good thing) As to how many stay for my meeting most of the time 2/3 of the people who weigh in stay. At my Tuesday night If I have 44 weigh I get 40 who stay and the same with the Wed. morning group. The other groups are hard to figure. I agree with you about not understanding why some pay and weigh and then are gone on the next breath.

Well I've not been feeling very go for the past 2 weeks and finally went to the doctor last Friday. I have a nice case of bronchitis. So now I get to take the biggest horse tablets I have ever seen. Im feeling a little better now i know it will take a while before I am truly up to par.

Maria you are getting around nicely that is good to hear.

Got to go Got a little child standing beside me wanting attention
Karen

Last edited by Karen L; 11-26-2001 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:16 PM   #14  

G'day all,

I had a lovely weekend and have walked an incredible amount I also gave my body suit a trial run , I am so pleased, it looked great, verrry streamlined . I put it on at 11 in the morning and did not take it off till 11.30 that nigth, it wasn't as though I couldn't wait to get out of it. Plenty of practice with the hook and eyes 'thingies' and again no problem.
All ready now except for the shoes. I also put a bit of tanning stuff on my legs, got a little carried away but it looks ok.

Lily pleased you had a good break. I am surprised that it is such a wait to become a receptionist or leader for WW. It is definetly run quite differently here, a lot less like a business but more as a volunteer type thing. Leaders and receptionists do get paid but for the amount they get you would not being doing it for the money.

Slavika Your mouth does sound so sore and uncomfortable. It is disappointing when you are only eating 'mushie' things that even that can exceed the point quota
You should be fairly right by Christmas.

Karen you must have been feeling lousy these past few weeks. I had broncial-asthma many years ago when I was still a dedicated smoker and I thought I was going to die Glad you went to the doctor and that you are on the way of getting yourself right.

Did some more wedding shopping this morning, does this ever stop Keep on telling dh that I have just about made all the purchases and then the Visa card gets another bash, oh well.

Received some nice emails today from my cousin who has arrived safely home in the Netherlands and also some emails from ex work colleagues.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 11-26-2001, 12:42 PM   #15  

I was checking to see what was new with all of you and there was Slavika talking about food. I am starving and today I can only have clear liquids because tomorrow is my colonoscopy. I went past White Castle early this morning and even those looked good. Oh to have some of that rice pudding. I will probably waste away to nothing. LOL!!! Karen get better soon. That is no fun to have. Lily how exciting to hear from WW. Too bad you and Karen don't live closer. You could be the receptionist and she could be the leader. What a great meeting. Lily we are changing the snowgirl next year. She will have on old hats with veils and old small purses and different stuff like that. Even earrings. Some people are copying them so we want to change them a little. I have to go clean and dust. See you all later, Peggy
Closed Thread