3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   WW Clubs and Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups-106/)
-   -   50 or more #77 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-clubs-groups/10439-50-more-77-a.html)

JanetMae 10-23-2001 01:05 PM

50 or more #77

If you have 50 or so pounds to lose, this is the group for you! So jump on in and join; you'll be sure to get a warm welcome.

gmalil 10-23-2001 01:24 PM

Well, hush my mouth!! My texan grandad and grandmother are probably rolling their eyes:rolleyes: at my not knowing what 'decked out' meant! I just jumped to the wrong conclusion. Thanks for setting me straight.
texaslady, if I had thought to mention it to Linda before I sent packages to you and Carol, I am sure she would hve included her saftey pin pins, and I keep giving the ones away that she gives to me! She makes a nice little flag from safty pins and seed beads.

AND! I don't think I ever knew about Linda's mandolin!

My seminars at the show were such fun!! I really enjoyed my weekend. Besides, it was OP friendly! The food at the place was not good and was very expensive, so didn't over do. and there was LOTS of walking!
Jan, the glass fusing is not the bead making with torch, but fusing glass and paint on top of glass to make plates etc. I finished one that is beautiful, and have another one that I need to get the mold for to melt it in. They are done in th ekiln at 1500 degrees. But in my quest for glass, I have discovered a marvelous little shop that teaches the procedure that you speak of, I can hardly wait to find time to investigate further. They also teach stained glass, I plan to do one or the other after the first of the year.

I just finished planting my own little 'Victory Garden' by our front door. Red roses, white alyssum, and blue lobelia. I think it will be pretty when it perks up. Uncle Sam is standing in the middle of it.

But now must get back to getting the inside of my house in order..I'm having a Bible study group tomorrow for our little potluck Fellowship time...it's always a fun time, I chose Chinese chicken salad for the menu, but everybody else brings the ingredients, i just provide the drinks and paper plates.

saarao 10-23-2001 01:37 PM

whoops

I just posted on the old thread, but I'll copy paste it here too.
So here we go:

Hello ladies!
I'm so sorry I've been absent for so long, but here I am again. I'm doing great, having a great time. School keeps me fairly busy, but it's not too hard so I still have time to do all kinds of fun stuff. We do have lots of parties, of course, especially with all the other crazy Scandinavians :) ...

I don't even remember if I ever told you about the classes I'm taking here at the U of Utah. Anyhow, I'm taking american foreign policy, U.S. national security policy, introduction to ethnic studies, and chicano/a experience. So basically politics and diversity. I do like my classes a lot, and especially the politics classes are really relevant right now. I'm trying to figure out a topic for a 30-40 page paper I need to write for my univ. in Finland before I start working on my master's. So hopefully I can combine some of the final papers for my classes here and start from that...

Well, the trip tp Yellowstone over the labor day weekend was great. It was so beautiful! And we saw plenty of buffaloes too. The weather was really good, still warm and sunny. I took so many pictures. I hope I have time to scan some of them one of these days and post them on the web for everyone to see...

Couple of weeks ago we had the fall break, and went to Lake Powell for the weekend. I was so great. Beautiful scenery. We had a motor boat so we were cruising around the lake, and did a little tubing. It was so much fun. Other did waterskiing too, but I didn't.

Last weekend I went to San Francisco. I met a friend of mine from Finland there and we went to see some concerts. On Friday we just walked around the city and saw a band at a club. I really love San Francisco, it's a beautiful city. On Saturday we went to Mountain View to the Shoreline Amphitheater to see a benefit concert. It was Ben Harper, Tracy Chapman, Billy Idol, REM, Dave Mathew, Pearl Jam, and Neil Young. I was awesome! I'm so happy I get to go. I've always wanted to see Pearl Jam and REM, and now I finally did.

