Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Whole Foods chat for Oct. 16-22, 2006

I'm getting an early headstart on the week's chat thread. So how is everyone doing?

We have the Air Force in this week doing some testing, then on Thursday morning I'm leaving for Great Lakes, IL where my DS will graduate from Navy boot camp on Friday. I'm really looking forward to it even though I'm going by myself. I've met a few of the other moms thru a discussion board I found, so hopefully it won't be so lonely.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:41 AM   #2  

Kathy, I hope you have a good trip to IL and congrats to your son. My life should slow down a little now that football, soccer and cross country have wound down. Maybe dear old mom can up the exercise to match the kids, or at least not be an embarrassment. I'm supposed to go camping on Friday with the Boy Scouts. I'll have to plan some take along food for myself for that and hope the weather turns miraculously warmer.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #3  

Kathy, have a good trip and congrats to your son. Joyofsix, have fun camping--that sounds like quite an adventure.

I'm still creeping back to something resembling normal after the whirlwind that was late September/early October. I had a great performance at my race yesterday after a season of disappointment and now I'm extra motivated to eat well to help even more. This week should be relatively calm, with a massage even scheduled for Friday, then next week life gets busy again for a couple weeks with some business travel and the Halloween festivities. DD should have a blast this year though, so I'm hoping it will be fun!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 PM   #4  

hello everyone hope you don't mind if i join in, sounds like you are all doing very well.
anne- it is so cute to go through the holidays with a little one have fun!! my youngest is now 11 and all of the excitement has sort of wound down for him if you know what i mean. glad your world is calming a bit. take good care of yourself.

kathy- congrats to your son!! you must be so proud, what an adventure going to IL hope you have a wonderful trip!

joyofsix- what a brave mom going camping with the scouts, your schedule sounds a lot like my own 3 kiddos always running in different directions. have a great camping trip!! i hope you have a really warm sleeping bag!!

me- well it is home coming week here for my DS and DD. This is the first big school dance either one has gone to. i'm not sure who's more excited... them or me?? i'll be busy all week with the details. saturday should be a lot of fun! have a great week everyone!
justjodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #5  

Thank you very much, all of you! I'm very excited ... he's my oldest (28) and has struggled with life for several years. I'm hoping that he will do well and find his niche. So far, he says it's fun. Heck, if he could just learn not to be such a slob, I'd be happy. It seems like they're shaping him up though, because he told me they get up during the night to iron their clothes. I had to make him repeat it.

I am excited for those of you with small kids.

Anne, Halloween should be so much fun this year for your baby girl!

And Joy, when my DS was in Scouts I just loved going places with them.

Jodi, what special memories I have of Homecoming! I always made the mums or garters for my kids, then sat and waited for them to come home.

Now that mine are 20 (gone, living with her BF about an hour from here), 22 (still at home and a senior in college) and 28 (the one in the Navy) ... I find myself dressing the Chihuahua up in a little dress just so I can have my baby. And yes, everyone thinks I've lost it.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 365/345/half-marathon

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone! Thought I'd jump right in to the chat and introduce myself! But first, let me say this...

Kathy - what a proud mom! Congratulations to your DS on his accomplishment!!!

Joyofsix - what a BUSY mom! Wow!

Anne - good job on your race performance and enjoy that massage!

jodi - I love homecoming! And how exciting - their first dances! Totally OK to be a dorky mom over that - take lots of pictures!

Now me - HI! I'm Alison and although I have lurked on and off at 3FC for YEARS this is the first time in a long time that I am truly ready to make a commitment to getting healthy. As you can see from my signature info, I am on a journey to be a mom - which I hope to get started next summer. I've learned enough in my many years of unsuccesful "dieting" that I just have no interest in being led down that path anymore. I want to live a WHOLE life - with real foods and healthy exercise. So, here I am!

P.S. Please bear with me as I make the transition from junk-food-junkie to whole foods girl. Its going to take me some time to adjust!!

Last edited by Inconceivable; 10-17-2006 at 01:18 PM. Reason: adding a P.S.
Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #7  

Alison, your tracker keeps moving! Congrats on that. You are doing such a good thing for yourself and your children.