I was also great to get away from here for awhile. Although I really like it here, it does get kind of too much sometimes. I live on the so called global floor at the dorms, and we're like one big family, always doing things together and hanging out together all the time. On the other hand it's nice, you never have to be alone, but on the other hand, you can get tired of it... After being here for more than two months (time just flies!!!!!), I've also started to find out who are the people that are "my kind of people" those that I really like, and who are the ones I don't care so much about... but the "problem" here is that I still have to see all the people all the time. Or it's not actually a problem, but I'm just kind of picky with people, and at home I would only hang out with the people I really want to hang out with. And there's plenty of those. I don't know if this makes any sense to you guys...
I was emailing my Dad about this and he pointed out that it's like working at a job, there's always those people you don't really care about, but have to get along with them anyways, especially if they're your bosses... so I guess this is a good learning experience for me.

Well, let's see, what else... I've been doing pretty well on my papers and midterms. As I mentioned I've been partying a lot, having a great time. I've made some really good freinds already, and I'm dreading Xmas break already, since some of them will already go home... I've also been a big sports fan here. I've only been to one football game, but a lots of ice-hockey games. It's lot of fun, especially beacause some of the hockey player live on the floor above us, so we know them.
One thing I haven't done is been on a date. Still waiting for the real american date...

As for weightloss, I did gain a little in the beginning, but now my weght has stabilized, and hopefully will start losing again. The food at the cafeteria is pretty bad, except for the salad. The veggie food is always the same, pasta and tomatosauce. They also have veggie burgers. I don't think those are too bad, if you don't add mayo... The ice cream fortunately sucks, but the chocolate chip cookies are my weakness! and whenever they have brownies... Oh, well, it's a constant struggle, and I'm not the only one struggling. But what really bugs me is these tiny skinny girls who are always talking about them needing to start a diet... I know it's one thing wanting to eat healthy (that's the reason for some), but it's another thing to complain about the size of your butt when there's nothing to complain about. And I think it's especially rude to do it in front of me. But I've always been around people like that, so I guess I should be used to it. Sometimes it just makes me mad though.

Oh, well, I really need to get some schoolwork done. Have a great week everyone! I'll try to drop by more often. I missed you guys! Saara.

Rymsh 10-24-2001 04:22 AM

Good morning, everyone!
Saara!!! Welcome back!!:D It's so good to finally hear from you! You sure do have a lot going on these days! It sounds like you're enjoying things so far for the most part. What an interesting time to be studying American politics, diversity and government! Glad you got to Yellowstone- you are one up on me! I've never been there. Of course, I've never been a lt of places in D.C. either and it's only 1/2 hour up the road! I hope you'll get a chance to check in regularly now that you're "back"!!
Joyce, I had to laugh. I'm familiar with the expression "decked out" and new what Texaslady meant, so when you said you were sorry the box had gotten broken, I just thought I'd missed something in her post! Didn't realize the confusion in terms till Jan pointed it out. My mother used to use that expression when she or my dad would get all dressed up. Speaking of the box, my little sweetie loves mine- whenever he comes in my room he picks it up gently, removes and replaces the lid several times and then carefully puts it back. Grandma has told him it's a special gift from a special friend and he has to treat it gently if he wants to play with it! Glad you enjoyed the seminars. Your victory garden sounds wonderful! You'll have to post a picture when it's in full bloom.
Elaine, I'm glad you managed to stay pretty much op over the weekend- it's not easy!! Good luck on your weigh in tomorrow
Jan, I'm less than impressed with the Heart to Heart Kashi. It's ok, but it tastes a lot like regular old Cheerios to me. It has lots of antioxidants in it, supposedly. I won't go out of my way to buy it again. I didn't realize you played guitar! How are the party plans coming?
Texaslady, take time to breathe, girl!! You're coming down the home stretch now!! I'm sure hoping for beautiful fall weather for you on Saturday!!
Well, I'd better run. This will be a long day. I work 6-2 at my regular job and 3-8 at a flu clinic. I haven't decided whether to hope the flu thing will be busy so the time goes quickly or quiet so I can sit down occasionally!
Hi to Janet, Linda, Beth, Rebecca and anyone I missed. Have a great day, everyone!
Carol :wave:

texaslady 10-24-2001 09:28 AM

Hi, its me again! Just for a minute. I was on the internet checking out getting dd's bouquet pressed into a floral portrait (see www.thefloralportrait.com). I think these people are local and if so I can run the flowers over to the on Monday after the wedding.

Gotta go & finish up multiple tasks today & pick up dd's wedding gown after lunch. She is renting a van and we will pack it up tonight with the large centerpieces, favors, cameras, and everything else that goes to the reception & take it over first thing in the morning before swinging by the church for a last meeting. Hopefully they will let me try to get a pew bow on a pew! I am not sure how I will accomplish that since the church allows no tape on the pews. Iwant to see if I can attached a bow to a ribbon tied around the top of the pew - hope that works!

Talk to you after the big event. Yes, I WILL post pics. Bye for now.

JanetMae 10-24-2001 05:24 PM

Saara, it's so good to hear from you again! Wow, you have had some terrific trips; San Francisco is our favorite city in the world, and I've always wanted to see Yellowstone. I know what you mean about being around the people you enjoy, and I agree with you, it isn't always easy to be around the "others" constantly. But your Dad had a good point; that's definitely a preview of the working world. Way to go on maintaining your weight loss! Sure wish they had better salads and such for you there. Do you like tuna? There are these little envelopes of water-packed tuna that came out recently. They'd fit in a purse just fine, and you could put them on your salad for more protein.

Carol, there you go with those marathon schedules again! Makes me tired just thinking about it. How long will you be doing double shifts like that? Re: party plans, am already polishing and cleaning, and buying some of the groceries. We'll have about 40-50 people over for dinner. We do this every year, but it's bigger this year because it's his 85th. He's really looking forward to it!

Texaslady, if anyone can attach those bows without tape, I know you can! Those floral portraits look lovely; what a terrific idea! I know that you, your dd and future sil, and all your guests will have a marvelous time this weekend; will be thinking of you!

JOYce, a victory garden, what a great idea! Glad you had such fun at your classes, and congrats on staying OP. Way to go! Have fun at your Bible study tomorrow.

Made a great discovery yesterday, a one-point hamburger bun! They're small, but really good; had a Boca burger on one at lunch today. I think they're called Nature's Own sugarfree hb buns.

Hi to Elaine, Janet, Rebecca, and Beth; hope all is well. (Beth, where are you? We miss you!)

Regards,
Jan

Linda Jean 10-25-2001 12:34 PM

texaslady, nope, none of the beautiful pins were from me; JOYce was totally responsible. As JOYce said though, had I known she was sending little "decked out" boxes, I would have included some of my pins. They are made of safety pins and seed beads. JOYce has been turning out her flag pins like mad -- every time I talk to her, she's got another trayful drying!

Does anyone watch the tv show, "West Wing"? It is so fast-paced, I feel like my brain is spinning at times, trying to keep up with all of the story lines!

Make it a great day!

Kudzu 10-25-2001 12:58 PM

HI!

Hey girls. I only have time for a quick post, but I wanted to check in so that you would know that I was still around. I know I promised to start posting regularly again, but I haven't been able to post from work, and I was without a phone line for almost two weeks at home. I think my mice have been feasting on wires in the walls. I actually grew to enjoy the phone not ringing. Of course, I still had my daughter's separate phone line in her room and my cell phone, so I never really felt cut off.

I haven't really been able to read all the posts, but I hope everyone is doing good. JOYce, thank you for sending me the email about the picture. You and Jan looked beautiful in your red tops (very patriotic) and I know you two enjoyed being together. I've had the pleasure of meeting Jan's DH so I know what a wonderful man he is, and your DH looked just like the wonderful, kind person you have described him to be. Y'all were two very handsome couples!! I really wish I could have been there since you were so close, but we were in Birmingham for a Point of Grace concert. It was wonderful, very inspirational and uplifting, and I felt renewed after that weekend. I love their music, but had never seen them perform "live."

Carol, I enjoyed talking to you the other night on the phone. I have been thinking about you a lot lately (not that I don't always do that). So much has been happening in your area, and I worry about you. I think I remember you asking me about a "pronto pup." I was glad that I could stump you again. A pronto pup is just a hot dog that has been battered and fried in deep fat (very low calorie and healthy I'm sure) :D. They are a tradition at our state fair and it has always been my favorite thing to eat there...and since it only comes once a year I don't feel too bad. JOYce, that reminds me about the peanuts. I chuckled when I read your description of them being "interesting." :lol: They truly must be an acquired taste, but I will tell you like I told Carol, I would never buy them from a road side stand. There is an art to boiling them, and if I could ever give your DH any that I had cooked, I guarantee that he would be hooked...especially if he is a fan of nuts.