It has been an incredibly easy week this week. I had some time on my hands, my eating has been OK, DD is in a relatively good mood and sleeping well, and DH is doing his share of the chores. I keep wondering what I'm forgetting! I'm off work today, DD is just off to daycare, so I'm going for my massage soon, to swim and run some errands. I know it gets easier as DD moves from baby to toddler, and I'm hoping I'm actually seeing that now.

Working on the whole foods eating this week, and not doing so well. Actually, I think I only try to eat whole foods as applied to plant-based foods. I was thinking about that a couple nights ago when I was cutting up a rotisserie chicken. Lots of that (skin, bones, connective tissue) that I'm just not going to eat. Doggies love the skin though.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #8  

I'm having issues. I'm venting. I feel a little too "new" here to vent, so forgive me... but I'm watching Saturday School and bored out of my skull, too... just can't help it.

Here goes: Trying to eat so that it's a weight-loss day AND so that I eat enough satisfying stuff that I don't fall off the wagon at night or the next day has become a bit difficult. That's been my biggest struggle of late--I manage to be good, good, good--and feel good about it--but I get hungry (I think genuine hunger) at night or even the next morning, and before I know it--even if it's "good" food--the calories are no longer reasonable for someone who's trying to actually lose weight.

I feel pretty stable--I don't THINK it's emotional eating, though I have been known to sabotage myself in the past and I keep a vigilant eye out for it.

I think it's just about numbers. I think I'm at the point where I actually have to be on a "diet" to lose weight. Bummer.

I've lost maybe 60 pounds over the last year, I genuinely didn't look at the start, and it has been all about lifestyle change (step one, no fast food; step two, no eating in the car; step three, portion control; from the beginning, working in more whole foods, and out with the worst of the refined crap...). I've been eating 2300-2500 calories a day for the last 6 months and still losing, but more and more slowly.

I've been trying to push that number down, and sometimes for days at a time it's fine, but eventually I fall off the wagon and end up not making wise choices (not binging, by any means, but not planned, either), at the end of the day or even for a day or two in a row. Though it's not a backsliding disaster on the scale by any means, it's not exactly conducive to weight loss either.

Anyway, there will be three of us gals hanging out in the country this weekend and working with/training dogs, and all three of us are dealing with significant weight issues--one counting points on weight watchers, one who had gastric bypass about a year ago, and me doing my own thing.

We get along pretty well--it will certainly be active and fun. I wonder if it will turn into some sort of weight-loss retreat, though... don't know how I feel about that... Sharing and Caring are not always my strong suit, though I do so love to talk through "issues"!

I packed food for myself, but left dinner open. With all the running around I'm going to be doing, there's the potential for a nice healthy, active weekend... I'm trying to remember that I need to eat so that I don't come home starving on Sunday night, especially with the other two women being on fairly restrictive regimes. Wish me luck.

Thanks for letting me vent.
luvmypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #9  

Anne - THANKS!!! I'm definitely feeling grateful that this change of lifestyle is rewarding me with some quick weightloss at first! I'm certainly preparing for the long haul - it won't always be so easy. But it helps to have that instant gratification of seeing the scale move down EVERY day! LOL - I think you're doing just fine on the plant-based whole foods alone - I really don't think there's much health benefit in eating a WHOLE chicken

luvmypup - While I'm too new to offer any meaningful advice, I can certainly extend my empathy to you in the struggles and challenges you're facing. Sending positive heathy thoughts your way!

As for me, doing well - I definitely feel a "tension" in my body that always comes as I get into a "diet" and my body starts to rebel. In the past, I have interpreted this feeling - almost painful - as a sign that my body needs sugar, caffeine and fat. I'm not doing that anymore! I'm trying to deal with the tension itself - relieving it with meditation and stetching instead.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 AM   #10  

I had a nice girls weekend with a couple of really smart chickees. Why I was at all concerned about anything is now absolutely beyond me.
luvmypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #11  

moved to new week's thread