Texaslady, you have been in my thoughts often lately. I know you are in a whirlwind of activities right now. What fun you must be having, even if sometimes things get a little hectic. I can't wait to do all those things with my DD. Take a huge deep breath, relax and have a wonderful time. After seeing the flowers and things you were already working on when I was at your house, I have no doubt that everything is going to be PERFECT! I can't wait to see pics.

Saara, I'm glad you reported in. We have been worried about you. It sounds like you are having a great time!!

Elaine, WELCOME to the group. I am just a little older than you, divorced after being married for almost 20 years, and I have one 18 year old daughter who just started college this semester. I dated a man who was originally from New York for awhile, and we had talked about getting married and moving there. We would have lived in upstate(??) New York though. It has been years since I was in New York city, but I loved it. My daughter begged me to take her there for New Year's Eve two years ago when my friend and I were still dating, but we ended up not going. My thoughts have been with your city so often lately, and you have all been in my prayers. I was very interested in hearing about your musical interests too. I love all kinds of music and muscial instruments, although I don't play anything anymore. I used to play the harmonica and the piano. My daughter has a great deal of musical talent, but she definitely didn't inherit it from me.

Hi to Linda Jean. I was thinking the other day about what a wonderful asset you are to this group. You are always quick to post praise and encouragement to others, and I can tell that you just have a kind heart!

I better get ready for lunch :D and do a little work. I'm sure my employer would appreciate that. Hi to everyone I missed. I did pretty good for "just a quick post" didn't I?? ;)

Janet (Kudzu)

ElaineR. 10-25-2001 05:08 PM

Hi everybody,

I am sorry I don't really have much time to respond to the posts right now.. but I did want to report my weigh-in... finally broke the 200LB mark.. down to 198.. yahoo!

Best,
Elaine
NYC

204/198/135

Linda Jean 10-26-2001 12:00 AM

Hooray for Elaine!

Elaine, what a milestone to be under 200! That is just super! You are definitely on your way, now. I am really happy for you; keep up the good work.

I saw the beginnings of JOYce's victory garden this morning when I picked her up for MOW. She has very neat rows of red, white and blue flowers -- it is going to be amazing. She does more in one day than I do in five, I do believe.

Janet, good to hear from you again, and I am glad that you posted such an informative, newsy message even though you had thought you were just going to "pop in" for a few seconds. And my gosh, thank you for your very kind words! I was kind of taken aback to read what you said about me! :o

Make it a great Friday!

gmalil 10-26-2001 01:50 AM

Going AWOL

Just popping in to say Hi and Bye...going up to Mothers for the weekend. She was just released from the hospital after being thre for a week, sounds like she is dong fine. I had planned this trip even before she was hospitalized. i had hoped that dd was going with me, but she opted not to go afterall, I was looking forward to her doing the driving ....I will do just fine, I always do. the 200 miles just gets longer each time I go. :lol: or so it seems. I'll stop by and weigh in before I go, there is an 8:00 a.m. meeting now, and I don't like to get on the freeway til after 9 in order to avoid the traffic...

I just got all my photos from New Awlins put in the photo album, so I can show Mother and sisters, it was like reliving the whole trip! I so enjoyed it!! <<<sigh>>>

DH finally got to the endodontist who will do a root canal next week, he put him on antibiotics, which have made him really sick tonight! :( poor baby!

I best go get some good sleep so I will be rested for my 'big trip' tomorrow! :lol:

JanetMae 10-26-2001 09:44 AM

Elaine , congrats for breaking the 200 mark! That's fantastic! You are off to such a great start. :)

Janet, sorry about the mice and the phone line! Glad you have it back now. That concert sounded like fun; glad you got the chance to hear them live. What a great way to celebrate your birthday! Did your dd go with you? How does she like college life?

JOYce, I guess you're already on your way to see your Mom. I didn't realize she'd been in the hospital lately; glad to hear she's doing better. Sounds like a long drive, but I know you'll enjoy the visit with your family.

Linda, Janet is so right, your kindness really does shine through in all your posts. This whole group is so supportive; I feel so lucky to have all of you folks as cyber-buddies!

What are everyone's weekend plans? I'm just staying home and getting ready for our historical society festival next weekend. And we know what Texaslady and JOYce are doing. Carol, will you get to rest, after all those long double shifts this week? Saara, are you taking another cool trip?

Jan

gmalil 10-26-2001 12:43 PM

"ONE"derland

Congrats Elaine! I look forward to the day when I get back in the "ONES"! Oh those terrible TWOS!!

I REALLY am on the road now, my bags are by the front door, I have weighed in with a 1.4 loss, got another 5 pound bookmark, for my new beginning.

bye again!

Rymsh 10-26-2001 05:33 PM

Hi all! TGIF!!! If I didn't know better, though, I'd swear there was a full moon! It was one of those wierd type days at work!
Texaslady, I know you aren't sitting around reading posts, but my thoughts are with you for your dd's special day tomorrow!!! I can't wait to hear all about it! The floral portrait should be lovely- I checked out their site. What a special remembrance of their special day!!!
Jan, it sounds like you are in for a wee deserved relaxing weekend for a change! Enjoy! I admire you for planning dinner for 40-50 people for your dad's birthday! I can't even imagine preparing food for such a crowd! :dizzy: My flu clinics run through December 8th, so there goes my weekends for the next 6 weeks, along with a few evenings during the week. I'm only doing a total of 9 clinics- a few less than previous years. I'm already feeling it- a 14 hour day followed by a 12 hour day kind of reminded me how old I am!! :D This too shall pass, and the money will be helpful.
Elaine, Hooray for you for breaking the 200 mark!! :) That is such an important milestone! Now you need to vow to yourself that you will never again be on the other side of that mark! Keep up the great work.
Linda, your safety pin flags sound so cute! What patience that must take- not to mention good hand-eye coordination!:lol: You and Joyce are such talented ladies.
Janet, you Southerners deep fry all kinds of strange things, don't you!?! :lol: First pickles, now hot dogs- what next!?!:D It is a little intimidating being so close to DC- one of the postal workers who died lived in Clinton, which is where my office is, and went to one of my coworkers' church. In fact, he collapsed in church. This morning some time they roped off the post office right next to the grocery store I stopped in on my way to work near the Virginia office. It wasn't roped off when I was there at 7, so they must have found something when they opened. It's all around us here, possibly more than anywhere else in the country, but people seem to be handling it pretty well without overreacting. It's always in the back of the mind, though, that family or friends will be touched by this madness.
Joyce, I didn't realize your mom was in the hospital. Did you not mention it, or did I just miss it? If I missed it, I apologize for not asking after her. I'm glad she's home, and hope she is well on the mend. Have a good weekend visit with her! Congrats on the 1.4 pound loss!!! You're back in the groove!
I'd better run- dsil ordered Chinese :eek:, and it should be here any minute. Have a great weekend, everyone.
Carol

Linda Jean 10-28-2001 01:57 AM

Good Sunday morning to all!

Jan, thank you for your kind words. I have always felt that you are one of our greatest encouragers. You are right; this really is a very supportive group; aren't we blessed, though.

Carol, the flag pins that I do do take a certain amount of patience, but absolutely no talent -- whereas JOYce's crafts take a lot of skill! I need very simple things to do, being a bear of very little brain.... I still haven't been able to track down the right sized pins, I am now out of them completely. Anyway, you were sweet to comment on them. :)

I started thinking about texaslady when I got out of bed this morning -- by now, I imagine that everything is swept up and I hope that she is sleeping peacefully, dreaming of the perfect wedding day she provided for her DD and DSIL. A very well-earned and -deserved rest, I am sure. It will be fun to see the pictures she'll post.

DH and I are redoing the courtyard a bit -- he put up new gutters and added an arbor over it (where it was open to the sky), and I'm going to get busy replanting it. I'm so excited about this endeavor!